Psst there's a good deal on the internet

Supahewok

Re: Psst there's a good deal on the internet

Postby Supahewok » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:42 pm

Gotta say, there's a remarkable feeling of Zen from being broke. Can't overbuy on sales, cuz I ain't got nothing to buy with! A feeling of smug superiority as others fret over the state of their wallets during the Games Sales Apocalypse of Summer. My wallet's already empty. Hell, I don't even have a wallet! Sold it, along with my socks, to get a few bucks for food.

This feeling will keep me warm long after I ravenously consume my day's allotment of ramen. Or maybe that's the Texas sun.

(This message brought to you by our partners Mild Hyperbole, Vacuous Posts, and I-Haven't-Forgotten-About-The-Retrospective-But-Sometimes-Life-Is-A-Pain-To-Live-With)
Sudanna

Postby Sudanna » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:11 am

saaaaaaaaaame
lurkey

Postby lurkey » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:35 am

Bloody bastards discounted ALL games on my wishlist. They totally doing this deliberately, just to piss me off. :[
Jokerman

Postby Jokerman » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:55 pm

Not sure anyone here will care... but Battlefield Hardline has a pretty crazy discount on psn, £4, got it for the single player...at £4 i can't go wrong, and i have been curious since the spoiler warning episodes.
John

Postby John » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:05 pm

It's Steam Sale time. Every single thing on my (admittedly not all that large) wish list is on sale. Valve, you fiends, what are you trying to do to me?
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:43 pm

This is why I'm glad I use my wishlist as more of a "would be nice to get to eventually" list, rather than "I want these!"

I have seriously too many things in my backlog right now. :(

And I still ended up picking up Grandia II already...
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:16 pm

Its odd. For the first time I have no desire to buy anything. I went through the discovery queue a couple of times, and many of these are probably good games but I don't know if I'm patient enough to sit through an RPGMaker games flaws anymore.

And I do have a lot of games I want to be playing right now that I own, including FFX and FFX-2 which are going to take forever, so maybe thats it when combined with a desire to play games on the PS4 instead of the cruddy laptop.

I might end up breaking down and buying something despite everything though.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:34 pm

Just Cause 3 is probably at the top of my list. I want to try that tether and the Jetpack. Currently half off but the DLC is expensive so I'm going to wait and see if maybe it drops a bit.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:37 pm

The only two games I'd been waiting on were Dark Souls III and DOOM. But DS3 is still a bit high, so I might end up waiting until Winter. And the DOOM demo's failure to launch properly has left me wary of spending on the game.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:08 pm

Thomas wrote:Its odd. For the first time I have no desire to buy anything. I went through the discovery queue a couple of times, and many of these are probably good games but I don't know if I'm patient enough to sit through an RPGMaker games flaws anymore.

RPGMaker games sit in a weird spot for me, because many of the ones I get recommended have pretty high reviews which suggests they're at least decent games, if not really good.

...Except most of them I see obvious parts/graphics from the base RTP (usually window and/or battle screen graphics) and it turns me off a bit, since I've dealt with the editor for many MANY hours and it looks... almost lazy. I know that probably shouldn't reflect on the game's quality much (since things like story and gameplay structure should qualify more), but to me those aspects feel like the EASIEST to improve/change. What does that say about the more difficult aspects, such as writing?

I'd probably try some of them anyways (because some of them can be really really good), but I just don't have time to spare for something that looks iffy to me at all, regardless of the reason.

It's why I'm hoping, if I EVER get my own project finished, that it won't really look like an RPGMaker game. It's really just a matter of including enough custom graphics and tweaking with scripts (the engine is INCREDIBLY powerful provided you know how to mess with it). I'm just stuck on all the plot/dialog, which I'm way too much of a perfectionist about.
John

Postby John » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:33 pm

Trix2000 wrote:This is why I'm glad I use my wishlist as more of a "would be nice to get to eventually" list, rather than "I want these!"

I have seriously too many things in my backlog right now. :(

And I still ended up picking up Grandia II already...

I pruned my wish list not too long ago so that it mostly contains games that I really do want rather than games in which I am merely interested. Nevertheless, think I'll be able to resist for the most part. I bought a bunch of games in the recent HumbleBundle and GOG sales so I am temporarily sated. I haven't finished Shadowrun Dragonfall yet, I haven't even started Transistor, and I could easily sink many dozens more hours into vanilla Crusader Kings 2. The only game that's seriously tempting me at the moment is Expeditions: Conquistador, since that rarely goes on sale.
Narratorway

Postby Narratorway » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:42 pm

Honestly, y'know what I really like about the Steam Sales?

The new swath of youtube videos it creates.
Scerro

Postby Scerro » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:04 pm

The real deals (>$10) games seem to be light this year. Plus there's nothing I really want.

I'll probably not buy anything just to say I didn't buy anything, although there are a couple of things I'd consider.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:28 am

Maybe the developers have read the Steam Spy report that pointed out developers aren't actually making money from the 'real deals'. They reduce their prices so low that it's impossible for volume to make up for the reduction in margin. If a game would have sold 10,000 at 25% off, then you'd need to sell 30,000 games at 75% off just to make the same amount. And the Steam Spy sales figures suggested that 75% off games did not sell 3x better those at 25%.

Maybe for the really obscure games it helps get the word out that they exist and are good.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:23 am

Doom being at 40% off already kind-of surprised me. I might have to pick it up.
Narratorway

Postby Narratorway » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:40 am

Looking at that GTAV for $35 like

grahams_xwing

Postby grahams_xwing » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:50 am

Scerro wrote:I'll probably not buy anything just to say I didn't buy anything.

They should make it so that if you have received a badge from the last 2 or 3 steam sales you can earn a badge for this one by not buying anything...

So far so good for me, despite 65% of my lengthy wishlist being reduced somehow (Nearly caved on Firewatch)
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:16 pm

Well, I bit the bullet and bought DOOM.

Monitor this space closely for my reaction when it fails to run and I have to refund it.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:14 pm

The Rocketeer wrote:Well, I bit the bullet and bought DOOM.

Monitor this space closely for my reaction when it fails to run and I have to refund it.

I bought DOOM like a month ago without checking to see if my card had enough VRAM for it (I mean c'mon, if I could run the Witcher 3 pretty well on Low surely I could run an FPS, riiight?). Couldn't return it cuz I bought it as a CD key. So hey, even if it doesn't run, feel good that you can get a refund unlike that chump Supahewok!
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:03 am

Humble PC & Android Bundle 14 has a completely free game up right now. "SPACECOM" which looks kinda cool. I don't know how long the free game lasts. Go here to claim it:

https://www.humblebundle.com/pc-android-14-bundle
John

Postby John » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:39 am

There's a new Humble Indie Bundle out. I'll probably get it just for GalakZ, which is in the pay what you want tier. There's a bunch of other stuff, too, including Beginner's Guide--also in the pay what you want tier--and Nuclear Throne--for which you will have to fork over some actual cash.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:35 pm

Currently,a bunch of old good ea games are on sale on gog.Amongst them:
Alpha centauri
Both dungeon keepers
Theme park and theme hospital
Jade empire
Sim city 4
and a bunch more.Definitely worth all the moneys.Hurry up,it lasts only a day and a half more.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:43 am

Sentinels of the Multiverse is on sale right now for a buck. It is really well done cooperative card battle game with a comic superhero theme. Emphasis both on the "comic" and the "superhero". I've played it many times in the real world. The digital version is great to play with a group or solo. It is definitely worth it.
John

Postby John » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:17 pm

So there's a new Humble Indie Bundle.

The pay-what-you-want tier has Technobabylon, Odallus, and Chroma Squad. Technobablyon is a point-'n'-click adventure by Wadjet Eye. I don't know anything about this particular game but I've heard 'round the internet that Wadjet Eye is a pretty good at this kind of thing. Odallus is a Castlevania clone, by which I mean that looks just like Castelvania on the NES (only slightly uglier). Then there's Chroma Squad, which is a turn-based tactical combat game . . . featuring actors filming a Power Rangers-like show. It got a fairly positive review from Rock, Paper, Shotgun. I seem to recall that Daemian liked it, too. As I am a sucker for turn-based tactics, I will probably go ahead and grab it.

The pay-more-than-the-average tier includes Spaera, which appears to be some sort of competitive match-3 game, Westerado, which is an open-world, Old West, murder mystery of some sort, and Assault Android Cactus, which is a 3D twin-stick shooter. I think Westerado is supposed to be good, but I don't know anything about the other two games. If you pay more than $12, you get Unbox, which is a 3D platformer in which you appear to play as a package attempting to deliver itself.
John

Postby John » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:37 pm

GOG is having another big sale. It's one of those super-gamey sales, where you earn "XP" towards free games by buying non-free games and logging in to the web site frequently.

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I find myself kind of tempted. You need 5000 XP to get the first free game, Expeditions: Conquistador, which I have been mildly coveting for a long time now. I already have 1100 XP because I have a GOG account (1000 XP, apparently) and checked the sale web page today (100 XP per day, to a maximum of 700 XP). Shadowrun Hong Kong is on sale, and I've been meaning to pick that up too. And then there's Steamworld Dig, and Satellite Reign, and who knows what else. They're supposed to be adding new games daily. The one thing that I really resent about this and similar sales is that they don't tell you how much XP you'd get from either buying a specific game or spending a specific amount. I think I understand why, as they'd rather you overspend while trying to unlock the freebies, but I don't like it at all. It's never bothered me quite so much before though. This is the first time I've been tempted by the free games on offer and thus the first time they've been relevant to my decision making.

Return to “Videogames”