2 Player tabletop/boardgames

Talk about nerdgames FOR NERDS.
grahams_xwing

Re: 2 Player tabletop/boardgames

Postby grahams_xwing » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:46 pm

Vulture wrote:Although this is too late to be of any practical use, I have to mention backgammon. Pretty easy to learn, largely skill based, but with a significant slice of luck too to keep things interesting. Unless one of you is much, much better than the other, you'll both have a decent chance to win each game. It takes about 5-15 minutes to play a game, or you can try match play for multiple rounds which lasts longer.

Mankala is a simple game that can be played almost anywhere, since you just need piles of counters, and can grab pretty much anything small to use as game pieces (stones, lego bricks, olives (if in a restaurant).

Tantrix (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tantrix) is a pretty awesome game to play too. 2-4 players, but the 2 player version is perfectly playable. It can be played without much thought, but can also be pretty mind-bendingly strategic to play it well.

Not too late. Usual Estate Agent BS was well and truly swallowed by the pair of us and the property that was supposed to sell itself... didn't.
But fear not, the suggestions will not be in vain... the house sold last week (new agent - sold it in 4 days) and we are well on our way to getting the move sorted. Once we are there I'll come back and peruse these suggestions again!

Thanks again all.
G
All suggestions will be investigated once we are all moved in!
grahams_xwing

Postby grahams_xwing » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:35 am

Hey all,

FYI.

We went for Rivals of Catan, Dominion and Tantrix. Looking forward to them arriving!
StashAugustine

Postby StashAugustine » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:35 am

I actually just got done playing Dominion with my brother! Dominion is a seriously excellent game, once you get a little tired of it just get more expansions because they're all great (well maybe not Alchemy).
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:48 am

If you and your missus want to try something a little different and like puzzles, you might want to look at Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective.

The idea is that you compete against Holmes himself in a set of 10 mysteries written in the Holmesian fashion. You've got a map of London, a phone book with names and addresses for literally everybody in the city and a half, and you've got the newspaper for that case and whatever previous cases you've already done. On your turn, you pick a location, and the mystery book will have a scenario that plays out at that location. The idea is that you can go wherever you want, being informed by the opening scenario, newspaper, and whatever locations you've been previous. So its a truly open ended puzzle.

The mysteries wrap up with a set of 10 main questions and 4 bonus questions. Each question is worth 10 points. Holmes has a default value of 100, and you have a penalty for every extra step you took beyond what he did. So if Holmes solved the case by procuring the needed information from 3 locations, then you take penalties for going to 4 or more. Wrap-up text is an explanation from Holmes to reveal his reasoning.

I haven't played it myself. I really want to, but alas, money and time are finite. The Shut Up and Sit Down guys call it a great dating game though, because its one of the few board games that you can play full-out co-op with. Might be worth looking into for you.

Its pricey though, cuz its kind of rare.
krellen

Postby krellen » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:56 am

Dungeon Lords is especially fun because of the delightful flavour text sprinkled throughout the manual.
StashAugustine

Postby StashAugustine » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:24 pm

Same with all Vlaada games. Dungeon Petz has the best, where it notes that unsold pets are removed from play and sold off to a nice wizard on a farm; and that for totally unrelated reasons another meat is added to the supply.
Adeon_Hawkwood

Postby Adeon_Hawkwood » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:10 pm

Galaxy Trucker is another one from Vlaada with a very humorous manual. The one I like is when it's talking about how hazardous good have to be stored in specially shielded cargo bays it relates the story of a pilot who transported toxic waste in old fruit crates and ended up losing an arm and a leg to a mob of angry environmentalists. It's actually a really good way of doing things since the jokes make the manual more interesting but are also a good way to remember odd rules (the meat rule in Petz being a good example)

That being said I wouldn't recommend Dungeon Lords for 2-players. It has options for 2 and 3 players but it's really balanced around the 4-player game.
StashAugustine

Postby StashAugustine » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:58 am

I played Empire of the Sun over the weekend with my brother, does that count as a recommendation? Playtime is a speedy 6+ hours or so :v

Return to “Tabletop Games”