The Walking Dead - Dead?

Thomas

The Walking Dead - Dead?

Postby Thomas » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:11 am

Owners of The Walking Dead Season 1 on Steam: 2.2 million.
Owners of The Walking Dead Season 2 on Steam: 1.2 million
Owners of The Walking Dead Season 3 on Steam: 160,000

There are a lot of complicating factors there sure, the other two have had years of legacy sales, season 3 isn't even finished yet. The PS4 and Xbox One have large install bases and now host Telltale games. But I'd say people the amount people have been talking about Season 3, feels like a games that's going to sell a couple of hundred thousand, not a million.

That's not death, but it's not great. Batman's numbers are slightly worse, and I can't help but notice that the order of best-selling modern Telltale games is pretty much release data in reverse.
Daemian Lucifer

Re: The Walking Dead - Dead?

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:41 pm

If you ignore all the stuff they did before the walking dead,that is.And seeing how early sam and max are at the bottom of that list,this is certainly not the worst for the company.If they managed to make all their games with such a low budget before,then they have plenty stashed to continue to do this for a loong time.

Though I do hope they make another actual puzzle game,because I liked those more then the formulaic ones they are doing now.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:31 pm

While all the games have been good, I think The Walking Dead Season 1 was the real standout because it was the experience. It was the big news item, swept the internet by storm, had people crying every time.

But man I forgot about Strong Bad's Cool Game 4 Attractive People. I need to get that again.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:24 am

Eh, I was meh about the Walking Dead. The dreariness kind of gets boring after a while.

The Tales of The Borderlands? MASSIVE FAN. So massive that I went and played Borderlands because of it. And it's hundred times better than it's source.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:27 am

I really thought I'd like games that focus on choices + emotional impact of those choices. This includes Telltale games and others like "Life is Strange" and "Until Dawn". The truth is I hate them. I've found them to be dreary, annoying and fake. What happens to me in those games is that there is one or more situations where I as the player am put at odds with the player character. Soon as that happens it is game over.

In "The Walking Dead Season 1" there were a few spots this happened in small ways. Then it was decided we were going to break into a survivor camp and steal batteries. I did not want to mug people. It was justified for dumb reasons. It had to happen for the story. So I was out. Once you emotionally divest from the story that is driven entirely by emotional investment then it's just a shit game with less interactivity than solitaire. With "Life is Strange" it happened pretty early. I'm not a teenage girl and had a hard time connecting with the main character, and hated all the other characters. I finally decided I was going to play it for the time powers. I would see the outcomes of every choice, then decide based on that. By coincidence the very next choice I made (purposely what I did not want because I was going to undo it) was locked in with no way to undo it. I felt cheated by the game with a bait & switch. I was instantly done with it. I cannot enjoy playing those games. I can enjoy someone else playing them. I enjoyed the Spoiler Warning of "Until Dawn". I would have hated playing it.

I can believe the numbers Thomas posted and I'm not surprised by them. The more you see behind the curtain, the more the magic trick is revealed, and the less it works next time. The genre is 'deep' without an inch of 'depth'.
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:09 pm

Hold on, which was the locked choice? I just remember one where you can't rewind at all? And I thought the game made it clear something was up there, though maybe I'm wrong.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:10 pm

It was immediately before Chloe leaves the school with Max. There is a set of choices you cannot undo because you leave. It was the final straw for me.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:17 pm

Wasnt there a "I should probably rewind" prompt from max after the final conversation in that area?I think that was the standard pretty much in every area except for the few ones where you didnt have your powers.

Return to “Videogames”