Game Hangouts

Rebel Canuck

Game Hangouts

Postby Rebel Canuck » Sun May 26, 2013 7:47 pm

Over in the gamertag mashup thread someone suggested that we should maybe set up some times to game with each other. I was thinking we should be able to find one night a week (Or more if people are interested I suppose) to play some games!

We can use this thread to plan games/times/systems, and organize any other things that need to happen, like hosting mumble/ventrilo or game servers.

I'm pretty easy to plan around, my evenings and weekends are mostly free. I'm in pacific time, too, so I'm probably a few hours behind everyone else. I'm up for just about any game, too. Left 4 Dead, TF2, whatever people wanna play, if I have it, I'll play it.

If we get a couple of these going and people have fun, maybe we could turn it into a weekly thing, who knows?
Jace911

Re: Game Hangouts

Postby Jace911 » Sun May 26, 2013 9:58 pm

For Steam multiplayer games I'm pretty much limited to Left 4 Dead 2 and Killing Floor, but on the flipside I'm also pretty open with my schedule. I'm also on Pacific time.
Rebel Canuck

Postby Rebel Canuck » Sun May 26, 2013 10:31 pm

Jace911 wrote:For Steam multiplayer games I'm pretty much limited to Left 4 Dead 2 and Killing Floor, but on the flipside I'm also pretty open with my schedule. I'm also on Pacific time.

I was thinking Left 4 Dead 2, or the original Left 4 Dead, or TF2 would be good places to start, I figure that most people who have Steam will have one of those. Then if we do more, we could do other games like Monaco or Magicka. There's actually a free co-op game called Alien Swarm that Valve made, which I have never played but it looks like it could be fun, and ... well, it's free!

So I don't know. In any case, my early vote is for L4D2, but I'm installing TF2 just in case that's what people want to play instead.

Edit: Killing Floor seems to be another one that a lot of people have, might be another choice? I've never tried it, but Steam is telling me that I do own it, so I'd be down to give it a shot.
Last edited by Rebel Canuck on Sun May 26, 2013 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Sun May 26, 2013 10:44 pm

I've got:

Team Fortress 2
Killing Floor
Super Monday Night Combat
The Ship
Moonbase Alpha
Orcs Must Die 2
Planetside 2
MechWarrior Online.
RedSun

Postby RedSun » Sun May 26, 2013 10:48 pm

Something I said on the Internet caused a thing to happen. JUBILATION!Image

But seriously. I'm a TF2 fanatic, so I'm always down to play that, and I'd love to meet up with some twentysided folks for regular play. I own L4D2, but I've never actually played it because the idea of being the only noob on a team of four players is kind of intimidating. Same with Civ 5, though I'd love to give that a go.
Rebel Canuck wrote: There's actually a free co-op game called Alien Swarm that Valve made, which I have never played but it looks like it could be fun, and ... well, it's free!

Also never played that. Really don't play many MP games.. But playing Alien Swarm will net me a TF2 hat!
Jace911

Postby Jace911 » Sun May 26, 2013 10:57 pm

Left 4 Dead 2 isn't terribly difficult on Normal, and even when the Overseer decides to give you the big stick it tends to be more hilarious than frustrating. I'd recommend it.

I'm leery about playing TF2 on anything other than MvM because whenever I play competitive multiplayer my experience tends to be "spawn, take fifteen steps forward, die, repeat" with the occasional kill from blind luck thrown in to get my hopes up and string me along.
Starkos127

Postby Starkos127 » Mon May 27, 2013 5:58 am

I've only got a few games that are multiplayer: Civ V, TF2, and Torchlight 2
Lovecrafter

Postby Lovecrafter » Mon May 27, 2013 9:19 am

My laptop is about a year or two away from retirement, but I own and can run the following multiplayer games: Company of Heroes, Supreme Commander 2, Alien Swarm, Jamestown and Nation Red.

My PS3 is in much better shape, and I own the following: Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, Armored Core 5, Persona 4 Arena, Catherine (has multiplayer), X-Com.
Jexter

Postby Jexter » Mon May 27, 2013 11:37 am

The Twentysided Planetside 2 pseudo-outfit is always looking for new people, and we play pretty often. It's still in the embryo stage, and lacks enough people to really make a full squad. A few extra bullet sponges would go a long way towards making it an effective fighting force.

Other than that, I'd probably be up for the occasional game of Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress 2.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Mon May 27, 2013 7:59 pm

So what we should do is form an MvM team and then find one of those private servers that are still running Wave 666.
Kavonde

Postby Kavonde » Mon May 27, 2013 9:49 pm

I'm in for L4D2 or Planetside 2. My weekends tend to be pretty busy, but until school starts up in two weeks, my weekday evenings are completely free.
zileas7

Postby zileas7 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:03 pm

Sounds like a cool idea to me. I only have Civ V and of course TF2 right now, but I can pick up either or both of the L4D games if this becomes a thing.
Rebel Canuck

Postby Rebel Canuck » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:34 pm

Alright, so I am finally free a bit now, so let's give this idea a little bit of a boot to get the ball rolling again hopefully.

I'm thinking that our first hangout should be this Friday, maybe around 8:30 EST? I tentatively want to suggest L4D2, which is 4 player coop or 8 player versus (versus can be a lot of fun, since you get to actually play as the special infected.)

PM me or post here if you want to put your name into the mix for this. I'm going to get a vent server set up this week and maybe test out streaming if I get a chance. It'd be cool to have something that everyone else can watch while we're playing or check out later, perhaps?

Lemme know what you think, everyone. If that timeslot doesn't work or the game choice doesn't, lemme know, we'll figure something else out.
Kavonde

Postby Kavonde » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:34 pm

Wouldn't be able to make it this Friday, unfortunately. Not a big deal, as I'm sure I'll be available for the next one, but, if it were to move to Saturday, that would be pretty neat.
RedSun

Postby RedSun » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:25 pm

I'm good for Left 4 Dead 2. I've gotten very little experience with the game, but I've been reading up on strategies, and I'll try and get some practice in the next few days so I don't ruin everyone's fun.

I highly suggest everyone looking to participate also try and friend everyone in the thread that they can. SpammyV and Dexter, I'm having a bit of trouble finding you. Lovecrafter, I've searched for "Rhogog" multiple times and come up empty.

BTW, 8:30 EST is 5:30 PST, for those of us on the opposite side of the country.
Last edited by RedSun on Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
modus0

Postby modus0 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:01 pm

I'm up for Left 4 Dead 2 as well.
zileas7

Postby zileas7 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:30 am

Sold. Timing is perfect this week.
Rebel Canuck

Postby Rebel Canuck » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:44 am

RedSun wrote:I'm good for Left 4 Dead 2. I've gotten very little experience with the game, but I've been reading up on strategies, and I'll try and get some practice in the next few days so I don't ruin everyone's fun.

I highly suggest everyone looking to participate also try and friend everyone in the thread that they can. SpammyV and Dexter, I'm having a bit of trouble finding you. Lovecrafter, I've searched for "Rhugog" multiple times and come up empty.

BTW, 8:30 EST is 5:30 PST, for those of us on the opposite side of the country.

Don't feel obligated to practice or anything, this is just for fun. And yeah, I'm actually PST myself, but I tend to talk EST online because many people seem to be out that way.

I'll send out steam invites to everyone who has confirmed so far. :)

Edit, so if we include myself, we have a team of 4, so I guess we're going ahead on Friday one way or another!

Still room for four more if people want to give versus a try! This coming Friday, 5:30 PST 8:30 EST, Left 4 Dead 2! Sign up now, tickets are hot!
Jexter

Postby Jexter » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:49 pm

I'll confirm myself as available for the L4D2 session this Friday as well, upping the number of participants to an awkward 5. Normally, I'd suggest settling the matter by an honorable duel to the death, but it seems some of us live on opposite sides of the country. I guess we'll just have to mail each other sabers and work it out through text messages describing sword movements. Remember, losers are impale themselves through the gut, we're working on the honor system here.

My Steam username is Jexter, but I am not the only one to use the name. I'm the one with the avatar with of a guy in a fancy suit, hat, and sunglasses. It's pretty hard to miss.

Either way, I highly suggest the group installs this mutation pack, in case we grow tired of the normal maps, and want a novel experience. Everything is better with mods.
Rebel Canuck

Postby Rebel Canuck » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:24 pm

Okay, so quick vote before tonight. What's the easiest/best chat client? I'd prefer not to use the in-game because it's really hard to hear over the sound.
zileas7

Postby zileas7 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:55 pm

I just kinda assumed we'd use Ventrillo, seeing as that's what SW uses and it seems to work pretty well. Most of the time, at least.
Jexter

Postby Jexter » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:58 pm

Skype, Ventrillo, or Mumbles would work. Skype is probably the most widely used, but at least it's possible to find the push-to-talk key on Vent. So I vote Ventrillo.
Rebel Canuck

Postby Rebel Canuck » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:31 am

Sorry I'm running a bit late everyone. Going to take a moment to set up a Vent server (unless someone notifies me that they have one ready to go)
Rebel Canuck

Postby Rebel Canuck » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:02 am

Well, thanks everyone! That was a great time, I'm prepared to call our first game night a success! Hooray! :D
Kavonde

Postby Kavonde » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:50 am

Hey, folks! Me, Rebel Canuck, RedSun, and Starkos127 started up a co-op game of Civilization 5 tonight, and everything ran pretty smoothly. I think it might be something to consider for a future hangout, if we wanted to scale things up to a Huge map with the maximum number of players. (Though I worry there might be some connectivity/optimization issues with bigger map sizes.)

And while I'm talking about possible hangout ideas, the Steam Summer Sale is coming up soon, and Grand Theft Auto IV, for all its flaws, has some fantastic multiplayer...

EDIT: Oh! And also, perhaps we should consider this.

Return to “Videogames”