grahams_xwing's Football Manager LP thingy

Daemian Lucifer

Re: grahams_xwing's Football Manager LP thingy

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:45 am

grahams_xwing wrote:Ah - you may be misinterpreting. Green circle indicates a win. List of names is our goalscorers....

Oh,right,you were playing at home.But wait,that means you arent the underdog.This whole lets play has been built on a false premise!Booo!!
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:50 pm

That can't be Blood Bowl, a halberd would be completely against the rules and would never be allowed on the pitch more than once. Now if you'll excuse me I need to go bribe the ref to let me Goblin keep his chainsaw.
grahams_xwing

Postby grahams_xwing » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:18 pm

The First Season
The season kicks of with a nice away tie to Rotherfield III. 2nd favourites to win the league, could be a tough game and seeing as I don't know what to expect, I persuade my new assistant to pick out the least worst 11 players for me. After gently removing the striker from the centre of the defence and replacing him with a slightly more logical pick - off we go.
15 minutes later and we are 2-0 up and cruising. Right winger Seb Schoburgh is playing a blinder, setting one up and scoring like the 30 year old ex pro that he is (well he played one game for Welling Town). The opposition pull one back before half time - 2-1, but that's how the game ends, with H&K having a further 13 shots on goal, not bad for a bunch of chancers who have never played together before.
Next up, 'The Cup'. Nothing quite so presitigious as the FA Cup - no this is the local Tester Challenge Cup. We've drawn fellow Division 10 side Ashurst Wood III - and they are dispatched 4-1.
I started to get pretty impressed with this squad after this result, but the following one against the actual favourites, Ringmer III, made me realise this league was going to be a doddle. We win 3-1, go top of the league and turn to look upwards rather than downwards. In three games we score 9 and only conceed 3, our main striker nets 3 times, but there are plenty of goals from other areas of the pitch.

I realise that the tiny leagues are going to leave us with a bit of a problem though. With only 10 teams in each league there are only 18 games in a season, meaning there are frequently two week gaps between matches. That, combined with the almost complete lack of training time due to not even being a part time club means none of my players are fit enough to actually last 90 minutes of football.
To remedy this I can arrange friendlies. These allow our players to stay fit, work on their cohesion and adds a welcome source of income (the gate income from those 10 people that come to every game adds up slowly). Aslo - as it's becoming clear this league is probably going to be a walkover due to the Human vs AI advantage down at this level - I can set up friendlies against higher rated teams as an experiment... IN the first half of the season we arrange games against clubs up to 14 levels above us...
Smashed it
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:45 pm

grahams_xwing wrote:(the gate income from those 10 people that come to every game adds up slowly)
*ahem* You're welcome.
grahams_xwing

Postby grahams_xwing » Wed May 03, 2017 7:16 pm

Welp - this was a bust....

I've played through a further 3 seasons without posting and all because of one fateful email from the board.

You see - Season 1 I won the league. Not a massive shock, but we picked up the cup as well and got a few achievements. Fast forward to the start of season two (in the heights of Division 9) and the board drop into a meeting the phrase "We expect you to win promotion to Division 8 by winning the League" and " We expect you to win the Cup". Ahhh. The reputation jump from the double is so significant at this level I'm now expected to win everything I touch.

So - this LP goes in one of two directions.
1. I win everything and I mean EVERYTHING
2. I get fired.

1 is boring, 2 means game over or starting with another club (to be fair I do have a ridiculous amount of job offers each month already)

FYI I, in October of year 4, Top of Division 7. I have a ridiculous 89% win percentage and have only failed to win one competition that I have entered.
Great power trip for me, terrible to write or read about.

So - Sorry about that guys! Didn't just wan't to abandon the thread. I suppose the opening posts can stay as an example both of what FM is (for the uninitiated) and a 'how not to' of Let's Plays.
dudecon

Postby dudecon » Wed May 03, 2017 8:10 pm

grahams_xwing wrote:Welp - this was a bust....Great power trip for me, terrible to write or read about.

So - Sorry about that guys! Didn't just wan't to abandon the thread. I suppose the opening posts can stay as an example both of what FM is (for the uninitiated) and a 'how not to' of Let's Plays.
At least you enjoyed the power trip and didn't waste your time or ours doing a boring write-up.
For what it's worth, Good Job!
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Wed May 03, 2017 8:30 pm

This was my favourite kind of LP - one where the person involved knows a bunch about something quirky, but it can be helped if it's too trivial! I agree an 89% win-rate isn't much to write home about.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Thu May 04, 2017 8:45 pm

A shame; SpammyV draws one step closer to the Quickening.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu May 04, 2017 8:52 pm

grahams_xwing wrote:or starting with another club (to be fair I do have a ridiculous amount of job offers each month already)

And that would be bad how?
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Fri May 05, 2017 6:03 am

The Rocketeer wrote:A shame; SpammyV draws one step closer to the Quickening.

In his case I think it's "One step closer to becoming Gundamu"...

Return to “Videogames”