Good Robot, the Collaboration

dudecon

Good Robot, the Collaboration

Postby dudecon » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:01 am

With this in mind:
Arvind Raja Yadav wrote:... it is indeed better to wait until the game is out. Buzz is much better if someone who hears about the game can immediately buy it. (However I’m not going to stop you if you do stuff beforehand)
I figured this would be a good a space as any to collaborate on fan stuff that may help to promote both Good Robot, and the abilities of those who wish to contribute. The forum is out-of-the-way enough that I feel like it isn't exactly "buzz" if it's just here.

Anyway, here's the Good Robot 3d model I used to make this video, fully rigged in Blender and ready to go.
http://tryop.com/MediaDocs/GoodRobot/GoodRobot.blend

If anyone else would like to contribute music, video, models, editing, etc, I'm sure we could come up with a stock of quite a few videos, posters, etc that we could then deploy in a couple months when the time is right. Just post a link in this thread to whatever you come up with. I don't know how the rest of you feel about IP, but all of my stuff is public domain, so feel free to use it however you like.

UPDATE: Completed videos so far:
Space Opera
Spider Cave
Crash the Club
Shump Gameplay
I'm done with this series, for now anyway. Let me know if anyone would like the source files and I'll upload them somewhere.
Last edited by dudecon on Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Retsam

Re: Good Robot, the Collaboration

Postby Retsam » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:30 am

If nothing else, everyone interested in supporting the game should wishlist it on Steam; as I understand the number of people wishlist a title influence how high it shows up on Steam and recommendations and such.
dudecon

Postby dudecon » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:15 am

But that would mean starting up Steam and... there goes my productivity for the evening.
EDIT: Turns out it's already on my wishlist. Oh well... I guess it wouldn't hurt to play a bit of The Witness while I'm here.
dudecon

Postby dudecon » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:13 am

Progress shot of some animation. It's taking hours to animate all these spiders.Image
dudecon

Postby dudecon » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:19 am

Video 1 available here:
https://youtu.be/zJuzHIjAeBE

It's unlisted and premature, so please don't share publicly.

Comments and critique welcome.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:06 pm

That length it is now is good. I think it needs more though. Consider splicing in game footage and speeding up the work you've done. Not necessarily uniformly sped up though. It needs a bit more frantic energy and to show more unit diversity. The large numbers of spider bots are cool. Good Robot dying (which I like!) takes 30 seconds of the video. It's a great sequence except it is too large a percentage of the entire video. A transition is needed showing him being rebuilt back to life, except that also extends the length further. I really like it overall. It's a beautiful piece of work.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:17 am

Now is the time to wow everyone with your hard work of free advertising. There's a release date now.
dudecon

Postby dudecon » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:45 pm

Steve C wrote:Now is the time to wow everyone with your hard work of free advertising. There's a release date now.
Aaaugh! The pressure! Probably good though, otherwise nothing gets done.
Steve C wrote:That length it is now is good.
Sweet. I edited the song down to where it felt like it had a good arc, and then designed the cinematic around the song. Glad I hit a good length.
Steve C wrote:... It needs a bit more frantic energy and to show more unit diversity. The large numbers of spider bots are cool. Good Robot dying (which I like!) takes 30 seconds of the video. It's a great sequence except it is too large a percentage of the entire video. A transition is needed showing him being rebuilt back to life, except that also extends the length further.
I'll try intercutting some re-construction shots along with some robots shooting things and see if that punches it up enough.
Steve C wrote:I really like it overall. It's a beautiful piece of work.
Thanks!

While I'm working on those updates, here are a couple other songs I'd like to animate to.
Drum and Face: it's quick, peppy, comical. Could be a good times. I was thinking that the bad robots are having a dance party and then Good Robot drops in and wrecks the place.
Synth Opera: I feel like this song is almost too beautiful to animate to, but it's an option. I'd like more than two weeks to put it together, but amazing things happen under pressure.

If anyone has storyboard ideas, specific scenes in mind, etc. I'm happy to take suggestions.
dudecon

Postby dudecon » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:31 am

Version 2 is up! So much better this time.
https://youtu.be/XIwBP1jOQsU
Same as before, unlisted and not ready for public consumption.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:33 pm

Hmmm.
There are some jumps in the video before 10s mark. Also at about the same time some text scrollls by. Watching it first time I think I was only able to see that is says something like Good robot, but not what it says below it. So scroll is too quick.
Also, excatly what message is the video suppoosed to send. Be the good robot and run away and get blown up?
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:10 pm

I liked that a lot better than the first iteration, though I'll also point out the jumps at the beginning are a little weird and don't feel right. Really like the spiders' firing effect.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:21 am

The text (all of it) detracts from the video. The most it should say is, "Good Robot. Available Now."
dudecon

Postby dudecon » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:42 am

Thanks for the feedback! Here's the latest version. Any thoughts for a video title?

4th Dimension wrote:There are some jumps in the video before 10s mark.
Trix2000 wrote:... I'll also point out the jumps at the beginning are a little weird and don't feel right.
Replaced it with a couple speedup things instead. Feels better.

4th Dimension wrote:Also ... some text scrollls by. Watching it first time I think I was only able to see that is says something like Good robot, but not what it says below it. So scroll is too quick.
Steve C wrote:The text (all of it) detracts from the video. The most it should say is, "Good Robot. Available Now."
Done.

4th Dimension wrote:Also, excatly what message is the video suppoosed to send. Be the good robot and run away and get blown up?
Yeah, that's a bit lame isn't it? The music I set it to feels super down, so I didn't want to show any heroics. I'm planning on GR doing a lot of knocking robots apart in the subsequent videos (If I ever get around to making them).

Trix2000 wrote:I liked that a lot better than the first iteration ... Really like the spiders' firing effect.
Thanks! That was my attempt at Kirby Dots. I'd really like to figure out a way to do a real fractal edge to the blasts, but the circular cutouts will have to suffice for now.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:26 am

I think you nailed it!

I don't remember, but did you ever release the other one?
dudecon

Postby dudecon » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:03 am

Steve C wrote:I think you nailed it!
I don't remember, but did you ever release the other one?
Perfect! It's publicly searchable on Youtube, but I haven't... advertized or anything. I put it on my Patreon, but that gets less traffic than these forums. :P

Any suggestions for the next one? I think a week and a half is just about enough time to do one more.
For reference, here's the song I started with for the above video:
http://tryop.com/MediaDocs/GoodRobot/Fo ... _demo2.ogg
My notes for this song are "Slow panning shots, viewing battle from far off, slowly encroaching spiders (footsteps sync to music), fatalistic, giant spider in the background? spotlight pan over intro"

and here are the other songs I've got to work with (unless anyone else has suggestions):

Bad Robot: It really sounds like a bad robot to me, but doesn't inspire me. Anyone have any ideas for what GR could be doing to this tune?
My notes say "Cool guy, fighter jet"

Drum and Face: it's quick, peppy, comical. Could be a good times. I was thinking that the bad robots are having a dance party and then Good Robot drops in and wrecks the place. Yes? No?
My notes say "Dance party goes south, melody is reflecting laserbeam, GR crashes party, siren is alarm, counterpoint melody is boss enemy, who dies, GR looking frantically for foes, phaser at end is GR leaving"

Synth Opera: I feel like this song is almost too beautiful to animate to, but it's an option. I'd like more than two weeks to put it together, but amazing things happen under pressure. Kind of at the other end of the spectrum from Bad Robot... Synth Opera gives me too many ideas.
My notes say "pluck: robot internal mechanisms, lights. Hat hit: shield takes damage. Soft noise shuffle: servos & pistons. Deep drum: shots fired. Synth organ: robot flying. Counterpoint melody: enemy factories."
Last edited by dudecon on Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:54 am

Assuming you are ok with them being distributed, you should bring them to Shamus or Arvind's attention. As for the other thing, I have no useful opinions about music.
dudecon

Postby dudecon » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:11 pm

Steve C wrote:Assuming you are ok with them being distributed, you should bring them to Shamus or Arvind's attention...
Sounds good. I'll do that a few days before launch in case they want to link it.

The top quote comes from exactly such an effort. That's why I'm waiting until launch to publish these publicly. I've also approached the Pyrodactyl team to formally make cinematics for the game, but they decided it didn't fit with their style, so they don't want a formal association which is understandable.

I'm guessing Shamus is aware enough of the forums that he knows this is going on. Or, if not, that his time is better spent elsewhere at the moment.
dudecon

Postby dudecon » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:00 pm

New video. This time set to the tune of John Callaghan's "Bad Robot demo"
A bit different style, and with some game footage thrown in there.
https://youtu.be/bmA_sYg0Zvk

Also, here's a rough timing study for the "Drum and Face" video.
https://youtu.be/v-i0NHgEHk0

With a quick progress render of the dance floor:
Comments, suggestions, etc are, as always, welcomed.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:13 am

It looked fun enough untill those covers started popping up and obscuring the main action, and I have no idea what is their tie to the Good Robot. Are those Bullet Hell games? If you really want to include them in maybe make them smaller. As it is they prevent the viewer form seeing the Good Robot gameplay, the main thing he might be interested in.
dudecon

Postby dudecon » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:19 am

4th Dimension wrote:It looked fun enough untill those covers started popping up and obscuring the main action, and I have no idea what is their tie to the Good Robot. Are those Bullet Hell games? If you really want to include them in maybe make them smaller. As it is they prevent the viewer form seeing the Good Robot gameplay, the main thing he might be interested in.

Yeah, feedback has been universally negative on that one. So I pared it down to a simple gameplay video set to the song.
https://youtu.be/KwRmJ5vk_jE

Also! Drum and Face video is coming along!
https://youtu.be/G6EATD-oSPU
Hoping to get the full-rez render done tonight, but there's still time for last-minute changes.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:38 pm

Now you swung it wayy back. Now it lack punch and is a "simple" gameplay video. Some text or something lauding the game and it's features would break the monotony.
dudecon

Postby dudecon » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:22 pm

Full rez version of Drum and Face (up to Version 5) Pretty sure this is the final version, but I can still make small changes by re-rendering individual frames or doing overlay geometry.
https://youtu.be/Ciz_pAW2QVU

Still not inspired by Bad Robot. If you think I should add text, let me know what text to put up there and I'll make it happen.

I'd really like to go 4 for 4 and do something for Synth Opera, but I'm not sure what. I kind of want to do a space station, but having trouble working in the Good Robot angle.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:51 pm

Hey hey, let's not confuse roles here. You are the artist, you are to pour yourself entirely into THE WORK. And me/we are The Critic. I'm here to tell you what worked, and what part that you put yourself completely in is COMPLETELY WRONG and WHAT WERE YOU THINKING. ;)

The Drum and Face is nice though. Short but nice. Allthough without knowing that this is bad robot party, you might confuse things ;)
dudecon

Postby dudecon » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:46 am

4th Dimension wrote:Hey hey, let's not confuse roles here...
Haha... but the joke is on you... I'm taking you down with me!
(if the joke doesn't work... turn on annotations)
4th Dimension wrote:The Drum and Face is nice though. Short but nice. Allthough without knowing that this is bad robot party, you might confuse things ;)
Excellent!

Well, in the absence of any other ideas, here's a concept storyboard thing for Synth Opera:
https://youtu.be/CtsrAkynRg0
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:14 pm

dudecon wrote:
4th Dimension wrote:Hey hey, let's not confuse roles here...
Haha... but the joke is on you... I'm taking you down with me!
(if the joke doesn't work... turn on annotations)
4th Dimension wrote:The Drum and Face is nice though. Short but nice. Allthough without knowing that this is bad robot party, you might confuse things ;)
Excellent!

Well, in the absence of any other ideas, here's a concept storyboard thing for Synth Opera:
https://youtu.be/CtsrAkynRg0

It's all in interpretation. I'm choosing to interpret that video as you saying I'm completely right at what I said in previous posts, because that video since it is referal only is made for yourself. You want that video to tell you the TRUTH that you don't want to acknowledge. Clever work really. And for a moment I thought you were simply trying to reverse roles. But only a HACK would do something like that ;)

The second video:
Untill I see it I won't know, but it seems a bit like the cuts might be a bit too fast since I had trouble reading half of them when you use fast cutting. So I'm not certain I would be able to get what each scene meant.

Return to “Videogames”