This week I have been mostly playing...

Humanoid

Re: This week I have been mostly playing...

Postby Humanoid » Mon May 22, 2017 5:40 pm

Trix2000 wrote:
Humanoid wrote:If I was playing single player, I'd have sold all my animals once I got all the necessary things for the community centre, way too much busywork for my liking. Didn't even consider slime ranching, I'll leave that to whenever I get around to playing actual Slime Rancher.
Yeah, I ended up dumping all of mine after a while because of this. If they actually made a comparable profit to crops then I might have been more willing to keep them around, but as it stands the only incentive was to get animal-specific materials (because they really don't sell for much compared to some of the crops you can grow).

Inventory becomes a huge problem, common to games with slot-based inventory systems. You have 4 different quality levels of produce, then the game adds stupidly pointless further distinctions like brown eggs vs white eggs (which are functionally the same other than when you try to hatch them, but who does that anyway when it takes half a season and buying them costs next to nothing). You clear out one coop and you're down 12 slots just for common eggs (brown/white/duck), and you have void eggs, duck feathers, rabbit "wool" and feet to gather on top of that. Then the quality of the eggs doesn't end up mattering anyway because the quality of the mayo you produce has nothing to do with the quality of the egg. Ugh. Would be far more sensible to just have happy chickens get a chance to produce extra eggs.

For foraging you have that level 10 perk that's awesome by making all foraged items maximum quality. The iridium-star stuff is nice, but the main advantage is now everything cleanly stacks. If only all other items in the game got similar treatment.

Speaking of bag space, I don't recall being able to add bag slots in Darkest Dungeon back in early access, but now there's an obvious variable in the text files allowing it to be set to an arbitrary number. Which is great and all, but the UI doesn't show the additional bag slots, other than the top few pixels of the 3rd row. It's kind of awkward, but eh, I'll take it - you can mouseover those few pixels to identify what's in the 3rd row slots, so I just need to be disciplined enough to make sure no items I actually have to use during the run end up in the functionally invisible 4th row or beyond.

I get that inventory management is meant to add challenge, but it's absolutely the worst type of challenge (and it has stiff competition from typical videogame nonsense). The worst part of it are the gemstones, which seem intentionally designed to troll the player. Naturally, six different gemstones take up six times the space of a stack of six shovels. Makes me really glad for Dishonored's system of just instantly converting stuff like that into gold, because it basically has commodity value and realistically is more portable than, y'know, sacks of gold coins. This is probably moddable by someone less lazy than me, by removing all vendor trash from the loot tables and replacing it with the equivalent amount of gold, but eh, I'll stick with my brute-force modding for now
John

Postby John » Mon May 22, 2017 5:43 pm

. . . Street Fighter Alpha 2. In honor of my new controller, a wired XBox 360 pad, I decided to get Alpha 2 running in Mame again. Now, in general I like the 360 pad. It's a little smaller, it feels more solid, and it's got a longer cord than the Logitech F310 I was using before. The plastic finish is nicer, too. But there are a couple of things about the Logitech that I really miss. The first and most immediately relevant of these is the relative placement of the left thumbstick and d-pad. The Logitech is an XBox-compatible controller but the thumbsticks, d-pad, and buttons are arranged like those on a Playstation controller. So now when I play Street Fighter with the d-pad my thumb is at the wrong angle and my muscle memory is--how to put this?--not quite right. Moves that I used to be able to pull of fairly reliably are now kind of tricky. The alternative would be to use the thumbstick instead, but that way lies madness. I keep jumping when I don't mean to, for one thing. And I keep taunting for some reason. I don't even know what the taunt command is! No, the pad, for all its problems, still produces superior results. It's just that I'd like to be able use Rose's Soul Spark super-combo when she's facing to the right, y'know? The other thing that I miss about the Logitech is the "mode" button. The mode button switches the functions of the d-pad and the left thumbstick. I can configure Mame to use either the d-pad or the thumbstick as I prefer. But the ancient PC port for Alpha 2 only accepts thumbstick input. With the Logitech, I could use the d-pad anyway because of the mode button but with the 360 pad I'm stuck with the thumbstick. The arcade version is much, much prettier than the port, so that wouldn't bother me too much if I didn't want to use the port's practice mode sometimes. If I could only get it working, I'd be able to get used to the new pad more easily and practice combos in a way that you just can't do in the arcade version.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Mon May 22, 2017 6:45 pm

Humanoid wrote:Inventory becomes a huge problem, common to games with slot-based inventory systems. You have 4 different quality levels of produce, then the game adds stupidly pointless further distinctions like brown eggs vs white eggs (which are functionally the same other than when you try to hatch them, but who does that anyway when it takes half a season and buying them costs next to nothing). You clear out one coop and you're down 12 slots just for common eggs (brown/white/duck), and you have void eggs, duck feathers, rabbit "wool" and feet to gather on top of that. Then the quality of the eggs doesn't end up mattering anyway because the quality of the mayo you produce has nothing to do with the quality of the egg. Ugh. Would be far more sensible to just have happy chickens get a chance to produce extra eggs.
Part of why I eventually stuck everything in chests almost immediately and stopped keeping things that weren't gold star after a while.

Though to be honest, I hadn't even considered how much more of a pain the animals are from an inventory perspective compared to crops. I mean, most of the time I'd have the majority of my crops be one thing (berries, often) with small patches of others for various not-selling purposes. It meant my major harvests only required 3-5 inventory slots at most (1-3 for regular, 1 each for silver and gold) and I could just toss most of it into the bin right away. Whereas with animals, much of it had to be processed to be worth much (mostly mayo) and the variety of things they made did get a little crazy.

I mean, it's worth raising animals for a while to build something of a stockpile of their products, but for moneymaking they're just a pain for a lot less payout.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Tue May 23, 2017 12:01 am

Today, I regretfully laid to rest my great old DualShock 3, Dually McShockface the Third, after a prolonged battle with progressive sinistral analogitis. It is survived by its successor, Dually McShockface the Third the Second, which came in the mail today. In its honor, ALL RISE FOR THE ANTHEM OF THE GRAND DUCHY OF GALLIA:

♪VALKYRIA, VALKYRIA♪

♪MAY THE BLOODLINE LIVE FOREVER♪

♪VALKYRIA, VALKYRIA♪

♪BLESS AND PROTECT OUR FERTILE LAND♪
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Tue May 23, 2017 12:14 am

I really need to move Valkyria Chronicles up the "Need to finish" list.

Humanoid wrote:Speaking of bag space, I don't recall being able to add bag slots in Darkest Dungeon back in early access, but now there's an obvious variable in the text files allowing it to be set to an arbitrary number. Which is great and all, but the UI doesn't show the additional bag slots, other than the top few pixels of the 3rd row. It's kind of awkward, but eh, I'll take it - you can mouseover those few pixels to identify what's in the 3rd row slots, so I just need to be disciplined enough to make sure no items I actually have to use during the run end up in the functionally invisible 4th row or beyond.

I get that inventory management is meant to add challenge, but it's absolutely the worst type of challenge (and it has stiff competition from typical videogame nonsense). The worst part of it are the gemstones, which seem intentionally designed to troll the player. Naturally, six different gemstones take up six times the space of a stack of six shovels. Makes me really glad for Dishonored's system of just instantly converting stuff like that into gold, because it basically has commodity value and realistically is more portable than, y'know, sacks of gold coins. This is probably moddable by someone less lazy than me, by removing all vendor trash from the loot tables and replacing it with the equivalent amount of gold, but eh, I'll stick with my brute-force modding for now

It's always shocking how Darkest Dungeon is so close to being a good game. But isn't. And it could be good game, if they'd made so many little decisions differently.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Tue May 23, 2017 12:20 am

Haven't tried it myself, but everything I hear about Darkest Dungeon makes it sound like what I call "an inch from great, and a mile from good."

I do love Valkyria Chronicles, and I've been playing a lot of it recently, but I find it pretty draining. I did manage to beat the campaign this time, whereas I usually get to the second desert mission and go, "Oh, screw this," promise to go back to it eventually, and then don't. I realized most of the way through the game that almost every mission past the early game, when the game is still trying to teach basic concepts, is this mission, as in, "Oh, fuck, it's this mission." Which is actually a good thing; each mission tries to focus on some new tactic or some new curveball to deal with, and the campaign doesn't outlast its bag of tricks. But like any game with any sort of strategic layer, including any RTS, TRPG's like Fire Emblem, and 4X games like Civ at any difficulty too high to let me play it like a city-builder, or XCOM, playing it tends to stress me out almost as much as I enjoy it. Even now that I'm in NG+ and I have all max-level troops with royal armaments.

But I'm gonna play it a little longer for now; I have the DLC for the game, which I never had on console, and which I never got around to when I got it again for PC. I did the Edy Detachment mission today, and half of the Edy class challenge missions; I wanna finish those, and then finish the Selvaria missions, which I hear rewards that incredibly badass weapon she uses at Ghirlandaio in the campaign if you get top marks.
Last edited by The Rocketeer on Tue May 23, 2017 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Tue May 23, 2017 12:36 am

Steve C wrote:
I also purchased Renowned Explorers: International Society when it was on sale a few weeks back. Haven't had the chance to play it properly but I am looking forward to it.
I started playing that on Saturday. I like it. I don't think it has sticking power past one or two short playthroughs. It is fun. On my second game I thought I'd try a full aggressive team. I attempted it but I don't think that is even possible let alone viable.

After I mentioned it yesterday I found myself with a bit of time last night to play it. So I played it for exactly 1hr 56mins before requesting a refund.

I didn't hate the game and it had a certain deal of charm that was... charming. But it just wasn't for me. For all their claims that there are different ways to solve encounters and all the emotional options they have it is, at the end, basically just combat (if not with sticks and stones) and once I came to that realisation the game lost a lot of its appeal for me.

The best thing about Darkest Dungeon is the first 5 or so hours. Where everything is relatively new and you're still enamored by all the different classes and ways to upgrade your characters/gear.

Once you get to the early mid game (that is, have a few characters who are at least level 3) it turns into an epic grind and by the 10th hour (if you're still playing) it's nothing more than annoying busy work. Say nothing for the fact that your entire 10-15 hour playthrough can be decided by one moment of horrific RNG..
John

Postby John » Tue May 23, 2017 2:13 am

The Rocketeer wrote:♪VALKYRIA, VALKYRIA♪ . . .

I am regretfully wary of Valkyria Chronicles. I want to like it. I really do. The mechanics sound fascinating. But some of the things I've heard about the story and some of the art I've seen are just a little too anime for me. Or maybe that's just how I try to console myself whenever I remember that the game doesn't have a Linux port.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Tue May 23, 2017 2:38 am

That reminds me: maybe it's just the Hitoshi Sakimoto music, which is uncannily similar at times, but I've started to notice a bunch of weird parallels between Valkyria Chronicles and Final Fantasy XII, a game I once played.

Both are stories told through the framing device of a book written about the events in question, authored by a character present for but peripheral to those events; both concern a small but strategically-vital monarchy being invaded by a powerful empire from the east, with a less malignant but still unfriendly great power to the west; both turn out to concern an ancient conspiracy centering on a historical conquest, the role of powerful and mysterious beings in this conquest, and this conflict's implications directly concern the ruling house of the country in question. From this ancient time, the ruling house also inherited a powerful secret weapon, and acquiring this weapon is the object of the imperial aggressor's war. This ancient power is also intrinsically linked to the female lead and their special heritage. The recurrence of the old weapons in the new era drastically alter the conflict, and serve as a heavy-handed, horrifically-botched allegory for atomic weaponry. The story concludes with the imperial power figure taking the ancient power into himself, which coincidentally causes them to put on enough muscle to bust out of their shirt, and they are fought atop their own overblown 11th-hour superweapon as it is destroyed. This superweapon was built specifically for the purpose of taking advantage of the ancient weapon, and is little use without it. One each of the male and female leads are separated from their fellows and trapped aboard the exploding war machine during the finale, but escape through a deus ex machina.

Aside from all that, there's the fact that the male lead is the least developed character of the main cast, and probably less developed than a lot of the side characters. This male lead and one of the female leads are also the two most poorly voice-acted characters. And, in general, everything in the game resembling a theme, especially any statement about the nature of power, is manhandled to the point of inanity. These last few are flaws that I don't hold against Valkyria Chronicles with anywhere near the intensity that I do against FFXII.

Despite my fondness of VC, I'm not bothered that the forthcoming Valkyria Revolution is a new story in a different world. I would liked to have seen an iteration on Chronicles' unique caboodle of mechanics (no, the PSP games don't count), but I don't think VC's world or story really left any room for expansion without damaging the setting or trivializing the first game. Spinoffs are definitely the right way to go, world-wise.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Tue May 23, 2017 3:50 am

So a quick glance at Steam's estimated playtime indicates that the first level of Republic Commando took two hours to get through. And not two hours of slow stealth level, two hours of near constant running and shooting. Although the fact that there are so many map transitions really muddles that feeling. Remember the big battle at the end of Attack of the Clones and there's clones and droids and shooting and stuff's blowing up and it seems like half the blaster bolts of the Clone Wars were fought in that one battle alone? Yeah the first level takes place during that and every outdoor segment has setpieces of gunships flying around and capital ships shooting each other in the distance.

Actually there are a lot of little details in this game. Basic droids have some funny death animations where they stagger about and fall over, or sometimes if you shoot the head off it'll start shooting the ceiling before collapsing. Melee feels really meaty and hardcore in this game because a melee kill splatters goop on your visor that persists until the windshield wiper cleans your visor off.

Your squadmates can also revive you which makes stages more merciful, because your squad is pretty good at reviving you and not dying in the process. Although if you have failed a combat and no one can revive you, you really messed up.

Oh yeah, and you remember the Droidekas? The rolly ones that unfolded and had a shield and it was a big "Oh crap" moment for Liam Neeson because they had a shield and bouncing blaster bolts at them didn't work? And do you remember the Super Battle Droids, the big burly blue ones with the wrist blaster? For some reason when you call for focused fire on a Dorideka it works so much better than on a Super Battle Droid. I don't know whether they're bigger targets, move less, take damage evenly across their hitbox where the Super Battle Droids take less on parts, or if they really do have less health for some reason... But they're really not as as scary.

Or maybe I'm better at this than Liam Neeson was.
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Tue May 23, 2017 3:55 am

The Rocketeer wrote:Final Fantasy XII, a game I once played.

I appreciated this understatement.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Tue May 23, 2017 4:15 am

The only thing people appreciate from me is understatement.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Tue May 23, 2017 8:01 am

My copy of Fire Emblem Echoes ended its trip at a local delivery centre in Leopoldsdorf, Austria. Bit of a trek from Canberra, Australia. At least the shop was responsive when I let them know and they've issued a refund already. Suits me because in the intervening time since I ordered it, the dollar had weakened enough so it wasn't a good deal financially at this point anyway.
lurkey

Postby lurkey » Tue May 23, 2017 8:26 am

Playing Andromeda still. After Tattooine there was Hoth which I've already blocked out of my memory because it was excruciatingly tedious, now I'm on planet Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy and starting to suffer from MMO wasteland fatigue so I think I'm gonna skip planet Optional just like I did with DA:I's last area.

Oh! Speaking of Inquisition - those who played it surely must remember the Bear. You know -- ubiquitous, apparently made of titanium given how long it would take to chip down that enormous health bar of his, teleporting straight onto your path wherever you go or homing in from across the bloody whole map and never losing aggro thus denying you fast-travel AND giving, like, 2xp and zero loot on kill? The bastard is in Andromeda too, masquerading as a space dinosaur.

Anyway, planet WHOSAV gave me the first genuinely interesting Choice with Consequence (which would be just goodish-but-unfinished in any other Biogame including Inquisition, but Andromeda is that bland) and from the looks of it I'm just companion quests (Andromeda's pacing: nothing on Tattooine, nothing on bloody Hoth, mid WHOSAV everyone runs up and vomits their personal quests on me all at once) and a few missions away from the end, and I'm not that interested in doing either, because the plot is dull and your ship crew and companions are all Kaidans.
Galad

Postby Galad » Tue May 23, 2017 9:25 am

Oh! Speaking of Inquisition - those who played it surely must remember the Bear. You know -- ubiquitous, apparently made of titanium given how long it would take to chip down that enormous health bar of his, teleporting straight onto your path wherever you go or homing in from across the bloody whole map and never losing aggro thus denying you fast-travel AND giving, like, 2xp and zero loot on kill? The bastard is in Andromeda too, masquerading as a space dinosaur.

Well, if I ever wanted to play Inquisition, this would put any stop to such feverish delusions.
Ninety-Three

Postby Ninety-Three » Tue May 23, 2017 3:21 pm

Endless Space 2. This is the only time I've really bounced off a 4X. Even Stars in Shadow managed to occupy my thoughts and compel a dozen hours of my attention before I became certain that yes, the answer to the optimization problem really was as simple as "Spam as many missile ships as possible, win easily". ES2 has enough atypical 4X elements, and is so badly-explained, that I just can't bite down on anything. I can't tell if the game is terrible or if I'm missing something, but either way I am not having fun.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Tue May 23, 2017 4:42 pm

Ninety-Three, have you played Endless Space 1 before? I found that game really hard to digest at first. If it's more of that then I can probably manage. If instead you bounced on ES2 even after having ES1 under your belt... well, I can't think of anything more damning for the game.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Tue May 23, 2017 4:53 pm

I started another game of Renowned Explorers. It still had some fun left in it after a playthrough. Then I discovered that save games weren't actually saving the game state. My fun evaporated quickly at that point. I was going to add to the pet peeve thread but it felt really familiar. Having a penalty for stopping the game and coming back to it later really really bothers me. It's not a lot of comfort that it is likely a bug in this case. It still sucks.
Ninety-Three

Postby Ninety-Three » Tue May 23, 2017 6:31 pm

Steve C wrote:Ninety-Three, have you played Endless Space 1 before? I found that game really hard to digest at first. If it's more of that then I can probably manage. If instead you bounced on ES2 even after having ES1 under your belt... well, I can't think of anything more damning for the game.

No ES1, but I'm picking up on a lot of Amplitude's style of 4X through extreme familiarity with Endless Legend, and ES2 still gives me indigestion.
Narratorway

Postby Narratorway » Tue May 23, 2017 6:54 pm

The Rocketeer wrote:The only thing people appreciate from me is understatement.

The rest we endure. ;p
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Wed May 24, 2017 2:45 pm

Played an hour or so of FE Echoes and eh, hard to form an opinion just yet, but so far it's an odd blend of the exceedingly simple and the confusingly opaque.

Combat for example, just lumps you with a squad of six regular melee characters to begin with, so there's no real tactics involved, you just dogpile on the enemy units as they approach. I mean narratively it makes sense, you're all just a bunch of peasants (plus one soldier) so you're not going to have fancypants mages, cavalry or archers, but it makes early combat very uninteresting.

You then level up a couple of times and the game informs you that you're now eligible to change class. Except you can't. You're left combing through the UI for an option that doesn't exist, because you have to advance the story first despite what the game just told you.

Okay, dungeon cleared and the game finally deigns to explain class-changing. You're prompted to assign a class to each of the four peasants. Decision paralysis. In the other games,characters gain each stat at varying rates, making some classes natural fits, and others nigh-unusable for a given character. They're never explicit about the specific rates, but it's normally pretty intuitive, especially as you don't need to make a decision until halfway through the game. Here though, you're none the wiser as to which peasant is good at what, if there's even any difference between them. Off to the wiki I guess. (And of course more than half the classes are gender-locked because 1990.)

Now you enter a room containing two fountains, the game tells you drinking from one will increase your Speed, and the other your HP. I pick someone arbitrarily and increase their speed. I'm pleasantly surprised to find I can then have someone else drink from the same fountain and gain the same. And then another, at which point the fountain runs dry. Oh well, that was pretty generous, onto the HP fountain then. Oh wait, it's now also dry. So you can drink a collective three times across the two fountains I guess?

_____

Incidentally, I noticed that every time you move from one map point to the next, the day advances by one. So the game starts on the first of <Month>. I then proceeded to walk back and forth between map points to see how the date advances. It is now the 210th day of the first month, apparently.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Wed May 24, 2017 3:31 pm

It goes up to the 999th!
But yeah, it gets a bit odd.
The game sort-of tells whom some of the characters work best as by poking around the village. As it mentions Tobin's been practising archery, and Kliff left a scorch mark on a wall with his magic practice. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter?
Considering there's no magic stat (it's combined with strength) and you only need greater speed than your foe to double them, rather than +5, they're not the most important decisions. Plus, when you change to a new class they get booted to the "minimum" stats of that class if they're lower.

Then the game only actually explains that magic attacks ignore terrain when you've been given an entire group of mages much later. Tutorial pacing is straaaange.

The ability to rewind time during battle is great for Classic though, now you can have enforced no-death runs without having to restart the entire map if you fail.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Wed May 24, 2017 3:49 pm

Yeah, noticed the combined Atk thing (since the mobile game does the same), but had no idea about the speed mechanics. That sounds kinda crazy to me, but then I've generally disliked FE's speed system in general (because the difference of a single stat point resulting in literally double damage doesn't seem like a well-designed mechanic to me).

I suppose then that picking naturally high-Def characters for melee units is the most relevant thing. In the end though, I just guessed each character's role based on stereotype then picked the opposite class. since it looks like there's only 10 character slots in the UI, odds seem low that I'll be taking many (if any) of these ones to the end of the game so I may as well go for novelty.

I have mixed feelings about promotions bumping up stats to a predetermined threshold. On the one hand it feels like it makes any levels previously gained completely redundant (making it as if previous effort was just a waste of time). But on the plus side, it more or less gets rid of the worst aspects of FE's luck-based stat gain by periodically resetting the baseline. I'm heavily opposed to random stat gain (I've heard a couple games in the series went with fixed gains), so I probably shouldn't complain about anything that changes said system up a bit. I'd need to read up on Echoes' levelling mechanics more to be able to form an educated opinion however.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Wed May 24, 2017 4:02 pm

It's 10 slots for generic dungeon battles.
Actual fights can be more.

Stat gains upon promotion mostly make sure you don't fall completely behind, as you still keep any stats that are above what they "should" be, so you can quickly have very dangerous characters rather than having people be completely useless by accident.
They won't be worse than generic enemies seeming to be the aim? This was a weird game in the series even for its time.

Other things it does: magic costs HP, as there's no breakable weapons or staves. Nosferatu also has fixed accuracy, its baseline is never more than 60.
As this is an old game left pretty much entirely intact, it does not use the average of two rolls to check for hits, accuracy is all on a single check. The age is also why there's no weapon triangle.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Fri May 26, 2017 6:20 am

Played a bit more, but the game is yet to grow on me. Combat is just so ....degenerative. With a full complement of classes now but it's barely made a difference tactically - battle begins, the AI immediately beelines you from their starting positions, and you swat them down as they come with weight of numbers.

All in all I'd say it's a well-enough presented game (though the palette is a little washed out), but none of the gameplay elements really click. I don't know how much of it comes from the original game, but the point-and-click pixel hunting is awful and pointless, the dungeon-delving is just an repetitive exercise in hitting all the things, and the meat of the game, the combat, has a fraction of the tactical depth of even the mobile game.

I've also seen a fair bit of praise for the writing in the game, at least relative to the previous instalment. But the villains I've seen so far are the arrogant cackling maniacal obviously-evil-looking sort, which is not too encouraging.

P.S. I just picked up a magic sword and went from doing 3 points of damage a swing to 15. What is balance?

Return to “Videogames”