Welcome thread?

Talk about the site itself. It's so meta!
Sudanna

Welcome thread?

Post by Sudanna » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:40 am

Hi, I'm a person. Should I be doing this? I dunno. It's a thing that is done, though, so I am. So yeah. Hi! I'm Nalyd. I do lonely nerd things. I like forums. I don't like comment threads. I like Twenty Sided. How about you? Tell me about yourself.
shamusyoung
Site Admin

Re: Welcome thread?

Post by shamusyoung » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:44 am

I'm Shamus. I write a blog. And do a podcast. And write books. And play videogames. And participate in a video series. And write a weekly column. And I'm a father of three.

And writing all of this made me suddenly aware of how busy I ought to be right now.
krellen

Post by krellen » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:48 am

I'm krellen. I'm currently unemployed, but that should be changing any day now. I also have a blog, and play video games, and sometimes write stuff. I'm also going to be running Play-by-Post games here, the first of which is ready to launch in the form of this giant wall of text.
neon_goggles

Post by neon_goggles » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:13 am

I'm Neon_goggles i play video games, like monsters, and love GURPS.
Exetera

Post by Exetera » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:15 am

I'm Exetera. I play video games, code video games, run a Let's Play of Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines with Krellen and NewDarkCloud, and crash parties, including this party. Theoretically I have a blog but it hasn't been updated in a while. My current project is a real-world Skinner's Box, for people. It's not quite as evil as it sounds.
Last edited by Exetera on Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Muspel

Post by Muspel » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:17 am

I'm Muspel. I play MMOs way too much, and sometimes write guides for them. I'm also studying C and Java in college right now.
McNutcase

Post by McNutcase » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:49 am

I'm McNutcase. I'm a displaced Brit, now an American citizen, and while I don't have a paying job, keeping up with life in general feels like one. I'm a fount of information on such things as chronic pain and illness, hippie story-focused tabletop RPGs in which you rarely roll dice, hard science fiction, how game developers are getting accessibility all wrong, how modern cars are crap compared to ancient things like my brick of a Volvo, weird neurological stuff like synaesthesia, why we should be going to space more, and why those damn kids should get off my lawn.
Jamfalcon

Post by Jamfalcon » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:56 am

I'm Jamfalcon. I've never been very active on the Twenty Sided comments, but I've been following all the content Shamus has been putting out since mid-2008, and greatly enjoying all of it. I play video games, as one might expect, and DM a weekly D&D campaign (3.5, currently running the Age of Worms campaign, although in the past I've mostly run adventures of my own creation). I also like forums, so I'm looking forward to spending a lot of time here.
krellen

Post by krellen » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:57 am

We totally need to form a "get off my lawn" group. You in, Shamus?
Jamfalcon

Post by Jamfalcon » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:01 am

McNutcase wrote:...how modern cars are crap compared to ancient things like my brick of a Volvo...

Volvo driver's high five! Volvo's are something of a tradition in my family — my parent's property has close to a dozen broken down old ones parked on it for parts (they have a pretty big yard). It cuts down on the price of parts pretty significantly.
McNutcase

Post by McNutcase » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:05 am

Jamfalcon wrote:
McNutcase wrote:...how modern cars are crap compared to ancient things like my brick of a Volvo...

Volvo driver's high five! Volvo's are something of a tradition in my family — my parent's property has close to a dozen broken down old ones parked on it for parts (they have a pretty big yard). It cuts down on the price of parts pretty significantly.

My parents' place was like that when I was a kid. Went through three 240s that way. I still think of the 240 as the definitive Volvo, even though I drive a 940 and my wife drives a Prius wagon these days...
Jamfalcon

Post by Jamfalcon » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:21 am

McNutcase wrote:
Jamfalcon wrote:

My parents' place was like that when I was a kid. Went through three 240s that way. I still think of the 240 as the definitive Volvo, even though I drive a 940 and my wife drives a Prius wagon these days...

Yeah, it's almost entirely 240s at my parents' too, although their last couple, as well as the one I drive, have been 740s, since the 240s are unfortunately getting pretty difficult to find in decent condition.

You know, if someone had told me yesterday that my first conversation on the Twenty Sided forums would be about cars, I wouldn't have believed them.
Nano Proksee

Post by Nano Proksee » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:18 am

I'm Nano and I play video games (and everybody salutes "Hi Nano" with monotone voices like in a movie version of a AA meeting)

Kind of a lurker on the blog but hoping to be more active here.

I also enjoy anime (Shinichirou Watanabe, Mamoru Hosoda, ect), cinema (Edgar Wright, Guy Ritchie, ect) and comics (johnnywander.com, english.bouletcorp.com, ect)

I'm from Latin America and my grammer is awfful
Imposing Snail

Post by Imposing Snail » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:45 am

My name is Imposing Snail and I'm neither one of those. I've followed the blog for years and commented just twice, that I can remember.

I've been around at the hangouts and even got an X-Com soldier with my name, which I guess makes me A Person Josh has Murdered. I was also Waylander in Guild Wars 2 if anybody from there is around. Incidentally, is anybody still playing that? I keep hovering over the icon and thinking about getting back into it but then something shiny distracts me.
The Rocketeer

Post by The Rocketeer » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:39 am

I was promised a drug ring. What is this? A respectable venue? Rubbish.

And the only language is British English? I'll have to practise.
dudecon

Welcome to the Paul Spooner Fan Club, graciously hosted by S

Post by dudecon » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:46 am

Greetings citizens! I'm Paul Spooner, but you can all call me Dudecon here on the internet. I'm the golden child. Everything goes right for me when I think, speak, and act.
When I'm not exuding pure awesome, I have a day job as an engineer designing and building robots that build airplanes. In my off time I take care of my wife, 2.5 children, and yard with a white fence around it. I also make 3D graphics for movies, compose and perform music, program computers, forge plate armor, write poetry, and occasionally help complete strangers push their cars out of the intersection when it dies and they are holding up traffic but no one else seems to want to get out and help because then there would be two cars stopped in the intersection instead of one but sometimes you need to make a small problem to solve a bigger problem am I right?
So, if you're looking for a stuck up, self-righteous, annoyingly never-quite-wrong, discussion-ending, quip-flinging, paunce to deride... look no further! I'm the patronizing prick poster boy!
I also love to tell everyone about my religious and political views. I'll kick off the discussion in the relevant forums as soon as Shamus makes me a mod... which should be any minute now!
Ranneko

Post by Ranneko » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:51 am

i, I am Ranneko, and I also play games, it is like this is a thing that is pretty common.

Don't comment or post much. But for reference, I am Australian, in my mid twenties and work in the IT industry.
Humanoid

Post by Humanoid » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:51 am

The Rocketeer wrote:I was promised a drug ring. What is this? A respectable venue? Rubbish.

And the only language is British English? I'll have to practise.

It's good praxis to practise, lest you fall out of practice.
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:32 am

Yay,Shamoose loves us after all!Im so happy I could die now.If I were,you know,mortal an such.
Knut

Post by Knut » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:48 am

Hi,

I'm Knut. I'm a programmer by profession and hobby. I also play video games and (sometimes) board games and RPGs.
I live in Norway, so I'm also obligated to do some outdoor activities, like fishing and hunting and skiing and so on. So there's that.

I like sci-fi more than fantasy.
Someone

Post by Someone » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:37 am

I'm Someone. I play, live and breathe videogames.
I string letters together to make words and arrange them into sentences, although english is not my first language so I don't actually know what they mean.
I even had a let's play blog once, where I posted a text LP of Baldur's Gate. It was hugely successful and the visitor count eventually reached double digits, so I decided to quit while I'm still riding high, before the wild parties, drugs and sex wear me out.
df458

Post by df458 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:27 am

I'm df458. I'm a college student majoring in Game Programming(and surprisingly, getting my money's worth), and I've been lurking on the blog for the better part of... 5 years? Something like that. While I'm at it, let throw a quick thank-you to Shamus, whose posts originally got me interested in programming.
Aldowyn

Post by Aldowyn » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:22 pm

Aldowyn here. You may know me from Disclosure Alert, which Daemian kindly made a discussion thread for here on the forums. You may also know me from my fairly prolific twitterings, very slow blog, or my various delvings into the twenty sided comments. So hi! :D
modus0

Post by modus0 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:38 pm

I'm modus0.

I'm into videogames, tabletop RPGs, reading, and amateur CG art.

I'm also rather shy and have no idea what else I may add. :|
Anorak

Post by Anorak » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:22 pm

I'm Anorak.

Been a long time lurker / occasional opinionated commenter on Shamus' blog. I've always enjoyed the programming posts / game development posts, and the game dev culture type posts. Since I started working away a lot, I've used Spoiler Warning as a stand in for actually playing games myself. I've found this to have a peculiar impact on my own playing style.

.....so......hi.....?

I have my own site, here: Daft Ideas. It's got a blog on it, for my personal programming projects, which I very, very seldom update, and when I update it it seems to signify the death of that particular project. Current project is a long running engineering one, where a friend and I are building a UAV. We currently average about 1 hours work a month. My proudest internet moment was doing the animations for Clear Skies 3

</plug>

So, I'm very curious as to what this forum ends up being.