Also Not The 9 O'Clock News

Ringwraith

Re: Also Not The 9 O'Clock News

Postby Ringwraith » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:59 pm

You can also stupidly kill yourself within minutes with Obviously a Bad Idea.
The above one comes a little bit later.

They are funny when they're there, I always liked The Witcher 2's as they often repeatedly tell you it's a bad idea, giving you chances to back out.
Come to think of it, I also know a JRPG which essentially does this too. (With its own unique consequence!)
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:13 pm

Can we all note that, in Anno Domini 2017, Nintendo is launching a console that relies on Friend codes. Even better than that, the Switch doesn't actually come with friend code functionality installed. No, you have to download a day one update to get those.

They're saying they may change them in the future, which is a funny thing to say about a system that was antiquated a decade ago.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:28 pm

Friend codes by themselves aren't actually that bad?
It's more the fact they said it wouldn't have them that makes it look really stupid.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:57 am

I just dont get nintendo.What the hell is their deal with not wanting to supply the overwhelming demand for their products?Does business mean something different in japan?Can someone explain this to me?Because Im baffled by them constantly doing this shit.

The only explanation I can think of is that someone high up in manufacturing is deliberately stockpiling a bunch of their shit and then selling it on ebay for personal gain.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:24 am

Toy company mentality?
Artificial scarcity drives the demand for them up even higher, which tends to encourage people who are more on the fence to grab one when they see it.
This happens every year with whatever's the "in" toy at Christmas.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:28 am

Also Nintendo seems to have a philosophy of low stock in general, at least to me. I tried to get a New 3DS after Christmas and there were none at all to be had locally.
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:19 pm

Back when the NES Classic came out, there was an article that argued that Nintendo was either incompetent or actually being underhanded about their constant supply shortages. That they've discontinued it while it's still hard to find... Definitely swinging the scale towards "underhanded". They're creating a culture of "You better buy our stuff quick or else it might not still be here.."
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:35 pm

Yup.
Saw this with amiibo too.
It can't not be deliberate at this point.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:08 am

I believe the amiibo shortage was mainly in the US though? Whereas the discontinuation of the Mini has a global impact, so the decision-making might be occuring at different levels of management.
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:30 am

And of course, any toy collector will tell you that this kind of attitude benefits the scalpers far more than it benefits the company.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:42 am

My friend is going to buy multiple Zelda amiibos because he figures he'll be able to resell half for more than he bought them for. And he admits that they're the worst kind if moneygrubbing DLC but is going to them for himself anyway.

Also everyone thinks the Switch is selling really well even though Sony _and_ Microsoft both outsold the Switch in their launches.

Nintendo doesn't necessarily have to have a non-dumb reason, because the other console companies don't do this.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:52 am

Thomas wrote:Nintendo doesn't necessarily have to have a non-dumb reason, because the other console companies don't do this.

This.Same for their youtube crap.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:04 am

The reason is "greed".

Same reason why they charge so much for their old virtual console games and make you rebuy them for each different platform.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:08 am

Ringwraith wrote:The reason is "greed".

Greed is not the problem here.You can be greedy in a smart way.And if they were,they would earn way more than now.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:44 am

Yeah, because if they made more NES Minis they'd make more money. Nintendo trying to sell their stuff to as many people as possible would be a greedy move that people would love.

Also, these supply problems are often worst in the US. Its much easier to buy a Switch in the UK.
Lachlan the Sane

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:01 am

Didn't VGCats do a bit on this, back when the PS3 was understocked and the Wii was massively outselling it?

Yes, yes he did. And you could swap the places of the two main characters in that strip and it would 100% apply to the Switch launch.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Wed May 03, 2017 6:35 am

The list of "As long as Valve has X writer, I must believe they're still making single-player games" just got shorter again.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri May 12, 2017 7:38 am

Zenimax is assholish again.

A massive douche wrote:“If we don’t oppose the mark, we risk losing our Prey trademark and that isn’t acceptable,” said Hines. “Unfortunately, that’s how trademark law works.”

Bullshit it does.Its true only when there can be a confusion between the two.Like between "Prey" and "Phrey".But just because they use a single word the same in a radically different title for a game in a completely different genre DOES NOT mean theres any way to confuse the two.Why didnt firaxis lose their trademark for sid meier's civilization because galactic civilizations is a thing(or vice versa)?Yeah,the dispute over "civilization strategy board game" and "civilization strategy video game",that was a legit thing.But if the video game was called "Civilization for the gods" and was instead a third person platformer,no one wouldve raised a peep.So fuck you zenimax.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Fri May 12, 2017 8:04 am

Sometimes the trademark office is weird and says it's too similar.
I generally don't trust this sort of thing unless it's mentioned it came from there.

Trademark law is pretty stupid, though.
Lachlan the Sane

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Fri May 12, 2017 2:27 pm

Most IP lawyers are pretty old. Most of them are not gamers. Most of them don't even begin to understand the gradations between different types of video game. You and I might be able to easily tell the difference between 2006-linear-Prey and 2017-Metroidvania-Prey, but these lawyers couldn't tell them from Pac-Man.
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Fri May 12, 2017 3:26 pm

"Trademark law" is probably pretty close to a Forum #7 topic, but I do think that Zenimax's lawyers are probably correct in saying "this is how trademark law works". Yes, trademark law only applies where there's "reasonable confusion", but I think basically any two video games can be called "reasonably confusable".
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Fri May 12, 2017 4:16 pm

It's often frequently completely ridiculous.
Remember Scrolls?
It's just a repeat with the title situations flipped.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri May 12, 2017 4:58 pm

Retsam wrote:but I think basically any two video games can be called "reasonably confusable".

Sure,in basically the same way two shoes can be called "reasonably confusable".Or two drinks.

Ringwraith wrote:It's often frequently completely ridiculous.
Remember Scrolls?
It's just a repeat with the title situations flipped.

And thats the thing,you dont see many of publishers do this kind of crap,only the most douchebag ones.I guess at this point you could say that zenimax is aggressively protecting their trademark douchebaggery.
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Fri May 12, 2017 5:23 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:
Retsam wrote:but I think basically any two video games can be called "reasonably confusable".

Sure,in basically the same way two shoes can be called "reasonably confusable".Or two drinks.

You're saying things I agree with, but I assume you're saying them sarcastically, so I don't really understand what you're trying to say, (since you tend to leave your actual argument "between the lines" of your posts).

Because, yes, any two drinks probably would qualify for "reasonable confusion". I don't think I could make a "Monster coffee roast" and say that it's not infringing the Monster energy drink trademark, just because one is a soda and the other is a coffee, even though any reasonable person knows the difference between soda and coffee.

Whereas, there's not reasonable confusion between shoes and drinks; if I made "Monster tennis shoes", those couldn't be sued for trademark infringement by the Monster energy drink people, because nobody can reasonably confuse shoes and a soda.

---

I tend to assume trademark suits are "in good faith", because the company doesn't actually benefit from it. It costs them money to do it, and they know it's bad PR for them, and I'm fairly sure they don't generally get paid damages if they win; the other party just has to change their name, or otherwise come to an agreement. (The Scrolls suit ended with Mojang being allowed to keep the name, but having to give up any claim to trademarking the name) I really think if these companies could avoid making these cases, without putting their own trademark at risk, they would.

You can call companies names like "douchebags" and "assholes" and refer to their executives as "massive douches", if you want, but at the end of the day, trademark law is what it is.

Return to “Videogames”