Persona 5 - THE WAIT IS FINALLY OVER

Trix2000

Persona 5 - THE WAIT IS FINALLY OVER

Postby Trix2000 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:37 pm

Alright, new topic for this game because I know I'll end up posting more about it and I don't think we want the old watercooler to get more cluttered than we already make it. :)

Also, given the nature of the game, I'm gonna say we should keep significant spoilers blacked out for the time being since it might take a long time for some people to finish, and this is NOT a game I think would do well to be spoiled! That said, probably don't need to go too overboard with the tags for more basic things.

Ringwraith wrote:SP restoration is definitely harder, but it's always tougher at the start, so dipping out is normal.
You're never intended to do a full dungeon in one go really, but they've tuned the first pretty well that way here.
Especially as with the new alarm thingie you get booted out if you get caught too much, wasting precious time.
Yeah, I do remember that from my first playthrough in 4, as I had to take a couple trips then. It's pretty clear they intended the same thing in the prior games. However, there's always that desire to do so in one run if only to save some time for things like social lin-... uh, I mean confidants. I know it was entirely possible to do so in both 3 and 4 if you knew what you were doing, even on harder difficulties.

I'd thought going in that I might be able to do this here, so long as I was careful about where and how I spent my SP. Unfortunately, as well as I stretched it out I still barely made it past halfway - thank goodness the first miniboss is a cakewalk when you realize he can only ever do damage to one character every other turn, and defending with everyone after he charges means a single Dia covers it. But even with that, I barely scraped by. I knew it would be tough to make it far in one go.

But maybe it's just me (or a consequence of the new dungeon designs being unique/interesting to traverse), but it felt like it was significantly longer than the initial dungeons in 4 (ignoring the first few forays which are basically still tutorial). I spent at least an hour or more pushing forward thinking I was going to make it to the end, and then I hit a safe room only to have Morgana tell me "Hey, I think we're halfway!"

So I guess either I underestimated something or they've really paced things out to make pacing yourself/taking it in chunks more necessary. Could also have to do with the lack of distinct floors to reference progress from. I think I'm okay with that (at least for a first playthrough where I'm NOT specifically trying to max out everything), but it was a bit of a surprise nonetheless.

Also, is it just me or do some of the early shadows hit kind-of hard? I mean, I'm no stranger to the series' difficulty and all, but some of the random enemies were doing almost half health in damage which can lead to some serious attrition. Maybe it's to balance out the benefit of extra ambushes? Doesn't seem like a major problem but, again, surprising.

Also they seem to deliberately leave Morgana ambiguous for the most part, seeing as no-one's quite sure, possibly not Morgana either (or doesn't care too much, more hung up about being called a cat), though I'm pretty sure there's male pronouns in there, at least eventually.
Yeah, my gut is telling me that Morgana's probably a he (the 'Lady Ann' stuff also suggests this), but there's still no proof either way and I really find it more interesting to think of her as a... her. I'm waiting for that specific moment that dispels my silly delusions, but I have no idea how far in that might be (if ever!).

Her whole situation seems a lot like Teddie's, though, in the "THERE WILL BE A BIG REVELATION ABOUT THIS CHARACTER LATER" sort of way, but I can't imagine it being the exact same thing... namely, I don't think she is a shadow. It's hard to really believe she's actually what she thinks she is, though, especially with the amnesia aspect showing up again. It is far too early for me to tell, anyways.

I really wish I could skip off work and just binge this game more. :/
Humanoid

Re: Persona 5 - THE WAIT IS FINALLY OVER

Postby Humanoid » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:44 pm

Y'know I always see you guys gushing over the Persona series, and still I know nothing about it. The only one I was in action was Persona Q, where I watched a little bit of a LP for when it was half price for the 3DS and it looked like ....well, like absolutely nothing. Lo-Fi wandering through corridors and I came away thinking it played like a cheap indie. I gather that's not representative of the series then?
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:01 am

Q was the crowd-pleasing meetup of the casts of 3 & 4 in an Etrian Odyssey-style (same developers) dungeon-crawler.

Although it had the better dungeons the series has had due to being entirely hand-crafted and not randomly-generated.

Persona (from 3 onwards) is about living out a year at school, deciding how to spend each day, while fighting demonic shadows for various reasons as your other job.
Like 4's a murder mystery in a town, and 5's a group of rebels trying to right the wrongs of the darkness of humanity through thievery.
...the tone can vary a lot.

They're turn-based JRPGs of the Shin Megami Tensei mould otherwise: battles that can be over very quickly for either side, and a whole host to various personas/demons to collect which you use to cast spells and such. While also having visual-novel like segments from the day-to-day life sections, spending time with people to get to know them, which in turn makes you able to make stronger personas when you smush them together to fuse new ones.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:22 am

Persona Q was very different - based on similar themes and using past characters, but it had a different battle and exploration system and did not have social links/daily life stuff. It was mostly just a dungeon crawler with very significant character interactions (it IS a crossover between the casts of Persona 3 and 4, so lots of fun to be had there if you played both). Believe the gameplay is mostly based on Etrian Odyssey mechanics with Persona influences.

It had a pretty decent narrative and a lot of fun character moments, but it doesn't really measure up to the main games... but that's an incredibly high bar to clear, since both Persona 3 and 4 have some VERY interesting writing and stories to work with.

So I wouldn't use Q as the best indication for the series, but I also wouldn't count it out - it's not so divorced as to be irrelevant. I will say it plays a lot better in-person than it looks just watching videos - in fact, I had similar concerns of its quality until I actually played it. I really liked it, but it's not on the level of the main series - just cute fun crossover time with the old gangs of 3 and 4 that turned out to be surprisingly interesting in a fanfic-y sort of way.

The main games actually look better in some ways, if only because they were not portable titles at first (though Golden looks AMAZING on the Vita). The general gist of each one is that you're a student going to a new school and living your daily life, including making friends (and learning/dealing with their troubles), improving your personal stats (so you can ace tests and stuff!), and otherwise choosing how to live out each day. Alongside this is some significant main plot that involves an alternate world of sorts (3 was Tartarus, 4 was the TV world, 5 is... not entirely sure yet) in which you and some of your friends from school go to battle against shadows (strange enemies borne from... metaphysics?) using Personas (manifestations of the 'self' we portray to others) in an effort to solve some serious problem (the mysterious Dark Hour in 3, solving a murder mystery in 4, and... something I'm not sure of yet in 5).

They involve a LOT of dialog and interacting with other characters, generally with some of the best writing and voice acting/localization you can find out there. People will call the games half-visual novel and it's not entirely inaccurate, though I feel it doesn't do the titles justice. At least in my experience, they've been very good at getting me to immerse myself into the protagonist role and really care about the friends I make and people I meet. They also tend to have some very significant and well-thought-out themes with particularly interesting things to say about the way we live.

They also feature a very interesting and unique combat system that takes the norms of JRPG turn-based combat and throws out a lot of the cruft, like making instant kills and status affect moves ACTUALLY USEFUL. Enemies are a challenge, with every random encounter requiring some strategy to minimize your loses in resources and exploit weaknesses. Bosses are generally unique encounters which can require some significant planning and skill to beat, and particularly in 4 (and 5) have very direct ongoing connections to the plot and the characters.

They are a very unique and interesting RPG experiences that I would recommend to anyone interested in the genre, and Persona 4 is (so far) my favorite game of all time. They are also almost entirely standalone - there is essentially no need to play prior titles (and in fact, I played 4 before 3, and still haven't tried 1 and 2 which are... old and different >.>). So far, 5 is shaping up to be at least in a similar range to 3 and 4 in terms of quality, though it remains to be seen whether I will consider it a good game, a great game, or if it might somehow topple 4 as my favorite.

....Hope that helps a little. It's a bit difficult for me to consider how to describe the experience in words, and I may well have both provided too much and not enough information about the games. All I can say is to maybe give one of them a try if you think it sounds interesting. I'm really really biased. :/

Ringwraith wrote:(THINGS)

...And of course, while I'm trying to type this up, you manage to write most of what I was thinking much more concisely. Damn you and your lack of rambling!
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:02 am

Well, unfortunate that I've never owned a Playstation of any sort then, so Q is the only one I have potential access to and I have no interest in a dungeon crawler.

The "choosing how to spend your days" thing does sound appealing, particularly when contrasted with my (admittedly limited) experience of JRPGs where there's absolutely no notion of player agency. My negative experience with Bravely Default last year hasn't exactly made me want to dip my toes in the genre again anytime soon, but glad to see there's something different.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:39 pm

It plays out a school year, day-by-day, so you get decide what to do after school, and even then you still have to answer questions in class and take exams.

Q is super-niche and only for fans of 3 and/or 4 due to mostly having both casts generally lark about.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:05 pm

Well, I somehow got through the remainder of the first dungeon, despite it still seeiming longer than I expected (halfway? LIES) and the enemies taking a significant leap in difficulty... even managed to luck out with a Game Over! Only took me twelve hours to get here. :D

...Yeah, the upper half was really kicking my butt on the random encounters, and it's a miracle I still managed to press on enough to reach the very top. I guess it helps that I've mostly figured out how to reliably ambush things and have stronger gear, but it still is really hard to hold onto enough SP to keep fighting well - protagonist in particular ran out of Bufu gas quickly making it very difficult to kill the horsemen without serious damage.

The end, though... well, I'm not going to spoil anything, but it's very different to how I expected and I'm apparently still not done. Also, it seems like this game may actually close off dungeons so I had to burn another day in there to make sure I got all the locked chests (Protip: MAKE PLENTY OF LOCKPICKS).

Really wishing my persona capacity would upgrade already - I know it will soon (it's the next Fool rank it looks like), but I've already had to juggle them a bit to make sure I kept the proper ones for social links.... although to be honest I don't know if I even need to do that anymore, as I've only done a single rank before I started focusing down the dungeon.

The completionist in me is a little bothered by the three days 'wasted' on dungeon crawling, but I don't really care for the first playthrough as I'm not planning to get everything.

Also I don't know how difficult the second miniboss is even supposed to be, because I crit it with Ryuji and took off most of its health with that and the followup All-Out-Attack. ...Also, it's totally a part of that one dick-Persona.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:37 pm

Days "wasted" are pfffftttttt. It's all fine.

Not very dangerous, you just have to wail it on with physical attacks as it resists everything else
Last edited by Ringwraith on Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:59 pm

Ringwraith wrote:Days "wasted" are pfffftttttt. It's all fine.
Yeah, I know, it's just my inner perfectionist screaming at me. I'm deliberately ignoring it for the first playthrough because I know it won't significantly impact the experience.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:23 am

The game actually forces you to take breaks so you can't do them in a single day anyway.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:21 am

From what I remember of school, a day not wasted away is a day wasted.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:26 am

But you could spend that day both hanging out with someone/watching a movie/partake in shady experimental drug trials/whatever and going out at night and doing a similar thing again!
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:59 pm

So once again, it seems knowledge is the hardest stat to increase - I've been powering it up in anticipation of exams and I've only just managed to get it to 2, whereas I got 2 in proficiency almost by accident just from making lockpicks here and there. But this was about what it was like in 4 so not really a surprise.

Also, I beat a boss! It wasn't actually that hard, but an interesting fight. It's possible I overleveled a bit (my third round into the dungeon to get all the locked chests turned into a bit of a grinding session to use up all that precious SP), but then again I also had the guy's Attack lowered the whole fight so he hit for very little. This is probably where I realize that I am actually playing on normal, and the difficulties from before were more about my insistence on sticking it through as much of the dungeon as possible each run.

Also also, I learned to make coffee! Clearly the most important skill.

Really entertaining that our group has fans, though. That was a pretty nice touch, and I'm curious what that will mean for lategame when people's opinion is high and we're fighting to save the world or whatever it is the climax is about. All of this is ALSO making me very curious as to the circumstances surrounding the intro, which I still can't really explain but is making a bit more sense now.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:13 pm

New favourite pasttimes:
Confusing people not having played it yet with out-of-context descriptors: like "I am now engaging in mutual blackmail".

Also the music for the third palace is funky, good grief.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:08 am

Just finished the second. Had a lot easier time there, though I suspect it's because I'm past the hump where my skills and SP are sorely limited. Got through it in the minimum days, including chests which was nice. Boss was a bit more of a threat but still not too difficult.

Also, discovering my homeroom teacher also worked in a maid service was pretty damn hilarious.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:06 am

Ringwraith wrote:New favourite pasttimes:
Confusing people not having played it yet with out-of-context descriptors: like "I am now engaging in mutual blackmail".

Also the music for the third palace is funky, good grief.

And now I understand this. You were NOT kidding with that music.

My favorite moment was when I said to a friend of mine in chat "And now my cat turned into a car." His response was just, "I don't entirely know how that works."

For that matter, I'm starting to get a perception of the protagonist as some crazy cat dude, considering he brings Morgana literally EVERYWHERE. Can only imagine what people would think of our conversations...
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:59 am

Kind of a good thing the protagonist doesn't speak much really!
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:07 am

Finished the third dungeon and things are ramping up a bit, though oddly enough I had no trouble doing this one all in one shot (with some gas to spare). Was honestly expecting another roadblock, but I got all the way to the end on the first go.

Probably helps that I had two healers in the wings and relied a fair bit on physical attacks to manage a lot of the packs later on, mostly because a lot of them didn't have convenient weaknesses. I also noticed that, ironically perhaps, the enemies in this bank were not dropping much money relatively-speaking. Experience was pretty good, though.

Boss was the most interesting one to fight yet, I think, though ultimately not too bad... if only because physicals + rakunda = a LOT of damage, and I'd just gotten Diarama on Morgana to support it properly (yes yes, I know Makoto has it too... wasn't using her sadly). One thing the fight quickly taught me was how lacking I was in fear cures, though luckily I didn't need more than the one I had lying around from some random chest.

Starting to make some connections now, too, particularly with the stuff in the future/intro. My theory for the moment is that the jerk politician that got you arrested is the one talking to the SIU director, and they all have deeper connections to the Metaverse. In fact, I'm wondering if the jerk is somehow responsible for me getting into the Metaverse stuff in the first place...

....45 hours in and pretty sure I'm still not half done. This game is a monster, and I came in expecting P4 length!
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:00 am

Yeah, it's like ~100 hours long.
It's a bigg'un.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:57 pm

On the plus side, it's all unique and interesting content, with the only really repetitive mechanics being the combat/dungeons (which are much improved in this game, to the point where I've actually been grinding a bit on purpose). So unlike Witcher 3 where the 80th+ hour starts to feel long in the tooth, I can't help but continue to be driven forward to play more until the very end.

As much as I REALLY want to know everything that happens, I guess it's a positive that it's an experience I can enjoy for a long long time.

And it definitely has its moments. Kawakami turning out to be a maid-for-hire who you can invite over to do chores is just the perfect kind of ridiculous, yet somehow remaining reasonable (I love how her attitude shifts when she stops being deliberately happy 'on the job'). Yusuke taking you to a church where you both end up performing funny gestures to emulate 'despair' (and the send-off pose :P). Sojiro both being particularly mercenary about your presence yet going to such lengths as teaching you how to brew coffee/make curry (and being happy with your work).

Oh, and the MASSIVE burgers you eat for the challenge. How the heck do you even manage the last one, anyways? It's larger than your head in every dimension!

It's all so well-made and exactly what I was hoping for in a new Persona game. I could gush about it all day (and I guess I... kind of am >.>).
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:05 am

Yeah, it's mostly that long because there's about twenty short stories crammed in there semi-visual-novel style.
Especially as the majority of dungeoneering is now not in randomly-generated environments, so there's less stuff you could easily class as purely mechanical padding.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:03 pm

Has anyone figured out what the heck is going on with the EXP system? I've looked it up online and there's a lot of people with answers and so far they all seem to be wrong.

In a recent battle it said I won 125EXP. The main character went from needing 666 to level up to needing around 625. The next battle it said I won 85EXP and I went to needing 540EXP to level up. The next battle is said I'd won 80-90 EXP and I went from needing 540 to 502. The first battle I killed two straight out and the remaining two were killed in an all-out attack. The second battle I killed the guy with an all-out attack. The third battle I killed all three with an all-out attack.

EXP does not seem to be split up across the party. Apparently the EXP your persona's earn is different to the EXP you earn and is calculated according to some formula no-one has figured out yet. People think that maybe the main character gets more EXP for talking it out than the rest of the party does.

My guess is that EXP is level-scaled. The middle battle where I won all of the EXP was against a level 21 shadow whilst I was level 21. The other two battles were mixes of level 11, 14 and 15 guys. They don't tell you how much you actually earn, because all your Persona's and party members are level scaled separately.

If so, it's frustrating because its really tricky to figure out how much EXP you're earning from running around an area. But it's a massive disincentive for grinding, I don't think I'm particularly ahead of the curve, maybe 3-4 levels, but EXP is being cut by two-thirds.

I guess ultimately that's probably better for me. Otherwise I absolutely would be grinding to maximise the use of my days. I picked up some SP recovery accessories before the 2nd dungeon and I'm pretty sure I can go infinite with them (I've already lost a couple of hours to grinding before I noticed the EXP was weird)
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:34 am

As I recall, Persona 3 also scaled experience according to the enemies' relative strength, even rewarding 0 EXP if you were sufficiently overpowering. So, I wouldn't doubt that Persona 5 performs similarly. (I also happen to know from personal experience that Persona 3 stores experience rewards in a 16-bit integer; it caps out at 65535 for a single battle.)

What I can't understand is why stated experience values wouldn't accord with observed experience gain, either for individual characters or parceled among a party of any mix of levels. Even if it's adjusting a baseline value by some level-determined factor, you'd never expect that adjustment to take place after a definite value has been revealed to the player. Even if that were the case, you'd strongly expect that level-adjusted experience would be balanced around a party of a given average level receiving the unaltered baseline experience value from an enemy formation of identical average level.

What you describe sounds more like voodoo than reward scaling. But it also sounds like way too much information is missing to draw a firm conclusion.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:01 am

Yes, SMT experience I think has always been level-scaled, and does so on a case-by-case basis.
So your personas are counted separately too when they're gaining experience.

Overlevelling is not a thing that's very doable in any of the games as a result. You have to be smart with fusions instead, which is what it's all about (as your stats are derived from your personas anyway).

I think the displayed number is the amount you are gaining for your current level? Although if that's a mismatch, might be doing it off your current persona instead? It's mostly a rough figure anyway, you only really want to punch things that are above your level if you're aiming to tip yourself over a threshold.
It's no biggie, basically.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:43 am

Thomas wrote:Has anyone figured out what the heck is going on with the EXP system? I've looked it up online and there's a lot of people with answers and so far they all seem to be wrong.

In a recent battle it said I won 125EXP. The main character went from needing 666 to level up to needing around 625. The next battle it said I won 85EXP and I went to needing 540EXP to level up. The next battle is said I'd won 80-90 EXP and I went from needing 540 to 502. The first battle I killed two straight out and the remaining two were killed in an all-out attack. The second battle I killed the guy with an all-out attack. The third battle I killed all three with an all-out attack.

EXP does not seem to be split up across the party. Apparently the EXP your persona's earn is different to the EXP you earn and is calculated according to some formula no-one has figured out yet. People think that maybe the main character gets more EXP for talking it out than the rest of the party does.

My guess is that EXP is level-scaled. The middle battle where I won all of the EXP was against a level 21 shadow whilst I was level 21. The other two battles were mixes of level 11, 14 and 15 guys. They don't tell you how much you actually earn, because all your Persona's and party members are level scaled separately.

If so, it's frustrating because its really tricky to figure out how much EXP you're earning from running around an area. But it's a massive disincentive for grinding, I don't think I'm particularly ahead of the curve, maybe 3-4 levels, but EXP is being cut by two-thirds.
It's definitely level-scaled. Both Persona 3 and 4 had the same mechanic.

Part of the reason it can seem to have wildly varying effects is probably because of the fact that enemies have wildly varying levels, even within the same group. So there may well be some averaging or something that is accounting for how the exp is parsed out.

I guess ultimately that's probably better for me. Otherwise I absolutely would be grinding to maximise the use of my days. I picked up some SP recovery accessories before the 2nd dungeon and I'm pretty sure I can go infinite with them (I've already lost a couple of hours to grinding before I noticed the EXP was weird)
Huh, you mean you got the Doctor ranked up that quickly? That's actually a little impressive, but the SP accessories are amazingly worth it. I just got mine after the fourth dungeon and it's been amazing not having to worry about running dry anymore. Though at this point I don't have to be so tight with my SP anyways since I can rely on back-up members for healing and my physical damage dealers (Ryuji/Yusuke) can often destroy most enemies. Also coffee.

Grinding is still somewhat beneficial, for money if nothing else, but definitely not essential by any means. I will say it doesn't take that many levels to notice a difference, as I've been consistently overleveled for most of the game so far and it's been... not easy, but not real dangerous EXCEPT THOSE DAMN ANUBIS ENEMIES WITH NO FRACKIN' WEAKNESSES AGHGAHGAHGH.

I actually ended up grinding quite a bit in the first two dungeons to burn off excess SP when I hit an endpoint, and I usually hate grinding. You can actually get pretty far if you rely a lot on physical moves and regular attacks, as it can be much cheaper to spend your SP on healing the damage you take compared to spending it knocking down foes with magic. It's more dangerous against tougher enemies since you often let them get attacks off, but manageable. Still, once you've gotten past the earlygame, it's not real necessary - the main danger is more likely to be mistakes in strategy rather than being under-leveled.

Ringwraith wrote:I think the displayed number is the amount you are gaining for your current level? Although if that's a mismatch, might be doing it off your current persona instead? It's mostly a rough figure anyway, you only really want to punch things that are above your level if you're aiming to tip yourself over a threshold.
It's no biggie, basically.
The displayed number doesn't seem to vary much, though, at least I was noticing it being fairly static while grinding. I know it doesn't match up with what your character earns, but I'm not sure about personas... not that leveling them is something to really focus on anyways. Fusion fusion fusion!

Getting into some real meat of the story now, and just finished summer break and the school trip. I'm really liking how things are turning out, and I've actually been able to call a couple of things ahead of time like the principal getting 'suicided'. It just makes me want to binge on it more to find out what happens next.

Also, I can't help but keep calling Akechi "Pleasant Boy" every time I see him now, just like his name card said. It's such a perfect way to describe how he looks, and I can't see him as anything else now.

Return to “Videogames”