RPG Questionnaire - REVEAL TO ME YOUR DESIRES

Talk about nerdgames FOR NERDS.
Sudanna

RPG Questionnaire - REVEAL TO ME YOUR DESIRES

Postby Sudanna » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:52 am

So, I'm currently running my first game. It's Apocalypse World, and you could conceivably watch it if you have many hours to spend on very low-quality entertainment https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... CeUhxTSPnx Please don't judge it too harshly, it's my first time, and I know it's bad, especially at the beginning, but it gets better and I'm still getting better! :). Maybe watch the latest episode first if you want to watch it at all, which, again, you probably don't.

Anyways, I expect it to continue for at least a little while. But it will end eventually, and I'd like to run another game after that happens, and I'll probably want to ask for players on this forum! So I'd like to know what you guys are interested in for that. If you have any suggestions for systems, want to explain or qualify your answers to the questions, or anything else, please do so!

Personally, I most want to run Vampire: the Masquerade. I think I've got some great ideas for a possible campaign set in Detroit, and done a lot of prep work just for fun. I love the system and the whole World of Darkness canon. I've also done a lot of preparation for a Stars Without Number campaign. I really want to play in/GM a Burning Wheel campaign, but that game is a monster and I'm afraid of it.

Thank you for responding!

A. Would you be interested in a Skype campaign run by me(Nalyd) using any of the following systems? If you would play in most or all of them, please choose only a few that you are most interested in.

1 Vampire: The Masquerade
2 Stars Without Number
3 Dungeon World
4 Sagas of the Icelanders
5 Dungeons and Dragons Fifth Edition
6 Burning Wheel
7 Shadowrun Fifth Edition
8 Fantasy Flight's Star Wars Systems

B. Would you drastically prefer using a medium other than Skype?

1 No, Skype is fine
2 Chat client - AIM or other chat
3 Mumble
4 Roll20

C. How many players, including you but not the GM, would you most prefer having?

1 3
2 4
3 5
4 6

D. Do you mind, in any capacity, me recording, uploading, and posting sessions to this forum?

1 I don't care.
2 It's okay only if the recordings aren't publicly available.
3 I do not like that.

E. What style of campaign do you prefer? If you like most or all of these options, please choose only a few that you are most interested in.

1 Directed - The campaign has a clear and stated goal from the start, and the players pursue it. There may be twists or brief digressions, but this is the point of the game.
2 "Sandbox" campaign - The GM makes a world and provides hooks or events that allow players to choose from a variety of goals, as well as create and pursue their own agendas.
3 Player-directed - The GM mediates outcomes, provides details, and plays NPCs, but the players actively invent what their characters will do, without any consistent or overarching compulsions or GM interference.
4 Some mix of option 1 and option 2
5 Some mix of option 2 and option 3

F. How much input do you, as a player, want to have on the setting, backstory, NPC characters, etc. of the campaign?

1 The players should do all of this, and the GM should only prompt and enact their decisions.
2 The GM and players should build these things collaboratively from the beginning.
3 The GM should come to the table with solidly fleshed-out ideas for these, and players should have broad freedom to add to, remove, or change aspects both before and during play.
4 Same as above, but player input should be significantly limited after play begins. They should not, for example, be able to create a new NPC for the GM to play, or describe a previously-nonexistent location they would like to visit.
5 The GM should do all of this, and players shouldn't have to worry about it.

G. Which of the following PC-PC interaction norms are acceptable to you?

1 Player characters are strictly teammates and must not disobey the consensus of the other players. The party acts as one.
2 Players are teammates first and foremost, but a select few significant deviations are acceptable.
3 Player characters could be teammates, acquaintances, enemies, or even unknown to each other. Sometimes character's agendas line up and sometimes they conflict. Players trust other players to not be dicks but also accept losses.
4 Players should be in direct competition with each other.
5 PCs could engage in serious personal relationships, which players would act out. It would be okay to both initiate, influence, and refuse interpersonal storylines like this. See Option 3 re: dicks.
6 It's awkward if things get too heavy or personal with our characters. Let's keep it light or skim over that stuff if it is included.

H. Be honest: Do you just wanna fight stuff with dice, you philistines?

1 . . . yes, i am a philistine
2 Why, I never! As a talented thespian, someone capable of truly breathing a soul into these characters, base numbers hold no appeal to my enlightened personage!
3 Mostly, yeah, but sometimes talking is funny and I like that.
4 I want each session to include significant portions of both mechanical considerations like combat or inventory management and straight-up talky roleplaying.
5 I don't mind if we have several sessions in a row of just or mostly combat or several sessions in a row of just talking and stuff, but I do want to do both over the course of a campaign. Sometimes too much of one can get tiresome, we should avoid that.
6 I don't care. Any mixture of the two is fine, even if one is excluded entirely.
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Re: RPG Questionnaire - REVEAL TO ME YOUR DESIRES

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:33 am

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT I AM A RESIDENT OF THE SAVAGE AUSTRALIAS AND WILL PROBABLY NOT BE ABLE TO MATCH YOUR CRAZY BACKWARDS TIME ZONES

(That said, my house is connected to actual proper fibre broadband, so I should at least be able to hook up without lag if you want)

A. I am not familiar with most of these systems, and would happily play almost any of them except for Vampire. That said, I will cast a particular vote for Star Wars; I've wanted to play a Star Wars tabletop game ever since I invented a really hilarious character that I want to kick to the Dark Side.

B. Skype is good!

C. However many is fine.

D. Record the thing!

E. Um, is there a thing for a mix of options 1 and 3?

F. Somewhere between 2 and 3.

G. Number 2 please.

H. Number 3!
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:56 pm

You should probably include a question regarding time zone, since as Lachlan points out it makes a considerable difference.

Personally, I'm US Central, UTC -5 I believe.

A) I'm not crazy about Vampires; if options for other characters like Mage were available that'd be cool, but I don't know how the system works. I'm also currently in a Stars Without Number game, which is a lot of fun but I'm not interested in joining a second campaign of the same game. (It's pretty great though, you should totally give it a shot if you want) I'd be fine with any other option on that list, particularly Shadowrun and Icelanders.

B) All of my online groups use Roll20 for rolls and some other application for chat. Skype is alright, but Teamspeak is better, and I've gotten good results from Discord, which is a free alternative to Skype and Teamspeak.

C) 6 is the absolute max, but I have no opinion on the minimum. Whatever you feel comfortable running with.

D) 1

E) I kinda like a mix of all 3? Player direction is good for the most part, but a GM shouldn't be afraid of throwing in a challenge or mission that they've actually had the time to detail, rather than just improvising everytime the party sneezes. That might not be the most helpful answer. Honestly, I just don't like being pidgeonholed into a single playstyle that players and GMs will presumably feel obligated to always follow.

F) 3

G) Players should be respectful towards each other, which means out of character talking out any relationships deviating from the norm. So long as a respectful and cordial OOC relationship is maintained, anything can go.

H) 4
dudecon

Postby dudecon » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:22 pm

Man, I know you've said it before Nalyd, but you are the king of ennui.
The main reservation I have is that I tend to get bored of RPGs, loose connection with the story, the world, and the characters, and wander off to do other things. So as long as you're fine with running my character as an NPC, or killing it off when I get distracted, I'd be interested in participating.

Code: Select all

A27:B1:C3:D1:E5:F2:G5:H4
Sudanna

Postby Sudanna » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:00 pm

Any question of time zones or scheduling would be something that comes up when actually planning a campaign - Right now, I'm just looking to see what I should be preparing for after my current one is done.

Oh, if it's not clear, you can pick multiple options for G.
krellen

Postby krellen » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:14 am

All questions answered with the understanding that I have been game-mastering for thirty years and sometimes can't help myself with advice and/or rules clarifications. It's easier to avoid in systems I don't know well.

A. Would you be interested in a Skype campaign run by me(Nalyd) using any of the following systems? If you would play in most or all of them, please choose only a few that you are most interested in.
My choices are 1, 5, and 7-with-an-asterisks. I'm in the same SWN campaign as Ewok and bow out of it for the same reasons. This list is not exclusive.

The asterisks on 7 is that I don't really like Shadowrun Fifth, but would be happy to play in (and help with rules) for Forth.
  • I mean, I guess Fifth is okay, but the book is even worse than forth's, which is pretty bad.
  • Well, Fifth is okay except it went back to priority-buy which I really don't like.
  • Maybe I shouldn't have listed 7.

B. Would you drastically prefer using a medium other than Skype?
1 - No, Skype is fine

C. How many players, including you but not the GM, would you most prefer having?
3 - 5

D. Do you mind, in any capacity, me recording, uploading, and posting sessions to this forum?
1 - Eh, I guess that's okay.

E. What style of campaign do you prefer? If you like most or all of these options, please choose only a few that you are most interested in.
4 - Some mix of option 1 and option 2
or
5 - Some mix of option 2 and option 3

F. How much input do you, as a player, want to have on the setting, backstory, NPC characters, etc. of the campaign?
4 - Same as above, but player input should be significantly limited after play begins. They should not, for example, be able to create a new NPC for the GM to play*, or describe a previously-nonexistent location they would like to visit.
  • Not on the fly, anyway, without discussing things with the GM. New locations would be a huge pain.

G. Which of the following PC-PC interaction norms are acceptable to you?
Answers vary a bit by system -

Vampire:
  • 2 - Players are teammates first and foremost, but a select few significant deviations are acceptable.
  • 3 - Player characters could be teammates, acquaintances, enemies, or even unknown to each other. Sometimes character's agendas line up and sometimes they conflict. Players trust other players to not be dicks but also accept losses.

DnD or Shadowrun:
  • 1 - Player characters are strictly teammates and must not disobey the consensus of the other players. The party acts as one.
  • 2 - Players are teammates first and foremost, but a select few significant deviations are acceptable.

Any game:
5 - PCs could engage in serious personal relationships, which players would act out. It would be okay to both initiate, influence, and refuse interpersonal storylines like this. See Option 3 re: dicks.

H. Be honest: Do you just wanna fight stuff with dice, you philistines?
6 - I don't care. Any mixture of the two is fine, even if one is excluded entirely.

Return to “Tabletop Games”