This week I have been mostly playing...

Humanoid

Re: This week I have been mostly playing...

Postby Humanoid » Tue May 09, 2017 6:01 am

I had no idea Dead Space *wasn't* first-person.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue May 09, 2017 6:13 am

Humanoid wrote:I had no idea Dead Space *wasn't* first-person.

Its a close third person camera.Its actually a rather neat design and a nice hud replacement(the health and power bar are on isaacs back).
grahams_xwing

Postby grahams_xwing » Tue May 09, 2017 8:41 am

Ninety-Three wrote:Five hours in, I hate Prey. Trying to hit its highly-mobile enemies with a wrench is the opposite of fun (and I'm not about to use the pistol, I'd do more damage shooting spitballs), the game is way too fond of jump-scares (really, jump-scare, it only has the one), and it has way too many scripted ambush sequences that break its own rules. Prey spawns in enemies when you hit trigger volumes, has scripted enemies move/aggro in ways normal ones don't, and random scripted sequences make enemies immune to certain tools for no reason other than "the script doesn't give a shit".

The whole hype train around Prey has done my head in. Lots of media outlets and 'taste makers' enthusing about it ad nauseum but I've only really seen a gameplay clips with the object morphing, which skews it towards a 'well it has a neat mechanic/concept in it' rather than a 'wow, i must play this'

That, and I remember the first Prey. It didn't cease to exist just because they rebooted the series (can you reboot a 'series' of one?). Haven't seen anyone talk about it much.
lurkey

Postby lurkey » Tue May 09, 2017 9:10 am

John wrote:There are so many classes and class combinations to choose from when planning a character. I love this stuff.

Same, but with Neverwinter Nights 2. The only builds I didn't play there are melee ilk like fighters and barbarians.

In the right circumstances, Hide in Plain Sight really powerful because it lets your character re-enter stealth after having been spotted without having to break line-of-sight first. The right circumstances almost never arise in Shadows of Undrentide. It's quite frustrating. It's not that I can't beat the campaign with a sub-optimal character, because I can, have, and will. It's that my character never gets a chance to really shine. Sigh.

I remember having a lot of fun with HiPS in Underdark. There were areas where I parked Deekin and Daelan somewhere out of sight and cleared everything solo and without a scratch.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Tue May 09, 2017 10:42 am

Regarding Prey, as far as I'm aware you're meant to try and pin down the skittery things before you whack them with a wrench repeatedly, hence why they're skittery.
(I know basically nothing else).
Of course, there's a "hype train" because Bethesda's ridiculous review policy doesn't give out early copies, "so everyone can experience it at the same time", yet then they give it to some Youtube people early anyway, because they're stacking the deck, so you get no critical opinions until after release. They're even doing this with the unequivocally good games. Absolute madness.
grahams_xwing wrote:That, and I remember the first Prey. It didn't cease to exist just because they rebooted the series (can you reboot a 'series' of one?). Haven't seen anyone talk about it much.

It has nothing to do with it, Bethesda just decided to name it Prey after seeing what Arkane were doing.
Which was an Arkane thing. Something in the vein of System Shock, as it turns out.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Tue May 09, 2017 11:58 am

Daemian Lucifer wrote:So [Prey]'s like dead space in first person then.
It's WHAT? Oh, fuck me, I can't afford to buy another game right now.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Tue May 09, 2017 3:39 pm

Played some Life Goes On. Its been sitting in my Steam Library for who knows how long unplayed.

Its a cute game to play when I don't know what I really want to play at the moment. Fairly inventive. Its a puzzle platformer that you solve by throwing wave after wave of your own men at it. When you die, your corpse remains in place and a new you spawns. Dying is actually essential to solving puzzles as you need to leave your corpses on buttons, circuit breakers, spikes, etc. Being able to die and spawn at a check point is often essential to solving puzzles too, with them quickly introducing the concept of moving checkpoints. If you want you can just play and beat the puzzle but you're also challenged to replay and try to minimize the number of deaths and the time to completion of a puzzle.

Less memorable are the hats and the writing. Basically feels like a clone of Good Robot in that regard. I'm guessing a lot of indies wanted to add those features.
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Tue May 09, 2017 4:05 pm

Ringwraith wrote:
Trix2000 wrote:
The antagonists, meanwhile, a who are former friends, family, and allies of one of the protagonists, apparently already know the Big Secret, but never spend 30 seconds telling the party the Big Secret, for reasons that are never explained.

This is definitely one of my bigger hangups. I want to say there IS a reason, but either I'm making that up or it was so subtle/contrived that I've basically forgotten it already.

And I think it could have worked if they DID have a good reason for it, which is a shame. They build up some sort of conspiracy about it the entire game but it never really pays off.

It's an easily-overlooked thing that's for sure why the whole of Bravely Default does this.

Neither of those two spoilered statements are true, though.

They can't say what it is as then the actual villain would immediately flatten everyone, knowing their plan would no longer work.

In the "bad" ending, when you do just stop listening to Airy (as is the sane and rational thing to do, upon finding out that they're evil), they turn on you and you stomp them down, rather than being "flattened" by Airy. If Braev and Kamiizumi, for example, had broke the "Airy is evil" news to the party, the 6 of them could have easily handled Airy. Much less if Yulyana or DeRosso got involved. Certainly, that's a better plan than fighting against the party to try to stop them, if they had successfully stopped the party, wouldn't Airy just "immediately flatten everyone, knowing their plan would no longer work" anyway, by that logic? With that explanation, the antagonists are both trying to stop the party (by fighting them), but also not trying to stop the party (by telling them the Big Secret) at the same time, which just doesn't make sense.

The eventual foiling only comes about because someone actually pieces it together themselves without telling anyone, and thus not spilling the beans.

The eventual foiling has nothing to do with Ringabel piecing things together and telling the others on the sly. Like I said, the true ending doesn't even acknowledge that Ringabel, Tiz, and Agnes already ostensibly knew that Airy was evil; they seemed just as shocked as Edea, and certainly haven't put any plans in place to deal with Airy.
They walk into the ending blind and unprepared, but manage beat the unspeakably powerful ancient devourer or worlds, anyway. And it just doesn't make sense from Ringabel's perspective; he remembers that letting Airy get her way last time got his version of Edea killed, so this time he continues to allow Airy to get her way? He neither protects the party from Airy's betrayal, nor protects the world from Airy, despite having every opportunity to at least do the latter.

I've spent some time playing devil's advocate, trying to find a version where this remotely makes sense, and the best I can come up with is that it's all a very long game being played by Yulyana (and DeRosso), who is deliberately allowing Airy to summon Ouroboros in order to have a long shot at defeating him, and the protagonists are more or less just pieces in his plan, along with the Eternian antagonists; setting them against each other so that the protagonists can collect all of the asterisks to become powerful enough to beat MegaCthulhu by singing at it and hitting it with swords. It's not a great story, and still has some flaws, but I guess that could at least explain the antagonists behavior (though the party's behavior, less so). But even if I (or someone else) could "fanwank" a reasonable explanation, that explanation wasn't actually in the game.

(Apologies for all the spoiler text; I tried to be vague in my last post so I could avoid making this look like a highly-redacted government document (or a Madoka discussion), but there's no avoiding it at this point)
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Tue May 09, 2017 4:28 pm

Yeah, I don't agree quite with that reading.
Though I doubt there's going to be much I can really debate on the matter, been quite some time. It's not my favourite plot, but I'll mostly just give it props for trying something decent.
Other than you can only go off the plan's rails after everyone's strong enough to pose a material threat, to begin with the party certainly is not, although no-one actually knows quite how strong their foe is other than "very".
That, and everyone's got a bad history of communicating properly anyway, dismissing them as ignorant kids a lot of the time, which might be why I don't think it's terrible.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Tue May 09, 2017 8:45 pm

I'm fairly confident Prey will turn out to be an interesting game. The creators of Dishonoured making a System Shock inspired game written by Chris Avellone?

It doesn't have to be good, but it'd weird if that didn't end up being interesting.
Narratorway

Postby Narratorway » Wed May 10, 2017 12:13 am

So last week, I took on the Cursed Loran Chalice Darkbeast...alone...with half health. It went about like you would expect...

I spent a full fucking six hours tackling this motherest of the fuckers last week. I thought things...felt things that aren't healthy for a normal human being to experience. Certainly not when you own a cat.

*sigh*

Yeah. Took him on today. Beat him within three tries.

Galad

Postby Galad » Wed May 10, 2017 11:32 am

Is..is that a super-secret Dark souls 1/2/3 boss, so secret it has 4 names?
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Wed May 10, 2017 12:04 pm

From the randomly-generated dungeons of Bloodborne, thus has many prefixes as descriptors, and because the 'original' Darkbeast has an actual name and I guess they couldn't fit another in there, and finding multiple of something with the same actual name would be weird.
Narratorway

Postby Narratorway » Wed May 10, 2017 6:53 pm

He's just called the Loran Darkbeast cause he's a darkbeast that appears in the Loran Chalice dungeon - which is one of four 'styles' of dungeon you can make. So I prolly shoulda just called him Loran Darkbeast. Also, I added some spice to the mix, such as making the dungeon cursed - which cuts your health in half - and also put in some rotted and fetid offerings, which means you lose health over time (i think...that may also just be a part of the 'cursed' aspect honestly), so even if you don't get hit, ya gotta heal up from time to time. Basically played it on ULTRA HARDCORE cause the loot's that much sweeter. Gotta buncha Uncanny weapons outta the deal that I don't have the blood shards to properly upgrade and I think the enemies carry more echoes. There's some random hunters in there that would net me 100k for each kill.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Wed May 10, 2017 7:39 pm

Cursed is just the half health, as that's enough of a handicap already, so it's the other ones doing the draining.
Jokerman

Postby Jokerman » Wed May 10, 2017 9:03 pm

At the game shop, picked up Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard and Arkham Origins cheaply, which of these (bad?) games should i "mostly play" this week?
Narratorway

Postby Narratorway » Thu May 11, 2017 2:48 am

By all accounts, AO is surprisingly well written while the only thing I barely remember from Hazard is was it looked like Cringe: The Videogame.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Thu May 11, 2017 9:39 am

Matt Hazard did the thing where it 'satirised' bad videogame tropes by making you do them and then pointing out that they were bad right?

Also wasn't it marketed for a world where Duke Nukem Forever was never going to be released? :P
Jokerman

Postby Jokerman » Thu May 11, 2017 11:49 am

Thomas wrote:Matt Hazard did the thing where it 'satirised' bad videogame tropes by making you do them and then pointing out that they were bad right?

Also wasn't it marketed for a world where Duke Nukem Forever was never going to be released? :P

Yeah, Matt Hazard absolutely looks like a Duke stand in... not enough satirical comedy games out there i think, certainly not triple A. It looks like a trip through fake videogame history, Hopefully it's at least interesting if it's bad...
Galad

Postby Galad » Thu May 11, 2017 12:58 pm

My recent delvings back in the muddy waters of backstabby board games, such as Armello and Gremlins inc have taught me that I might be good at many things, but I could do with some more zen-like acceptance of unfair defeat, or at least temporary setback, at the hands of other people.

Other than that, I am also playing an adorable indie adventure called Kim. It's a game where you walk around somewhat a grid-like, somewhat procedurally generated colonial 1880s India, playing a young boy that delves into politics, survival, religion and so on. It's basically a better, and less fantasy version of Unrest.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu May 11, 2017 6:29 pm

Galad wrote:somewhat procedurally generated

Galad wrote:and less fantasy version of

Galad wrote:It's basically a better version of Unrest.

Those are contradictory statements.
John

Postby John » Fri May 12, 2017 12:21 am

Galad wrote:Other than that, I am also playing an adorable indie adventure called Kim. It's a game where you walk around somewhat a grid-like, somewhat procedurally generated colonial 1880s India, playing a young boy that delves into politics, survival, religion and so on. It's basically a better, and less fantasy version of Unrest.

Ooh! Ooh! It sounds like it's based on the novel of the same name by Rudyard Kipling. I love that book. I'll have to check out the game.
ecto_stantz_tial

Postby ecto_stantz_tial » Fri May 12, 2017 2:09 am

Bouncing around a few games.

Played through some Sega Genesis games Sonic the Hedgehog which has been years since I played it last, and Sonic 2 which it turns out I haven't beaten before because the last few levels looked completely alien to me. Altered Beast so I can check that off my list, and never play it again, as well as Fatal Labyrinth, which was fairly fun if lacking depth of stronger rogue-ish games.

And trying to get through the three standard campaigns of Space Hulk Ascension, which has been kind of rough for me, not because it's hard, but because I'm finding it harder to want to play the game. I'm not a Space Hulk fan, haven't experienced much of the universe, never played the table top, and the only other PC game of it I played was Space Hulk for PC from '93 (?), which I loved, and still do. But this one, experiencing some odd slow downs, and feel overpowered, at level one my characters felt a little too strong to me, now that they've leveled up, forget about it. I don't know how the table top works at all, but I have a librarian that can kill any genestealer in a 5 x 5(i think it's 5x5) grid per turn. Heavies walking around with flamethrowers that can shoot 10 times, and have a single reload for another 10, Soldiers with combi-blasters or some non-sense that removes jamming from even happening, AND has 4 or 6 sprays of fire available. Granted I'm playing or Normal, for whatever that's worth.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Fri May 12, 2017 2:56 am

ecto_stantz_tial wrote:Altered Beast so I can check that off my list, and never play it again

Is that a "Man I'm glad I'm done with this steaming pile" comment? Because if so it feels so good to get done with a bad game and go, "I win. Now get off my hard drive."

And then you start to forget just how bad it was and you start to think about the people who haven't faced how bad it is and you consider reinstalling it for an LP or something...

*looks at Steam Library*

Not that I'd know about that.
Galad

Postby Galad » Fri May 12, 2017 7:51 am

@John - Yes, exactly, I have not read said book by R. Kipling, but the game is based on it

@Daemian - Well, the tiles where there are no cities seem to be randomly generated, but most, if not all, of the meaty story bits is initiated in the cities, and then may be completed in a procedurally generated tile. You got me thinking why I said it was a better version, and I think it's because the fact that it's based on an existing time and place gives it an air of better credibility in my eyes. At any rate, it's mostly a personal preference, and if you liked Unrest, you'd probably like Kim too.

Return to “Videogames”