Welcome thread?

Talk about the site itself. It's so meta!
Ygor

Re: Welcome thread?

Postby Ygor » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:54 am

Hi there Hamilcar!
Hope you'll have a blast here!

What movie/series is your avatar from, btw?
Nixitur

Postby Nixitur » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:58 pm

Hey there, people of the internet!
I'm Nixitur. This nickname's fairly rare, so if you see a Nixitur somewhere on the internet, it's probably me.
I'm a computer science student. I like to play the vidya gaems and watch tons of Let's Plays. I'm also a big fan of all kinds of board and card games. I'm a choir singer which is unrelated.
I love tabletop RPGs, but have never been able to try one, so the slow and painful death of the Play-By-Post forum makes me slightly sad. An IRC channel or Skype chat might be a better way to run an RPG because you can count on more-or-less immediate answers, but it necessitates scheduling sessions. Anyway, I'm rambling.
I did stuff on Youtube ages ago, but haven't gone back to it because I was pretty bad. Maybe I'll revive my channel someday. I 'unno.
I found Spoiler Warning on TVTropes and found Shamus' blog shortly after.
Favorite game is probably Dwarf Fortress or Cave Story.
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:09 am

Choral singing high-five!
grahams_xwing

Postby grahams_xwing » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:42 pm

Nixitur wrote: I'm a choir singer which is unrelated.

What section and what kind of pieces. I was a definite Tenor/Bass back in my early years.
krellen

Postby krellen » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:34 pm

grahams_xwing wrote:Tenor/Bass

How do you Tenor/Bass and pass right over Baritone?

Why does everyone ignore Baritone? My voice has a sad.
Nixitur

Postby Nixitur » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:03 pm

grahams_xwing wrote:What section and what kind of pieces. I was a definite Tenor/Bass back in my early years.

I'm second bass. And I sing whatever our university choir leader presents to us.
I think my favorite thing that I've sung so far was Carmina Burana.
Lachlan the Sane

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:02 pm

Damn we have a lot of basses and baritones here (I'm a bass-baritone, which means that I'm a baritone who refuses to admit to it). We could start a dubstep quartet.
grahams_xwing

Postby grahams_xwing » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:38 am

krellen wrote:
grahams_xwing wrote:Tenor/Bass

How do you Tenor/Bass and pass right over Baritone?

Why does everyone ignore Baritone? My voice has a sad.

Was merely a small chamber choir so we had fewer part distinctions. One of the Bass parts (usually me as I had a good ear for harmonies) took the Baritone requirements up where needed.
AVelhavenn

Postby AVelhavenn » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:23 am

Greetings, fellow humans!

The name's AVelhavenn, though most of the time I go by Arven because it is easier to pronounce/type. I like playing video games and watching people play them (sometime shouting at them, but only if necessary). Started playing video games earlier this year, so I have the wonderful joy of experiencing various genres of them for the first time (though with the confusement of ambiguous and overlapping genres). So far my favourites are 2D shooter (like Ultratron), top-down shooter (like Ring Runner) and Monaco (I would say heist, but for some stupid reason people associate that term with payday, so fuck that). I also likes CK2, so I guess I like games that gives you different experience as you get better at them. I'm also on the cult against realism, especially photo-realistic graphic that puts heavy burden on my poor graphic card (I stopped wearing glasses irl a few years back because I can't stand the sight, must've something to do with that). I also really likes parentheses (I'll even nest them (like this)).

That's all, hoping to have a good time here!
axcalibar

Postby axcalibar » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:21 pm

Greetings humans, mortals, and eukaryotic beings.
I'm Axcalibar... a bard with an 8 Charisma. I've been around 20-Sided since early DMoTR strips, not saying much.
I am a D&D/Pathfinder GM (rarely PC). http:/heroshi.pbworks.com
I had a go as a Minecraft mapmaker, adapting D&D scenarios into MC adventure maps.
My favorite games include Fallout, Elder Scrolls, and Batman Arkham. Also, modded Minecraft.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/axcalibar
My profession is graphic design.
AFancyQuestionMark

Postby AFancyQuestionMark » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:01 am

Hello. I have been a silent reader of Shamus' blog for at least two years now, it was and remains one of my favorite sources of videogame news and discussion.
Obviously, I like playing and discussing videogames, although my taste is somewhat niche. This place seems to be a remarkably civil (by internet standards) and pleasant community of people that also like these things. Therefore, I hope to be able to fit in here.
Lachlan the Sane

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:27 am

The fanciness of your question mark is commendable. You shall do well!
dudecon

Postby dudecon » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:20 pm

AVelhavenn wrote:The name's AVelhavenn, though most of the time I go by Arven because it is easier to pronounce/type... I'm also on the cult against realism, especially photo-realistic graphic... I also really likes parentheses (I'll even nest them (like this)).
Welcome! Down with photo realistic graphics! Long live stylization! (I tried to work in a paranthetical (to support our mutual interest in parentheses), but didn't have much to say, so I thought better of it (until after I was done writing this (Paradox? (no)).)
axcalibar wrote:... Also, modded Minecraft...
My profession is graphic design.
Ooh, were you aware that I wrote the code for the trees in Minecraft? No? Um, well, I'm glad you like it. I like it too!
It also seems that the cobbler's children go unshod WRT your avatar.
AFancyQuestionMark wrote:...
Might I interest you in a fancy interrobang‽ I know someone who does graphic design...
Ledel

Postby Ledel » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:17 am

Hi people of twenty-sided. I'm Ledel, nerd, player of both video and board games, and teller of groan-worthy jokes.

A friend introduced me to Spoiler Warning about 2 years ago, and found the blog through there.
Lachlan the Sane

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:13 am

Welcome, Ledel! Your palindrome is appreciated!
dudecon

Postby dudecon » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:58 pm

Ledel wrote:Hi people of twenty-sided. I'm Ledel, nerd, player of both video and board games, and teller of groan-worthy jokes.
Greetings Ledel! Don't be afraid to dredge through the archives and necro some old threads that interest you. A lot of discussions have petered out half-way through the years, and it would be fun to see which ones still have some fight left in them.
Kelerak

Postby Kelerak » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:49 am

A bit late, considering I've already put up a couple threads, but why not, I'll introduce myself here.

I'm Kelerak. I've been a gamer since probably too early in the years I've been alive. I want to get into writing things about games, but have never quite stuck to it. More importantly, I'm hoping to find an online community which I can be a part of.

I got into Spoiler Warning by a friend around the time the Skyrim playthrough started, and have been following the group since. While I don't 100% follow the Spoiler Warning videos or even the blog posts, I do keep an ear towards the Diecast, since I can just turn that on while playing the games I play.

Here's to hoping to being a contributing member!
dudecon

Postby dudecon » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:17 am

Kelerak wrote:... More importantly, I'm hoping to find an online community which I can be a part of.
You certainly CAN be a part of this community. The bans on serious topics make the discussions a bit anemic, and we've only got, what, 10 or so active members? Still though, if you'd like to hang around we'd be glad to have you!
Kelerak wrote:... While I don't 100% follow the Spoiler Warning videos or even the blog posts, I do keep an ear towards the Diecast, since I can just turn that on while playing the games I play.
Yeah, I interact with the audio a lot, as I can listen while I'm at work. I experimented using a screen reader to narrate the text posts but I read fast enough that it's not really worth it for me. I'm glad that there's a good spread of content in every medium though.
Kelerak wrote:Here's to hoping to being a contributing member!
Indeed!
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:02 am

Kelerak wrote:While I don't 100% follow the Spoiler Warning videos or even the blog posts, I do keep an ear towards the Diecast, since I can just turn that on while playing the games I play.

You can do it with spoiler warning as well,if its a game youve played.I dont know if Ive watched half of the latest one,but Ive listened to it all.
Kelerak

Postby Kelerak » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:38 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:
Kelerak wrote:While I don't 100% follow the Spoiler Warning videos or even the blog posts, I do keep an ear towards the Diecast, since I can just turn that on while playing the games I play.

You can do it with spoiler warning as well,if its a game youve played.I dont know if Ive watched half of the latest one,but Ive listened to it all.

That works, but sometimes the group will talk about or Josh'll be going through something I haven't seen in the game (happened with the New Vegas season since I never bought Dead Money or Honest Hearts), so I'll be missing out.

It's rare for me to ever finish a video series of anything. Hell, the only Spoiler Warning season I did finish was Hitman: Absolution.

(please don't hate me for being a bad Twenty-Sider)
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:16 am

Kelerak wrote:New Vegas season

Dead Money

It's for the best.
Kelerak

Postby Kelerak » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:11 am

I somehow managed to be conscious enough to watch through Dead Money. I barely understood the plot of it, but eh. Accomplishment for me.
McNutcase

Postby McNutcase » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:57 am

I'm starting to feel like I'm the only person who's watched all of Spoiler Warning. Most of it within a week of it being made public.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:13 am

I'd watched it all until relatively recently, when I stopped following the TLOU season about halfway through. Then Batman, which I only watched the first week of. Largely that'd be down to the respective storytelling genres: I hate zombie stories, and I think superheroes are all exceedingly lame. I did get through to the end of Walking Dead, but can't say it was memorable in any real way, other than that one moment where Josh was puppeteering Lily.
Lachlan the Sane

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:43 am

I have watched most seasons. The ones I haven't are Walking Dead (I want to play it some time, don't want it spoiled) and the Metro and Alan Wake seasons (I keep starting them and losing interest halfway through -- couldn't tell you why).

Return to “Welcome, Announcements, and Questions”