This week I have been mostly playing...

grahams_xwing

Re: This week I have been mostly playing...

Postby grahams_xwing » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:50 am

*****Finished Game Klaxon*****

Unepic is done. Overall, a good irreverent romp. Has it's flaws and weird difficulty spikes in places but funny and seems to exist purely to play to some cliches while subverting others with glee.
Shortly before the final level you get to essentially randomly pick the ending of the game ahead of time. Don't know if there are mulitple endings but it's a 'pick a box from a choice of three and that's your fate' prophesy deal

The final boss is..... surprisingly unexpected. Harkanon is built up to be the big bad who's enslaving a series of god-like essences. But when you meet him he appears as a kind of Dungeon Keeper Boss. He's obviously magically capable of fighting you, and even claims that every time you died he was resurrecting you, but rather than fight you himself has minions to do everything and in fact - HE has a mission hes trying to complete that isn't limited just to stopping you, instead you end up [SERIOUSLY SPOILERY] fighting both along side him and even as him (in a clever character switch mechanic) to defeat some invading elves. You fight your way through 'a fucking ewok village' worth of elves to destroy a portal while Harkanon fights off the waves of enemies that make through the portal. Every 90 seconds or so you get a countdown to the next wave, prompting you to leave your character in a safe space and switch back to help fight the incoming wave. What really makes this tricky is that whereas you've spent 15hrs with your character and his skill set, Harkanon has a completely different set of 12 spells, summons and attacks that you have to learn in 30 second blocks to keep the hordes at bay.

Once you defeat the elves, Harkanon shows his more evil side and promptly has you killed, releasing Zera, the spirit that possessed you, who then points out that as you were the guy who eventually made it through and defeated the elves, Harkanon doesn't want him as a vengeful spirit in his castle. THEN you go back to the real world and of course no time has passed and your friends dont believe your story except for the single gold coin still in your pocket. It then cuts to the future where the earlier prophesy plays out - mine was 'I will live in eternal torment'. What this turned out to mean was living in a house with a gf but not being able to afford to live month to month. THIS then cuts to a guy sat at a PC complaining how shit the end is and going to the forums to complain and Zera teleports into the room with some skeletons and kills him. THEN the game breaks the 4th wall and suggests you go to the forums and post about how great the ending was.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:00 pm

... Rimworld. This game has been on my short list for a long time now. I put off getting it because "Alpha" releases scare me. They tend to be missing the secret ingredient that needs to be added in polishing stages to make it fun. Rimworld is straight fun. I played it all day Sunday. When I say all day I mean -all- day. It has me hooked. Rimworld is the reason why I wanted to play Dwarf Fortress. (Dwarf Fortress is the reason I don't play Dwarf Fortress.)

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do to 'win' or even if winning is possible. I don't really have any goals. I suppose I could aim for going to the north pole where a ship is apparently waiting for me. I don't plan to anytime soon. There's all the evil organ harvesting I could dabble in that I've read about except I don't see why I would do that either. I'm not sure what I would do with a bunch of spare organs. I would like to make allies with other factions. I'm not sure that's possible beyond simply trading with them or wiping them out and keeping their stuff. I would like a suggestion of what I should be working towards. My only goal right now seems to be to store up food. I went through a heat wave with the help of my freezer. I assume winter will happen eventually. How much food will be enough?

There was a friendly wandering "mad scientist" that wandered by early in my game. I considered capturing him. He would have been perfect as he had all the stats I was missing. He was a chain smoking intellectual without morals. Capturing him would have been declaring war on his tribe. I didn't know what the consequences of my 4 guys declaring war on my neighbors would have been so I never tried. Should I have done it anyway?

BTW one thing I thought was odd is that you don't need to care about water and sewage. I'm kind of surprised given the type of game this is. I'm fine without it. It doesn't feel like anything is missing. Just unexpected. The only way it has impacted me is that I set up next to a river because I figured water would be more important than it is.

Edit: No guides mention it (I'm first!) but I figured out pretty early is that the best floors are plain dirt. Yay dirt. My first bedrooms were in a field of dandelions. I had impressive bedrooms just from the dandelions. The bedroom I was putting effort into was the worst one. So now all my rooms are filled with daylilies. Prisoners love it. One problem is I need to replant every week. Not a big deal because that's mitigated by not needing to clean the floors- ever. Plus the guy planting has a green thumb so he's always super happy. I just wish there was a way to prioritize planting over harvesting. He keeps getting distracted because a single berry bush somewhere is ready.
John

Postby John » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:46 pm

. . . Crusader Kings II. So this week, I learned that feudal emperors cannot bestow kingdom-level titles on their tribal vassals. My character, the emperor of Scandinavia, had four kingdom-level titles and two sons. One son was poised to inherit the empire and the kingdom of Suomi (Finland), while the other son would get Lappi, Sweden, and Norway. If my current character were to die, his successor would be faced with an extremely powerful vassal with a strong claim to all of his titles. In order to head off the inevitable civil war, I wanted to give away two of the kingdom titles so that the extra son would inherit just one kingdom. But when I went to grant titles to my preferred High Chiefs, the kingdom titles that I wanted to bestow didn't appear on the list. At first, I thought it was some quirk of succession mechanics, since the empire and Suomi had ultimogeniture succession while the other three kingdoms all had some flavor of gavelkind. I eventually resolved the situation by switching Lappi's succession law to ultimogeniture and having an extra son. Now the youngest son will inherit the empire, Suomi, and Lappi while the other two sons get one kingdom each. Sometime later, when I went to bestow the High Chiefdom of Iceland on one of the chiefs there, I was surprised to find that I had the option to grant him a kingdom-level title. I was confused until I realized he was a feudal ruler and that the high chiefs I'd been looking at earlier were tribal rulers. Who knew?
Narratorway

Postby Narratorway » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:02 pm

System Shock: I found a Lightsaber!

Y'know, for all the bitching (rightly so mind) of the needlessly complex keyboard controls this game has, I love the fact that all of that can by bypassed entirely by the mouse. This is easily one of the most complex shooters I've ever played, but the only keys I've touched are the four movement ones. To be fair, a lot of that has to do with the fact you can't remap the keys. The end result of this setup is a very tactile sensation when doing anything in the game. My first real taste of this kind of kinaesthetics was when I first played Amnesia, with its 'mouse mimics hand movement' setup and I found that was totes mah jam and while this game skews just a leetle too much into the complex side, I'm still havin a ball! If the RE series had set itself up this way, I'd be a lot more reticent towards the 'it's bad on purpose' excuse people always trot out for those shitty games.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:46 am

While I still have a lot left to do for my now-seemingly-interminable quest to one day 100% Fatal Frame III, I lost steam for the game before writing about it last; one of the things that stood between me and that goal before was that unlocking everything in that game requires a lot more play than either of the two previous games. I'd need one more playthrough on Normal just to finish earning enough points and beefing up my parameters enough to be ready for either another playthrough on Nightmare, or trying to ace Mission Mode, which expects you to have maxed capabilities to earn many S Ranks. Much as I love the game (obviously), that's a bridge too far right now.

So, I ended up back in none other than Dark Souls III once more, trying out a Faith build for the first time in this game. I have mixed feelings about it; unfortunately, I'm not finding miracles very useful, not at all as vital a skill in combat as sorcery or pyromancy, so aside from casting a little regeneration miracle every now and then and chucking the occasional lightning spear when I want to bait a distant enemy, this build really isn't very different from a regular STR/DEX melee build, except I'm using weapons that scale off of FTH some way or another. Which would be fine, but I'm finding there aren't many interesting weapons that accommodate a Faith build. Lightning isn't nearly as fun, useful, or accessible as fire, and of the few Faith-centric unique weapons there are, most come very late in game, with Wolnir's Holy Sword being the big exception. I'm getting that feeling I had with my pyromancer build that all the fun toys are walled off until damn near the end of the game, except worse this time. Really, it's sort of a problem I've had with the series in general, but it's definitely more acute in DSIII and much worse for some builds over others.

So, despite my desire to try out something new, I've pretty much just ended up fighting in melee the whole game with a greatsword and the heaviest shield I can carry. Which is pretty much the most standard way to play Dark Souls, and the way I've played more than any other... so, I can't be too upset, since it's how I'm most comfortable enjoying the game, even if my original plan did collapse. All I really wanted was one more good offensive miracle.

Even at all that, defeating the notoriously lethal Dancer of the Boreal Valley on the first attempt by bleeding her over and over with Dorhys' Gnawing might be enough by itself to have made the build worth it.
AileTheAlien

Postby AileTheAlien » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:18 pm

Steve C wrote:I didn't know what the consequences of my 4 guys declaring war on my neighbors would have been so I never tried. Should I have done it anyway?

If you get red/negative status with a faction, they'll attack you, just like the "raiders" that always show up in the game. In fact, those are just a faction that started the game hostile towards you. The other thing to note, is that if you capture and release prisoners healthy, about half the time you'll get a boost of +15 to that faction, so you can eventually be friendly with all the factions. Personally, I try to only capture spacers/crash-landers, so I don't get faction penalties, but I also sometimes play a cannibal colony that harvests organs...

Steve C wrote:BTW one thing I thought was odd is that you don't need to care about water and sewage. I'm kind of surprised given the type of game this is. I'm fine without it. It doesn't feel like anything is missing. Just unexpected.

I think the dev's official stance is that toilets / plumbing would be tedious if added to Rimworld, although I might be conflating that with the general opinion of the user-base. Personally, I'd actually like to have it in the game, since it seems arbitrary to me that I need to deal with disease, food stockpiles, building individual wall chunks, but somehow an outhouse is the thing that's deemed too boring to add to the game. There's mods, although the graphics are completely different quality / art style, and most have other features I don't want bundled into the same mod, and the ones I tried seemed pretty unbalanced. :)

Steve C wrote:I figured out pretty early is that the best floors are plain dirt. Yay dirt. My first bedrooms were in a field of dandelions. I had impressive bedrooms just from the dandelions. The bedroom I was putting effort into was the worst one. So now all my rooms are filled with daylilies. Prisoners love it. One problem is I need to replant every week. Not a big deal because that's mitigated by not needing to clean the floors- ever. Plus the guy planting has a green thumb so he's always super happy. I just wish there was a way to prioritize planting over harvesting. He keeps getting distracted because a single berry bush somewhere is ready.

I thought indoor dirt couldn't be planted, but maybe I'm wrong. Seems like a bug / oversight to me, although I'll be making use of it now (on vacation this week) before I ask on the forums if it should be fixed... :) Another good floor is smooth rock. It gives +3 beauty, compared to dirt/gravel's -1, and the +4 of the most-expensive gold floors. It makes a mountain or hill-side colony very viable, although it's one more thing that's slow compared to building out in the open.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:35 pm

The other thing to note, is that if you capture and release prisoners healthy, about half the time you'll get a boost of +15 to that faction,
Is it mandatory that they be healthy? That's a lot harder than simply releasing them. The whole visitor thing is a little weird. (Understatement!) It's really hard to be actively nice without it going horribly wrong and them all dying. I've got a story about that I'll put at the end.

I thought indoor dirt couldn't be planted, but maybe I'm wrong. Seems like a bug / oversight to me, although I'll be making use of it now

There's a lot of little "wait, what?" quirks like that. It does work indoors. Although technically I don't do it indoors. That has more to do with my own policy against roofs. I don't have a lot of "indoors" to work with. Roofs for storage, sure. I don't see any benefit to roofs in other rooms except for temperature control. Therefore my bedrooms don't have roofs, not over the beds at least. I don't bother with lamps as without roofs the sun is good enough. One of the quirks is that colonists don't care about being rained on all night but they do care about light. The hole just above their beds also creates a quirky temperature interaction. It gets full sunlight while being slightly colder than the rest of the room and colder than outside. It's how I got through the heatwave that was 50C in the rain. (Can't imagine that damp hell.) My roofless colonists didn't even start complaining about "sleeping in the heat" until it was over 45C.

Rimworld Story time: A story of attempted mutual friendship.
I was only trying to be nice!

A friendly group visited from a neighboring village to "help me". Didn't need the help and couldn't figure out how how to interact with them. Apparently they'll help if I'm attacked. Ok. Cool. My hunter does his thing and a fox goes for "revenge". I just walk to my butchering table when that happens. Saves me carrying the corpse. The villagers spring into action, comedy style. They rush to meet the menace with blades drawn and open fire with rocket launchers, LMGs, molotovs and everything else. The glorious battle is over and the fox lays dying. I have to walk back to finish it off myself. (Thanks for the help.) None of the villagers are down either. The forest is on fire, along with two of the idiots, half of them are injured, and one shot through the heart. He's fine. Except he's going to die in a few hours. A few of the other ones have a day or two to live.

I put the forest-fire-fox out and try to figure out how to save these idiots. There is no option for, "Dude. You're on fire. Please put yourself out." Nor is there a "You've been shot in the heart. Are you sure you don't want to sit down for a moment?" I start saving the game before anything I try. (I just know this going to be quirky as all hell. Boy is it.) Forcing the mortally wounded into a hospital bed is a declaration of war against their tribe. They all open fire. Except that's the only option I can figure out that can tend their wounds. I just let them deal with it themselves and hope I can save the people they leave behind.

Without any options to prevent it, I let them wander around. And wander they do. They proceed to bleed on everything. Their doctor (badly named "Doc") does nothing about it. There's a 20x20 area in the center of my village that's just soaked in blood. They like hanging around in my freezer for some reason. They are going in and out so much that it's now a fridge. I can't get them to stop trying to fill it with their blood so I'm forced to wall it off. That catches some of them inside. All them go nuts beating on random walls regardless of where they are. I try again a bunch of times until I'm finally able to keep them out. Why do they want in there? I don't know. They are getting an extremely cold mood debuff when they are inside. It's already chilly outside and -29C inside. Prevented from being idioticles they now decide that the new 'cool' place to be is on the far side of the freezer. They walk all around my previously blood free self cleaning base. The blood soaked area is now 30x30. My rice field is so red it looks like my rose garden, (also drenched in blood.) It's going to take an entire day of nothing but cleaning to deal with just that. "Dude you'll be dead before dawn. Are you sure you don't want me to plug that literal hole in your heart?

The group of idiots head out before dawn. All said, I consider that a win. They should make it. I don't need their corpses in the center of town. Surprise surprise! Mad squirrel attack in the night. Bigger surprise: they handle it without problems. It does slow down their already limping exit. (Toes were lost in the fox attack.) Then a single raider decides to attack my village on a suicide charge armed with a club... straight through the mass of idiots. I expect another self inflicted blood bath and instead they complete ignore him. (I guess when they decided to "leave" that they were off the clock for "helping me".) I deal with raider and while I do so Bon-Jovi-heart-guy finally falls to the ground. He could have made it to his lifelong goal of dying on the road except for chasing the squirrel. Now I can save his stupid ass. I didn't know I was dooming them all.

The rest of the idiots mill around at the edge of the map suffering from their fatal case of stupidity. I never expected that. I expected them to simply leave as each one made it to the edge. That's what other groups do. Plus they all hate this guy. He's ugly, abrasive and got minuses all around. He spent the previous day insulting everyone with functional hearts. Which brings us to their mood.

The idiots didn't bring food with them because... idiots? I left food out for them and they ignored it. It wouldn't have mattered. Their penalties are a mile long. All their meters are at zero. Mood, comfort, beauty, food, rest... all zero. Arguing in blood soaked freezer does that. They are all in pain, standing in pools of their own blood, half frozen, with "Doc" still not doing anything about it. At least now he has an excuse. "Doc" is almost dead from infection. Walking through blood soaked fields is a bad idea for keeping your foot wounds clean. (I know I'm saying "blood" a lot. If I can't get over how much blood they made, neither can you.) One guy who managed to stay completely uninjured drops from deep withdrawal even though he has joints on him. (I respect his willpower if not his intelligence.) I successfully rescue and feed the leader of the group. Ironically it will be the fox that will kill him. While I was busy dealing with the rest of his merry band, he left at max at crawl speed on his extremely gangrenous foot. (Fox bit off a toe.) I guess he knows I want to amputate. I just couldn't figure out how without declaring war. He's going to die before he gets to the edge.

When I saw that, that's where I left it. I turned off my computer and went to bed. I'm not going to be able to win the war against stupid in a single night.

The rest the idiots are of course breaking and fighting each other. They keep dropping and I keep trying to save them from themselves. My previous comment was about goals... now I have a goal. I've decided to help these idiots even if it kills them all. If I have to build a hospital around the whole lot of them, capture them and force them not to die then I'll do it. That's not going to be an easy job. I'm only going to try if at the end of it they appreciate what I've done.
--------

Sooooooo.... I ask again: Is it mandatory that they be healthy when releasing them? I might be able to escort idiots to the edge of the map before they die of their self inflicted wounds. There's no way I can heal them faster than they can hurt themselves. Certainly not if they all wait at the edge of the map for the last guy. They are never all going to be healthy all at the same time. If I have to declare war at this point to save them, I will. But not if it ends up in war after. My goal is to actually be nice. Besides, that faction could take me in a shooting war.
AileTheAlien

Postby AileTheAlien » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:13 am

Steve C wrote:I ask again: Is it mandatory that they be healthy when releasing them?

Healthy release is only for prisoners. When raiders come to attack you and you somehow manage to incapacitate them, you can heal them while in prison, then release them for a bonus when they exit the map.

Taking somebody prisoner who was not already hostile (i.e. raiders attacking your base) is considered a hostile action - you're declaring war on a peaceful tribe. In real life (or hopefully a future update) you would offer first aid to friendly people on your land, but in the game as it is right now, you just have to let them get better on their own, die of their wounds, or wander off of the map bleeding. There is no way to drag them to a medical bed in a peaceful, non-war-declaring way in the current game.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:24 pm

AileTheAlien wrote:Taking somebody prisoner who was not already hostile (i.e. raiders attacking your base) is considered a hostile action - you're declaring war on a peaceful tribe. In real life (or hopefully a future update) you would offer first aid to friendly people on your land, but in the game as it is right now, you just have to let them get better on their own, die of their wounds, or wander off of the map bleeding. There is no way to drag them to a medical bed in a peaceful, non-war-declaring way in the current game.

Right. I understood that already. I'm asking if after I take a friendly faction prisoner (and now at war and no longer friendly) do those prisoners have to be healthy on release to count towards repairing relations? How healthy is healthy? Some of them aren't going to be able to keep their diseased limbs and be healthy.

What I want to do is:
1)Capture them for their own good (declaring war).
2)Give them the best medieval style medical help.
3)Release them as soon as possible. (Soon as they can walk or earlier.)
4)Not have a war after I'm done.
5)Do all the above as quickly as possible.

I want to know if that will work before I try it. It's not going to be an easy nor quick process.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:40 pm

Playing Divinity Original Sin 2. My first new game in a while.

Finally just an hour before this post I got out of the prison. I've been playing since Friday. I'm still stuck with the Source dampening collars. So yeah, its one of those games. I can't say I'm a fan of games that do that. At least with the Elder Scrolls games (the three I've played) you get funneled out of prison very quickly. I know there are a lot of little side quests in the prison, I didn't care. I plowed through to try to get out of the prison and after one escape method didn't pan out and dumped me back in the prison (kind of predictably), I was done jumping through hoops. I just killed the guards at the gate and broke out that way. I'm playing on easy so I'm not sure I could recommend this option for every player.

I'm still on the island and collared so I might as well still be in jail.

What makes it frustrating is the game system has so much to offer. I'm eager to get to the game proper. I can see how the interactivity of the environments is going to be a lot of fun. I can see how the tags and reputation systems should be great for RP if used properly (we'll see). Frankly there's a lot in this engine I'd like to see in every RPG. I feel like the ideal RPG would have a mix of the DOS2 and Pillars of Eternity systems DOS2 with some Pillars thrown in. Not sure who I'd want to do the writing.
AileTheAlien

Postby AileTheAlien » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:57 pm

Steve C wrote:I understood that already. I'm asking if after I take a friendly faction prisoner (and now at war and no longer friendly) do those prisoners have to be healthy on release to count towards repairing relations? How healthy is healthy? Some of them aren't going to be able to keep their diseased limbs and be healthy.

What I want to do is:
1)Capture them for their own good (declaring war).
2)Give them the best medieval style medical help.
3)Release them as soon as possible. (Soon as they can walk or earlier.)
4)Not have a war after I'm done.
5)Do all the above as quickly as possible.

I want to know if that will work before I try it. It's not going to be an easy nor quick process.

1. Don't declare war. You've only got a chance at reparations, so if your ultimate goal is peace, just don't declare war in the first place.
2. This seems reasonable, but contradicts what you say later...
3. You need to fully heal them. Bandage all wounds (especially bleeding, but also the bruises) and let those wounds heal fully. Treat all diseases until they've not only become immune, but the disease is cleared from their body. Scars or missing limbs seem to be acceptable, but I don't know exactly how the game decides what's good enough, or if there's a dice-roll involved.
4. You should just not declare war in the first place. See #1.
5. If you want speed, letting them die of their own wounds, wander off on their own, or heal on their own are the most expedient options.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:33 pm

"Give them the best medieval style medical help" is a joke statement. IE cut off some limbs, stop the bleeding and send them home as soon as the only thing that can help is bed rest.

5. If you want speed, letting them die of their own wounds, wander off on their own, or heal on their own are the most expedient options.
Well yeah, of course. But it's a sandbox game where you make your own goals. I decided I want to help them. Given what you've written it sounds like it won't be possible.

There is another problem. It is my understanding that if a friendly dies to anything on my screen that I take a -5 faction relation hit. There are enough of them that I'll be at war just from that if they all die. I can't prevent them from dying before they leave the map. They will all kill each other from mental breaks before they leave my screen. They will still do it with fists even if I take away their weapons.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:18 pm

POKEMON SUN! I had a suspicion that they'd nerfed Confusion and I was right. On the one hand, I can get screwed over completely by Confuse Ray. On the other hand, I can't just Confuse Ray everything I fight and win. RIP Confuse Ray, you were a good move until this generation.

Also, every time I meet these Aether Foundation people they seem more and more benevolent, so clearly they must be evil. No need to correct me with spoilers, all my years of playing video game experience has left me 100% sure that I'm right.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:39 am

Sorry to post again but it is just ridiculous trying to get off this island. I don't know how many times I thought I was finally out of here only to find out I have a whole other quest in front of me to get out. Just one more thing. Oh wait just one more thing after that. I've already forgotten half of it or I'd list it here just to show you how ridiculous it is.

Now I'm finally on the boat only, wouldn't you know it, this is a living boat so we need to go on yet another quest to find the thing to help us control the boat.

I'm calling it now. When we finally do get this thing sailing we're going to have a fight, the boat will be destroyed, and we'll be washed up on another prison island. The game is just going to be a long series of prison island escapes. Yay!
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:42 am

So I think actually the island conceit works really well? You've got a single clear objective for most of it (escape the prison), with multiple different ways to do it.
My co-op group has just pretty much done everything we can, or at least, from people still alive, and about to leave it forever, never to return, after an inevitable messy confrontation.
One which I mostly was petrified for, and was the only with the ability to cure it.. in my inventory. Whoops.
Also lots of fire, so much fire.

Also, honestly, your source abilities aren't too flash when you do get them, have to be used sparingly between the ability to top up, and they complicate things quite a bit further, so it'll make sense why you don't have them just yet. You do get them before you leave though.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:05 am

I'm generally tired of the whole trope of RPGs starting you off as a prisoner, but eh, in this case it wasn't too constricting. Hell, the only practical effect of the collar is that you can't equip another necklace for stats. From a narrative perspective it's kinda weird, it's meant to stop you from casting source magic, but even if the collar didn't exist, you still wouldn't be able to cast anything anyway until the plot progresses.

It is pretty silly that the moment you step outside the fort on the west side, all the magisters will psychically know you've escaped and instantly turn hostile. I've just stepped out of a sewer pipe and then 5 seconds later I stepped back in, now there are a whole bunch of red dots on my minimap. Yeah...

Also there's an irritating bit of quest scripting on the ship at the end of the act. You need a book to awaken the ship. But reading the book doesn't do anything. I spent way too much time clicking on everything else in the book before finding out that you need to pick up the book to progress the quest, not read it. And this is a regular, ordinary non-magical book. Dumb dumb dumb dumb design.
Sudanna

Postby Sudanna » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:11 am

i get the feeling i'm not going to get very far in this divinity either, cuz i have spent several hours just systematically pickpocketing everyone for everything. and i hate it, but i must do it.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:24 am

It does have the weirdest pickpocketing system I've seen though. You can only pickpocket any NPC once, ever, even if you have multiple thieves. And because for important vendors, their loot regenerates every time you level with higher-level stuff, you're better off waiting until you're sure you're about to leave for good (at which point you can freely murder everyone).

Then there's the fact that NPCs will automatically know within a few seconds that they've been pickpocketed, and being genre-savvy they will automatically accuse the player of being the culprit. You can talk your way out of it, but failure or outright refusal to let them search you leads to attempted murder. So you're incentivised to do the opposite of being subtle and bolt out of dialogue range as soon as you've lifted the goods. Or drop it or transfer it to a party member or put it in a container somewhere. It's metagamey nonsense. But then I've heard the NPC might, having found no evidence, attacks you anyway "because you look guilty".
Sudanna

Postby Sudanna » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:54 am

it's also kind of extremely easy, since you can have one character talk to the target while the thief does the pickpocketing at basically no risk.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:53 am

I think you've described the exact reason why you cannot endlessly pickpocket people.
I have thus far ended up with a stack of valuables to trade though, and that's split between multiple people.
Also the fact several skill trainers ended up dead in various ways did supply the book front.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:20 pm

Ringwraith wrote:So I think actually the island conceit works really well? You've got a single clear objective for most of it (escape the prison), with multiple different ways to do it.
My co-op group has just pretty much done everything we can, or at least, from people still alive, and about to leave it forever, never to return, after an inevitable messy confrontation.
One which I mostly was petrified for, and was the only with the ability to cure it.. in my inventory. Whoops.
Also lots of fire, so much fire.

Also, honestly, your source abilities aren't too flash when you do get them, have to be used sparingly between the ability to top up, and they complicate things quite a bit further, so it'll make sense why you don't have them just yet. You do get them before you leave though.

It's not the mechanics of the collar that bug me. It's the narrative. I just don't like playing prisoners or criminals mostly. It can be satisfying to break out but making it all of Act One was too much for my taste. In the future I'm going to use save files that start me off the island. The mirror let's you respec and rechoose the party so it's a good starting point. Maybe someone will make a "Skip Fort Joy" mod down the road.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:37 pm

Well, your "crime" was merely happening to have a certain magical power, and it's pretty quickly clear it's just to corral all of them in one place away from everyone else, and not really because they're danger to people, the ones that are dangerous simply don't get caught.
Though I think Fort Joy is enough of a toy box of solutions, depending on what you do, that replaying that section is probably wildly different.
There may be less wanton murder involved!
Maybe.
John

Postby John » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:25 pm

. . . XCOM: Enemy Within. Finished another run on Normal. Played with more gene-mods and augments. I think I've come around on the subject of mimetic skin. It's actually darn useful in the final mission, since a stealthed volunteer can hit both of the sectopods with a rift before they have a chance to move apart. (This is presumably also possible with the Ghost armor, now that I think of it. It's probably easier with the mimetic skin, though, because Ghost stealth only lasts for a turn.) I still think that mimetic skin is overrated but I get the appeal now. I also turned a major-level sniper into a MEC. MECs with decent aim are my new favorite thing. I've messed around a little with both Classic difficulty and Ironman mode, though not at the same time because I am not a masochist. Turns out that Ironman is too frustrating for me to want to do it again, so I'm trying a regular Classic game.

My daughter has also been playing XCOM again. It still baffles me that this is her favorite video game. She's just really into aliens, I guess. She also likes playing dress-up with her soldiers. She picks the most outlandish armor and hair colors and gives just about everyone the Guile haircut from the original game. I shudder to think what she would do if I had XCOM 2. She captured her first alien this week and was very proud of herself, but still hasn't found the will to face a terror mission.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:36 pm

SpammyV wrote:Also, every time I meet these Aether Foundation people they seem more and more benevolent, so clearly they must be evil. No need to correct me with spoilers, all my years of playing video game experience has left me 100% sure that I'm right.
Nawwwww, why would you ever think that?

Here I am not correcting you with spoilers. Wheeeeee.
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:31 am

Welp, I'm finally getting into Pillars of Eternity; I recently reached the main city and have been dicking about with every sidequest on offer. I'm an Orlan Cipher, going for a bullet wizard build. It got a lot easier once I actually found a gun (and by "found a gun", I mean "stole the chanter NPC's gun") -- crossbows really don't seem to stack up very well in terms of damage, accuracy, or building up psychic points. I definitely prefer the cipher's casting style to the NPC wizard and cleric styles -- unlimited casting makes my job a lot easier, none of that "but what if I need it later" syndrome. The chanter fellow is fun but I'm not playing in a particularly micro-management-y way, so I'm just having him shuffle through a couple of decent buffs and summon skeletons whenever the thingy reaches 3. If I do a second playthrough I'll dive into being a chanter.

BTW, is it alright to say that I hate that NPC cleric? I just got a 7th NPC party member (the paladin bird lady) and I dropped that cleric instantly.

Return to “Videogames”