Psst there's a good deal on the internet

Thomas

Psst there's a good deal on the internet

Postby Thomas » Sun May 12, 2013 12:47 am

Might be cool to share any particularly awesome special offers, if anyone ever stumbles across them. I always assume that people are handing out shovels of games for free somewhere and I'm missing out on it.

GoG has 12 pretty sweet adventure games at 60% off at the moment.
http://www.gog.com/promo/indie_adventur ... omo_100513

If you haven't played To The Moon and want to, this is probably a good chance to do it. The story for To The Moon is incredible (although not executed particularly well) diving deep into someones relationship with a neurologically different wife(probably autistic) and it has some really excellent music to go with it. It's pretty much at the story end of the story/game equation, so don't buy it hoping for awesome puzzles.

And because this is a really awesome sale Miasmata and the Dreamfall games are up too. And the Blackwell point and click series, which are pretty fun and have some great voice acting.

Also, if you somehow haven't heard 4 Double Fine games + Brutal Legend are up for a humble bundle at the moment
https://www.humblebundle.com/
I'm not even sure I like Double Fine games and I still went for it =D (There's an Indie Royale bundle up too, but I haven't played any of the game on it yet to tell if it's good. PID and The Sea Will Claim Everything look interesting)
RedSun

Re: Psst there's a good deal on the internet

Postby RedSun » Sun May 12, 2013 2:50 am

Seconded on To The Moon. Its flawed and the gameplay is a bit tedious if you're not good at sliding puzzles, but its probably the most emotionally powerful game I've ever played-made me cry harder than anything else in recent memory. Its Up meets Inception with a hint of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and it absolutely deserves those comparisons.

Also, I'm playing the Longest Journey right now, and I gotta say:probably the best point-and-click adventure game I've ever played. Getting it to run on modern OS's is a son of a bitch, and its probably the most dated-looking 3d game I've ever played. That said, the story is properly epic, featuring both a cyberpunk and a classical fantasy world, both of which are well-defined and are exploited properly per their respective genres; an interesting cast of supporting characters with mostly well-written dialogue; mountains of good humor interspersed between moments of genuine tension,drama; and a great female main character that doesn't make me horribly, horribly ashamed of my Y chromosome. It is the biggest breath of fresh air the games industry has given me in a long while-its not a stupid, gritty action game, but its not a frustrating, eye-rolling, enormous quotation marks "humorous" adventure game either. Its special. Everyone should play it.
Kavonde

Postby Kavonde » Sun May 12, 2013 7:33 am

System Shock 2 is on Steam right now. It is $6.99 US.

Also, there are two related links that may be of interest: this and this.

That is all.
AyeGill

Postby AyeGill » Sun May 12, 2013 9:07 am

Miasmata is also worth trying. It's very rough around the edges, so to speak, but I thought it was a very neat take on the 'survival' part of survival horror.
bucaneer

Postby bucaneer » Sun May 12, 2013 10:54 am

What better deal is there than free, and what better part of the internet than this very thread? I have a Steam key for Europa Universalis 3: Chronicles (that is, full game with all four expansions) that I'm willing to give away. Send me a PM if interested, and I'll randomly pick a winner this time tomorrow. Probably.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Sun May 12, 2013 11:51 am

Kavonde wrote:System Shock 2 is on Steam right now. It is $6.99 US.

That is all.

At the risk of turning it into a DRM-debate, and while I know it's not quite what this thread is about, I'd pay the $3 extra to get to GOG version full price any day of the week. No bad thing that Steam is carrying it now, but just in case some are unaware that there are less-encumbered versions out there.

I do like the idea of this as an ongoing thread though - so many vendors with so many so-called 'specials' out there that picking out the genuine bargains is not as simple as visiting the usual sites. Gamersgate's spring sale that recently wrapped up for example had some superb deals (a 4-pack of Borderlands 2 for <$30, D&D classics for $6), but there's so much shovelware in their lists and their UI is generally substandard.

P.S. Can't believe no one's mentioned that Trainz 2012 is on sale. :P
newdarkcloud

Postby newdarkcloud » Sun May 12, 2013 9:50 pm

X-Com: Enemy Unknown is a little over $13 on Steam for another 18 or so hours if anyone here is interested.
Kavonde

Postby Kavonde » Sun May 12, 2013 10:00 pm

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die edition is currently half off ($15) on GameStop's download service. Don't worry; unlike EA, GameStop actually realizes that Steam is a far better platform than they could hope for, and once you buy it, it automatically sends Steam the game's CD key and lets them handle the downloading and maintenance. I was genuinely impressed.
Sudanna

Postby Sudanna » Sun May 12, 2013 11:44 pm

Steam has the new X-COM game for $13.59 for the next 17 hours or so. It's normally forty.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Fri May 17, 2013 5:41 am

I expect most would have heard of it already, but there's a massive sale at Amazon (they generally issue Steam keys) for the rest of the month, mix of short term/daily deals and others. You'll need to create a fake US address if you're not from there to buy them. Since there's so many titles, I'll just leech off someone else's hard work. Complete list with dates: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2319946
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Tue May 21, 2013 9:32 pm

This if for US customers only, but Stronghold Kingdoms and Stronghold Crusader HD are being given away for free at the moment
http://www.dealzon.com/deals/stronghold-kingdoms
I'm not american so I don't know how easy it is, but the Stronghold games were really good detailed castle management sims and well worth bothering with
Zukhramm

Postby Zukhramm » Tue May 21, 2013 11:40 pm

Humanoid wrote:
Kavonde wrote:System Shock 2 is on Steam right now. It is $6.99 US.

That is all.

At the risk of turning it into a DRM-debate, and while I know it's not quite what this thread is about, I'd pay the $3 extra to get to GOG version full price any day of the week. No bad thing that Steam is carrying it now, but just in case some are unaware that there are less-encumbered versions out there.

I do like the idea of this as an ongoing thread though - so many vendors with so many so-called 'specials' out there that picking out the genuine bargains is not as simple as visiting the usual sites. Gamersgate's spring sale that recently wrapped up for example had some superb deals (a 4-pack of Borderlands 2 for <$30, D&D classics for $6), but there's so much shovelware in their lists and their UI is generally substandard.

P.S. Can't believe no one's mentioned that Trainz 2012 is on sale. :P

Not all games on Steam actually use Steamworks DRM. System Shock 2 doesn't seem to use it, I can launch it fine without running Steam.
SleepingDragon

Postby SleepingDragon » Thu May 23, 2013 1:29 pm

In case somebody still isn't signed up for their newsletter and/or doesn't get this information through one of the dozen other channels Alan Wake + American Nightmare + a number of goodies just went on a weekly over at https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly, so for everyone who wants to experience the joy of a Spoiler Warning game for as low as 1$ now is your chance (plus I remember people saying that AN was pretty interesting too).
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Thu May 23, 2013 11:35 pm

This was technically included under the list that Humanoid posted, but I felt this one deserved special attention:
Civ IV Complete, Civ V Gold, and XCOM: Enemy Unknown, all for $20.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CPBZDPE/

Even already owning both the Civs, I was tempted just for XCOM. (But alas, discretion won out)
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Fri May 24, 2013 1:11 am

Well if you look further down that list, from the 28th of May, XCOM will be on sale by itself for $10. :)

Random: Sleeping Dogs about $6 on Gamersgate.

EDIT: Randomer and off-topicer - 40% off Blu-rays at Barnes and Noble until June 3rd. Went to order the new classic Ultimate Gangsters collection (Jimmy Cagney in HD, finally) and ended up placing an order for 15 items.
Last edited by Humanoid on Fri May 24, 2013 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rebel Canuck

Postby Rebel Canuck » Fri May 24, 2013 1:46 am

Humanoid wrote:Well if you look further down that list, from the 28th of May, XCOM will be on sale by itself for $10. :)

Random: Sleeping Dogs about $6 on Gamersgate.

I'll definitely vouch for both Sleeping Dogs and XCom, both are excellent games, especially at those prices.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Fri May 24, 2013 3:26 pm

Football Manager 2013, as featured on the Diecast! This weekend a mere $10.88 on Greenmangaming.

Okay, so more likely you're interested in Tomb Raider at the same place, for $13.60. Use voucher code GMG20-LLASD-D8WBQ. One day only deal.

Spec Ops and Crusader Kings 2 also available for ~$8 each.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Fri May 24, 2013 3:46 pm

I always end up buying a football manager game once it's oldish, getting through half a season and then giving it up and forgetting about it forever more until I buy the next one. There's probably a lesson in poor consumer habits somewhere in there
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Fri May 24, 2013 3:50 pm

The Groupees Be Mine 8 bundle is going right now, you get an assortment of games and music for $5.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Fri May 24, 2013 4:16 pm

Thomas wrote:I always end up buying a football manager game once it's oldish, getting through half a season and then giving it up and forgetting about it forever more until I buy the next one. There's probably a lesson in poor consumer habits somewhere in there

Given that the demo is literally the full game with a half-season time limit, very much so. :P
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Tue May 28, 2013 7:36 pm

There hasn't been a Humble Bundle as good as the latest one in a while (with the problem being you'll probably already have a lot of the games in it)

Hotline Miami, Little Inferno, Thomas Was Alone, Dear Esther and Proteus, that's probably the whole narrative/mechanics argument in indie gaming across the whole spectrum in one package! Plus Awesomnauts and Capsized, but I don't recognise those
http://www.humblebundle.com/

EDIT: With Little Inferno it once again proves that I probably shouldn't ever read spoilers on the basis of 'I'll never watch/play/read it anyway' That never works!

EDIT EDIT: This does mean I have a spare Thomas Was Alone and Dear Esther key if there are people who want those games and don't want to/can't use any of the methods to pay for a bundle, but otherwise you might as well pay a penny or whatever and get all the games
A. Hieronymus Bosch

Postby A. Hieronymus Bosch » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:05 am

Steam sale on everything in the Carpe Fulgur library for the next 16 hours or so.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/15400/

I'll personally vouch for Recettear being worth five bucks (though there's a decent demo, so you might as well try that first). Not sure about the others, though.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:09 am

A. Hieronymus Bosch wrote:Steam sale on everything in the Carpe Fulgur library for the next 16 hours or so.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/15400/

I'll personally vouch for Recettear being worth five bucks (though there's a decent demo, so you might as well try that first). Not sure about the others, though.

Chantelise is best described as a hard 3D brawler, made by the same people who made Recettear, which they made after.
Fortune Summoners is a hard (noticing a pattern here?) 2D sidescroller RPG thing, something like a cross between Castlevania and Zelda maybe? A little strange to describe.
Dev Null

Postby Dev Null » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:32 pm

Jade Empire is on sale at GOG:

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/jade_empire_special_edition

Pretty sure thats one of the ones Shamus has been plugging for awhile now. I've never played it, but assuming that many of you - like I do - agree with quite a few of his tastes in games, you might want to check it out. I'm going to.
A. Hieronymus Bosch

Postby A. Hieronymus Bosch » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:34 pm

Rome: Total War™ is on sale via Steam for $1.00:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/4760/

It ends in eighteen hours.

Return to “Videogames”