This week I have been mostly playing...

Daemian Lucifer

Re: This week I have been mostly playing...

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Thu May 04, 2017 5:35 am

Charnel Mouse wrote: ... I guess I need to work on my sarcasm?
I got the sarcasm,I just couldnt stop myself from responding.
Andrew wrote: You might want to check out Faeria if you haven't already.
The best thing about faeria is how TotalBiscuit managed to break it by asking peoples to give him shit.
Ringwraith

Post by Ringwraith » Thu May 04, 2017 11:57 am

Andrew wrote:
Ringwraith wrote:It's a good gimmick!
It's basically a less-random Hearthstone otherwise though.

Not many things like Duelyst out there which completely change how it works, in that instance by making it tactics by putting it on a grid.
You might want to check out Faeria if you haven't already.

Uses the same grid style of board that Duelyst does but does it better (in my opinion).

Non-RNG game as well, if that matters.

I like it a lot better than Hearthstone and I've now reached Legend on Hearthstone on multiple occasions.
I just fall of paying attention of these sorts of things in general, honestly.
Retsam

Post by Retsam » Fri May 05, 2017 3:27 pm

Trix2000 wrote:
Retsam wrote:(There's one last optional boss in the endgame... but that one really just felt like a dumb time waster, so I skipped it)
You mean the Adventurer? There's a few tricks you can use to make it actually fairly doable - Salve-Maker has a combination of items that lets you double your max HP, which can make it so your party cannot die to a single hit (having more than 9999 health). Add to that the Templar's Rampart to block physical hits, and his high physical damage becomes much less of a problem. You might also consider continuously having reraise on the party.

As for damage, the best way I found to break through was to set up a ninja to do two 9999 hits per attack, then stockpile BP for a big alpha-strike to kill the fox and also hit the Adventurer. AOE attacks can also help, though I didn't use them personally.

There's a number of other possibilities for handling it, but that's a good starting point. It's intimidating at first, but actually not that complex or difficult of a fight with the proper party setup.
If nothing else I could probably have used my "win all fights ever" strategy, that I used against one of the boss rushes: you need a Spiritmaster faster than all opponents, and you need a Dark Knight (or some other damage dealer) faster than the Spiritmaster, and some way to give BP to the Spiritmaster. (Performer works, or if the Spiritmaster has enough MP regen, then Spiritmaster's Convert BP works fine, too)

Every other turn, Spiritmaster casts Stillness (prevent all damage for 2 turns), leaving the only character able to do damage is the Dark Knight who goes before the Spiritmaster. The Dark Knight can just spam Minus Strike for 9999 damage all day, to deal the damage.

It's not that I didn't think I could beat the Adventurer, but the High HP with the chance to come back to life if I screw up the timing, plus the lack of reward for winning, just didn't make it worth my time. (In general the optional bosses really could have used some more reward to them)
Special attacks that boost your entire party's stats? That's cool...
Yeah, I can't say I particularly liked how I felt rushed the moment I used one of them, though at the same time I usually handled it by just saving up everything for one big alpha strike... so the timer was mostly meaningless as everything'd go out at once.
And Bravely Second...
I literally never used it in actual play. It's completely unnecessary unless you want to completely break bosses with silly numbers.
It's easily ignorable, but the farmville-esque village simulator is a weird aspect to the game...
Eh, I usually just closed the system when I stopped playing and left it overnight and such. It helps when you have more villagers, though there's sort-of a limit on that effect.

The sequel tones down its importance quite a bit, since it no longer has powerful equipment - just items and special attack parts.
Yeah, it's a point in its favor that basically all the "bad" parts are easily ignorable, though my criticism draws less from "I was forced to interact with these bad systems" and more from "these could have been so much better". Like Bravely Second is a really cool idea, (e.g. as a safety net against a lucky crit that kills your healer), but tying it to system sleep mode, (or microtransactions) largely kills it.
(Note from future me: It gets worse when the sequel adds a "cookie clicker" clone)
Hey, I actually enjoyed Chompcraft a bit!

It helps that it doubles as a sort of music room too, and the animations are cute. Thankfully, also entirely unnecessary (by the time I could actually trade for money, I didn't need it anymore).
Okay, confession time, I'm still in Chapter 1, and I've unlocked all the Chompcraft upgrades. It helps that I unlocked the mode while I was sitting on an 8 hour plane flight, and a "time-wasting" mode was great, though I know I actually have a weakness for "incremental games" (as the genre is termed). Sadly, I'm a bit of a connoisseur of the genre, and it wasn't even a particularly good example. They actually could have made it interesting if it unlocked something fun (like a costume or something), but just being able to leave the system on to get unlimited money is a bit silly.

---

Otherwise, I should clarify that Golden Sun is one of my all-time favorite RPGs, I may have mangled something so that it sounded like I was criticizing the game. The plots of Bravely Default and Golden Sun are very similar, but in Golden Sun, it actually works. (By "Golden Sun", I mean the two originals from the GBA; I largely think of them as a single game as they were originally intended to be a single game. The DS sequel was, not quite "awful", but highly disappointing.)
Last edited by Retsam on Fri May 05, 2017 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ringwraith

Post by Ringwraith » Fri May 05, 2017 6:37 pm

Trix2000 wrote:
The antagonists, meanwhile, a who are former friends, family, and allies of one of the protagonists, apparently already know the Big Secret, but never spend 30 seconds telling the party the Big Secret, for reasons that are never explained.
This is definitely one of my bigger hangups. I want to say there IS a reason, but either I'm making that up or it was so subtle/contrived that I've basically forgotten it already.

And I think it could have worked if they DID have a good reason for it, which is a shame. They build up some sort of conspiracy about it the entire game but it never really pays off.
It's an easily-overlooked thing that's for sure why the whole of Bravely Default does this.
They can't say what it is as then the actual villain would immediately flatten everyone, knowing their plan would no longer work.
The eventual foiling only comes about because someone actually pieces it together themselves without telling anyone, and thus not spilling the beans.
Ninety-Three

Post by Ninety-Three » Sat May 06, 2017 2:25 pm

After Shamus mentioned Diablo 3, I noticed it had a free demo. I didn't see the classic Error 3006, but I got pretty close to the Authentic Diablo 3 Experience®.

The game hung on startup due to server connectivity issues, forced a reboot because the hung window refused to either minimize or die, and refused to uninstall. Good job Blizzard.
Humanoid

Post by Humanoid » Sat May 06, 2017 2:48 pm

I fired up Darkest Dungeon on a whim and started a new game, having not played it since Early Access. Two missions later and I realised how much modding I'd have to do to get it back to a state I consider "fun", so I ended up just giving up for now. I probably should have documented the changes I made back when I played it the first time 'round. I do know the first thing I'd change is to change the item stack limits to 9999 for everything. Oh well, might see what's up once the expansion launches.
SpammyV

Post by SpammyV » Sat May 06, 2017 5:22 pm

Humanoid wrote:I fired up Darkest Dungeon on a whim and started a new game, having not played it since Early Access. Two missions later and I realised how much modding I'd have to do to get it back to a state I consider "fun", so I ended up just giving up for now. I probably should have documented the changes I made back when I played it the first time 'round. I do know the first thing I'd change is to change the item stack limits to 9999 for everything. Oh well, might see what's up once the expansion launches.
It's funny how two separate games in my Steam library that start with Dark are both so damn close to being good but fall victim to their own marketing and gimmicks and expose their developers as not being all that and expose the games as in fact being bad.

Moral of the story is don't make Dark the start of your game's title.
bitterpark

Post by bitterpark » Sat May 06, 2017 6:56 pm

SpammyV wrote:It's funny how two separate games in my Steam library that start with Dark are both so damn close to being good but fall victim to their own marketing and gimmicks and expose their developers as not being all that and expose the games as in fact being bad.

Does he...

No, it can't be. He can't possibly mean...

How dare you slander Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, you philistine?!?!
Humanoid

Post by Humanoid » Sun May 07, 2017 6:18 am

Darksiders 2 is the only other game in my Steam library that starts with Dark. I don't know anything about it (must've been Humble Bundled) so that's probably it.

(In my GOG library though, there's the incomparable Darklands, as well as Dark Reign which was supposedly pretty decent)
Narratorway

Post by Narratorway » Sun May 07, 2017 7:16 am

Beat Shovel Knight. Gonna start in on Plague Knight next.
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Sun May 07, 2017 8:32 am

Humanoid wrote:Darksiders 2 is the only other game in my Steam library that starts with Dark. I don't know anything about it (must've been Humble Bundled) so that's probably it.
Darksiders 2 is great.If you like brawlers that is.And you dont have to play the first one to get into the second one.They are pretty much separate.
SpammyV

Post by SpammyV » Sun May 07, 2017 8:06 pm

SEVERED! So hey, you remember the people who made Guacamelee! and how it was a really bright comedic love letter to SNES platformers? You ever wondered what they'd make if they made something dark and depressing? Well that's Severed.

You're a teenage girl named Sasha who finds herself and her family pulled into this nightmarish world. The game starts off with Sasha's arm apparently freshly cut off and doesn't get better from there. Some creature gives her a "sword" that she doesn't appear to hold so much as the "handle" is a mouth that's clamped onto her wrist and is replacing her hand now. Amputation and loss are apparently the themes in this game, because in order to upgrade you have to slice apart monsters for their limbs and eyes before they vanish. And they keep showing you the results of each change or acquisition, by having Sasha's appearance on the upgrade screen and every trip back to their ruined house brings Sasha to a mirror.

I love the way the game looks, the otherworld feels dark and foreboding even though it's still brightly colored. It plays pretty well too, with battles requiring juggling up to four enemies and their specific attack patterns, keeping the ones you can interrupt from attacking and focusing on the ones you can't interrupt in time to counter their attack. The game is also reminiscent of old-school dungeon crawlers as otherwise you travel from room to room, searching for keys/switches and backtracking to reach secrets and goodies you couldn't before.

Basically this game is good and I'm enjoying it.
The Rocketeer

Post by The Rocketeer » Sun May 07, 2017 8:15 pm

^^ The Binding of Sasha
SpammyV

Post by SpammyV » Mon May 08, 2017 12:49 am

Perhaps? You would need someone else to speak on that point because I really was not enamored with The Binding of Isaac.

Severed is still good and dark in a way that I enjoy, especially one bit I just reached which is really good and really haunting but I don't want to spoil it and when I don't want to spoil something, check to see if the sky isn't falling.

Although apparently I hoard bits and giblets too much for the game's taste, because the message that upgrades are available stays at the bottom of the screen for a long time.

Also, Severed let me figure out what was making the super-stable 3D software on my New 3DS to flake out so much: Distance from my face. As soon as I experimentally held the 3DS out a little more the two images locked into place.
Ninety-Three

Post by Ninety-Three » Mon May 08, 2017 3:15 am

I have a 3DS that has been gathering dust for several years (whenever I have time to game these days, I'm at home with my PC). It is about to stop gathering dust because I'm going on a long plane ride. I've bought one 3DS game in the last three years (Pokemon, didn't like it) and I have no idea what's out there these days, what would folks recommend I check out?
Humanoid

Post by Humanoid » Mon May 08, 2017 3:44 am

I asked the same question a couple years back so it may be worth going back to page 136 and seeing what answers I got. I haven't used mine for anything but Fire Emblem in the past year, so I'm not much help in that regard.
Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon May 08, 2017 4:30 am

Is anyone playing Player Unknowns Battlegrounds?

It's still in early access but it's already sold something in the order of 2 million copies.

I only found out about it from my brother last night but in the 2 hours I've played it's been a blast. And I totally suck. 1 kill out of 7 games so far!!

Anyway, it's basically just a massive battle royale with up to 100 players dropped on a map with the last one standing being the winner. You find loot when you land (guns, ammo, grenades, armour, better guns... etc) and basically try and survive/kill everyone else.

Highly recommend to anyone remotely interested in the genre.
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Mon May 08, 2017 5:14 am

Humanoid wrote:I asked the same question a couple years back so it may be worth going back to page 136 and seeing what answers I got. I haven't used mine for anything but Fire Emblem in the past year, so I'm not much help in that regard.
Or,if you want a specific link:
Beginning of the recommendations.The next page has a few as well.
Trix2000

Post by Trix2000 » Mon May 08, 2017 8:34 am

Retsam wrote: If nothing else I could probably have used my "win all fights ever" strategy, that I used against one of the boss rushes: you need a Spiritmaster faster than all opponents, and you need a Dark Knight (or some other damage dealer) faster than the Spiritmaster, and some way to give BP to the Spiritmaster. (Performer works, or if the Spiritmaster has enough MP regen, then Spiritmaster's Convert BP works fine, too)

Every other turn, Spiritmaster casts Stillness (prevent all damage for 2 turns), leaving the only character able to do damage is the Dark Knight who goes before the Spiritmaster. The Dark Knight can just spam Minus Strike for 9999 damage all day, to deal the damage.

It's not that I didn't think I could beat the Adventurer, but the High HP with the chance to come back to life if I screw up the timing, plus the lack of reward for winning, just didn't make it worth my time. (In general the optional bosses really could have used some more reward to them)
Well, that'd certainly work, but it sounds really slow and boring. :/ It sounds more fun to come up with than it does to execute.
Okay, confession time, I'm still in Chapter 1, and I've unlocked all the Chompcraft upgrades. It helps that I unlocked the mode while I was sitting on an 8 hour plane flight, and a "time-wasting" mode was great, though I know I actually have a weakness for "incremental games" (as the genre is termed). Sadly, I'm a bit of a connoisseur of the genre, and it wasn't even a particularly good example. They actually could have made it interesting if it unlocked something fun (like a costume or something), but just being able to leave the system on to get unlimited money is a bit silly.
First, note that there aren't as many chapters in BS. They are also a bit longer, I think, though I don't recall how much.

You can't cash in on Chompcraft for a while which is a little unfortunate, but the extra money is handy for when you do get to that point since you can buy particularly powerful weapons in Chomp village. They're really expensive, but look awesome and have some of the best stats in the game.
Otherwise, I should clarify that Golden Sun is one of my all-time favorite RPGs, I may have mangled something so that it sounded like I was criticizing the game. The plots of Bravely Default and Golden Sun are very similar, but in Golden Sun, it actually works. (By "Golden Sun", I mean the two originals from the GBA; I largely think of them as a single game as they were originally intended to be a single game. The DS sequel was, not quite "awful", but highly disappointing.)
I liked the DS title, but yeah... it seemed like it lacked a certain something. I suspect I liked it more for the graphical upgrades to a favorite battle system than anything else (the story was... eeeeeeh).

Golden Sun (and the 'Sequel') used to be my favorite RPG until the Persona series came into my life, but it still holds a very special place in my heart for being one of my first significant JRPGs, and it's still particularly appealing to me even now. It's a particularly unique series as far as JRPGs go too, and I really liked the character focus for things (Shun the people who thought it had "too much talking"!). It had its weak points, but nothing that really bothered me at the time.

Dark Dawn was a pleasant surprise since I didn't expect to see another game in the series, but what I really wanted was something with stronger writing... and Dark Dawn didn't quite make it. My standards for stories and dialog have risen by a hell of a lot since I played the original games.
Humanoid

Post by Humanoid » Mon May 08, 2017 8:43 am

I always confuse Golden Sun with Golden Axe, it gets really confusing sometimes.
Galad

Post by Galad » Mon May 08, 2017 1:29 pm

SpammyV wrote:
Would that be a critique of Dark Souls 3? I can sort of get behind that, then again I'm the worst type of scrub at dark souls, the one that coops almost every boss because he has no patience to "do it again stupid" several dozen times..
The Rocketeer

Post by The Rocketeer » Mon May 08, 2017 2:19 pm

SpammyV's just a huge Demon's Souls holdout, is all. I know where you're coming from, Spammy, but I just don't think they're gonna bring it back.
John

Post by John » Mon May 08, 2017 8:08 pm

I haven't gamed much over the last week. I haven't had the time or mental energy to do so. But I did manage to squeeze in a bit of Neverwinter Nights--Shadows of Undrendtide, to be specific--which I can pretty much play in my sleep at this point. On the one hand, Neverwinter Nights is an awesome game. There are so many classes and class combinations to choose from when planning a character. I love this stuff. On the other hand, Bioware's campaigns--even the good ones like Hordes of the Underdark--aren't really designed with the full set of character classes and archetypes in mind. My Undrentide character has a couple of Shadowdancer levels because I wanted the Hide in Plain Sight ability. In the right circumstances, Hide in Plain Sight really powerful because it lets your character re-enter stealth after having been spotted without having to break line-of-sight first. The right circumstances almost never arise in Shadows of Undrentide. It's quite frustrating. It's not that I can't beat the campaign with a sub-optimal character, because I can, have, and will. It's that my character never gets a chance to really shine. Sigh.
Ninety-Three

Post by Ninety-Three » Tue May 09, 2017 1:22 am

Five hours in, I hate Prey. Trying to hit its highly-mobile enemies with a wrench is the opposite of fun (and I'm not about to use the pistol, I'd do more damage shooting spitballs), the game is way too fond of jump-scares (really, jump-scare, it only has the one), and it has way too many scripted ambush sequences that break its own rules. Prey spawns in enemies when you hit trigger volumes, has scripted enemies move/aggro in ways normal ones don't, and random scripted sequences make enemies immune to certain tools for no reason other than "the script doesn't give a shit".
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Tue May 09, 2017 5:15 am

So its like dead space in first person then.Thats kind of disappointing.