Welcome thread?

Talk about the site itself. It's so meta!
Ogaaboga

Re: Welcome thread?

Postby Ogaaboga » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:21 pm

Howdy there my name is Ogaaboga
I was told of this place by the one they call NewDarkCloud and I came here on my own accord
I am a youtube video maker and I upload daily, feel free to check it out if you would like
http://youtube.com/ogaaboga
I also am an avid gamer and will glady take up offers to play with you,
I hear this is a great community so I am glad to be a part of it!
Joshua

Postby Joshua » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:04 pm

Hi, I'm Joshua. I'm a computer programmer, gamer, blogger, writer of tabletop RPGs, and apparently by this forum's standards older than dirt (which is approximately as old as Multics). Lately I do a bunch of G+ Hangout RPGs, which are almost as good as face-to-face and a heck of a lot easier to schedule.
Ogaaboga

Postby Ogaaboga » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:43 am

Joshua wrote:Hi, I'm Joshua. I'm a computer programmer, gamer, blogger, writer of tabletop RPGs, and apparently by this forum's standards older than dirt (which is approximately as old as Multics). Lately I do a bunch of G+ Hangout RPGs, which are almost as good as face-to-face and a heck of a lot easier to schedule.

those g+ hangout rpgs sound interesting when do you usually do them?
Noble Bear

Postby Noble Bear » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:21 pm

I'm Noble Bear.

Background: Cartoonist, Illustrator, Gamer. I like bitching about how we need better stories in games and movies although I've never written anything. I suck at computers and can barely figure out how to use the things I have. I like Bears, Mountain Dew and All-Meat Pizzas. I recently graduated from art school with a degree in a major I will never pursue (3D, VFX) in favor of a vocation that they will likely never offer (Card Games, RPGs). Depending on your definition, I may or may not be a furry.

Age: as of this June, I am officially "not old", in the Monty Python reckoning.

How I Found Shamus: A friend into'd me to DMotR shortly before the "Horsefucker" strip. Through him discovered the Fear the Boot community where I have made numerous, lifelong friends. I have the dubious honor of doing the first ever piece of fan art for Chainmail Bikini. I love to participate in his thread discussions tho scarcely have as I rarely have anything relevant, interesting, timely, or even awkwardly plausible to say.

Hodor: Hodor.
swenson

Postby swenson » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:45 pm

Hodor. Hodor hodor hodor? Hodor!
Noble Bear

Postby Noble Bear » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:26 am

swenson wrote:Hodor. Hodor hodor hodor? Hodor!

HooooooooDOR! *nods*
Mark K

Postby Mark K » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:48 pm

When in Rome....

I am Mark. I am a software engineer. Hire me! I can do anything if documentation is available, and I am also available for tutoring.

I like art of all kinds, and strive to be able to converse critically about everything, in the hopes that others will respond in kind. Vidcons are my particular jam, because in the absence of an established critical language, even a lay motherfucker like me can still find original things to say about them. Also because they're great.

I don't know how long I've been reading the blog - must be at least five years now - but . This place looks promising to me because Shamus' writing has not historically played well among the demographic of sad, broken people who say the dumbest possible thing at every opportunity, and I assume that will carry through to this place. I could be wrong though.

I pledge that I will post at least one effortful post somewhere on these boards every day, unless I don't feel like it.
Alexander The 1st

?daerht emocleW :eR

Postby Alexander The 1st » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:52 am

Heya all.

Currently I'm on the brink of potentially graduating (Based on whether I get more than 5/20 on my final exam results that should come in sometime in the coming weeks - the short of the story is I only need a C+ in this course to finish my requirements, and that's what I'd need to hit that mark.) as an Informatics graduate, which is a fancy way of saying software engineer but with less focus on software engineering or computer science. More specifically, we work with other departments, so I've had experience working with new media artists (Mostly 3-D modellers and animators, from environments to characters) and designers (Mostly balancing mechanics, levels, UI design).

Which of course means I'll need a job soon, but currently looking looking up specific factors that might have an effect on which jobs and where - ideally I'd like to get into programming for games, but any particular programming job is probably an ideal option.

As for how did I get to the Twenty Sided site? I'm pretty sure the first time I got here it was through TVTropes to one of the DMOTR comics.

So yeah - it's been a while since I've been on forums, but if we're choosing font colours, I call dibs on Cadet Blue!
Varewulf

Postby Varewulf » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:20 pm

Oh hey, this is a thing.

I am Varewulf, also known as John, or Rita. It's a story I don't want to get into right now, just know that the choice is yours.

I run a blog that I talked about over here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=568

Erm... stuff I like: Kittens, other cute stuff, books (when I have the time), Fire Emblem, writing, the occasional anime, strange humour... stuff. Lots of stuff. I'm a human being, I am complex, damn it!

~Wulf
Volatar

Postby Volatar » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:18 am

Oh, I should have looked for one of these.

I'm Volatar. Pretty much just known as Volatar.

I am just another gamer on the internet. I play a great variety of games but seek out anything that takes place in space or even vaguely scifi. I love following tabletop discussion but rarely participate myself. I am huge on music and spend hours each day exploring new music. My 15 minutes of fame consists of creating and maintaining this mildly popular playlist on Youtube. Related: I love Touhou. I also adore good novels, particularly military scifi but I like to explore.

Professionally I am a computer science student.

I chatter a lot on Twitter. @Volatar.

And I am "[ChHa] Volatar" on Steam.

I found Twentysided through the internet (duh) at some point through a link back when the blog was pretty much just tabletop discussion. It earned a bookmark and when I returned later and found many topics, all to my liking, it became a regular place for me to visit.

The rest is history.
ccesarano

Postby ccesarano » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:21 pm

Playing necromancer to an old thread:

I am ccesarano, but you can call me Chris because it's easier. I was introduced to Shamus Young via DM of the Rings, though I don't recall if the comic was complete by then or not. I do recall following along with the rest of the blog, greatly enjoying many of Shamus' writings about video games, anime, and his own personal experiences. While I do not have as much time to dedicate to various blogs as I used to, I always try to check back in with Twenty Sided as I find Shamus an inspiration. He notices things that I don't always pick up on, and somehow despite being quite critical, he has a pleasant and optimistic way of writing. Even when it comes to DRM and silly business practices! It's a breath of fresh air.

I've commented on Shamus' blog in the past, on and off, but as of late I tend to be more of a lurker. By time I get to read his blog, there's already 100+ comments on a post, and at that point I tend to feel filthy for not reading all the comments and feel it a bit pointless to add my own (though I made an exception for some of his recent Arkham Origins posts).

Professionally, I'm a copy+paster, because I found out too late I don't really like programming or web development so getting a real job above constant copy/paste is pretty tough or impossible (I mean, you can only do so well on an interview when you know for a fact there are more suitable people for the position than you).

So I dedicate a chunk of my free time to writing about games on my blog, on GamersWithJobs.com, putting together my own video series, and running a podcast. I used to make online comics, and would love to get back to it, but I just dabble in too many projects as it is.

While video games are my bread and butter, I do also like the eggs, hash browns and scrapple of other geek interests such as board games, film, books, and very rarely these days, tabletop gaming.
evileeyore

Postby evileeyore » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:11 am

I've been reading since DM of the Rings and just got around to noticing the forums link...

Yeah, I'm slow sometimes.

Anyway. I've poked about the forums and I have a question:

What happened in December of last year to shut down all the Play by Post threads?
krellen

Postby krellen » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:43 am

evileeyore wrote:What happened in December of last year to shut down all the Play by Post threads?

We all kind of lost interest and I lacked the spirit to try to keep pushing them.
CraigM

Postby CraigM » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:03 am

Yeah, I'd love to revive them, but I'm not sure the interest is there currently. There was just a general trend of games never really getting rolling towards the end, so the section just kind of died off. It's a shame, but c'est la vie.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:04 pm

Yeah it's mostly due to the fact that you have to wait on other players and players kept dropping out. Also several games ground to a halt because players either weren't having fun anymore or felt like they reached a dead end.
evileeyore

Postby evileeyore » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:27 pm

Copy that.

I was kinda hoping for more mysterious answers, but I can settle for the straight dope.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:22 pm

evileeyore wrote:Copy that.

I was kinda hoping for more mysterious answers, but I can settle for the straight dope.

Well,you see,4th Dimension is actually a member of the secret organization NOFAG (NO Fun Allowed Guys),and his answer to you is a lie constructed to cover up their careful infiltration to this place,where they started a long campaign of spell casting,tax frauds and cloak and dagger assassination missions in order to eliminate everyone who was playing a game,either forcefully or with bribery.Therefore,no one dares to play another game fearing NOFAGs wrath.

Mysterious enough for you?
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:19 pm

MASTER THEY KNOW!
Dispaching robo-pidgeons!
Damn, who left the speach to text on. Better turn it off before I accidentally . . . press submit
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:29 pm

I see that someone has bought the xbone.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:12 pm

I told the bos we should have gone with a Linux solution for OS to power our plans, but the guys from Microsoft had this pretty snazzy presentation and they promised bos everything including things they couldn't diliver on. And since you are still alive, I guess the robo-pidgeons are stuck on some branch in an infinite Windows Update cycle. DAMN YOU free wireless!
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:18 am

It's actually followed the same path as the Twenty Sided Blog (albeit faster), which started out to chronicle a D&D game (PbP), gradually moved into general tabletop-RPG talk, and then stopped talking about tabletop gaming altogether.
krellen

Postby krellen » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:08 am

Actually, part of what happened is that I started up a couple tabletop groups on Skype - though that only explains why the PbP is still dead, since it was the PbP dying that spurred me to start the Skype thing in the first place.
Mathias

Postby Mathias » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:35 am

I'd love to make a tabletop group as well, but the fact that the tabletop forums seem to just kind of have...stopped, is a little off-putting.
Ygor

Postby Ygor » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:26 pm

@Mathias: I'm all up for it, if you would deal with my terrible english.

It's a shame how the tabletop discussions died off pretty fast. Maybe I'll sneak there and create some topics but the lack of interesting things to say for now is what's keeping me away from it.
JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:11 am

Hi guys, I'm Justin (the other guy from Ninja Blues) and I just remembered this is a place. I made an account forever ago and forgot to ever actually post anything.

I like cookies.

Return to “Welcome, Announcements, and Questions”