Psst there's a good deal on the internet

Daemian Lucifer

Re: Psst there's a good deal on the internet

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:45 pm

Thomas wrote:Shamus played Dreamfall The Longest Journey a long time ago and it was something he was raving about on his blog and then he got to the end and now he hates the game enough that he wouldn't think of touching Dreamfall Chapters.

If I remember correctly,he hates it because it ended on a cliffhanger that never got resolved.If someone hasnt touched any of it by now,and can enjoy it as a completed work,they would easily get over that gripe.
Galad

Postby Galad » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:21 pm

Thomas wrote:
Wide And Nerdy wrote:Well, Rise of the Tomb Raider has one of the better Pre Order Bonuses I've seen: Tomb Raider 2013. Now that's an interesting idea. Let people try the previous game while they're waiting. Of course you can just get Tomb Raider 2013 for 20 bucks and last week you could have probably gotten it for 10 (I didn't check, I already have it).

On the other hand, does anybody put down 60 bucks to preorder the latest game in a franchise when they've never played the previous games? I wonder if they think people will gift out the free copy they get because they already have it and thus fans can market the new game to friends by giving them the old game.

I put down £20-30 pounds on the Dreamfall Chapters kickstarter without having played either of the first two games :p I can't remember if I bought the version that came with free copies of those games or waited for a sale on them.

It was a pretty stupid thing to do, but luckily I was justly punished by finding out they're some of my favourite games of all time*.

*Well Dreamfall The Longest Journey. The Longest Journey singular was 'great for an old adventure game'

Back in the summer, I preordered Armikrog, a claymation (read: animated world made of clay) adventure game, on GoG. I don't normally like adventure games, but the claymation part sounded very interesting and I'd been in one of those "I wanna support GoG" moods that appear every 2-3 months or so. To this day I've progressed to less than 5% of the (short) story it has :P At least I can say in my defense that I've preordered less than 5 games in total, and one of these has been Witcher 3, which was well worth the money.
McNutcase

Postby McNutcase » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:55 pm

Bionic Dues is currently free on the Humble Store.
McNutcase

Postby McNutcase » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:59 pm

New On The House from EA: Need for Speed: Most Wanted.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:42 pm

The Not As Good As The Real Need for Speed: Most Wanted: Need for Speed: Most Wanted I assume?

It's the perfect sort of free game for me =D I'm curious as to whats its like, but my nostalgia for the original was always too strong to put money down on it
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:56 pm

I had to look that up because it made no sense to me. :P I didn't even know there'd been a dozen NFS games already, let alone two dozen.

I have Need for Speed Special Edition and remember playing the third game, but that's it.
McNutcase

Postby McNutcase » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:05 am

It's all right. Although my only other experience with NFS was the original on 3DO, and it's a big step up from that. Really, once I found the Ford GT and the Caterham, it was all over bar the smacking into a bridge abutment sideways at three figures because while I COULD flip the car nicely into oversteer and catch it just right, there was just no way I could gain enough grip to actually avoid the bridge.

Car physics are pretty good, they handle differently depending on setup (so the Ford GT is kind of lairy and oversteery, the various rally cars will powerslide very readily, the Mercedes is incredibly controlled, and the Porsche will swap ends if you glance at the handbrake thanks to the rear-mounted engine) and it all behaves about how I'd expect, bar the dumb cop AI.

I wouldn't drop money on it, but for a free hoonage sim it's bloody stellar.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:58 pm

The new Steam sale is a lot of fun, and it brings a lot of attention to games off the beaten track. It's going to be hard to resist buying a handful of games (Hands of Fate, Her Story, Cities: Skylines, Football Manage). Congratulations Valve, I approve :)
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:36 pm

I bought Invisible Inc. due to a currently-running video series and selling a CSGO case for a preposterous amount of money.
So, um. Yay?
Send help.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:40 am

How can ea regain the trust with its customers?Gog has an answer to that.Now if only origin would follow suit.

Those are some great games in there.Theme park,jade empire,sim city 4,wing commanders,ultimas,...And all under a buck.

Have I said recently that gog is great?No?Well gog is great!
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:00 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:And all under a buck.

They come up as $2.39-$7.99 for me. With stuff like Jade Empire being $5.99.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:25 pm

It's less if you buy all of them/complete your collection of them on GoG.
You can also change the currency back to USD if you're getting a raw deal in yours.
krellen

Postby krellen » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:29 am

And by "less", what it means is they will literally pay you to buy all the games if you're already buying half of them. I put all but one in my cart and got a price of $97; put the last one in my cart and that dropped to $37.
McNutcase

Postby McNutcase » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:52 pm

Sign up for an email list and you can pick up Binary Domain, Condemned: Criminal Origins, and Streets of Rage II on Steam. http://www.makewarnotlove.com/results.php
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:58 am

There's a little promo going on where if you buy an AMD product you can redeem one free game. Buuuuut, the system is allowing any previously purchased product to redeem as well, even those bought years ago, as long as they're in the inclusions list (https://www.amd4u.com/amdgamepromo/file ... omo_TC.pdf). Yes, amd4u.com is a legit AMD site, one they've used for promotions for years.

https://www.amd4u.com/amdgamepromo/
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:36 am

Humanoid wrote:the system is allowing any previously purchased product to redeem as well,

I have no idea what you are trying to say here.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:39 am

The conditions say you need to buy the eligible products from 15 Feb to 31 Dec this year, but in reality they can't and don't check your purchase date, so as long as you already own one of the listed products, you're eligible.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:55 pm

so as long as you already own one of the listed products, you're eligible... for ______??.

I understand the first part. It is the second part I don't get. It seems that you've been saying, "As long as you own X, you can get X for free!" I don't understand the benefit to that. Are you saying you can get a refund for something you've already purchased?
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:41 pm

"you can get [a game] for free"?
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:00 pm

Uh, pretty sure Humanoid means that so long as you own one of the AMD products that are part of the promotion, no matter when you purchased it, you can get a free game. Seems pretty clear to me.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:19 am

Ahhh ok.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:31 am

This is one of the good Humble Bundle's again, there's

Doorkickers - Which is like a version of those old super-hard tactical PC shooters, except focusing just on the planning phase. Super Bunnyhop review
Never Alone - The platformer about inuit(?) culture that did the rounds everywhere
Trine 3 - The sequel to Trine 2 and Trine 1
Else.Heartbreak() - This is one of the games I've been wanting to play for the longest time
Sunless Sea - Shame our LP never finished :(

Else.Heartbreak and Sunless Sea are in the most expensive bracket (if you can call $8 expensive), but they'd be worth that individually, never mind as part of a bundle of other great games. And they've still got some games to announce!
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:08 pm

I feel like the Humble Bundle went through a long period of humdrum, but something seems to have changed that lately and it's come out swinging again.

This fortnight's has Shadowrun Dragongall, Shadowrun Chronicles - Boston Lockdown, Magicka 2, Dreamfall Chapters(!), and Grey Goo which was the weird and innovate RTS where you could create giant robots or play a giant ball of goo that rolls around eating things.

I mean Shadowrun, Dreamfall Chapters and Grey Goo aren't really 'indie' releases in the same way your $20 quirky-platformer is. They're all competing close to that Telltale, Wasteland 2 kind of level, so I'm surprised you can get all of them for $12. Dreamfall Chapters isn't even finished releasing episodes yet!
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:46 pm

Probably should mention as they announced Trails in the Sky the Third for next year the other day, the first two Trails in the Sky games are on sale pretty much everywhere (Steam or GoG, take your pick) for the week.
First one's good and well-written (mostly), but if you do like any of it, this does mean you'll end buying the second. Sort of required.

Return to “Videogames”