Re: Psst there's a good deal on the internet

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:07 am

krellen wrote:Isn't Rocket League Free?

Not on steam.Its 20 moneys there.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:47 am

'Free'.
If you pay for PS+, it was on last month's PS+ Instant Game Collection, so if you claimed it then, you can play as long as you have active PS+ going.

It is cross-play though with the PC version.
Galad

Postby Galad » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:28 am

A-and of course, PCMR has a competition going on for it.

I might just suck it up and buy it full price, and then hope I don't experience problems with connectivity like some people have >.>
McNutcase

Postby McNutcase » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:36 am

On Steam, today only: Amnesia: The Dark Descent is free. Go grab it if you have a Steam account.

On Origin, for the next I don't know how long: Command and Conquer Red Alert 2, including Yuri's Revenge.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:50 pm

Sims 4 Digital Deluxe Upgrade is free on Origin, use promo code SIMSUPGRADE.

https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/buy/ ... xe-upgrade
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:55 pm

This is probably a stupid question, but what is the 'Exploration Sale' currently going on with Steam? There's still going to be a Winter Sale in December, right? Is there any reason to pick anything up now, rather than wait for the Winter Sale?
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:09 pm

It's the Steam Autumn sale, there'll be a Winter sale at Christmas. I've never watched to see what the difference between the sales are so I don't know if people are more likely to drop their prices for Christmas. The logic of how and when to discount your game is very difficult and I could see arguments for and against discounting more heavily for Christmas. Steam Spy did a steam sale analysis this year and noted that lots of developers discount their games so heavily that the higher sales volume doesn't actually make up for the lower prices. It's the moderate discounts that were most effective purely profit wise. But if everyone goes moderate then you high discount seems more exceptional and should drive more sales...
McNutcase

Postby McNutcase » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:54 pm

Pick stuff up if you're excited about it. That's what I did. Things I'll recommend in the current sale: Xenonauts, at 50% off, the Banner Saga (and get the deluxe version, you want the soundtrack) at 75% off, the Shadowrun bundle for a mere $15...
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:08 pm

Only thing I know about the coming sales is that they're not doing daily deals anymore, so buy away if you see something at a good price.

Unfortunately for me, the one game I'm interested in picking up (Undertale) is NOT on sale for some reason. EDIT: And wouldn't you know it, my brother ends up gifting it to me anyways.
Last edited by Trix2000 on Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:28 pm

It came out recently and it's selling well. I wouldn't be completely surprised if they're doing a Democracy 3/Taylor Swif "make the product feel valuable" thing either. It might drop for Christmas hopefully

For the PS4 users, the black friday sales are pretty good - they're beating the second hand physical discs on amazon at the moment. Dragon Age Inquisition is £15, Journey is £6 and Rocket League is £10. Also I think inFamous: Second Son is pretty cheap.

I both broke my resolution of buying games I don't need right now and gave up playing the Witcher 3 so I could buy and play DA:I. Sales :( =D

Origin has DA:I for £11, Mass Effect 1 for £1.70, the whole trilogy for £15, Mirrors Edge for £2.10, the fake Need for Speed Most Wanted for £2 and Sims 4 for £20 which are all good deals. The client is running terribly under the server load though, which is pretty bad, they've had years to work out what their peak server loads are going to be. I guess Steam sucked a long long time at that but they should have learned Steams lessons instead of learning them themselves afresh.

Incidentally, Titanfall is £7.50 and it's normal retail price is only £15. It came out just last year. That's cheaper than CoD: Modern Warfare - eight Call of Duty's ago.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:40 pm

That is because Titanfall's player numbers bombed shortly after the launch.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:19 pm

Until the 29th, if you don't mind making an account for the Square Enix Online Store, you can get Hitman: Silent Assassin for free by going to the Square Enix store, adding it to your cart, and entering FreeSilentAssassin at checkout. Link here.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:55 pm

Thanks! Also if the few Brits around here try it, there's no UK in that Square Enix account creation options right?
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:40 pm

Spacechem is available for just 1 buck on steam.So if you want to lose months(literally)solving chemistry puzzles,BUY THIS.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:35 am

For just 12 bucks you can get all of the kings bounty remakes.Legends,armored princess+expansions,warriors of the north+expansion and dark side.A very good deal for anyone who likes turn based fantasy combat.Its an awesome game.
McNutcase

Postby McNutcase » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:51 pm

If you already have an Origin account, you probably want to log in and grab the FREE copy of Jade Empire they'll give you. If you don't have the account, it's up to you to decide whether it's worth making one.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:28 pm

Giants:citizen kabuto is free on gog.You should definitely get it,if for no other reason but to see how a good game does 3rd person combat that allows you to build a base.
McNutcase

Postby McNutcase » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:15 am

Worms Forts: Under Siege is free on gog right now.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:15 pm

The Last Remnant, Life is Strange Episode One, and Murdered Soul Suspect are all in the $1 bracket of the latest Humble Bundle
https://www.humblebundle.com/
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:40 am

Well, Rise of the Tomb Raider has one of the better Pre Order Bonuses I've seen: Tomb Raider 2013. Now that's an interesting idea. Let people try the previous game while they're waiting. Of course you can just get Tomb Raider 2013 for 20 bucks and last week you could have probably gotten it for 10 (I didn't check, I already have it).

On the other hand, does anybody put down 60 bucks to preorder the latest game in a franchise when they've never played the previous games? I wonder if they think people will gift out the free copy they get because they already have it and thus fans can market the new game to friends by giving them the old game.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:08 am

Yeah, it's been in multiple Humble Bundles and Square Enix surprise holiday bundles. Even as early as Christmas 2013, i.e. the year of its release, I got it in a pack of four Squeenix games for $9AUD.

...not as frequently bundled as Hitman Absolution, mind you, but the frequency of repeats in these bundles is pretty reflective of how shallow their lineup is.

EDIT: Lowest price it's been standalone is $3 according to isthereanydeal.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:58 pm

Wide And Nerdy wrote:Well, Rise of the Tomb Raider has one of the better Pre Order Bonuses I've seen: Tomb Raider 2013. Now that's an interesting idea. Let people try the previous game while they're waiting. Of course you can just get Tomb Raider 2013 for 20 bucks and last week you could have probably gotten it for 10 (I didn't check, I already have it).

On the other hand, does anybody put down 60 bucks to preorder the latest game in a franchise when they've never played the previous games? I wonder if they think people will gift out the free copy they get because they already have it and thus fans can market the new game to friends by giving them the old game.

I put down £20-30 pounds on the Dreamfall Chapters kickstarter without having played either of the first two games :p I can't remember if I bought the version that came with free copies of those games or waited for a sale on them.

It was a pretty stupid thing to do, but luckily I was justly punished by finding out they're some of my favourite games of all time*.

*Well Dreamfall The Longest Journey. The Longest Journey singular was 'great for an old adventure game'
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:59 pm

Thomas wrote:
Wide And Nerdy wrote:Well, Rise of the Tomb Raider has one of the better Pre Order Bonuses I've seen: Tomb Raider 2013. Now that's an interesting idea. Let people try the previous game while they're waiting. Of course you can just get Tomb Raider 2013 for 20 bucks and last week you could have probably gotten it for 10 (I didn't check, I already have it).

I put down £20-30 pounds on the Dreamfall Chapters kickstarter without having played either of the first two games :p I can't remember if I bought the version that came with free copies of those games or waited for a sale on them.

It was a pretty stupid thing to do, but luckily I was justly punished by finding out they're some of my favourite games of all time*.

*Well Dreamfall The Longest Journey. The Longest Journey singular was 'great for an old adventure game'

Thats different. You're doing that so the game can exist.* And I applaud you for it.

That game is still on my wishlist. If I end up enjoying it, I'll know who to thank.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:44 pm

Wide And Nerdy wrote:Well, Rise of the Tomb Raider has one of the better Pre Order Bonuses I've seen: Tomb Raider 2013.

Its still a shitty deal simply because its a preorder for a digital product.The only thing that would make a preorder into a good thing is if they gave out physical stuff with it.Maps,toys,bags,keys,...anything that actually can run out.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:43 pm

Wide And Nerdy wrote:That game is still on my wishlist. If I end up enjoying it, I'll know who to thank.

People are probably best advised not to give my taste much weight in their purchasing decisions. It's a bit all over the place. I really

Shamus played Dreamfall The Longest Journey a long time ago and it was something he was raving about on his blog and then he got to the end and now he hates the game enough that he wouldn't think of touching Dreamfall Chapters.

In a more sound area than personal feelings though, the series is a really fascinating academic look at adventure games. The Longest Journey came out in the adventure game prime, Dreamfall The Longest Journey came out at a time when adventure games had pretty much died out and Dreamfall Chapters is coming out when adventure games have been reborn in a new form for the Telltale era.

What makes it even better from an appreciation standpoint is that all three games are undoubtedly steeped in the genre trappings of the time (TLJ inventory puzzle gameplay, Dreamfall: TLJ's big 3D environments and multiple characters*, Chapters' episodic release), but all of the games had a style which managed to stand out as unusual in that age.

*Dreamfall's only real contemporary was Indigo Prophecy.

EDIT: Oops I think I've gone off on this tangent before. I guess I have a ready built Dreamfall spiel. For some more personalised talk, the reason Shamus' ended up hating it was it ended on a massive downer, like Empire Strikes Back but 10x more and you might find that offputting.
Last edited by Thomas on Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Videogames”