Dealing With Problematic Players

Talk about nerdgames FOR NERDS.
Kelerak

Dealing With Problematic Players

Postby Kelerak » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:29 pm

So, after about 2-3 years since I last played a table-top game, I was invited to play Pathfinder with a group of people. I was kinda iffy on the idea at first, since I tend to more often than not take a backseat to everyone else's play due to personal anxiety issues, but I decided to give it a shot anyway. There ended up being four people in our merry band: an aasimar skald, a fetchling rogue (me), a dwarf cleric, and an elf brawler. Not sure if this party setup is such a great idea, but that's not really the point of this post.

Throughout the session, the elf tried to make the game all about him and making some dumb decisions along the way, such as threatening a guard captain and getting jailed for it, constantly making insults to the dwarf, belittling all of the other members, etc. He was trying to be the center of attention, so far as to interrupt other players when he wanted to take an action, and when we eventually got him to pipe down, he wasn't really invested with the game, so far as to just play Pokemon when it wasn't his turn. I have very little patience when it comes to people not co-operating with the team, and I'm sure even the DM was fed up with his actions, but nobody wanted to kick him out because we didn't want to create tension within the group. I didn't speak up, because as I said, I tend to be a background player and only really act when I'm told I can.

Do you guys have similar stories like this? Any tips on handling this situation?
Steve C

Re: Dealing With Problematic Players

Postby Steve C » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:53 am

Yeah. Talk to the DM and explain it just as you have here. The DM has to take that player aside outside of the game and have a 1:1 chat with them. Preferably not even on a gaming night. It is the only way to really solve it. A bandaid fix is to use magic to alter that's character's personality in some way. For example a charm person spell so that they are your friend. It can work, and I've had it work. Generally that is not going to work and is a bad idea.

If the DM is unwilling to take a firm hand (which can include removing the problem player) then it is best to bow out of the game entirely. It's not worth it if you aren't having fun.
Kelerak

Postby Kelerak » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:46 am

DM said he'll talk to the player, so I'm hoping this issue will clear up. Thanks for the advice. Hoping this is a step for developing a liking of tabletop roleplaying.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:34 am

It's really the DM's responsibility, as Steve says.

About this...
Kelerak wrote:I was kinda iffy on the idea at first, since I tend to more often than not take a backseat to everyone else's play due to personal anxiety issues,

Try talking to your GM about it. Let them know that you have some fear about speaking up, and try to work out an arrangement where they'll call on you to ask about what your character is doing every once in a while, or ask what your character thinks when a plan is being discussed or an encounter is imminent. If you don't let the DM know you've got a problem, they're likely to assume that you're either fine with being a tag-along or that you're not engaged with the game. After a few sessions, hopefully you'll be comfortable enough to speak up on your own.

Communication is the key to roleplaying.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:58 am

Supahewok wrote:Communication is the key to roleplaying.

As is "cooperation".

(Note that I intentionally put it in quotes, because backstabbing can sometimes be fun!)

In particular, I think the goal of group members should be more "How can I make this more fun and interesting for everyone?", and not just "What can I do to win?" or similar. That relies a bunch on people having some excitement for other character's moments and actions, not just their own.
Kelerak

Postby Kelerak » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:13 am

Update: It got to the point where that player was ejected from the group, as he was acting up and belittling everyone again. I'm not distraught by it, he didn't really contribute to the game as a whole and mostly served to waste everyone's time with his actions and left little room for everyone else. On the plus side, though, got a couple of new players in on the game, both of whom are contributing to the group so that everyone is having a great time. So, yeah. Cut off one head, two grow back, I suppose.
Kelerak

Postby Kelerak » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:13 am

Update: It got to the point where that player was ejected from the group, as he was acting up and belittling everyone again. I'm not distraught by it, he didn't really contribute to the game as a whole and mostly served to waste everyone's time with his actions and left little room for everyone else. On the plus side, though, got a couple of new players in on the game, both of whom are contributing to the group so that everyone is having a great time. So, yeah. Cut off one head, two grow back, I suppose.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:18 am

Glad to hear it, mate. Have fun ruining some monster's day.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:41 am

Apparently two posts grow back too. :P

Glad to hear it worked out in the end. It was probably for the best, since some people just don't make very good team players.

Return to “Tabletop Games”