Psst there's a good deal on the internet

John

Re: Psst there's a good deal on the internet

Postby John » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:34 pm

The GOG summer sale is on. There's a whole bunch of stuff on sale, and they'll give you a free copy of Rebel Galaxy with your first purchase.

I'm thinking about some of the SNK fighting games they're offering: Samurai Shodown II, Samurai Shodown V Special, and Last Blade. If I understand correctly they're emulated arcade ROMs rather than proper ports, but at $3 a pop I'm not sure I care.
Charnel Mouse

Postby Charnel Mouse » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:34 pm

The GOG summer sale has some pretty high-percentage markdowns. Also lots of recommendation collections by let's-players and review sites, if that's your bag.
Charnel Mouse

Postby Charnel Mouse » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:39 pm

John wrote:The GOG summer sale is on. There's a whole bunch of stuff on sale, and they'll give you a free copy of Rebel Galaxy with your first purchase.

I'm thinking about some of the SNK fighting games they're offering: Samurai Shodown II, Samurai Shodown V Special, and Last Blade. If I understand correctly they're emulated arcade ROMs rather than proper ports, but at $3 a pop I'm not sure I care.

They look like the SNK emulated collection Super Bunnyhop ran through a while back, so probably.
Twinkle Star Sprites is a pretty decent head-to-head shoot-em-up. I am absolutely not joking.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:50 pm

John wrote:The GOG summer sale is on. There's a whole bunch of stuff on sale, and they'll give you a free copy of Rebel Galaxy with your first purchase.

Thank you. Rebel Galaxy looks like maybe what I need for my next game. I was thinking of Elite Dangerous but 60 bucks is a lot for something this new. Free sounds better. Hopefully Rebel Galaxy has the fiddly controls like with Elite. I understand its maybe not as immersive.
John

Postby John » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:35 pm

Wide And Nerdy wrote:Thank you. Rebel Galaxy looks like maybe what I need for my next game. I was thinking of Elite Dangerous but 60 bucks is a lot for something this new. Free sounds better. Hopefully Rebel Galaxy has the fiddly controls like with Elite. I understand its maybe not as immersive.

I am not a Rebel Galaxy expert, but I think it's a sort of a third-person shooter in space--you control some sort of space battleship rather than a person, of course--and you roam an open galaxy trading and taking missions. My current favorite game in this genre is Endless Sky, which is top-down rather than third person. But Endless Sky is a free, one-man, amateur sort of production so you might well prefer Rebel Galaxy, especially when you ought to be able to snag it (along with, say, some classic of the DOS era) for only $1.50 or so.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:20 am

Endless Sky and Rebel Galaxy are very different beasts. Rebel Galaxy is more Caribbean pirates with a cowboy feel instead of swashbucklers... innnnn spaaaace! I enjoyed it. Endless Sky is both open source and free. If it looks at all interesting, just try it.

So what I'm saying is that you need to find a 3rd game to actually spend money on.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:05 pm

The ArsTechnica GOG summer sale suggestion list is a pretty much "half of all the good indie games you've heard about in the last 5 years" at really decent prices.
https://www.gog.com/promo/20170606_summ ... nica_picks

Her Story for £2.39, Firewatch for £6.79, Super Hexagon for £0.79 and Superhot £10.39 all catch my attention.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:08 pm

Steve C wrote:Endless Sky and Rebel Galaxy are very different beasts. Rebel Galaxy is more Caribbean pirates with a cowboy feel instead of swashbucklers... innnnn spaaaace! I enjoyed it. Endless Sky is both open source and free. If it looks at all interesting, just try it.

So what I'm saying is that you need to find a 3rd game to actually spend money on.

If, like me, your goal is to get Rebel Galaxy at the cheapest price, make sure you see the banner below the checkout confirming you're going to get Rebel Galaxy when you buy whatever game. I bought a game for a buck fifty. Nothing. Went back and bought a three dollar game. So only saved, I think, a buck vs what it would have cost to just buy it. But I did get three games. Can't even remember what the other two are.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:38 am

STEAM SUMMER SALE'S ON, FUCKERS!!

Finally picked up MGSV Ground Zeroes + Phantom Pain + all its add-on crap for twenty bucks, and Stardew Valley, Papers Please, Shadow of Mordor, and LiEat for twenty more, total. I was kinda itching to get Prey, but not for forty bucks. See you this Christmas, maybe, Prey! Also postponed are Slime Rancher and Kerbal Space Program, which are on my "Ten Bucks or Bust" list, and didn't quite make the cut this time around.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:00 am

Don't gotta tell me. My Steam wishlist was 52 this morning. It's 9 tonight.

Okay, so I deleted half of the list as I went through it. Still, picked up around 18 games and 7 expansion packs. The way the sale is structured now, I figure that these prices are the lowest that most of the games I was interested in will be in any subsequent sale (I think the only game I bought for more than $10 was Civ 6, the only game with AAA pricing on the list), so what's the difference between getting them now or later? I don't think I'll be getting any more games for a year or more.

Oh, Rocketeer, one of the games I got was House of the Dying Sun. I think it's like Ace Combat, but in space, with stylized graphics. I've been downloading games all day, so I haven't tried it yet, but you might want to look at it.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:10 am

Ehhh, I'm fresh off a bad experience with "kinda like Ace Combat but in space," so I'll wait for a more solid recommendation.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:24 am

So far I've only bought Telltale's Walking Dead season 3. It's currently 50% off at $12 and I'm not sure if Telltale Games ever really get much lower than that unless they are years in the system.

I have my eye on Project Highrise @ $7 (although the reviews are not great), Thimbleweed Park @ $16 (meh discount) and Stellaris Utopia @ $18. Actually, scratch that last one. It's only a 10% discount so even more meh than Thimbleweed Park.

The other main game I have my eye on is Galactic Civ 3 which is now $20 for the base game + Crusade expansion. Basically the base game is free. But after my experience with Endless Space 2 I am just not sure if I have it in me anymore to learn a brand new 4X game of this magnitude so I am on the fence about it.

Oh and I'll grab the Darkest Dungeon xp as well for $10 even though it's not on sale. Boo!!
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:42 am

Well, I blew my $60 budget by five dollars after adding to the bundle above *sigh* Witcher 3 GOTY, a game that will probably gather dust forever while I play with a cute monster pet that eats lies.
SleepingDragon

Postby SleepingDragon » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:26 pm

Ok, so it's about 50E for me so far. Arkham Knight*, Shadow of Mordor**, Starbound***, Zubmariner DLC for Sunless Sea and a couple of odds and ends including To the Moon****. I kinda hope to end the sale here but not sure my willpower will be strong enough and I might grab something more before it ends... Also looks like I'm postponing Borderlands Pre-Sequel again but my multiplayer guy vetoed it in favour of Starbound.

*I blame Shamoose, his series made me really want to replay City (and even Origins... I know) and I guess if I'll be doing that I might finally get around to finishing the series.
**I hope I'll be able to turn off my nerdrage for this one. Also, I have this nagging suspicion that it might go into this or next Humble Monthly but it's a risk I knew I was taking when signing up for HM and the game is only 4E with all DLC at the moment.
***For multiplayer with a friend who is absolutely crazy about this type of games.
****I'm almost ashamed to admit I didn't play or even own this one until now, it sounds like very much my thing though now I'll have to wait until I'm in the right state of mind for it.
Last edited by SleepingDragon on Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:43 pm

SleepingDragon wrote:**I hope I'll be able to turn off my nerdrage for this one.

Just dont think of it as middle earth and youll have fun.

SleepingDragon wrote:****I'm almost ashamed to admit I didn't play or even own this one until now, it sounds like very much my thing though now I'll have to wait until I'm in the right state of mind for it.

Its a walking simulator before walking simulator became a thing.Its good,if like walking simulators.
SleepingDragon

Postby SleepingDragon » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:01 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:
Its a walking simulator before walking simulator became a thing.Its good,if like walking simulators.

I do. I like a sense of progress, watching numbers grow, buildings something bigger and bigger, accumulating more and more of a resource, collecting things, all of that appeals very strongly to my eeeeever so slightly autistic side and I can really get caught up in it... but ultimately I favour games as storytelling devices (whether inherent or emergent, and admittedly they're not always good stories) so walking simulators are just fine in my book.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:12 pm

I've managed to inoculate myself for this sale, and I've yet to buy anything as a result. I just don't feel like I need to stuff my backlog more, and there isn't anything that particularly stands out so far for me.

It's oddly disappointing, but I guess it might be okay for my wallet.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:29 pm

Oh, so we're doing lists. Alrighty.

Dawn of War: Soulstorm
Dawn of War: Dark Crusade
Gunpoint
Blade Symphony
UnderRail
Space Rangers Bundle: SR Quest & SR HD A War Apart
House of the Dying Sun
Transistor
Karmaflow: The Rock Opera Videogame
There Came an Echo
Microsoft RTS Collection
-Age of Empires II HD w/ Expansions The Forgotten, The African Kingdoms, & Rise of the Rajas
-Age of Mythology EX w/ Expansion Tale of the Dragon
-Rise of Nations
-Halo Wars
Sunless Sea
Hard West
Civilization VI: Deluxe Edition (as an aside, fuck Take-Two for the appallingly naked price gauging on DLC)
Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas
The Magic Circle

All are under $10, except for the Microsoft RTS bundle (which averaged less than $10 per game) and Civ 6. Really felt like I made out here; all of these have been sitting on my wishlist for a long time, some for over 4 years. Several small budget games (I hesitate to describe them as "indie"), all the RTS I need to get through my current bender, and a couple of experimental games I got just because I found something interesting about them. I'll describe those that I don't think are much known:

There Came an Echo bills itself on two things: a high profile voice cast, including "Wil Wheaton, Ashly Burch, Laura Bailey, Yuri Lowenthal, and more!", which I do not, I cannot, give a shit about, and being a squad based RTS controllable by voice command, which is an interesting novelty that I'll give a try with.

Blade Symphony purports to be a super detailed sword based fighting game that I think is multiplayer only. I do not play multiplayer. I play very few fighting games. I do like swords. It was $1.50.

UnderRail is some sort of isometric post-apoc RPG. I don't remember how it got on the list. But I can never have too many isometric RPGs.

Karmaflow: The Rock Opera Videogame is I think a 3d platformer where purportedly the ingame music is influenced by your actions, with the goal of generating a complete and unique rock opera by the game's end.

Hard West is a turn based strategy game taking the modern X-Com's basic system and adding on a bunch of Weird Wild West stuff and abilities.

Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas looks like one of those 3d Zeldas for the DS. Phantom Hourglass and such.
SleepingDragon wrote:****I'm almost ashamed to admit I didn't play or even own [To the Moon] until now, it sounds like very much my thing though now I'll have to wait until I'm in the right state of mind for it.

I've been waiting for the right state of mind for it since *quick check* January 3rd, 2013.
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:44 am

For me, this has been a turn-based kind of sale. Banner Saga, Invisible Inc, and the complete Civ V.
John

Postby John » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:33 am

I wasn't going to buy any new games this summer. I'm trying to reduce my backlog. But I just purchased Portal and Portal 2. My whole family loves The Song, my daughter thinks that the various Portal 2 trailers on Steam are the funniest things ever, and the bundle was less than $3.00. When I mentioned the sale to my wife, she said "I don't even play games, but I would buy that." Yes dear. Games bought.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:53 pm

Since we're on the topic of Steam, has anyone else experienced Steam taking forever to close lately? Used to be that it'd close down like any other program, taking a second or two to clean up after itself. But recently it's been more like 10-20 seconds to quit, which makes me feel that something is seriously wrong.
John

Postby John » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:33 pm

Humanoid wrote:Since we're on the topic of Steam, has anyone else experienced Steam taking forever to close lately? Used to be that it'd close down like any other program, taking a second or two to clean up after itself. But recently it's been more like 10-20 seconds to quit, which makes me feel that something is seriously wrong.

Have you been playing a game with cloud saves enabled?
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:59 pm

Especially if you've been playing Factorio; it seems to have massive cloud saves, I eventually disabled cloud saving for that game because it was being too intrusive.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:09 pm

I'd have to double check, but I don't believe so. Probably a moot point anyway as there's generally a gap of some hours between when I quit the game and when I attempt to close Steam.

Return to “Videogames”