Also Not The 9 O'Clock News

Thomas

Also Not The 9 O'Clock News

Postby Thomas » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:45 am

I think people mentioned in some offhand comments that it might be cool to have a thread to chat about gaming news/occurrences that might not really justify a whole thread to themselves. This is that thread (hopefully, unless it doesn't work out).

---------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------
I'll start with the biggest piece of non-news ever, Fallout 4 confirmed, so all those fans who were stressing out and writing petitions can relax, it turns out that Bethesda is making a sequel to one of their exactly two tentpole franchises. Yay!

EDIT: Title courtesy of Daemian Lucifer
Last edited by Thomas on Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Humanoid

Re: This is not not the weekly news

Postby Humanoid » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:46 am

Pfft, obviously the XCOM 2 announcement is bigger news. If for nothing else, the fact that it has a release date, and it's this year. :D
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:51 am

Shouldve named the thread not 9 oclock news.

Thomas wrote:I'll start with the biggest piece of non-news ever, Fallout 4 confirmed, so all those fans who were stressing out and writing petitions can relax, it turns out that Bethesda is making a sequel to one of their exactly two tentpole franchises. Yay!

Meh,I dont really care for another bethfallout.When they decide to include obsidian again,I may check it out.

Humanoid wrote:Pfft, obviously the XCOM 2 announcement is bigger news. If for nothing else, the fact that it has a release date, and it's this year. :D

Now that is good news.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:33 am

Daemian Lucifer wrote:Shouldve named the thread not 9 oclock news.

I knew I was trying to reference something, but when I googled my thing it came up with nothing. I can't believe I forgot that name, thanks for suggesting it!
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:26 am

Daemian Lucifer wrote:
Thomas wrote:I'll start with the biggest piece of non-news ever, Fallout 4 confirmed, so all those fans who were stressing out and writing petitions can relax, it turns out that Bethesda is making a sequel to one of their exactly two tentpole franchises. Yay!

Meh,I dont really care for another bethfallout.When they decide to include obsidian again,I may check it out.

That probably won't happen, as last I knew, they only had the rights to make three games.
This will be the third.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:04 pm

Ringwraith wrote:
Daemian Lucifer wrote:

That probably won't happen, as last I knew, they only had the rights to make three games.
This will be the third.

They can always renew the license.Though I guess for that to happen,this game needs to be a success(meaning it has a profit of 1000%).
Ringwraith

Re: Also Not The 9 O'Clock News

Postby Ringwraith » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:06 pm

Well, they've already gotten into fights about the thing, so time will tell if they'll fork out again for it.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:14 pm

I thought that as of the last lawsuit with Interplay, Bethesda now unconditionally controls Fallout completely.
krellen

Postby krellen » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:39 pm

I'm pretty sure Bethsoft has always owned Fallout outright; the issue was that Interplay had rights to an MMO-version of Fallout, and the lawsuit was only over that one specific right.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:43 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:

In some ways though, this is the way round I want it to work. Bethesda can spend the time making the next-gen engine and assets with Fallout 4 and then Obsidian can use them to make a sequel which is actually good
bucaneer

Postby bucaneer » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:55 pm

Well, nothing in the trailer looked next-gen, whatever that means. It's very much a Fallout 3 2: now with Skyrim engine and less color filtering! Otherwise, it's the same theme-park approach to gameworld design (complete with not-Megaton, not-Rivet City and not-DC urban bits), no hint of NV style grand conflict, probably some sort of family drama as the main quest hook again...
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:03 pm

The colour change was great though, a real sign of how the approach to colouring has changed since last generation. In general there was a big focus on not making the wasteland brown and brown.

It almost had a Dishonoured vibe in parts
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:57 pm

Hey! Don't Starve Together has finally been made available for Don't Starve owners! If you bought Don't Starve before today (June 3) but do not have Don't Starve Together, Don't Starve Together has been added to your Steam Library. DST is still under development but they've made good on the promise that it would be free for Don't Starve owners.

And I'll be honest I was kind of doubtful there for a while.
JJR

Postby JJR » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:11 pm

Love all the colours in the Fallout 4 trailer. Considering the Boston setting, seemingly large Enclave presence, showing us the USS Constitution, the Paul Rever statue and the Bunker Hill Monument I wonder if they'll go for some kind of oppressive regime (Enclave) against liberation army (who knows) trying to mirror the American Revolution? Bit of a stretch and the American revolutionary iconography could just be an extension of their "patriotic 50s US" setting or could just be to show this is definitely Boston. Nonetheless there seemed to be vertibirds and power armour clad soldiers in Boston so we could assume it's Enclave controlled.

It could just be BoS but seeing as we there were lots of power armour and vertibirds show from before the bombs dropped we can presume there were a lot of government forces here. All of this is just guesswork of course.

Also mysterious stranger pictured below? Fallout 4 Spoiler Warning hype?

EDIT: Just realised most of the power armour is in the BoS style but we could still see a storyline mirroring the American Revolution with the BoS playing the role of us Brits
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:26 pm

Thomas wrote:
Daemian Lucifer wrote:

In some ways though, this is the way round I want it to work. Bethesda can spend the time making the next-gen engine and assets with Fallout 4 and then Obsidian can use them to make a sequel which is actually good

Good as in "it will be full of bugs"?

And this is a way better title for it.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:30 pm

I think the look of the FO4 trailer was supposed to really evoke the style of Fallout 1 and 2's visual style. That's what I got out of it, anyway. And it seems like the Boston setting rumors paid off.

But this, being the very first trailer, is designed specifically to be vague enough that they could still change almost anything at all, so if you're using it to set your expectations for story, game design, overall feel and tone, etc... You're mad. E3 is in less than two weeks, and even that presentation will be both infinitely more informative and still leave near-total wiggle room for the devs, so maybe wait for that before marking it down as ruined forever/inevitable redemption.

Alternatively, OBTAIN HYPE, YOUNG ONES.
Zukhramm

Postby Zukhramm » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:37 pm

I don't think I'm mad. If this is what they choose to show me of the game, this is what I'll judge it by. Besides, it's by Bethesda, meaning it's ruined forever by default.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:46 am

Thomas wrote:
Daemian Lucifer wrote:

The dilemma is this: I want to see another Obsidian-made game, but I don't want to see Obsidian waste their time again with low-paid contract work in which they don't see a single cent out of any copies sold. Unless they can negotiate a more favourable deal (and why would Bethesda, who have all the power, want to), I'd rather see them work on something more ambitious which would be better for them in the long run.

Of course, if the alternative is firing half the team, or going broke, then I suppose taking on low-paid contract work just to stay afloat looks a little more appealing, but I don't really know how they're doing financially these days, and what the majority of staff outside the comparatively small PoE team are allocated to. Disregarding any potential unannounced work, guessing mostly Armored Warfare, with a few Skyforge and Pathfinder.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:20 am

Humanoid wrote:The dilemma is this: I want to see another Obsidian-made game, but I don't want to see Obsidian waste their time again with low-paid contract work in which they don't see a single cent out of any copies sold. Unless they can negotiate a more favourable deal (and why would Bethesda, who have all the power, want to), I'd rather see them work on something more ambitious which would be better for them in the long run.

Of course, if the alternative is firing half the team, or going broke, then I suppose taking on low-paid contract work just to stay afloat looks a little more appealing, but I don't really know how they're doing financially these days, and what the majority of staff outside the comparatively small PoE team are allocated to. Disregarding any potential unannounced work, guessing mostly Armored Warfare, with a few Skyforge and Pathfinder.

I believe Obsidian currently have a big original IP project in the early-to-mid stages, but take that with several grains of salt because I have no idea when or where I heard that. (I'm not confusing it with North Carolina, I think they got signed on for something else a year or two ago. But, salt, grains, big) But I imagine they've got a sizeable team working on something to do with Pathfinder beyond the CCG thing. And yeah, an MMO is not a small thing to be working on. And I'm guessing the entirety of the POE team is still working, most on the expansion, a few on concepts for the sequel.

So yeah. If Obsidian's work is feast or famine, they're most definitely feasting right now.

Edit: Thread's a good idea, thanks Thomas.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:40 pm

Valve is now selling Steam Controllers.

$50 US. Preorders will come in on Oct. 16th, "weeks in advance of our official launch." I don't know what that "official" launch date is.

I'm pretty darn excited about it. For years, its been my feeling that the game industry has prioritized hardware output over input. I mean, when you get down to it, games are systems. An intrinsic nature of systems is that they'll generate a certain output from a certain input. There's been healthy experimentation in software level input/output (although its declined in the AAA scene in recent years), and hardware output has obviously been a big thing since forever, but hardware input has been static for years except for Nintendo (who... don't always know what to do with it). Steam Controllers seem to be the first new major exploration in hardware input (through haptic feedback pads) for the past several years, since Nintendo started trying to use motion controls and Microsoft and Sony tried to ape them. And I'm cheering for Valve for these things, although I don't know if I'm gonna put the money down for one quite yet.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:01 pm

It looks so ugly, I haven't seen a controller that I've wanted to hold less since the original Xbox controllers. But as a diehard mouse + keyboard hater I am excited about the potential of a controller that can play sim games. Hopefully it doesn't end up feeling like a trackpad or scroll ball, and the previews have been pretty positive about that.

I did mock them for retreating to the analogue stick, but in reflection I'm happy about that because there's a very direct feeling of inhabiting a character when you're pushing something in the direction you want to move, which WASD doesn't do and I'm not convinced the trackpads would do either. On the other hand, controlling the camera with a trackpad sounds like it would feel even better than doing it with an analogue stick (or a mouse)
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:22 am

Supahewok wrote:Valve is now selling Steam Controllers.

$50 US. Preorders will come in on Oct. 16th, "weeks in advance of our official launch." I don't know what that "official" launch date is.

I've gotta say, that preview was absolutely gorgeously made and showed off everything about the controller that makes me want one... but could they have possibly made a worse decision for the voice actor? He sounded so bored over the whole affair.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:22 am

I worry a bit about the direction game controllers have been going in recent years - as in, increasingly proprietary. I mean they're largely devices that can be summed up as "X number of axes, Y number of buttons" but there's a disappointing trend of seeing some PC games, for example, support XBox controllers only. If you have any other device, even if it's a thoroughly standard, generic gamepad, it won't work without using a software workaround to emulate the XBox controls.

That said, I'm fine with extensions of functionality as long as backwards compatibility is 100% retained. A game that implements gamepad rumble for example doesn't lock out gamepads which don't support the feature. If the Steam controller's extra functions work like that, then sure, I can call that progress.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:27 am

I can't see it taking off so quickly that there's any serious chance of seeing games designed for a steam controller in this generation. Most of the work so far seems to have been to make sure that the steam controller can emulate the functionality of a traditional controller (hence 4 button layout, d-pad, analogue stick).

Next generation I could see compatibility being broken, if the extra buttons on the controller work and are emulated by the consoles then that's going to change the way developers design their whole control scheme.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:46 am

Desura's owners have filed for bankruptcy. How this will affect the service is unknown, so if you have any games there you might want to download and archive them.

A shame, since they were the only place advertising Will Fight for Food DRM-free.

Return to “Videogames”