Anime might be cool

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Narratorway

Re: Anime might be cool

Postby Narratorway » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:09 am

Daemian Lucifer wrote:Like night and day.

John

Postby John » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:50 pm

SpammyV wrote: . . . because this is also the franchise that gave us the Zakrello.

So I looked at the robot picture. Of course I looked at the robot picture. (I don't know why some people are so hung up on "cute girls" when there are robots they could be looking at, but whatever.) But, o Spammy, this is possibly the first Mobile Suit (Armor?) that you've shown me that has been weird without also being weirdly charming. Or maybe the thumbnail doesn't do it justice and it's somehow charming when it's in motion. Tell me it's charming when it's in motion, Spammy.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:55 pm

John wrote: (I don't know why some people are so hung up on "cute girls" when there are robots they could be looking at, but whatever.)

Cute robot girls it is:

Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:26 pm

With actual logical explanations for looking like people too!
Choice of gender unexplained until they decide to fill in some backstory for the earlier models in a later thing.
John

Postby John » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:13 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:Cute robot girls it is:

Gah. That thing is creepy. I think it's the human face and the little bow around the neck. It doesn't look like a robot; it looks like a person whose limbs have been amputated and replaced by prosthetics.

I'm just going to sit here shuddering for a while.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:17 pm

John wrote:

Gah. That thing is creepy. I think it's the human face and the little bow around the neck. It doesn't look like a robot; it looks like a person whose limbs have been amputated and replaced by prosthetics.

Sooo,if I understood you correctly,your thoughts are:

SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:35 pm

John wrote:
SpammyV wrote: . . . because this is also the franchise that gave us the Zakrello.

So I looked at the robot picture. Of course I looked at the robot picture. (I don't know why some people are so hung up on "cute girls" when there are robots they could be looking at, but whatever.) But, o Spammy, this is possibly the first Mobile Suit (Armor?) that you've shown me that has been weird without also being weirdly charming. Or maybe the thumbnail doesn't do it justice and it's somehow charming when it's in motion. Tell me it's charming when it's in motion, Spammy.

Ha, no. The Zakrello is stupid and odds are extremely good that the suits made them put it in for merchandise purposes because the Zakrello literally just appears in the hangar of Char's ship in one episode and his reaction is, "Wait we had another Mobile Armor in there?" When it gets blown up he shrugs and says, "I'm not going to get upset over losing a Mobile Armor I didn't know existed."

But if you need a pick-me-up just do what I do and imagine that, if Zeon had mass-produced the B I G Z A M then the One Year War could have ended with a chorus line of B I G Z A M s doing the can-can on top of the burning ruins of Federation HQ.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:59 pm

John wrote:

I do like the idea they're not quite there yet (as the setting is contemporary), especially as it was designed as a weapons platform that had to be able to use a psychological power, but would have to self-identify as a human psyche in order for it to manifest, a tank that could tank would think it's a tank, for example. So they try as much as possible to make a "human" design.
Also there's an earlier one lacking finger-guns. Yes, that weapon is rocket-powered.
Last edited by Ringwraith on Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
John

Postby John » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:13 am

SpammyV wrote:But if you need a pick-me-up just do what I do and imagine that, if Zeon had mass-produced the B I G Z A M then the One Year War could have ended with a chorus line of B I G Z A M s doing the can-can on top of the burning ruins of Federation HQ.

The, er, Big Zam is an interesting case. It's weird, that's for sure. But I think I would have to actually see it doing the can-can before I could call it weirdly charming. To my mind, the thing that elevates the Big Zam over the Zakrello is that this picture of the Big Zam looks much less obviously half-assed than the earlier picture of the Zakrello.

Daemian Lucifer wrote:Sooo, if I understood you correctly, your thoughts are: [Insert Meme Here].

Oddly enough, Adam Jensen really is less creepy than that anime girl-robot-gun-fingered--gun-fingered?--thing, even though he looks less cartoonish. I think it's because of the hip and shoulder joints. The robot girl's limbs look like they can just pop right off. Jensen's seem more firmly attached. Now there's probably a solid, practical case to be made for hot-swappable, plug-n-play limbs for, y'know, robots. So if the robot girl had a robot face, I think I'd be okay with it. But because she's got a human face--or at least a face clearly intended to be human, this being anime--it's total nightmare fuel.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:32 am

Here's my extraordinary claim for the day: Gundam X is a worthy thematic follow-up to War in the Pocket.

War in the Pocket was about reminding the audience that people are dying in Gundam shows. We see the bodies, we see the blood, we spend time getting to know people only to watch them die pointlessly. For every cool mobile suit with a neat gun or an awesome head, and for every sweet looking fight scene, people are dying.

Gundam X is about remind the audience that all the Newtype obsession is effecting people. Gundam X offers a multitude of snapshots of what the word Newtype means to different people, and how that obsession with Newtypes causes harm to the world.

We see where Newtype just means power to people. According to Gundam X, even if you create an Artificial Newtype without mental instability, they'll still suffer bouts of paralyzing pain periodically through their lives, potentially more often the more that they are around other Newtypes. Meaning that, if you believe that Newtypes are a more connected, empathetic form of humanity, Artificial Newtypes created for war need to live in isolation - The opposite of some people's Newtype ideal.

To some people, Newtypes are a threat. It's all good and well to talk about how Newtypes are the next evolution of humanity- But what about the rest of the world? Eventually for people it will turn into a proclamation that, "THIS is the future! ...And everything else is obsolete." People generally don't take to being told that they are obsolete, unneeded, and only fit to be disposed of. And for those people, if a Newtype would be allowed to exist at all, it is only in the form of a tool to serve the rest of humanity.

And tangentially to that, people's obsession with Newtypes is what created the show's main villains. The Frost Brothers have a superhuman power, but because they weren't Newtypes they were essentially discarded by the military, and it's their shame and frustration that drives them to be the major antagonists.

Newtype, as an ideal, is also a tool to control people, or fuel for Spacenoids to spit hate at Earthnoids.

But the show explicitly says that all of this is a mistake. In the finale, they communicate with the consciousness of the first Newtype, who directly says that the concept of Newtypes was something seized on by people looking for a purpose, that he was just a human with some special talents, and that the obsession over Newtypes should have died with him. Also in the end, when Jamil is face to face with the leaders of the New Earth Federation and the Space Revolutionary Army, he cuts off their arguing with, "A Newtype is not God! Nor are they your tool!"

In a sense, the show really contrasts with ZZ Gundam. If I remember the interview correctly, Tomino said that he had all the kids in ZZ Gundam turn out to be Newtypes as an inspiration to the younger members of the audience, that they could be something better. Whereas Gundam X walks in and looks at Cyber Newtype experiments and Haman's Magneto speeches to Judau and then presents some destructive results of Newtype mania.

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”