Fiasco

Talk about nerdgames FOR NERDS.
mwchase

Fiasco

Postby mwchase » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:42 pm

Last night, I finally got to try out Fiasco with a few friends. It was pretty great.

Unfortunately, due to New England getting all of Alaska's snow by mistake, one of the group couldn't make it, and he'll get his first game next week.

Anyone have any recommendations for a good playset to introduce someone to Fiasco with? We did Boomtown this week, and some of the others thought The Ice sounded up his alley.

I've got handy all of the paid first-party content I know of (core rulebook, companion rulebook, American Disasters, and Run Fools Run), and a lot of free stuff.

It seems to me that we want a playset with no mandatory custom rules, nothing too experimental, and I'd rather not start with a tie-in. With that in mind, I think I could offer up everything from the core rules and the companion except Mission to Mercury (I want to avoid supplemental material) as an initial choice, and look through the other playsets if nothing clicks for him.

Thoughts?
McNutcase

Re: Fiasco

Postby McNutcase » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:19 am

My first game was using Tales from Suburbia. It went very dark, very nasty. I'm not going to give all the gory details in public, but there is a LOT of potential in that playset with the right group.
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:24 am

I would describe our session as "In this Music Man AU, he has a hapless sister who tries to unmask him, but everything gets derailed when they run into the Murder Twins". Not sure it's any good as something to tell, but lots of great moments when we played. Also, as the summary might reveal, there was kind of a... a gonzo gradient between the two halves of the group. That particular aspect worked out better than it seemed like it would have.
McNutcase

Postby McNutcase » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:38 am

Heh. Let me put it this way, in the Tales from Suburbia session, one of the less messed-up things I did was gut-shoot another PC and leave him in the basement of a half-built house that I set on fire as I left. And the PC who was the absolute worst character at the table, no arguments whatsoever, was the only character who got a happy ending. I should write a movie script based on that session...

Return to “Tabletop Games”