Kickstarter - Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Kai von Eggenburg

Kickstarter - Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Postby Kai von Eggenburg » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:36 pm

I am very enthusiastic about this: Kingdom Come: Deliverance

This Kickstarter project is in its final 24 hours, and I don't even know where to start explaining why this appears to turn into something awesome - there are so many reasons. Maybe let's start with the description from the Kickstarter page:

Realistic single-player RPG set in the medieval Europe. Open-world sandbox with period accurate melee combat. Dungeons & no Dragons.

There is a nice story behind this project: The developer is Warhorse Studios, a small studio based in the Czech Republic, whose members nonetheless seem to have quite a lot of experience in the field. They have a Czech billionaire behind them as an investor who has enough resources to fund the whole development of the game. However, when they tried to pitch their prototype to publishers, none of them had the courage to jump on the wagon: The most common response was that nobody would buy a realistic medieval RPG - people want magic & dragons! Or so they thought...

The investor got worried as a result, and that is the reason they started the Kickstarter campaign: To see if anybody was interested in such a game at all. If not, they would probably have to scrap the project. But if the interest in the game is big enough, they would publish it by themselves.

So far, they have proved all those publishers wrong. They reached their (very minimalistic) goal in less than two days. And so far, it appears, everybody who has at least seen the trailer has said "yep, that looks absolutely great".

One reason I think this is such an awesome project is that the developers have, apart from a lot of enthusiasm, also put so much thought into it. They have a very clear vision of what they want, and the most important thing they want is to produce a good game, that looks good, feels good, and is believable.

Another reason I like this so much is that the in-game maps will be largely based on actual landscape in the Czech Republic. It has a certain appeal when you find out the name of the main town in the game and then are able to look the place up on Google Maps...

So anyway, if you would like to join in, feel free to do so (after the Kickstarter campaign, the developers will most likely also provide the ability to support the project (and get a low-priced copy of the game) via PayPal); the estimated publication date is end of 2015, there will be alpha & beta access for people with higher pledges. Right now, they are trying to reach the final (?) stretch-goal of 1,2 million Pounds, which will bring us some famous actor or actress to do voice-over and performance motion capture for a character in the game. :o)

Return to “Videogames”