Half-Breeds

Talk about nerdgames FOR NERDS.
Ardis Meade

Re: Half-Breeds

Postby Ardis Meade » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:07 am

My background with Ebberon suggests that you make the Gnomes enforcers/secret police. A mastery of illusions can make them scarily good at that.
Xaossa

Postby Xaossa » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:04 pm

Ardis Meade wrote:My background with Ebberon suggests that you make the Gnomes enforcers/secret police. A mastery of illusions can make them scarily good at that.

Gnome cops, eh?

"I finally have the soundtrack to my nightmares...."*

But yeah, this actually kind of fits my experience with gnomes and worldbuilding. People can't find a traditional niche to fit gnomes comfortably in their setting, so they go in at it sideways and get creative to make gnomes relevant. In another setting I read, they were native race of the scary, FF6 Vector-like, Evil Magitech Empire.

*-Tall boys, tall boys! Whatcha gon, whatcha gon, whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do, Whatcha gonna do, Whatcha gonna do when they come for you? Tall boys, tall boys!~
Boatmurdered

Postby Boatmurdered » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:45 pm

This is actually a subject near and dear to me because one of my favorite long running characters is a half-orc paladin.

In the forgotten realms setting, Orcs are actually totally alien to the setting, having been brought in as ringers by humans to end a war between warring magical states. Of course their gods came with them and immediately the war went from human vs. human to human vs. orc.

Being aliens, it's entirely possible that they evolved from humans, or humans evolved from them, because no mention is ever made of their world or where they came from, simply that they were pulled from elsewhere.

They are also a fecund race, intentionally so manipulated by their gods, specifically "The Cave Mother" and Gruumsh.

And then we have my favorite splat book: http://grandwiki.wikidot.com/qhorc

Specific to note are the "variations" of half-orcs, including dwarf-orcs and elf-orcs, both of whom have their own variation on the basic idea. Elf-orcs in particular are basically cursed. Their name in Elven is even "abomination".

A lot of people seem to take issue with the concepts though, maybe because it requires a "Good" race to act in a manner that doesn't match with the headcanon "Good", with elf women exposing/killing the babies if they can't terminate the pregnancy.
Xaossa

Postby Xaossa » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:10 am

Boatmurdered wrote:Being aliens, it's entirely possible that they evolved from humans, or humans evolved from them, because no mention is ever made of their world or where they came from, simply that they were pulled from elsewhere.

I've actually played around with ideas about humans evolving from the fantasy races:

Humans are the ultimate mongrel race. They are the end result of a number of races breeding with others. Tieflings, Half-Orcs, Half-Elves, Dragonborn and others are descendants of Cambions, Orcs, Elves, and Half-Dragons (who, in turn are descended from Fiends, Dragons, ArchFey and {SETTINGFLUFF}) who bred with other lesser mortals, and humans are just a product of even more recursive hybrid-breeding between half-breeds. This still means that the half-breeds are all technically half-human, but the reason why "its always f***ing humans!?" is because, duh, of course they would be. Humans are quarter-breeds...or something. Its also why humans are the "jack of all trades" race, and why they seem to both be immensely diverse from each other and cosmopolitan at the same time, because human nations start out as just tribes of "outcasts" (each with their own strengths, weaknesses, and "natural environment") who didn't belong in either parent culture and created an identity for themselves. The defining difference to whether you belong to this or that human culture, nation, or religion is less about what you are and more about who you are and what you do.

This also means that there are things like Half-Orc kingdoms, they just mostly bred amongst themselves and there's a lot more Orcish blood and customs predominating than if they were more inclusive.

Return to “Tabletop Games”