Welcome thread?

Talk about the site itself. It's so meta!
4th Dimension

Re: Welcome thread?

Postby 4th Dimension » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:52 am

I watched all of them. But to tell you the truth these last ones really seem to become quite a drag in the middle when there is nothing to comment or they are no longer paying attention and they revert to same old jokes. Not paying attention and quite often smothering interesting sections with OT jokes are prime crimes in my book. Yes in particular I'm looking at RutsKHAN who managed to pun his way all through one of more interesting sections of METRO.
Vulture

Postby Vulture » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:48 am

I'm sure I've missed one or two episodes of KOTOR, but I'm not sure it's possible to tell, because all the episodes seemed the same after a while. And I skipped the Metro 2033 season, although I couldn't say why. It just utterly failed to interest me. But other than that I've watched all the Spoiler Warnings.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:25 pm

4th Dimension wrote:Yes in particular I'm looking at RutsKHAN who managed to pun his way all through one of more interesting sections of METRO.

Wait,there were interesting sections in metro?
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:42 pm

Hard to say since it was the one season they attempted an audio-only let's play. I guess uploading it to YouTube forced them to just display a blank screen for the duration.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:35 pm

My problem is that while I technically started watching from the start (with ME1), the half-hour+ length turned me off at the time... I just couldn't get myself to sink the time into it then.

Eventually I came back to watch (I think it was Tomb Raider? Might have been Metro) and stuck around since then. Unfortunately that means I have a huge backlog of episodes that I missed that I WANT to go back to, but always end up stalling/forgetting whenever I try one of the older seasons. I don't know why, considering I tend to enjoy most of it.
Kelerak

Postby Kelerak » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:45 am

Watch as Shamus reads all of this and bans us for insubordination.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:48 am

Then we'd all have no recourse save to become *gasp* YouTube commenters on his channel.
Kelerak

Postby Kelerak » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:50 am

Best prepare your pointless arguments and unfunny memes, then.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:01 am

Trix2000 wrote:Eventually I came back to watch (I think it was Tomb Raider? Might have been Metro) and stuck around since then. Unfortunately that means I have a huge backlog of episodes that I missed that I WANT to go back to, but always end up stalling/forgetting whenever I try one of the older seasons. I don't know why, considering I tend to enjoy most of it.

Just watch the Fallout ones and maybe the DE:HR season. The rest are really only of interest if you want to hear about the specific game in question. Whereas the ones I mentioned have a lot of spontaneous humor which make them great to watch beyond the analysis.

I... I think this is actually my first post in the Welcome Thread? Hi guys! I hope to be a productive member of the community and not at all an unfunny and asinine argumentarian with a penchant for tired self-referential humor! That is also unfunny. And references itself. Why does it smell like dead horse around here?
Kelerak

Postby Kelerak » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:04 am

Secretly, we are all of the members of Spoiler Warning.

All at the same time.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:13 am

Supahewok wrote:
Trix2000 wrote:Eventually I came back to watch (I think it was Tomb Raider? Might have been Metro) and stuck around since then. Unfortunately that means I have a huge backlog of episodes that I missed that I WANT to go back to, but always end up stalling/forgetting whenever I try one of the older seasons. I don't know why, considering I tend to enjoy most of it.

Just watch the Fallout ones and maybe the DE:HR season. The rest are really only of interest if you want to hear about the specific game in question. Whereas the ones I mentioned have a lot of spontaneous humor which make them great to watch beyond the analysis.

I... I think this is actually my first post in the Welcome Thread? Hi guys! I hope to be a productive member of the community and not at all an unfunny and asinine argumentarian with a penchant for tired self-referential humor! That is also unfunny. And references itself. Why does it smell like dead horse around here?

I liked the AC2 season if only because it's a useful dissection on what it takes to win a coveted Goldun Riter awward.
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:52 am

Kelerak wrote:Secretly, we are all of the members of Spoiler Warning.

All at the same time.

Humanoid wrote:I liked the AC2 season if only because it's a useful dissection on what it takes to win a coveted Goldun Riter awward.

Related to both of these posts; after watching my girlfriend get immensely frustrated at how I played Assassin's Creed (I think I was playing Brotherhood or Revelations at the time), I showed her some samples from the Spoiler Warning AC2 season to demonstrate that I am not the only person in the world who treats those games as a "the floor is lava" simulator.
Kelerak

Postby Kelerak » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:56 am

Lachlan the Mad wrote:...after watching my girlfriend get immensely frustrated at how I played Assassin's Creed (I think I was playing Brotherhood or Revelations at the time), I showed her some samples from the Spoiler Warning AC2 season to demonstrate that I am not the only person in the world who treats those games as a "the floor is lava" simulator.

I wonder why Ubisoft even bothers putting all that money towards NPC animations and AI pathing if everyone just stays on the roofs the whole game.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:06 am

So player has something to watch while he is hidden in human bushes while he is on one of those mandatory FOLLOW THE GUY missions that practically force you to follow him on foot. LOOK AT OUR ANIMATIONS AND MODELS. LOOK AT THEM. BE AMAZED AND IMMERSED. ARE YOU NIT IMMERSED ENOUGH?
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:16 am

4th Dimension wrote:So player has something to watch while he is hidden in human bushes while he is on one of those mandatory FOLLOW THE GUY missions that practically force you to follow him on foot. LOOK AT OUR ANIMATIONS AND MODELS. LOOK AT THEM. BE AMAZED AND IMMERSED. ARE YOU NIT IMMERSED ENOUGH?

If you're doing the FOLLOW THE GUY missions on foot, you're doing it wrong. They're so much easier from the rooftops :)
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:10 pm

Not always. They noticed that players tend to do just that, so now they add "gates" that force the player to either be VERRY creative or get down to street level. These gates most of the time work by getting the target to get into some sort of tunnel and stay there for about 10s so you fail if you stick to the rooftops.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:56 pm

Supahewok wrote:Just watch the Fallout ones and maybe the DE:HR season. The rest are really only of interest if you want to hear about the specific game in question. Whereas the ones I mentioned have a lot of spontaneous humor which make them great to watch beyond the analysis.

The problem is if I go back to any season, I'll want to go back to ALL of them anyways, regardless of quality. For curiousity's sake at least.

And that all depends on me actually getting through a full old season to start with, which often requires a lot of time that I never get around to burning. But someday, SOMEDAY!!!
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:56 pm

Giving this thread a little bump, as I've noticed about a half dozen new registrations in the past couple of weeks along with a handful of first timer posts. Welcome! Don't be shy, Daemian doesn't bite much. And don't be afraid to necro old threads, we got a loose policy on that.
Kelerak

Postby Kelerak » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:13 pm

Considering that we somehow successfully resurrected the Game Pet Peeves thread, I'm pretty sure that's a given.

But, anyways, don't be a stranger around these parts. That'll make you strange. Obviously.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:57 pm

You mean the Fire Emblem thread where people keep making random, off topic asides to annoying bits of other, unrelated games?
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:58 pm

If you're hanging around here in the first place, you've probably got a terminal case of "strange" already.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:18 pm

Retsam wrote:If you're hanging around here in the first place, you've probably got a terminal case of "strange" already.
Strange?!? I hope you meant to say "delightfully unique".
TheWillroar

Postby TheWillroar » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:01 pm

So I have been introduced on these forums in the past but since I only wrote a couple posts, then immediately dropped off the face of the earth for a new Media Manager gig, I feel like I should have a do-over. Now that I'm in a reliable rhythm with the gig, I might be able to actually invest and be present.

I'm Will and I have been reading Twenty Sided for 6 years now, since the Fallout 3 Spoiler Warning series. Through high school, college, and now out as a film industry professional, Shamus Young has been a hero and guide through gaming and the greater tech world. I'm not sure I would be a Media Manager building computers and servers if not for Shamus' tech musings catching my interest, nor would I be learning to program on the side if not for his commentary posts on John Carmack's QuakeCon keynotes inspiring me.

And now, as I sit down in our AA meeting of love, I'll be off to hunt down some interesting topics when my production manager isn't around. Another hole punched in my Twenty-Sided-Super-Fan card.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:26 pm

TheWillroar wrote: and now out as a film industry professional,

Finally,someone we can personally blame for when hollywood screws up.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:46 pm

Finally,someone we can personally blame for when hollywood screws up.

Shamus?

At least that's how I read the cause and effect here.

Return to “Welcome, Announcements, and Questions”