Pokemon Fire Red RTR: Team Invasive Species

Trix2000

Re: Pokemon Fire Red RTR: Team Invasive Species

Postby Trix2000 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:13 am

You know, it's may be a little juvenile, but one thing I really really enjoy in the Pokemon games (and others, really) is that feeling you mention of "Oh, you have NO idea who you are dealing with!" and the resulting stompage that follows. That catharsis that comes with knowing you have a team of super-powered 'mons that can destroy any dastardly forces that are up to no good nearby. The knowledge that you can just walk into an island full of rowdy biker dudes and wreck them for their hubris.

I dunno, it's just oddly satisfying.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:55 am

Update may be delayed on account of Imgur doing that thing again where it fails to upload a third or more of the images and what it does upload it scrambles out of position.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:53 pm

I mean, Photobucket isn't hardly a site that runs well, but Photobucket would usually have just one or two failed uploads out of an update, not either or ten. And Photobucket allows you to sort by filename whereas with Imgur I have to try to trick the site into uploading the entire update in order and even that doesn't work sometimes.

UPDATE 33! SCENIC BERRY FOREST: WHERE HYPNO'S REPUTATION WENT TO DIE.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:21 pm

I've been wondering for a while: what are you waiting to evolve Kazumi for? The only move it has left to learn in Gen III is Extrasensory, a middling offensive move that doesn't get STAB, all the way at Lv. 49. Is the Seedot line's moveset so bad that that's worth holding out for in this generation?

Speaking of, there should have been a Solar Beam TM in Cinnabar Mansion, if you're into that kind of thing.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:09 pm

At 80 power with a chance to cause flinching I wouldn't necessarily say that Extrasensory is middling. Mostly I'm being in decisive. Kazumi is guaranteed going to have Sunny Day, Solar Beam, and Faint Attack; I just can't make up my mind whether she keeps Fake Out (which is a hilarious move I love) or goes for the higher damage/greater type coverage option of Extrasensory.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:18 pm

If you have nothing better, and I guess Gen III Nuzleaf doesn't, it's not a bad move. But if I was already on the fence about learning it or keeping another move I liked, I'd have taken that 140-point base stat boost thirteen levels ago after learning the gloriously-mistranslated Faint Attack. But then, I am a dog in a cowboy hat, so I don't always make optimal strategic choices.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:57 am

Would it be racist to say I've always thought of you more as a cat in a cabbie hat?
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:39 am

Speaking as a gorilla in a bowler hat, strategy is the most important skill in any game. Aim doesn't matter if you have a lightning gun, but knowing when to use your jump pack and shield is vital.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:14 am

Hats are for chumps. I go unadorned.

SpammyV wrote:At 80 power with a chance to cause flinching I wouldn't necessarily say that Extrasensory is middling. Mostly I'm being in decisive. Kazumi is guaranteed going to have Sunny Day, Solar Beam, and Faint Attack; I just can't make up my mind whether she keeps Fake Out (which is a hilarious move I love) or goes for the higher damage/greater type coverage option of Extrasensory.
Yeah, it's not a bad move at all, and having psychic coverage might be situationally useful. 80 power isn't too bad compared to most moves given it has no real downsides - the flinching is more of a bonus, not really something I'd rely on.

Basically if you need more coverage against poison/fighting/etc types, it might be good to have if you don't have a more pressing concern... although if we're talking pure competitive for some reason I don't think the move even enters into the picture.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:44 am

EDIT: Thanks Photobucket, you're awesome.
Last edited by SpammyV on Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:29 pm

Honestly, I have a soft spot for LPs that do the face dialog thing (Pokemon or not).
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:54 am

Same, but then I'm a huge connoisseur of screenshot LPs.

And speaking of screenshots, I am giving serious thought to ending my use of Imgur. While my computer's problems are likely just due to it being ancient, vising Imgur feels like it leads to my browser locking my computer up. Photobucket doesn't load quickly by any stretch, but I don't remember Photobucket creating more serious problems than "The page loads slowly."

Imgur just does not work for LPing purposes. It isn't even my first choice to host pictures. The fact that Imgur has to rename all your files means that if you do like I do and order the file names in use order, Imgur throws all that work out the window. And even if their new filenames are in an order equal identical to the original filename order, it does you no good because you cannot sort images by filename. Imgur seems to have more failed uploads than Photobucket does, especially recently. Also unique to Imgur is this problem where at random it chooses to duplicate an image and stick the duplicated image at the top of the post. Which isn't just a problem with me, Rocketeer, The has commented on one of them that I swear must have happened after I double-checked the post.

And I wouldn't even want to use Imgur just for hosting purposes right now, because I have to click to access Imgur embedding links whereas on Photobucket I can see them while browsing.

I have every intent of finishing this LP, but at this point I'm not sure what form it will take besides "Not Imgur."
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:06 am

Sucks to hear that, but I guess I can't blame you. I have shit Internet (even when Tropical Storm Cindy isn't rolling overhead), and the Emerald LP took ages to load once more than a couple updates stacked up on one page. Even the single post above with that (heart-melting) face dialog takes uncomfortably long to load. The switch to Imgur was a instrumental to my ability to follow along.

Trix2000 wrote:Honestly, I have a soft spot for LPs that do the face dialog thing (Pokemon or not).
It's the hallmark of great screenshot LP's! By which I mean it became a hallmark of LP's by TheDarkId and Nakar, which are some of the best out there, and make for a really convenient way to present game dialog outside of the screenshots themselves.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:46 pm

So it turns out, Wordpress does let you put in images with HTML tags. It's just that every time you copy them over, you have to delete an extraneous space that breaks the link.

I wish I'd known THAT months ago.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:27 pm

WELP. Photobucket's doing a Viddler on me and is trying to charge me for hosting. Nuts to that. Let's watch with amusement to see if all the Photobucket-hosted images I've posted everywhere disappear.

In the meantime as I put updates together I'll still need an image host. A site that runs terribly might be better than a site that shoots itself in the foot, or something.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:55 pm

SpammyV wrote:WELP. Photobucket's doing a Viddler on me and is trying to charge me for hosting.

An apt comparison, since both basically decided to commit suicide in some misguided attempt to improve their bottom line.

I mean, I get that they might have been struggling for income (or maybe just wanted more for investors, I dunno), but this seems like a particularly stupid way to go about it. It's one thing to introduce a new cost for people to pay for more service, but to basically say "we're taking away what we already gave you unless you pay up" is just short of extortion which is going to drive away more business than it generates. There are other image sites out there (heck, I never really liked Photobucket to begin with) so why would people stick with the one willing to metaphorically stab them in the back?

It really makes me curious about what sort of thinking/planning goes into a decision like this.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:40 am

Trix2000 wrote:
SpammyV wrote:WELP. Photobucket's doing a Viddler on me and is trying to charge me for hosting.

An apt comparison, since both basically decided to commit suicide in some misguided attempt to improve their bottom line.

I mean, I get that they might have been struggling for income (or maybe just wanted more for investors, I dunno), but this seems like a particularly stupid way to go about it. It's one thing to introduce a new cost for people to pay for more service, but to basically say "we're taking away what we already gave you unless you pay up" is just short of extortion which is going to drive away more business than it generates. There are other image sites out there (heck, I never really liked Photobucket to begin with) so why would people stick with the one willing to metaphorically stab them in the back?

It really makes me curious about what sort of thinking/planning goes into a decision like this.

As someone who's been working for a poorly run company the past few months: a lot of thinking and planning about the wrong things and not enough about the basics of the business.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:03 am

Supahewok wrote:As someone who's been working for a poorly run company the past few months: a lot of thinking and planning about the wrong things and not enough about the basics of the business.
Heh, I know, it was somewhat of a rhetorical question combined with wishing I could peek inside the minds of some people.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:07 am

UPDATE 34! THE LONG AWAITED FINAL MEETING!

I can't control which Gyms are impossible and which are chumps with my random teams.

Note that with STAB boosted normal damage, Kazumi was hitting the more defensive of the Nidos for about the same damage as Tidehollow as doing supereffectively to the less defensive one. If she hadn't gotten her speed halved I'd have probably let her stay in until the sun ran out.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:30 pm

I always found him to be a pushover. Ground is just not a very good defensive type. :/

At least they give you Earthquake instead of Fissure, because frankly any of the OHKO moves are just pointless RNG to make you nervous whenever they show up.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:39 pm

Also his Khangaskan was what was scary and it was notably absent here.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:54 pm

Obviously, he made an example of it for its prior failures.

...Or maybe he just really doesn't like winning.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:52 am

Look for a weekend update. Hopefully we'll be ready to lock in the safety bar, no getting off the track until we hit the epilogue.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:12 pm

SpammyV wrote:Look for a weekend update. Hopefully we'll be ready to lock in the safety bar, no getting off the track until we hit the epilogue.

I WANT TO GET OFF MR. BONES' WILD RIDE.

...More seriously, looking forward to it.

Return to “Videogames”