Psst there's a good deal on the internet

Retsam

Re: Psst there's a good deal on the internet

Postby Retsam » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:07 pm

GOG is doing another one of those insomnia sales where the game on sale changes every couple minutes. I'm not much of a fan of the format: I think Steam was smart to get rid of flash sales and their ilk. But this sale does have Witcher III half off, if you can catch it.

So I wrote a little nodeJS script that polls the sale and pops a desktop notification whenever a new title goes on sale. If anyone else wants to use it, it should be fairly painless to get running. (You might have to fiddle with it if you want accurate price reporting for a region other than USA... but the title and percentage should be accurate, at least)

I'm hoping maybe Stardew Valley will be on sale, (I don't think Witcher III is worth $25 to me right now) but no sign of it yet.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:45 pm

Thanks for the script, in general as far as Insomnia sales go though, I've decided I'd rather sleep than buy another game I won't play
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:00 am

Empire earth,pirates and avp are on gog now all for under 2 euros.WARNING:Do not buy ee2 and ee3,even if you want this whole set.Avoid like the plague they are.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:59 am

Daemian Lucifer wrote:Empire earth,pirates and avp are on gog now all for under 2 euros.WARNING:Do not buy ee2 and ee3,even if you want this whole set.Avoid like the plague they are.

I looooved Empire Earth. Which made EE2 such a massive disappointment in comparison (even moreso with how much money it was to buy for me at the time it came out). What's worse is that they had some interesting ideas that I really wanted to try (like territory control), but they screwed up so bad on execution and mechanics that it just... didn't work at all.

...Wait, they made EE3? *Looks at screenshots* Oh... I'm already feeling like I'm glad I didn't notice. That UI looks hideous...
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:27 pm

Trix2000 wrote:...Wait, they made EE3? *Looks at screenshots* Oh... I'm already feeling like I'm glad I didn't notice. That UI looks hideous...

Its even worse than that.And,like with ee2,its disappointing because they introduce weather as an interesting mechanic,but the rest of it....uugh!
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:35 pm

Guess I'll just end up picking up EE1 again and playing it forever... although, I MIGHT still have my old disk lying around somewhere.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:31 am

I cannot put up with Empire Earth's abomination of a minimap for very long.
It's got a resolution of about sixteen pixels, it is the worst map I have ever seen.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:39 pm

Yes but it has a robo Optimus Stalin that you fight through timetravel.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:27 pm

4th Dimension wrote:Yes but it has a robo Optimus Stalin that you fight through timetravel.

But first you get to use it to conquer the world.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:03 am

Ringwraith wrote:I cannot put up with Empire Earth's abomination of a minimap for very long.
It's got a resolution of about sixteen pixels, it is the worst map I have ever seen.

Completely and totally agreed. It's basically useless.

...Despite that, I played several hours of it already, so it's still got that going for it. I'm having a bit of fun with it, but I can really feel some of the old design now.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:12 am

Daemian Lucifer wrote:
4th Dimension wrote:Yes but it has a robo Optimus Stalin that you fight through timetravel.

But first you get to use it to conquer the world.

And that conquest for me is the highlight of the game since not often do you see such scenario with that country. For me the "betrayal" was tacked on bullshit, but to each their own I guess.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:58 am

For 19 moneys you gog allows you to buy the three enhanced editions of seminal rpgs:Baldurs gates and icewind dale.Havent played icewind dale enhanced edition,but the original was good.Not as good as bg2,and somewhat lacking in story,but it allows you to completely build all 6 companions from 0,which is great.Graphically however,all three of those games are still beautiful,coming from the days when artistry was more important than stuffing MOAR PIXULZ into your graphics.Definitely worth all the moneys.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:31 pm

Well, also because the backgrounds were hand-drawn.
They look lovely because they're basically just artwork.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:16 am

Ringwraith wrote:Well, also because the backgrounds were hand-drawn.

You can still get beautiful 3d art in modern games.I mean,look at what pixar animators are able to create.If you were to hire them to do the models and background for your game,it would be just as stunning as old 2d stuff.But thats not what we see in most modern games.We see pushing for "realism",muted colors,crappy filters,....Though,to be fair,the situation has improved in the past couple of years.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:06 am

Well, also the need for reusable assets.
You can't really copy-paste those backgrounds.

It's why Pillars of Eternity's similarly-hand-crafted backgrounds look so good.
And took forever to make.
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:12 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:
Ringwraith wrote:Well, also because the backgrounds were hand-drawn.

You can still get beautiful 3d art in modern games.I mean,look at what pixar animators are able to create.If you were to hire them to do the models and background for your game,it would be just as stunning as old 2d stuff.But thats not what we see in most modern games.We see pushing for "realism",muted colors,crappy filters,....Though,to be fair,the situation has improved in the past couple of years.

Sure it's theoretically possible for 3D to look as good as 2D, but it's got to be at least an order of magnitude more expensive. Pixar and Disney are able to do what it does because 1) they have to have a massive budget, 2) they're making movies, not games. A game with comparable art to a movie is probably another order of magnitude more expensive: movies have fixed content, a fixed (relatively short) length, and are able to prerender everything; a modern animated movie takes somewhere around 10 hours to render a single frame.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:13 pm

With the exception of Zootopia (which I haven't seen but have heard is beautiful), I actually think games have achieved a higher level of 3D beauty than Pixar or Disney films. Graphically Up and Frozen and Tangled might achieve a lot, but I think their art style is much more in service to the story than straight beautiful.

It might be because the experience of running around in a world like Assassins Creed or Uncharted engenders a lot more appreciation for the art of its places than seeing a film take place in them.

There have been 3D films which have blown me away visually - some of the Kung Fu Panda films, maybe the Jellyfish in Finding Nemo - but I think it's pretty rare. I didn't come out of Inside Out thinking that I'd seen something that was worth attractive for it's visuals. Whereas in games, there's always been things like Okami, or even just the mix of 3D and prerendered backgrounds in FFX.

Pixar and Disney definitely haven't produced anything more beautiful than some of Disney's 2d work.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:53 pm

Thomas wrote:With the exception of Zootopia (which I haven't seen but have heard is beautiful), I actually think games have achieved a higher level of 3D beauty than Pixar or Disney films. Graphically Up and Frozen and Tangled might achieve a lot, but I think their art style is much more in service to the story than straight beautiful.

It might be because the experience of running around in a world like Assassins Creed or Uncharted engenders a lot more appreciation for the art of its places than seeing a film take place in them.

There have been 3D films which have blown me away visually - some of the Kung Fu Panda films, maybe the Jellyfish in Finding Nemo - but I think it's pretty rare. I didn't come out of Inside Out thinking that I'd seen something that was worth attractive for it's visuals. Whereas in games, there's always been things like Okami, or even just the mix of 3D and prerendered backgrounds in FFX.

Pixar and Disney definitely haven't produced anything more beautiful than some of Disney's 2d work.

There might be something to be said for our interaction with game worlds being a key part of that, since it's maybe a bit more awe-inspiring to see a great vista when we are actually 'there' to see it. Perhaps the same could be said for any sort of visual component.

Also I heard Zootopia had some pretty crazy awesome rendering technology, particularly for the characters themselves. Would help explain why the movie looks so incredible (not to ignore the artists' skill, of course).
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sun May 08, 2016 5:23 pm

You probably have all you want from these guys,but anyway,devolver digital has a sale on all their stuff on steam.This includes talos principle for 10 bucks,hotline miamis combo for 5 bucks and BROFORCE for 6 bucks.
John

Postby John » Tue May 10, 2016 9:58 pm

It is a great and terrible shame that the Capcom Super Turbo HD Remix Bundle does not include the game which very obviously inspired its name.* Instead, all you get is a bunch of Resident Evil, Devil May Cry and other such games about which I know little and care not at all. Alas, alack.

* Note: Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix is a downloadable title for XBox Live and PSN. There's no PC version for HumbleBundle to sell. Capcom escapes on a technicality . . . this time.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Tue May 10, 2016 10:36 pm

Also Remember Me!

Remember Me and DmC: Devil May Cry might just be enough to lure me in. If they had the DMC3 remaster I'd take it in a snap (and then try to give away a bunch of Resident Evil games I don't care about I guess?). Thanks for drawing my attention to it. I'll cross my fingers for the games to come (they've tended not to be very good in recent times though)

EDIT: If you're quick theres a Build Your Own Bundle Humble Store sale with Valkyria Chronicles, Shogun 2 and Rome 2 for £14. You could also switch in Attilla or Dawn of War or Company of Heroes 2.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:21 pm

Gog is selling homeworld remastered for 15 moneys,and classic xcom pack for 7 moneys!Day of the tentacle for 9 moneys and bullfrog pack for 12 moneys?!!!

Shit!Ill have to block their website before I buy something I already own.
McNutcase

Postby McNutcase » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:21 pm

Also System Shock for few moneys, Total Annihilation likewise, and Psychonauts.

When I get back from the doctor, I'm going to check my PayPal balance and probably buy some stuff.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:35 pm

System Shock 2 is free as part of a stress test of their Galaxy servers. Log into Galaxy, go to the sale, scroll down a li'l bit, pick up the game.
John

Postby John » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:31 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:Gog is selling homeworld remastered for 15 moneys,and classic xcom pack for 7 moneys!Day of the tentacle for 9 moneys and bullfrog pack for 12 moneys?!!!

Shit!Ill have to block their website before I buy something I already own.

I should mention that this is just Day 1 of the GOG Summer Sale. If past sales are any indication, there will be more games to come. I myself am probably going to fail to resist purchasing Transistor and Long Live the Queen, both of which are currently going for under $5.

I have weakness. A weakness . . . for cheapness.

Return to “Videogames”