Starcraft 2

Thomas

Re: Starcraft 2

Postby Thomas » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:41 pm

This is a fantastic game of Starcraft, Scarlett vs Bomber in the Red Bull Battlegrounds, constant tension and an amazing ending. Moves that caught every single person from the observer to the commentators to the players by surprise
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwp1dZFwGak
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:21 pm

Oh man those burrows.That was amazing.
Klay F.

Postby Klay F. » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:49 pm

That's a game I'll never forget as long as I live. Watching live on twitch was just amazing.

My heart broke a little as I watched Scarlett lose her 2-0 lead against sOs though.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:56 pm

This is what a broken game looks like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx-1H0P_wRY

All units shoot banelings, on death they blow up like banelings. Minerals move, random exploding Huggerlords appear every X seconds...

Also they're going to release the arcade for free to everyone soon! I'm finally going to be able to play Nexus Wars!
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:01 pm

Oh god,so much pink!
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:15 am

Hilarious bugs are the best bugs. I really hope they keep those 'features' in the map. That game was amazing.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:15 pm

If you dont like cheese,this is the imba for you.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:06 pm

The free arcade is coming this week, I'm looking forward to this. It does seem like it's going to be exploitable though, with stuff like Starbow and custom maps can't you basically play the game for free? I guess you don't get a matchmaker
Lovecrafter

Postby Lovecrafter » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:28 am

So, TB's been casting Nation Wars, in which 3-man teams of different countries are pitted against each other. Now all of these games are pretty good, but this Germany vs. Ukraine series becomes a thing of beauty several games in.

Also, don't miss France vs. Ukraine, especially the Kas vs. Tod game. Proxy Thor
Lovecrafter

Postby Lovecrafter » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:06 pm

Doubleposting because holy shit, I just watched the Nation Wars finals and it's a big contender for being the greatest SC2 series of 2014 (disregard that it's only January, it's THAT amazing). If you're going to watch anything in this series, watch this one. It's so awesome, they've split it into two parts (although you should skip about the first 35 minutes of the second video, since that's oddly footage present in the first video):
part 1
part 2
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:29 pm

I think the only two games I didn't watch in Nation wars was Germany vs Ukraine and Russia vs Norway :P (It was the other Germany vs Ukraine though). I'll have to catch up (I was supporting Germany as a TLO proxy and got sad when they got knocked out)

I'm enjoying the start of WCS season too, although at the moment the games all tend to be a little one-sided since it's just qualifiers. But Europe managed to knock out everyone Korean in the competition who it was possible to knock out so far! We're only going to have 5-8 koreans out of 32 players (admittedly that's still enough to make a korean win pretty possible)
Lovecrafter

Postby Lovecrafter » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:40 pm

Thomas wrote:I think the only two games I didn't watch in Nation wars was Germany vs Ukraine and Russia vs Norway :P (It was the other Germany vs Ukraine though). I'll have to catch up (I was supporting Germany as a TLO proxy and got sad when they got knocked out)

I'm enjoying the start of WCS season too, although at the moment the games all tend to be a little one-sided since it's just qualifiers. But Europe managed to knock out everyone Korean in the competition who it was possible to knock out so far! We're only going to have 5-8 koreans out of 32 players (admittedly that's still enough to make a korean win pretty possible)

Well, TB did say on Nation Wars that the EU players are people to look out for.

Also, those two parts above aren't the full finals. Due to swarm hosts circumstances, TB had to leave and Day 9 took over. No Youtube links as of yet, but hopefully they'll be uploaded soon.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:34 pm

I think Total Biscuit saves his Twitch videos right? Have you looked there? EDIT: Oh yeah he's subscription only. It makes sense, you can't put ads on twitch videos for some reason. I'm guessing they charge companies more because the person is more likely to be sitting down actually watching the ad if it's live and adding seperate ads for videos would be complicated

I don't really follow the NA scene much to compare, but I've been impressed by some of the more unknown EU players who made good showing recently. I think TB is right that the inaccessibility of Europe has really helped the players there shine. You need a place where you can win tournaments (without Koreans) and make a name for yourself otherwise you stop playing. The cultural diversity probably helps too, the UK has a crud SC2 scene (although Bling is now in the premier!) but you've got other countries where it's much more of a thing (and non-english speaking players can't move over into casting :P)
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:23 am

Slivko vs Snute was so funny =D In some ways that's what people want to see from RTS' right? Everyone switching units constantly, gaining tactical edges. Transitioning from roaches to hydras to broodlords to swarmhosts to vipers to infestors to zerglings. Someone would develop a composition so the other would immediately transition into something else which would trigger another transition which trigger another... Total war, continuous fighting

...and yet none of us wanted to see it :P

EDIT: On the other hand, I think Titan vs Snute was a genuinely great game. That was some absolutely masterful play by Snute. I think the casters were slow to the adjust to the new thinking, all that stuff about expos and resources is absolutely worthless if your army never dies and you can defend one base. They kept arguing that Snute was in trouble when his expos kept dying, but actually that's silly, Snute doesn't need to overwhelm his opponent with resources, in fact Snute shouldn't have taken the expos. He concentrates all his defences around his tech and one base, and then when that one mines out he moves to the next, because his bank will naturally build whereas Titan's will always drain. Then it was just a matter of keeping that army alive through some pretty intense micro until Titan understands that he was dead (and Titan was dead before he'd established his third 'main')

And the eventual tilt on Titan, when Snute creeped the entire map and Titan had literally almost mined out every base except for Snutes starting bases =D And then when he was trying to just kill a single spore crawler for the sake of his sanity and he couldn't even do that :P The game actually went on for so long that Titan had the time to get totally rocked and then calm down and collect himself before the gg. It's kind of crazy the attention you needed to keep up that level of skill for such a long time.

Oddly enough though, Snute's macro really slips in this sort of situation. I noticed before in the Slivko game, that Snute literally wasn't building a single thing towards the end, to the extent I thought Slivko might make a comeback. And here he kept forgetting to mine gas, or forgot to mine minerals. Not that it mattered, Snute could have circled his entire force around a single spore-crawler and no matter how many armies Titan through at it it wouldn't have been enough to win the game
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:43 pm

Oh man,that was epic silliness.

Also,I did not expect the cat.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:02 pm

I feel like Blizzard are really paying for their free units at the moment and point-defense-drones atm. I've just watched a game where someone ate away a 4k mineral bank, literally one or two spore crawlers at a time. And then, with another 4k minerals in the bank, about half an hour later he just left the game without a word -_-

There's always been one or two slow match-ups, but this is ZvP, ZvT and TvT right now. I'm scared someone's going to make mech work against protoss, it's getting silly.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:36 pm

And yet,protoss interceptors still cost money,making them the least effective temporary units.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:41 am

I keep thinking that. It's crazy because of all the temporary units interceptors are already the most crippled. They don't have close to the range of locusts, nor the infinite basically insta spawn of broodling, nor do they mess with pathing like broodlings or locusts. Heck a fleet of Raven's is basically invulnerable to damage thanks to PDTs but I think carriers would struggle to defend themselves even if the interceptors were free. They have to be closer, they can't stop people walking right underneath them and the interceptors actually take some time to be rebuilt once destroyed.

And they're the only ones that aren't free
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:59 pm

It is amazing how much they tweaked the carriers,yet they still suck.What they should do is give them another utility.For example,the ability to detonate some of the interceptors in a kamikaze attack(for some energy).Or giving the interceptors the ability to restore shields.Or,give the carriers a death blow,turning them into a nuke against organics once they die.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:46 pm

Scarlett and Naniwa have both already been eliminated in WCS. Lets hope a new foreigner steps up because otherwise this is going to be a Korean walk over :(
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:01 pm

I don't know if the vods are watchable or not, but Clan Wars is the new imba league. Husky has casted a few of these games on his channel too.

Semi-Island maps, 2 v 2's, some the cheesiest cheeses ever seen, maps where neutral turrets attack everyone, the larva rising map from the campaign...

And all played by professional teams
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:02 pm

Thomas wrote:the larva rising map from the campaign...

Is that the one where larva swarm all over the place and your units dont have any free spaces to move anymore?
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:05 pm

It only rises in the middle of the map, so you basically have to be incredibly careful when you move out or you might lose your entire army, and playing defensive can work really well because you've got windows where attacks are impossible
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:45 pm

So apparently this is a thing you can do with your harvesters.Im also astonished that I havent seen this type of defense from a pro player before.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:31 pm

I think pros do do it, right? It's stacking your workers.

Incidentally Dreamhack Bucharest is kicking ass at the moment. Although TLO got knocked out in the first round which was painful :(

Return to “Videogames”