Videogames IN SPAAAACEEEE

Daemian Lucifer

Videogames IN SPAAAACEEEE

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:44 pm

I love me some space strategy games.Supremacy,master of orion,homeworld,galactic civilizations,SPAZ,sins of the solar empire....if its a strategy,and it is in space,Im almost guarantied to love it.Though for some reason I am not drawn to any other genre set in space that much.But I know many other people are.Thats why this post here will be for sharing all of the videogames IN SPAAAACEEEE that you love,and the ones you think are hidden gems that others should try out.

Well,since I said which ones I love,Ill go right to some obscure strategies that I think people should try out(I wont talk about the ones mentioned above,since most of you know them,or Shamoose talked about them,except for supremacy):

Nexus:The jupiter incident
This is a great one.It starts you with terrestrial ships that slowly accelerate and obey inertia and use missiles,and then you find aliens that give you the futuristic stuff that slowly break all of laws of physics.Its more of a tactical game though,since you command just a small fleet of ships and cant build new ones.If you like homeworld,this is one for you.

Ascendancy
This is an old gold one.You start with your weird little race on a single planet,and then slowly expand and build various ships and structures.It also features one of the best turn based mechanics,that Im really said wasnt used elsewhere:Turns are really short(a single day),and you cant do much during one.But,you have the option to advance time not by just one turn,but until something interesting happens(you get new population,finish a project,your ship reaches destination,you find new tech...).Almost like the original xcom,only the time is still instead of slowly ticking away while you are pondering your turn.The only fault of this game was its dumb ai.But,if you like moo or galciv,this one is for you.

Supremacy
I think this was my very first strategy,back when I was a kid with a commodore 64.It is played mostly via tables,and has taken away much of my days back then.
Traiden

Re: Videogames IN SPAAAACEEEE

Postby Traiden » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:49 pm

I also have a soft spot in my wallet when it comes to Space Strat and 4X games. I can't think off hand any titles and being separated from my gaming computer I can't readily check up on it. I will however give a hearty recommendation to these three titles.
Lovecrafter

Postby Lovecrafter » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:41 pm

I will second Nexus: TJI, and of course Homeworld (being one of my favorite RTSes ever). In fact, I still think The Many from Homeworld: Cataclysm have one of the creepiest speech patterns I've ever heard in a videogame.
Knut

Postby Knut » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:01 pm

I remember playing alot of Stars!. Very basic graphics, alot of micromanagement, and some confusing options aside, this is a deep and rich strategy game. If you can find it.
AileTheAlien

Postby AileTheAlien » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:26 am

Startopia is a pretty good sim-ish game, where you manage a space station.
Sort of like Dungeon Keeper meets Deep Space 9.
The best part, I feel, are the adorable little space-kitty things which eat your garbage.
Spoiler: If you don't keep your station clean, and they eat too much, they turn into giant, murderous space-beetles!
Although, to be honest, there was essentially only one "map", and it was pretty boring.
No changes in environment, like impenetrable rocks or gem deposits like Dungeon Keeper.
Good setting and character art, though! :)

Sword of the Stars and all its expansions/sequel, are a decent enough set of strategy games.
Civilization meets Master of Orion?
The one feature I feel really out to be in more games, is its research tree.
It's very nicely graphically represented, so that you don't get lost or blindly start researching stuff, like in Civilization.
Also, it randomly has some of the techs farther from the trunk/core of the tree unavailable to you in the game.
Adds a lot of replayability and suspense, since you don't always know what will be the optimal research path for a given game, or if you can count on your favourite tech being available.
It's also got several factions which all fundamentally play differently, with regards to how they travel between star systems.
Indy_S

Postby Indy_S » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:04 am

I think Imperium Galactica was my first experience with 4X games. It was a great game (even if it might only be nostalgia). The game was remarkably replayable given there was no random generation in creating a new game. As you rank up to Admiral, you're fighting an enemy equal to your little empire and when you're finally given total freedom, depending on how fast you moved through the first part, the Dargslan threat will be your size or the entire rest of the map. That is one hell of a fight to come back from.

The sequel is just an improvement in almost every way. Random generation is a welcome addition and it has multiplayer. Of course, as a 14-year-old game, it feels and looks very old.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:27 pm

AileTheAlien wrote:Sword of the Stars and all its expansions/sequel, are a decent enough set of strategy games.

The original,definitely.But the sequel?Even if they managed to iron out all the bugs(which I really doubt) I still wont touch that one because it was such an atrocious launch.
Mark K

Postby Mark K » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:50 pm

Yo check out Space Engine. It simulates the known universe, and procedurally fills in everything unknown.
AileTheAlien

Postby AileTheAlien » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:39 pm

Mark K wrote:Space Engine

Cool concept, although it's not technically a game. :)

Daemian Lucifer wrote:
AileTheAlien wrote:Sword of the Stars and all its expansions/sequel, are a decent enough set of strategy games.

The original,definitely.But the sequel?Even if they managed to iron out all the bugs(which I really doubt) I still wont touch that one because it was such an atrocious launch.

Yeah, I never said they were all good or great games, just decent. :)
I think that the sequel was largely the same game as the first, although I don't think I played the campaign modes, so I have no clue if the story is much different.
The biggest problems with those games are:
1. The gameplay itself is sort of boring.
2. All of the AI calculations are done when the player hits the end turn button, and nothing is precalculated, approximated, or best-guessed.
This basically means that as the game goes on, you start waiting on the AI for about 3-5 minutes, taking 30 seconds to do your turn, then repeating.
Obviously, this isn't a problem if you play only with human players, but good luck finding enough of those with a copy of the game!

I'd actually recommend them more as a case study for (future) game developers, and not so much for having fun.
X2Eliah

Postby X2Eliah » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:49 am

Speaking of space videogames, X:Rebirth (singleplayer nonrealistic space-sim game) finally got properly revealed, with fancy trailers and a release date of 15th November (19th for US-folk).

RPS's writeup: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08 ... h-footage/

SO MUCH WANT.

Edit - well poop, no youtube embedding here. Straight linkies, then:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/NEbL1p5vZpw

http://www.youtube.com/embed/OhT2zmF7ip4
AileTheAlien

Postby AileTheAlien » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:03 pm

X2Eliah wrote:X:Rebirth

Yeowzers, that game looks amazing!
I personally think, that one of the main ways new games wow audiences, will be with huge differences in scale.
We went from old-school games, where everything needed to be exactly the same size (Super Mario Bros), to having things within a 1:2 size or so (Super Mario 3), to games which had things within about 1:10 (Half-Life 1, System Shock 2), to about 1:100 (Shadow of the Colossus, Hard Reset's bosses).

Now, if a space game is using a more real setting, it's going to have things on the order of 1:10^9, or even larger.
For a simple example, imagine an FPS/strategy game where you have space stations inhabited by humans controlled by players, orbiting the sun.
The diameter of the sun is about 10^9 m, and a human is about 1 m wide.
Now, to know each players' location to FPS-precision on this RTS-size scale, that'd probably be a ratio of at least 1:10^12.
To have all the game's assets stored to this amount of precision, on this scale, that'd probably mean using 64-bit or 128-bit datatypes for nearly everything.
Oh, what's that, the server ran out of RAM? Oops.
Charnel Mouse

Postby Charnel Mouse » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:47 pm

Knut wrote:I remember playing alot of Stars!. Very basic graphics, alot of micromanagement, and some confusing options aside, this is a deep and rich strategy game. If you can find it.

Stars!, as far as I can tell, still has an active community, and a second instalment - in what is planned to be a trilogy - has been announced. I didn't play it enough to get the hang of it, but the idea of a newer, bigger version is enticing, if utterly terrifying given the amount of micromanagement in the first one.
Matthias

Postby Matthias » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:18 pm

AileTheAlien wrote:
X2Eliah wrote:X:Rebirth

Yeowzers, that game looks amazing!

I'll pass that along to the team, although I believe they're rather spoiled due to hearing that often :-)

AileTheAlien wrote:Now, if a space game is using a more real setting, it's going to have things on the order of 1:10^9, or even larger.
For a simple example, imagine an FPS/strategy game where you have space stations inhabited by humans controlled by players, orbiting the sun.
The diameter of the sun is about 10^9 m, and a human is about 1 m wide.
Now, to know each players' location to FPS-precision on this RTS-size scale, that'd probably be a ratio of at least 1:10^12.
To have all the game's assets stored to this amount of precision, on this scale, that'd probably mean using 64-bit or 128-bit datatypes for nearly everything.

That would indeed be absolutely infeasible with today's (or probably next decade's) hardware, but also not necessary.
We're using local coordinate systems (which we call Zones) that don't exceed 50km in either direction (so they're a cube with 100km side length). At these coordinates single-precision floating point variables can still provide an accuracy in the order of centimeters. (First-person movement happens on even smaller scales in our game, so accuracy is a total non-issue there.)
It's possible to exceed these boundaries by having another Zone at a different position, i.e. with a different offset to the coordinate system one level higher (which in our game is called a Sector). With dynamic creation of these Zones as the player moves around it's possible to have practically infinite freedom of movement without losing any local coordinate accuracy.
While we do have even higher coordinate systems, these are only used to group our game graph logically.

Hm, upon re-reading this it seems a bit rambling... If it's not clear what I'm saying let me know, I might make a larger post of this if people are interested.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:22 pm

Matthias wrote:Hm, upon re-reading this it seems a bit rambling... If it's not clear what I'm saying let me know, I might make a larger post of this if people are interested.

It was clear to me. You have a box, inside a box, inside a box, inside a collapsible box on wheels, in a room that can have many boxes on wheels.
Matthias

Postby Matthias » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:57 pm

Steve C wrote:It was clear to me. You have a box, inside a box, inside a box, inside a collapsible box on wheels, in a room that can have many boxes on wheels.

"Well, my head a splode."
AileTheAlien

Postby AileTheAlien » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:08 pm

Matthias wrote:Hm, upon re-reading this it seems a bit rambling...

I have a useless B.Sc. in Comp Sci, so I understand what you're saying. :)
An alternate solution, since I'm so fond of general-case stuff, would be to write your own arbitrary-precision floating-point library.
Sure it would suck, and require a lot of testing, but then you'd be future-proof if you ever wanted to make, for example, a spaceship that is 250 km long!
(DUN DUN, DUNNN!)

Just thought of this (and it's technically on-topic, too! :) Planetary Annihilation.
Looks like it's going to be a pretty sweet RTS once it's done.
However, I personally take issue with a couple of the features they are planning to include or remove from its spiritual successors, TA, SupCom, etc.
y u keep factory bot-assist? :C
Sudanna

Postby Sudanna » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:22 pm

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:43 pm

Noooo!The exploits,they dont work any moooreee!The AI,it has been improveeed!AAaaaurgh!!

Wait...Thats actually a good thing.I mean,running a fleet of salvage corvettes into your enemy and capturing them all is fun,but not really challenging.Now they at least attempt to defend against that.Though still not very successfully.

I like the improvement of interface into that of 2,though it did remove the "evasive tactics",which is not as good.It was great for increasing survivability of fighters.

And the shinies,so much of the shinieeeeessss....I love the shinies.Best remaster ever.
Sudanna

Postby Sudanna » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:43 pm

They added autobalancing to the Homeworld 1 campaign. :(((((((((((((((((((((((
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:05 am

Wait,wasnt the original auto balanced as well?

Anyway,auto ballancing still doesnt bother,me because salvage corvettes are still mighty useful.You just need to protect them a bit better,but they still can get you a fleet of destroyers and a carrier in mission 5.You cant use that carrier to construct anything,but it still is well defended and speeds up your resource gathering operation nicely.And,since you will be replenishing your fleet by capturing your enemy,all you need to spend resources on are replacement salvage corvettes.

Thats why cataclysm is the most challenging of them all,since you arent allowed to touch your enemy(except with ramming frigates,which are uber cool).

But in 1 and 2,it doesnt matter if the enemy has a fleet comparable in strength to mine,when it has a mix of fighters and corvettes against my frigates and destroyers.And any heavier ships it has quickly get turned against it.

Though,I must admit,I was shocked to see that all but 3 cryo pods were destroyed because the enemy didnt take the bait of small fliers attacking it while the corvettes are capturing them.Plus,it didnt take the bait of attacking nimble fighters while the corvettes are sneaking by to capture the destroyers.I had to divide the fleet first,and then attempt to capture the destroyers.Still,it worked,and I traded only 16 corvettes for 4 destroyers.A great bargain.It also helps you defend against the asteroids in the next mission,because trying to smash those with short range fighters and corvettes leads to you quickly losing your fleet.Long range beams are much more effective.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:06 am

It looks nice and has that crisp Homeworld feel to the models, but we don't really know how well will it play.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:40 pm

Nice strategy game,but poor ai.

Well thats a shame.But he does say it has a solid campaign,and thats what I want from homeworld.So still good,I guess.But I wont jump on it right away.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:03 pm

But I also heard it has no pause, and that would annoy me greatly. I simply do not have the twitch, and don't care about it, to position and monitor my units while working on my base.

Return to “Videogames”