All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1732 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 70  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:34 am 
Also, I have been playing Candy box!, which is a JavaScript game that I have running in the background but still thing about more than I should...

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:12 pm 
I just started playing Dominions 3 by email again with a friend. It's big, convoluted mess of a game that has you create a Pretender God, and lead a nation to destroy the other Pretenders and ascend to true Godhood. It's turn-based, goes on forever, has a terrible interface, and becomes complete micromanagement hell, but I love it to bits.

There's just so much stuff: the mythological flavour, the differences between all the factions, the random events, the high number of magic spells in it, everything. One of the high-level spells is just called Wish, and it lets you Wish for something in the game and get it. That's the entire spell description. The nations vary from Medieval humans to a Hindu-themed nation of monkeys to a Roman Empire collapsing under the curse of undeath to a nation of Lovecraftian beings to the goddamn Nephilim.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:30 am 
Knut wrote:
Also, I have been playing Candy box!, which is a JavaScript game that I have running in the background but still thing about more than I should...

You're not the only one...

SO MANY DEMONS

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:57 pm 
I've just started The Longest Journey, and even the little I've seen so far has really impressed in terms of character, setting and story...

but gosh darn did adventure games need to die. The smartest thing The Walking Dead ever did was remove almost all the gameplay. It does not help the game for the most part and some of these older games have puzzles that... I don't know, I don't know what frame of mind you have to be in or what frame of mind they expected people to be in to solve them.

A cryptic old man asked to meet me in a theatre to explain some of the strange supernatural events that have been going on, and he seems to know way more about my life than he should have. But instead of just going there, the designers felt it would improve the player experience if first:

You take some sweets from the bar you work, dip them in petrol, offer them to a undercover detective who then spits it out in the face of the owner who then chases him off, leaving a fusebox unguarded. To open the fusebox you go home, open your window, look outside, throw some bread (that you also took from the bar) onto a rubber duck which is then attacked by seagulls allowing you to hook a clothesline out the water with a chain. Then you recover a ring you'd lost, use it to replace some electrical cables (?), turn the water pressure off in a machine, take the clamp used to fix it. You attach the clothesline to the clamp.

But we're not finished there yet. You then retrieve that rubber duck (Chekovs Rubber Duck!) from a dockyard the other side of the place where you live, steal a plaster from it, use the plaster to fix some rubber gloves that you pulled out of a bin in the art studio where you work, deflate the rubber duck, attach it to the clamp/clothesline, reflate the rubber duck, use this combination to pull a key off some traintracks in the suburbs. Then you take a train back into the city, and it just so happens that key works on the fusebox outside the theatre in the city that you need to get into, open the fusebox, uses the rubber gloves to sabotage it. Once the light is sabotaged the theatre owner, opens a door into an alleyway to fix it and you sneak in behind him.

I'm just saying, I'd have tried just jumping over the fence or something.

But it doesn't end there! There's a fire exit into the theatre which you can't open. So what you do is you find the detectives fedora which he dropped in a gutter whilst being chased away from the owner, put it on top of a rubbish bag. Go home, find a wind-up-monkey toy in your closet, wind it up and put it behind the rubbish bags so its yelling random instructions.

Then you open a dustbin (they make sure you open the dustbin first, because we don't want to be ridiculous or anything) set it on fire with some matches you picked up at home, this sets off a firealarm and you hide behind the door as the owner comes out of the fire exit, puts out the fire and then sees the shadow of the fedora looks like a man holding a gun, and hearing the toy immediately assumes that he's being held up on point of being shot unless he dances like a monkey. The owner proceeds to dance like a monkey and you sneak into the firedoor whilst the owner is being distracted because he's dancing like a monkey. Did I mention he's dancing like a monkey?.

You get into the theatre and the plot progresses. I see nothing counter-productive about this.

I mean what sort of person is April? I can't empathise with a person whose first thoughts in being unable to get into a theatre is to get out the clamps and rubber duck. She's like an idiot savant whose not actually a savant but the world keeps altering itself to make her stupidity make sense. In one sense it does mesh with the story, because as I was going through it, I too began to doubt my sanity.

The best thing is, I turned to this delightful spoiler free walkthrough, where the guy tries to give you gentle hints to solve the puzzle first.

Quote:
you need a way to open the clamp

You need an object which will hold it open. Got anything that fits
the bill?

You need to free that ducky!

Maybe that gull can help...

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:33 pm 
I read that post twice and all I can say is, "What."

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:15 pm 
They need to bring back a modern game with a puzzle like that. With an alternate solution of taking $5 to a dollar store and a simple "buy the stuff you need right now" button.

It does make me think back to Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis game. There were 3 main paths often with multiple solutions within those paths-- fighting, talking, or puzzling (yes not a real world but it was often weird.) Solution to the problem above? Hit the bartender over the head with a bottle and walk in with the Indiana Jones theme playing. Felt right too.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:45 pm 
I've started playing Dead Space 2 and I've got to say, I'm really impressed with the amount of environmental detail in this game. However, the thing that completely blows me away is that they somehow managed to make Isaac's stomp even more hilariously over-the-top than the first game.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:46 pm 
I'm not entirely sure why but I was kind of expecting Dead Space 2 to be slightly worse than the first one. It might be just because I remember hearing about them adding multiplayer and Online Pass and such and I just expected EA meddling to cause the series to gradually deteriorate, but I was pleasantly surprised to discover it's a little bit better. It's still a massive disappointment if you're looking for a horror game but as an action game it's a lot of fun and a little different.

The big improvement is the environments; they're a lot more varied and a lot more believable than DS1's and I'm going to reiterate my previous post that the amount of detail in them is (to my mind) insane. Giving Isaac a voice was also a better direction, a silent protagonist didn't really suite what they were doing, it's just a shame that they completely forgot to give him a personality while they were at it. He's basically just a really, really, really bland action hero. Although, there is one bit of characterisation that I thought was pretty great: if you repeatedly stomp a dead necromorph Isaac starts to swear angrily. It really gave the impression of someone expressing his frustration and I appreciate a bit of characterisation through gameplay. I did quite like Ellie, although I'm having a hard time justifying why. She certainly wasn't a great character...I don't know, maybe it's just Isaac's blandness made her look better in comparison.

The story is...well, I was going to say it's terrible, but that's not really true. It's not Fable 2 or Fallout 3 levels of incoherent nonsense, it's just uninspired and uninteresting. The bad guy felt really unimportant to the story until the very end and the dialogue was all pretty boring. Honestly, I think it would have been fine if the characters were more interesting and engaging; these games don't really need anything more complicated than "monsters are tearing shit up" and characters that make you care about their survival. The hook for Isaac's character arc is, I think, pretty decent (he's going insane and he feels responsible for Nicole's death because he pushed her to join the Ishimura's crew) but they completely bungled the execution. The only time Isaac comes across as insane is in self-contained, obvious hallucinations.

Overall I really like the game and I think I'm going to go straight into a second playthough to mess around with some of the weapons I didn't use much the first time.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:05 am 
Lame Duck wrote:
I'm not entirely sure why but I was kind of expecting Dead Space 2 to be slightly worse than the first one. It might be just because I remember hearing about them adding multiplayer and Online Pass and such

Wasnt that 3?

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:08 am 
3 added co-op, but 2 has some sort of competitive multiplayer that I can't play because it uses Online Pass and I bought it second hand.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:36 am 
I've been playing Civ V(Vanilla), Tropico 4, Morrowind, and Ultima 4.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:24 am 
Well finished the Longest Journey. And it's definitely a proto-game, it's not a Deus Ex/Thief type of affair where tradeoffs were made as time progressed, it's not a Starcraft style thing where the core game remains surprisingly similar and the progress is all in AI and technology.

It's got a clear direction and it's obviously a precursor to games like Heavy Rain/Indigo Prophecy/Walking Dead and even Uncharted. It's not only linear, but discretely linear with a very defined and finite set of actions that can be completed in basically one order through the entire game. In that sense I see a lot of the design traits of the corridor games in the future. And it's clear that with more than two motion capping actors (i was surprised they did mo-capping at all) and more people, better animations and graphics etc this is the direction it would go in.

But there's also design and writing decisions that we weren't clever enough to circumvent yet. A couple of parts relied on the player doing something stupid to progress, there were parts where they'd lampshade hang rather than write round it and most importantly of all we hadn't worked out that adventure games puzzles are crud yet. And those are natural steps that games took and their successors began to eliminate them. It's not a complete journey yet either, Uncharted/The Walking Dead games are still learning how to do what they want to do and there are still technical barriers that don't allow us to interact with the world in the way the end goal is.

But (apart from the puzzles) it was enjoyable and we don't have enough really original fantasy in games and this Neverending Story(they even have similar names) inspired setting really worked, particularly with the additional cyberpunk. Dreamfall is going to have to decide for me if I'm going to get excited about Dreamfall Chronicles though.
---------------------------------------------------
And now onto Portal 2! =D

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:44 pm 
Don't Starve. Playing side-by-side with my wife. We play to "longest survival wins", though I suspect we'll have to change the competition as our skills improve.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:18 am 
I've been playing Hitman: Absolution.

It's not an absolutely terrible game, but it completely fails to capture what worked in Blood Money(which is the only other hitman game I've played). There are a few sections which feel like smaller, less interesting Blood Money levels, but 90% of the game is just a mediocre stealth shooter.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:10 am 
Persona 4 Arena has finally come out over here, so that's been keeping me busy since yesterday. My only complaint so far is that the PS3 controller is terrible for fighting games. Apart from that, it's been very enjoyable.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:43 pm 
I'd really want to play Persona 4 Arena, but I just can't take it anymore. Anything released more than with a few days at most between Europe and the US I simply will not buy.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:00 pm 
Zukhramm wrote:
I'd really want to play Persona 4 Arena, but I just can't take it anymore. Anything released more than with a few days at most between Europe and the US I simply will not buy.

So that's basically any game that has localization? :p (Okay yes, P4A took a ridiculous amount of time to make its way over here.) Because I believe most EU versions are released about several weeks to a month or two after the NA version.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:02 pm 
Plenty of games have localization done in time of release, and still, I won't play any localized version, so I don't particularly feel like waiting anyway. Telling me way they won't sell me the game instead of just keeping silent for almost a year might also help.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:22 pm 
Zukhramm wrote:
Plenty of games have localization done in time of release, and still, I won't play any localized version, so I don't particularly feel like waiting anyway. Telling me way they won't sell me the game instead of just keeping silent for almost a year might also help.

In the case of P4A, it was because Atlus had outsourced the localization, which is always a recipe for disaster. But I'm more interested to know: why won't you play localized versions?

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:49 pm 
Because I don't speak German or French well enough.

And I distinctly recall Atlus/The European publisher saying that localization was not the issue.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:57 pm 
As far as I know, even localized games have an option for English.

And I guess I'm stumped then as to why it took so long for P4A to get here.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:01 pm 
Out of curiosity, do games get released the same time Europe wide? I don't think games tend to bundle all the languages on the same disk anymore (do they?)

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:05 pm 
Lovecrafter wrote:
As far as I know, even localized games have an option for English.

And I guess I'm stumped then as to why it took so long for P4A to get here.

But I won't play the actually localized version then, even if it's in the files. So why should I have to wait? And many times you can't actually choose anything other than English, so it's not even always available to me, but I still have to wait.

Thomas wrote:
Out of curiosity, do games get released the same time Europe wide? I don't think games tend to bundle all the languages on the same disk anymore (do they?)

Most of the time they're released at the same time.

Some games let me chose languages, other do not.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:04 pm 
As usual, I've been playing Planetside 2. Living free in the NC, missing the majority of my shots because NC weapons are inaccurate as a medieval musket, so I toodle around in vehicles and try to shoot down gunships with the main cannon on my tank.

And I've been playing more Divinity II and wondering if I've made the right choice. I ran into the sort of optional areas that were way above my level and got XP rewards hand-over-fist, then did the plot and just now the plot enemies have caught up to my level. But since the XP rewards give you more XP for fighting higher leveled enemies and less XP for enemies below your level and there's a finite amount of enemies... I may have screwed myself over. But then again I fought through enemies way more powerful than me in arenas that vastly favor the enemies, so... I can bunny-hop and kite and spam healing effects until I win.

You know how in Diecast #13 Josh talks about how The Witcher has problems but it hits his RPG itch? Divinity II is like that for me. I can go on and on about the problems the game has, but... I'm still enjoying the game because I kind of like the setting, I like the antagonist, and the writing has snarky moments that remind me of Arcanum and Fallout 1/2. The writing is serious enough to do some serious moments but it's not too serious that they can't have a lot of moments of levity and fun.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:09 am 
I just picked up X-Com: Enemy Unknown the other day when it was on sale on steam, and I really regret waiting so long to buy it. I'm having a blast! It's retained a lot of what made the old X-Com games great, and it's still challenging, just not as punishingly brutal as they were (at least not on normal difficulty)

I have a pretty solid squad of 6 troops right now and decent gear, just took down the first alien base. One thing I don't like so much is how every troop seems to get promoted randomly into one of the paths, it took me forever to get a sniper, and now I really want another support, but I keep getting heavies and assaults.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1732 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 70  Next