This week I have been mostly playing...

Humanoid

Re: This week I have been mostly playing...

Post by Humanoid » Wed May 17, 2017 2:44 pm

There's no advancement tied to your choices, there are occasionally minor impacts to the next scene you get (which happen every 2 hearts for love interests), but no long term consequences. A trivial example is that you get asked what type of music you like, and later on they'll write a song of that genre dedicated to you.

Short term the different options give varying bonuses (or penalties) to your relationship score but it's largely immaterial given the ease of gifting - one gift more than cancels out the negative impact of the "wrong" choice. Feel free to insult people at every possible opportunity, it's great.
The Rocketeer

Post by The Rocketeer » Wed May 17, 2017 7:30 pm

Today, on "Sociopathic Life Advice" with Humanoid:
Humanoid wrote:[O]ne gift more than cancels out the negative impact of the "wrong" choice. Feel free to insult people at every possible opportunity, it's great.
Narratorway

Post by Narratorway » Wed May 17, 2017 7:50 pm

Christ Witcher is just a constant walk through bramble bushes. I heard piles of people complain about the mechanics of this game, and while I get that, so far it's been the least hassling issue I've had to deal with. My problem is with its constant story bullshit. Not even the writing of the story, but how they bake it into the game...or rather brand it in there with a white hot piece of metal. It's constant...so I'll just list:

- The entirety of the bullfuckery that was The Beast fight, which I've already elaborated here.
- You can store excess inventory items by talking to an innkeeper and only an innkeeper. The game then kills the innkeeper.
- Entering the city after completing the outskirts leads to being locked in the dungeon by way of cutscene and having all your inventory taken from you.
- You're told you can have them back if you defeat a sewer monster and you're given a silver sword. You're told they're great against monsters, shit against humans. You agree, and you're locked in the sewers with no way to get back even if you did kill the monster.
- Instead you meet a guy who unlocks another exit and says to talk to a guy in town for more info on your quest...who just happens to live right next to the exit.
- Going to this guy and talking to him has Geralt decide to wait till midnight to leave leading to a cutscene that ends with you surrounded by human assassins...when all you still have on you is that silver sword. Y'know...the one that's shit against humans.

Trix2000

Post by Trix2000 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:05 pm

lurkey wrote: Yes, you locked yourself out of laying a smooch. Also, you could put a variety of stuff into the luau soup, not just fruits and veggies and fishies. I hear that tree sap is a wonderful condiment.
Some of the reactions you can get from this are pretty funny. Sap IS a wonderful condiment, but you should try some Sea Cucumber!
Steve C

Post by Steve C » Wed May 17, 2017 11:57 pm

bitterpark wrote:Surely you can't have already spent all of your starting budget? If you have, you might be in some trouble.
Well now I have. Every fight was just a brutal slow slog with just 2 guys. I hired two mercs. I'm down to $756 plus another $600 in cash I've found. I still haven't figured out how to sell anything. Even if I did, the total value of all my loot so far is probably less than $300 given the pathetic prices displayed on the inventory map.
It takes some time for the counter-attack to happen though, the soldiers have to walk through all the tiles to Drassen.
So worse than normal? Because that's what is already happening. There's multiple groups of 8-18 guys walking the roads that I have to avoid. There's no way in hell I'm fighting them on the road or in the woods. Those maps are impossible. It's full of trees and no useable cover. It's laughable how bad trees are for cover.
I'm fairly sure you can get at least a couple thousand from the factory. I think she drops a key to a cupboard there, where the rest of the money is stashed, or something like that? I don't remember, I might just be making this up. The primary benefit of dealing with her is that it improves the town morale (which makes the town's mine more profitable, provided that you have captured it).
All I got was ~$450. I'm pretty sure I cleared her out. I don't think there were ever thousands there. The main thing was that SMG she had. It's literally the only good weapon I've found. Well good condition anyway.
You can also find a shotgun in the locked backroom of the church. I remember using explosives to blow my way in there on my first playthrough, just to get some better hardware. Good times.
I don't want a shotgun. I can't see ever wanting a shotgun. I have no trouble with combat at short range. It's long range that I can't do. The last combat my tile was invaded by enemies while I was sleeping. I held up in a house and it was very straightforward and manageable. It was still slow, grindy and exhausting. But every combat is like that.
Did you know there's crafting in this game? Most of the recipes are arcane nonsense you'll never figure out without a guide: the only one I remember is to combine a spring with a metal rod, which makes a barrel extension that can give your guns extra range.
I did know that. It's one of those things I can't figure out how to actually do it in the UI. I've got some t-shirts and alcohol. I can apparently rip the shirts and make rags. Then combine the rags with alcohol and make a molotov. I can't figure it out. I don't really need molotovs though. BTW a spring and a rod makes a faster trigger.

I'm definitely going to head to the mines next. I'm actively avoiding combat now. I still like the game. I'm still not enjoying the actual experience of playing it.
Ringwraith

Post by Ringwraith » Thu May 18, 2017 12:02 am

Narratorway wrote: - Instead you meet a guy who unlocks another exit and says to talk to a guy in town for more info on your quest...who just happens to live right next to the exit.
- Going to this guy and talking to him has Geralt decide to wait till midnight to leave leading to a cutscene that ends with you surrounded by human assassins...when all you still have on you is that silver sword. Y'know...the one that's shit against humans.
Yeah, this is a mean one.
You can just not visit him immediately, and go and grab your gear first. But that's probably not what you'll do as you're right next to where you need to be.
Narratorway

Post by Narratorway » Thu May 18, 2017 12:24 am

Well...yeah, that was my point. I mean I didn't even bother with the fight, I just loaded up a thankfully recent save and started looking for another inn after looking online confirmed I hadn't lost all my stuff in the last one. Since God knows what that fight'll lock off, I'm gonna hold off on it until I've cleared some quests and gave the Temple Quarter a once over. I need to start finding places to unpack all the crap I've grabbed...
Ringwraith

Post by Ringwraith » Thu May 18, 2017 12:35 am

Not really anything.
It's just a pain.
Although as you're being attacked by several guys, group style cuts through them pretty quick regardless of sword with its scaling-damage-per-foe.
Trix2000

Post by Trix2000 » Thu May 18, 2017 4:25 am

Yeah, there's not a huge amount of equipment management in that game if I recall correctly. There's a sword upgrade or two to get, but the main things are gonna be what you put your points into... and potions.

Finding the style that is effective against particular enemies is also a factor, though I think this evened out a lot later on as I put points in the different sword stances.
Ringwraith

Post by Ringwraith » Thu May 18, 2017 6:39 am

Group just kills any group of three or greater, the more there are, the quicker they fall.
Then it's "try strong unless they keep dodging then go for fast".
bitterpark

Post by bitterpark » Thu May 18, 2017 8:45 am

Steve C wrote: Well now I still haven't figured out how to sell anything. Even if I did, the total value of all my loot so far is probably less than $300 given the pathetic prices displayed on the inventory map.
From what I recall, the only place to sell things is the store in San Mona, nobody else buys anything. You can add your cash to the regular money though, I forget the exact UI steps, I think you have to drag it onto the money counter or something. The same process applies to any ore nuggets you find, as well. That way you can get up to $1200, which could probably buy you another merc, and by the sound of it you could use one.
I don't want a shotgun. I can't see ever wanting a shotgun. I have no trouble with combat at short range. It's long range that I can't do.
It still has noticeably longer range than pistols. The only problem with it is the lack of armor penetration, so it will only be useful in the early game, when enemies don't all have body armor.
I did know that. It's one of those things I can't figure out how to actually do it in the UI. I've got some t-shirts and alcohol. I can apparently rip the shirts and make rags. Then combine the rags with alcohol and make a molotov. I can't figure it out.
I think you right-click on an item, which brings up it's little description window, and then drag the item you want to combine with it into the little 2x2 grid of slots next to the picture. Normally this is used to add weapon attachments, but also to combine items, fill up magazines from a box, consolidate half-empty medkits and so on. Not sure how to rip t-shirts though, I didn't even know that was a thing. Combine them with a knife, maybe? Who knows.
I'm definitely going to head to the mines next. I'm actively avoiding combat now. I still like the game. I'm still not enjoying the actual experience of playing it.
You got stuck in the early game for longer than you should have, which happens to pretty much everyone on their first go. You just need to get some weapons with range longer than a stone's throw, get an ancient rifle or two. Things will go a lot smoother once you have real weapons. And some actual guys: using just the starting merc and Ira doesn't even count as two people, Ira sucks, she's like 0.3 of a dude in combat strength. I don't think I've ever done a combat in this game with less than 4 proper mercs, counting the starting guy. Anything less would probably be pretty miserable, yes.

I still say you should head northwest, to San Mona and the Chitzena mine. The patrols up north are not as strong or well equipped, and there aren't many of them, though you'll probably still run into a patrol or two. Could avoid the roads and go through the jungle, take your chances with the bloodcats. Not sure they're any easier though, but at least they drop pelts. And you can even get a new free team member in Chitzena.

Or dig in at Drassen, train up the militia and buy some rifles as soon as the online gunstore opens up. I think it opens once you take Drassen, I don't remember the exact trigger. There's also a setting in 1.13 to just have it open from the start, I think. Gear up, use the militia you've trained as meatshields and, I dunno, buy a bunch of landmines and plant them at the southern edge of the Drassen mine. I never actually fought the big, scary counterattack, I always just left.
Steve C

Post by Steve C » Thu May 18, 2017 10:01 am

I have now figured out the button presses to sell stuff like silver ore. I still haven't figured out the item combining yet. It's not a priority anyway. It didn't even occur to me that I could consolidate half-empty medkits. So that's good to know if I ever figure out how. The gunstore opened up soon as I took the airport. That's where it sends deliveries. I couldn't afford anything significant. I could afford a weapon or the ammo or overnight delivery. Just 1 of the 3. So... yeah. I'm waiting for a delivery for cheaper various QoL things like backpacks and gun cleaning kits. My guns are jamming so often that it counts for about 25% of my ammo consumption.

I straight up cannot afford a bigger team. My team consists of my starting guy (not min-maxed), Ira (0.7 of a dude because my team sucks), Barry (cheap but with room to grow) and Thor. Thor was expensive. Thor is well named as he is a combat god. He came with a silenced SMG that uses the most common ammo. He is amazing with it. He's got stealth, hand-to-hand and is a doctor. He also has managed to open every single lock with a single kick. I can rely on Thor. I cannot rely on anyone else on my team.

I avoided taking Drassen fully to avoid the counter attack you mentioned. Instead I took the mine and then the SAM site. I figured out how to get into the mine. It's just really hard to find the spot to click on. Fun fact- the SAM site is actually what triggers the counter attack. I haven't resolved that yet. I haven't decided what I want to do about it. I saved and started walking back. They take the airport first, (where I'm storing half my stuff) then the rest of the town (where I'm storing the other half). So if I don't defend I lose everything including the order I made. Except I cannot make it back in time by foot. I'd have to order the helicopter to come get me. Which will cost all of the money I got from the mine making me too poor to buy anything again. So... yeahhhhh.
lurkey

Post by lurkey » Thu May 18, 2017 11:01 am

SpammyV wrote:
When the only options are to say nothing and say her dads being weird what the hell option advances things?
Oh, that scene? I was thinking about different smooched vs smoochless scene. This one doesn't even have a smooch, so don't you worry.

Anyway, what I'm playing is Mass Effect Andromeda. So far it seems to be written by an AI that learned human interaction from "Learn English" vids -- proper grammar, proper syntax, people enunciate really earnestly, but nobody talks like that in real life. That would also explain why Andromeda -- the different galaxy -- is so trite and unoriginal, up to ancient race that went mysteriously extinct. It also has blue glowing mushrooms borrowed from every fantasy RPG that ever existed, the first planet to settle looks like Tattooine from SWTOR, friendly alien species look like a cross between mandrill and dusky leaf monkey and unfriendly ones look like collectors of ME2 crossed with whatever species Javik was.

Your character's profession is theoretically a Pathfinder, but actually it's PC -- Player Character aka "That chump who does everyone's job for them because he's the only competent person in universe". Oh, and he also runs around randomly clicking on alien devices without knowing what the hell they even are for. The ass-kissing he receives is toned down compared to Inquisition, though -- or maybe I'm just getting insensitive about that.

One HUGE pro over Inquisition -- nobody sang a hymn praising my PC. Yet. Fingers crossed.
bitterpark

Post by bitterpark » Thu May 18, 2017 11:14 am

Steve C wrote:I avoided taking Drassen fully to avoid the counter attack you mentioned. Instead I took the mine and then the SAM site. I figured out how to get into the mine. It's just really hard to find the spot to click on. Fun fact- the SAM site is actually what triggers the counter attack. I haven't resolved that yet. I haven't decided what I want to do about it. I saved and started walking back. They take the airport first, (where I'm storing half my stuff) then the rest of the town (where I'm storing the other half). So if I don't defend I lose everything including the order I made. Except I cannot make it back in time by foot. I'd have to order the helicopter to come get me. Which will cost all of the money I got from the mine making me too poor to buy anything again. So... yeahhhhh.
Sounds like you're up the creek then.

Honestly, at this point you may seriously consider restarting. Get a solid merc team together from the start, knock out the Drassen mine right away and just sit on it, or march north-west and take over Chitzena to operate from their mine. Should go a lot quicker now that you know what you're doing. You can also enable some 1.13 options to help you along, like full loot from dead enemies, or the setting that lets the militia you've trained in a town sector join you in fights in adjacent sectors. It's not cheating, it's realism!

Now that you have no team and no mine, it's not impossible to win, but it's very tough. People have done runs using only shitty $15-a-day M.E.R.C. guys, or only the starting merc and locals who join you for free, like Ira, just by training them up to be capable killers. But it's much easier to just do it with real mercs.
Steve C

Post by Steve C » Thu May 18, 2017 12:12 pm

If it gets to the point where I have to restart, that's it for me. I haven't been enjoying the act of playing the game enough to do it all over again. Every fight is long and drawn out.
bitterpark

Post by bitterpark » Thu May 18, 2017 1:59 pm

Steve C wrote:If it gets to the point where I have to restart, that's it for me. I haven't been enjoying the act of playing the game enough to do it all over again. Every fight is long and drawn out.
Yeah, but they're long and drawn out because you have bad equipment and shitty dudes. I'd say you should give it at least one more shot, just to see how it plays when you have a proper setup and you know what you're doing.
Humanoid

Post by Humanoid » Thu May 18, 2017 2:59 pm

If you do give it another shot, it'd probably be best to go for a fairly cookie-cutter initial squad to give yourself the best chance possible. Given how powerful Thor with an SMG feels for you, hiring an actual high-level merc with an actual rifle even for one day will pretty much let catch you up to where you are now without breaking a sweat. One day is a fair chunk of time at the start of the game, plenty of time to take Drassen. One week contracts for mid-range mercs file are fine too.

For the one carry, Lynx is the obvious choice: bonus if you take his gun immediately and use your IMP merc to clear out the starter town for a big chunk of XP. Reaper has a hidden bonus when on rooftops that the UI doesn't show and so is good for that purpose too. Then of course there's Gus for maximal cheese.

Then to that you add one cheaper merc with high marksmanship to take over the carry role once a day passes. There are plenty to choose from in the mid-range such as Hitman, Ice or Raven, or if pinching pennies, Buns and Grunty are solid budget options. Steroid or Fidel if you can stand them. Add a doctor and a mechanic (Wolf is fairly obvious) and it should get you off to a good start. Of course, not all of these people get along with each other...
bitterpark

Post by bitterpark » Thu May 18, 2017 11:48 pm

All this JA2 talk was making me too nostalgic, so I finally caved and started a new playthrough. I was also curious to see if it will actually hold up to everything I remember about it, or if it's just a case of rose-tinted goggles.

Got my 85 Marksmanship IMP guy, hired Sydney, Malice and MD to start.
Not the most optimal team setup, honestly, I was too eager to get into the action to think about it too much. Sydney is a great hitter, but he alone took half of the starting budget, and I didn't want to lower my standards for marksmanship so I hired Malice too, which left me with just enough money to get one of the third-raters. And I only got MD because I couldn't remember if Ira has medical skill or not, he's basically just as shitty as she is, his only advantage being 10 more points in Marksmanship (for a whopping total of 66). I'd wanted to get Fox, but was juuust a couple hundred dollars shy. And we have no mechanic whatsoever, guess I'll have to try and get Dimitri.

Whatever, the hitters are still good, and I'd been using the medics as scouts and forward observers. Played for a couple hours, cleared out Omerta, a random road patrol and the midsection of Drassen, had Ira shoot the factory manager in the head (god knows she wasn't gonna hit anyone else anytime soon). She does only have $500, so I completely misremembered it. And I found the little machine pistol Steve C was talking up, which... fuck, if that's his best weapon, no wonder he's having so much trouble. It's got 13 range, which isn't even good for pistols. My guys started with solid smgs with range 18-19, which has made the fights pretty unfair on the poor pistol-toting redshirts. I think the four of my mercs took a total of 6 damage between them, for some 20-25 hostiles killed, and the road patrol guys were even yellowshirts, though they still had handguns for weapons. I can't even imagine what hell it would have been to fight them without the extra guys and only using berettas and .38 specials.

Steve C, I salute you, you've got some major balls if you've even made it as far as capturing Drassen with that setup, holy hell. You've basically been playing the Jagged Alliance Soul Level 1 run this whole time.
Steve C

Post by Steve C » Fri May 19, 2017 1:17 am

I think you misunderstand me. I find every combat long, drawn out and grindy, not because of my weapons and mercs but because of (a) quantity of enemies and (b) the risk-reward ratios.

Having multiple good mercs isn't going to change that. Having good guns isn't going to change that either. (I don't see how it's possible to have both at the same time. Not at this point of the game, but w/e. That isn't really relevant to my point.) The core reason why fights are long and drawn out is that I'm fighting against 15 to 30 guys every combat. I might start a combat against 15 guys. The first thing they do is radio for reinforcements. They come in over the course of the battle. I'm fighting up to about 5 guys at a time. Of those, I'm only ever directly threatened by 1 at a time. I know how to be methodical and minimize risk in these kinds of games. However being methodical is very micro intensive and time consuming. (I'm pretty good at setting up good kill zones. I had one spot where enemies would run up to a door and then get shot in the back of the head. That square had headless corpses 10 deep.)

The problem is that I feel that I have to be methodical. I'm risking $35,000 worth of resources every fight for $350 worth of loot at the end of it. Because there are so many enemies, they don't need to be good. If I'm only giving them a 3% chance every turn then that's not going to favor me in the long term. I feel I have to be risk adverse all the time. It's not like in XCOM where if you lose a rookie it doesn't matter. Where scouts are expendable. You can afford to lose a rookie every single combat. You just order a new one. All the gear from the fight will more than cover the cost. In JA2, losing a brand new merc is a big deal.

Ordering in a merc for one day both does and does not make sense to me. I, of course, see the value of getting their better equipment. Except having the merc and/or their equipment does nothing to change the fact that I'm fighting two dozen guys. If I had 3x my starting money ($100,000) and bought a full team of the best mercs then it still wouldn't change anything. I'm still risking a lot of resources every fight for a small return. I still have to be careful on that basis. (The loot isn't money in the bank either. It is only a theoretical payout for when I finally fight my way to a gun store to sell my stuff.)

I did look at Lynx (who wasn't available) and Gus. Yeah their guns have good stats. Except I'm not finding that kind of ammo. All the mercs are in the same boat- I'm finding 9mm ammo. Mercs don't come with good guns that take 9mm ammo. (Thor was one of the very few that did.) I don't have enough money to buy ammo in the quantities I use every combat. I have to use what I find.

Let's say I had 3x the starting cash. Let's say I bought mercs, guns and ammo with my $100,000. I'm still fighting two dozen guys. I maybe killing them faster but I'm still getting the same loot at the end. I'm still faced with the choice to pick my shots carefully or burn through more resources per combat than I make. Four guns all going through ammo that has to be repurchased. Even if all my guys had heavy armor, (so I didn't need to spend so much effort protecting them from return fire) I'd still need to repair that armor. If I order up an expensive merc for a day, he still has to pay for himself in that day for it to be worth it. So I'd have to go looking for fights with him. (BTW: I don't know how hiring a merc to "clear out the starter town for a big chunk of XP" with my IMP merc when I already did that- solo.) If I hire a merc for a day and get him in 3 or 4 combats in the course of that day it is kind of like in the last combat it went wrong and he died. Either way it doesn't solve my problem. It solves a different problem I do not have. My guys are progressing. My guys don't take damage when they fight.

I'm not even complaining about the number of guys I have to fight. 30 can be a reasonable amount in a game like this. I don't think 30 is very reasonable at the very start of a game like this, but w/e. I'm managing. The problem is that it is very grindy in a JRPG-travelling-across-the-map kind of way. IE: Lots of time spent in combats that don't matter for little reward.
I can't even imagine what hell it would have been to fight them without the extra guys and only using berettas and .38 specials.
I'm not using those. (I can't! Ammo remember!) I've only found 6 bullets total for a .38 special. I use the 9mm guns and ammo the enemies have. I knock guys down, take the gun out of their hands and run away. Then shoot them in the head. (It's why I have all these janky jamming pistols.) The last guy on a map gets a beat down by Ira. There's something funny about a little NYC girl beating some guy to death with her bare hands with 2-4 dmg hits over the course of 3 turns.
bitterpark

Post by bitterpark » Fri May 19, 2017 9:05 am

Steve C wrote:I think you misunderstand me. I find every combat long, drawn out and grindy, not because of my weapons and mercs but because of (a) quantity of enemies and (b) the risk-reward ratios.

The core reason why fights are long and drawn out is that I'm fighting against 15 to 30 guys every combat.
See, that doesn't sound right. Having played a quick game just last night, I fought about 6 guys in both Omerta and Drassen, and then 8 guys in the road patrol.

Are you playing on difficulty above 'experienced'? Actually, it's possible that, because you've been stuck in the first town for so long, the game's progress value has gone up so much that you're behind the curve now, fighting against midgame odds with early game stuff. You're basically fighting Mutons with earth rifles and no armor researched.
Having multiple good mercs isn't going to change that. Having good guns isn't going to change that either.

If I had 3x my starting money ($100,000) and bought a full team of the best mercs then it still wouldn't change anything. I'm still risking a lot of resources every fight for a small return. I still have to be careful on that basis.
Having good dudes and good equipment would make things go a lot faster and smoother. It's one thing to minimize risk for a bunch of clowns hitting 40% shots over 10 tiles, it's another thing to do the same for guys who do 80% shots over 19. You end up doing a lot less babysitting.
I did look at Lynx (who wasn't available) and Gus. Yeah their guns have good stats. Except I'm not finding that kind of ammo. All the mercs are in the same boat- I'm finding 9mm ammo. Mercs don't come with good guns that take 9mm ammo. (Thor was one of the very few that did.) I don't have enough money to buy ammo in the quantities I use every combat. I have to use what I find.
Yeah, top guys probably don't use 9mm, but they're not affordable anyway. Both of the guys I got, Malice and Sydney, actually use 9 millies, which is very handy.

I don't really believe in the bring-a-guy-in-for-a-day strat either, honestly, I always hire people for at least one week.
Let's say I had 3x the starting cash. Let's say I bought mercs, guns and ammo with my $100,000. I'm still fighting two dozen guys. I maybe killing them faster but I'm still getting the same loot at the end.
Loot is irrelevant, it's your mine income that determines how many resources you can burn in a given fight.
I'm not even complaining about the number of guys I have to fight. 30 can be a reasonable amount in a game like this. I don't think 30 is very reasonable at the very start of a game like this, but w/e. I'm managing. The problem is that it is very grindy in a JRPG-travelling-across-the-map kind of way. IE: Lots of time spent in combats that don't matter for little reward.
Yeah, the combat doesn't reward, it's meant as a drain on resources first and foremost. If you approach it from that perspective, the best solution is usually not to fight, except then the enemies will eventually make their way to your stuff, so you have to fight them to prevent further loss, rather than to achieve a gain.

Here's a few suggestions I have to make the game gel better with your style: open the INI Editor in the game's folder, and enable some extra settings: allow militia to move and fight in adjacent sectors, allow selling items from sector inventory by alt+click, make enemies drop all of their items.

This should make the game a lot more X-Com-like: the militia goons can act as your rookies and shock troops, and are expendable, being $750 per batch. A team of expendable militia can act like rookies, and offset the risk of losing your precious guys. You can take a square of a town, sit there and train up militia, and then call them in when you move on to the following squares. I mean, if the enemies can call in reinforcements from adjacent sectors, you should be able to as well, right? Though I think there's also a setting to turn off adjacent enemy reinforcements, which should also make the fights a lot more manageable. Whichever you prefer.
There's even a setting that enables giving them general orders, like Attack or Fall Back, but that's not really important.

Then, if you have full loot and selling enabled, the game can be a lot more like X-Com: you do a fight, you get a bunch of reward cash from selling trophies. Probably won't be enough to finance your campaign, but then it wasn't enough in X-Com either, that's why you had state funding as well (or, in this case, mine funding).

P.S. I found out how to consolidate medkits! First, you click the one you want to pour stuff out of, then you rclick the one you want to put stuff into, and put the first one into one of the slots to the right, which should proportionately alter their level of filled-ness. You can do the same with mags too, but they have to be the same type of mag, for some reason. It's also possible that this is yet another 1.13 setting I enabled and forgot about, but I think it's non-optional.
bitterpark

Post by bitterpark » Fri May 19, 2017 3:00 pm

Steve C wrote:I'm risking $35,000 worth of resources every fight for $350 worth of loot at the end of it. Because there are so many enemies, they don't need to be good. If I'm only giving them a 3% chance every turn then that's not going to favor me in the long term. I feel I have to be risk adverse all the time. It's not like in XCOM where if you lose a rookie it doesn't matter. Where scouts are expendable. You can afford to lose a rookie every single combat. You just order a new one. All the gear from the fight will more than cover the cost. In JA2, losing a brand new merc is a big deal.
I completely forgot this feature even existed, because I'd never bothered with it. But you can actually get life insurance for your contracts, for very reasonable rates. I checked it out, and it cost me ~$500 to ensure Syndey's week-long contract, and he's a mid-to-top tier guy. That's affordable even on the shoestring starting budget, and the payout is their daily rate * number of days lost when the guy dies.
Steve C

Post by Steve C » Fri May 19, 2017 4:49 pm

So insurance effectively means if a guy dies you get a refund for the time he did not work? That seems lackluster. The only way that sounds useful is if it is straight up exploited. IE hire a guy with good gear, shoot him in the head soon as he arrives, and then cash out the insurance. I guess it's good if you hire a guy for a 2 week contract with the intention of doing risky things with him until he dies.
Wide And Nerdy

Post by Wide And Nerdy » Fri May 19, 2017 5:22 pm

Trix2000 wrote:
Wide And Nerdy wrote: The ending of that level was fairly hilarious. In most games, once you beat the baddie and free the thingy, you get a little reward song and auto exit the level. In this game? You have to nearly flawlessly complete a long sequence of upward dash jumps through anchors, enemies, and projectiles and use your double jump as well to get up out of the tree before it floods. Thankfully, they automatically create a save point right before the waves start to rise and if you made it this far, the dash jumps aren't too hard but they're probably the hardest part of the level.
It's not the only time this happens, either. The later stuff gets pretty tricky, but I managed it in a reasonable amount of time so I don't think it's too bad. A hard game, definitely, but not so much a punishing one.
You're not kidding. The next actual "level" or dungeon or whatever (the next time you're not in the larger worldspace) I think objectively has flaws. I don't want to impose orthodoxy here but I feel like this defies how games are supposed to work.

Start with a pet peeve. I hate it when a game takes away the tools you've been given.

I was also not a fan of having to get used to thinking of Right and Left on my controller as clockwise and counter-clockwise. Especially with the way the orientation of gravity switches as you walk around the platforms. Though after a while it started to be fun to exploit your ability to switch back to normal gravity.

I think I would have liked it a bit more if more of the level was toy and less of it was unforgivingly lethal. The level didn't even teach me how the mechanic worked before dropping me into situations where my inability to immediately grasp the behavior resulted in instant death. Now granted, one of your powers in this game is "Spawn Save Point" and you have infinite lives but its still annoying.

Then remember how last time I told you the game rewarded dungeon completion with yet another burst of grindingly lethal play? We they did that again, only this time it was completely different from what I'd spent the level doing, and in fact it was different from anything I'd done up till that point and with very little margin for error. You're gliding up these updrafts and having to dodge falling spikes and bursting geysers using an all new literally floaty movement scheme. Again, if it weren't for the copious amount of save points and the infinite lives, this kind of level design would be unforgivable.

. . .

But thats where my hesitation comes in. Is this really unforgivable? You have infinite lives. You're saving near the hard part so there's very little punishment. And its not "I Wanna Be the Guy" levels of hard or I promise you, I'd have never beaten it.

So many games use the Mario or Mega Man approaches to design because so many videos have been done on them both at this point. But those games had to be "fair" and had to teach you the rules as they went because you had finite lives and losing a life because the game lied to you was the height of frustration.

But Ori and the Blind Forest can actually just say "we're going to skip the tutorial and get right to the part of the level we actually wanted to design. You can learn by dying over and over again till you beat it. Have fun!"

Is this valid?
SpammyV

Post by SpammyV » Fri May 19, 2017 9:54 pm

So I may have overbooked myself crops-wise for fall in Stardew Valley. Luckily though one of these fields is a short-term crop so once that goes in a few days I can cut my watering load a bit. I did make my goal during the summer of saving up enough to pay for the house upgrade and to start upgrading my tools. Only it turns out that surprise surprise the man will only take one tool at once to upgrade and I did the ax first since it was first on the menu. So now I have to wait until the end of fall to upgrade my watering pan. Oh well.

My standing policy is that I don't trust wizards. Even the tiny wizards in the old community center. But the tiny wizards do pay well, which puts me in a bind.

For real though I do actually like the community center quests providing some long-term goals. Thank god the developers realized they needed to let you turn in stuff one item at a time instead of having to deliver all the items at once.

Oh, and I have to run to the card store and get something for the fishing minigame. I think what I'm looking for says "I'm sorry..." on the cover and then you open it up and the inside reads, "...that you're so terrible."
The Rocketeer

Post by The Rocketeer » Sat May 20, 2017 12:29 am

Today, finished up something I've picked at over a few years: 100%-ing Demon's Souls.

In contrast to any of the "Dark Soul" cheevos earned for nabbing every other cheevo in the three Dark Souls games, which are major pains in the ass, earning Demon's Souls' "Toughest Soul" ur-trophy is an immense pain in the dick. Partly because grinding for upgrade materials in Demon's is worse than grinding for anything in any other Souls game, and partly because you have to do a considerable amount of NG+ to earn a handful of the trophies, and NG+ in Demon's Souls is brutal beyond reason. That, and if you screw up your character tendency or world tendency (don't ask), you can end up putting some goals just out of reach until the next game cycle. Not necessarily a big deal if you were already planning on continuing to the next game cycle for other reasons, but pretty much a total dealbreaker otherwise.