Psst there's a good deal on the internet

lurkey

Re: Psst there's a good deal on the internet

Postby lurkey » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:52 pm

John wrote: The one thing that I really resent about this and similar sales is that they don't tell you how much XP you'd get from either buying a specific game or spending a specific amount.

But they do? At least for ones on the front page. Mouse-over them, and get "+n XP" in the bottom left corner. Say, "Age of Decadence" which I really covet and which is on 50% discount would give 15K XP.
McNutcase

Postby McNutcase » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:31 pm

John wrote:GOG is having another big sale. It's one of those super-gamey sales, where you earn "XP" towards free games by buying non-free games and logging in to the web site frequently.

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I find myself kind of tempted. You need 5000 XP to get the first free game, Expeditions: Conquistador, which I have been mildly coveting for a long time now. I already have 1100 XP because I have a GOG account (1000 XP, apparently) and checked the sale web page today (100 XP per day, to a maximum of 700 XP). Shadowrun Hong Kong is on sale, and I've been meaning to pick that up too. And then there's Steamworld Dig, and Satellite Reign, and who knows what else. They're supposed to be adding new games daily. The one thing that I really resent about this and similar sales is that they don't tell you how much XP you'd get from either buying a specific game or spending a specific amount. I think I understand why, as they'd rather you overspend while trying to unlock the freebies, but I don't like it at all. It's never bothered me quite so much before though. This is the first time I've been tempted by the free games on offer and thus the first time they've been relevant to my decision making.

Uh, when I hover my mouse pointer over a game, it tells me right there how much XP I'd get for buying it. It's roughly 10XP/cent for US customers, some minor fluctuations but generally in line with that. And a 10% bonus if you wash the money via your GOG wallet before spending it.
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:48 pm

If nothing else, for the first 48 hours they're giving away Little Big Adventure 2; which I haven't heard of but has pretty good reviews. (And you can't beat that price...)
John

Postby John » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:03 pm

McNutcase wrote:Uh, when I hover my mouse pointer over a game, it tells me right there how much XP I'd get for buying it.

I stand corrected. Thank you, kindly stranger! And it turns out that buying Hong Kong will be more than enough to get me Conquistadors. There goes the last of my resistance . . .
lurkey

Postby lurkey » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:38 pm

Hey, John. Caved in yet? If not, my Age of Decadence purchase just carried me through 2 freebies, and since I already own Conquistadors, I don't really need that redeem code.
John

Postby John » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:32 pm

I caved. I caved like a spelunker. I caved like a Neanderthal. I caved like those people who dive into the "blue holes" of the Caribbean. Boy, did I ever cave.

Thanks, though.
Galad

Postby Galad » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:10 pm

I hope you make it through Age of Decadence without cheating, unlike me, lurkey >.>
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:25 am

I got all the free stuff - I didn't even mean too. I just wanted to buy Tyranny, because its an Obsidian game and at a pretty good launch price point and I figured I'd rather support GoG than Steam.
McNutcase

Postby McNutcase » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:35 pm

I grabbed a couple games mainly so I could get Dex for free. Liking that.
John

Postby John » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:39 pm

GOG is having yet another sale and is also giving away Neverwinter Nights (the first one, plus various expansions) for free. The original campaign is pretty tedious, but the Shadows of Undrentide and Hordes of the Underdark expansions are both fun.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:15 am

The Batman Telltale series is currently going for $12.50USD at Wingamestore.com

That's 50% cheaper than Steam and it's DRM free.

Can even use the code pcgames5off for a whopping 5% off!
John

Postby John » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:49 pm

It's Steam sale time again. Literally everything on my wish list--which, to be fair, is only six items, half of which are Crusader Kings II DLC--is on sale again.

But I have a couple of factors bolstering my resistance this time. First, I just spent a whole bunch of money on a new PC. Second, I've got a backlog of games that didn't run well--and in some cases just didn't run at all--on the old PC. Who needs new new games when there's about it half a dozen old new games calling my name? Sorry, Satellite Reign. XCOM awaits.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:14 pm

I'm not really up for more PC games at the moment - my biggest struggle is when to buy Tomb Raider 2 for the PS4 - but as I was putting Fossil Echo on my wishlist I was a little sad to find out that Steam is still super slow and crash-y during the sales. Maybe they're having a bumper year again

EDIT: Oh wait, they're probably just being DDOS'd. The world we live in :(
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:32 pm

Some good times over at Humble Bundle:

The "Overwhelmingly Positive Bundle" where every game in the Bundle is reviewed as "overwhelmingly positive" on Steam, seems like a pretty clear win, by it's very nature. It's got VA-11 Hall-A in it's $10 tier which Josh really liked so I'm considering picking it up for that, alone.

And as a rule, I don't do Humble Monthly Bundles, because I don't like gambling with money, and that's what "Mystery Box" deals always feel like. But this month is a rare exception, because the revealed game is XCOM2, and $12 for XCOM2 seems like a pretty awesome deal (I don't think it's previously gone below $25), regardless of what the other titles turn out to be. Especially with Long War 2 announced.
John

Postby John » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:45 pm

Since nobody else has mentioned it, I feel obligated to point out the existence of the GOG Spring Sale. I'm afraid my personal backlog has now expanded to include Mark of the Ninja and Satellite Reign.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:06 am

Chivalry : Medieval Warfare is free PERMANENTLY on steam, but only for a limited time.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/219640/
Jokerman

Postby Jokerman » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:31 pm

I just picked up this https://www.humblebundle.com/thq-nordic-playstation-bundle humble bundle deal on ps4, didn't own any of them so 12 games for $15 (£12.06) it seems a good bargain, i was thinking of paying that for the two Darksiders games anyway...

Although, for any non Americans out there, the codes are region locked, but the games aren't, so you will need to create an american account, redeem the codes, download the games... then you can play them as usual on your own account... its a bother, but eh...
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:33 am

Deponia's a pretty decent point-and-click adventure game, particularly if you find its brand of humor funny. It's got some of the usual "moon logic" puzzles, but it rather works because the main character is established to be crazy, anyway.
Nixitur

Postby Nixitur » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:39 pm

The Humble Bundle Multiplayer bundle is excellent and only available for two more days. For just one dollar, you get Tricky Towers which is fantastic!
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:55 pm

Humble Bundle has a Wild Frontier Bundle set. A couple of games look interesting to me. One is apparently a buggy mess that was abandoned by a somewhat dishonest developer that bit off more than he can chew. I'm seriously thinking of getting just to give it to Rutskarn:

FRONTIERS blends the feel of first-person RPG classics like Daggerfall with the relaxing tempo and simplicity of a point-and-click adventure. Discover ancient mysteries, live off the land and fight deadly creatures, all in a beautiful, massive open world.

(Note: This is an Early Access game. If you don't enjoy the process of playing & improving an unfinished beta, you should probably wait for the final release.)

Features:
Massive open world - go anywhere, any time
Unique relaxing pace and tone
An exploration-focused main quest that spans an entire continent
Simple gameplay - no stats or skill trees to memorize
Live off the land - hunt, trap, fish and cook
Minecraft-style item crafting system
Dozens of skills to discover and learn
A haunting soundtrack
Oculus Rift support
Full mod support‏

And heavily Mixed reviews on Steam!

A buggy mess? Based on Daggerfall? With Oculus Rift support? (sadly non-functional) Subjecting Rutskarn to this sounds like it could be worth a buck in laughs.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:34 am

Saints row 2 is free on gog today.And the rest are heavily disvounted as well.If you dont have 2 yet,go and grab it.Or grab it for someone if you already have it.You have nothing to lose.
John

Postby John » Tue May 16, 2017 7:31 pm

New Humble Indie Bundle. Pay what you want gets you Ziggurat, Windward, and Steamworld Heist. Pay more than the average gets you Kentucky Route Zero, Beholder, Goat Simulator, and possibly more games to be revealed later. Pay more than $13 and you also get Owlboy. I've been trying to resist new game purchases for the sake of working on my backlog, but I don't know if I can resist Steamworld Heist for metaphorical peanuts.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Tue May 16, 2017 9:59 pm

I've played Windward. It's ok. It's good for an afternoon in a play-it-and-forget-it kind of way.
JadedDM

Postby JadedDM » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:00 pm

Wow, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas and Oblivion are now all on GOG, completely DRM free. They are $20 each, but are currently on sale for $10 each until June 6th.

Return to “Videogames”