Pokemon Fire Red RTR: Team Invasive Species

The Rocketeer

Re: Pokemon Fire Red RTR: Team Invasive Species

Postby The Rocketeer » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:00 pm

Prof. Oak: "God damn it, Spamira! I gave you a 4.2 million ¥ Pokédex so you could actually document the Pokémon of Kanto, not get rich letting other trainers abuse a baby elephant!"
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:36 pm

"...Fake Out can miss?"

It DOES have an accuracy value. :P
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:06 am

UPDATE 16? Or is it 15.5? Either way, FINE HERE YOU GO!

A short update because that's how it shook out with my playtime, and also it's been a real busy week for me so the short update I did ahead of time works while I try to get more material ready.

Drowzee's sprite really has a nasty look in this game.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:03 am

Bah, real Pokemon trainers bumble around in the dark! Who needs HMs?

Though, funny story, back when I originally played Red as a kid, I actually ended up missing a number of important things... namely Cut and Flash. Cut I eventually got because you literally couldn't progress without it (I was stuck for quite a while, though), but Flash I think I never ended up getting.

Which, yeah, made Rock Tunnel a LOT of fun. I still don't know how I managed it.
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:58 am

With the games that only had one palette, you could swap that out by holding down different button combinations at system startup. One of them made trainer sprites visible in Rock Tunnel.

I think I got Flash, and still did that, because Flash and Strength were honestly kind of a pain in gen I, IME. I was fine with Cut, Fly, and Surf, but Flash and Strength... ugh.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:09 pm

Strength was... okay. At least it could be used as a (slightly) effective attack. Flash was (and is) just worthless.

Though I hope we can all agree the move away from HMs was a good one.
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:40 pm

I meant in terms of using them as field moves. Using Cut was quick, and also let you clear grass, so it felt nice. Fly was quick and fun. Surf let you get to new places, and fight new things.

Then with Strength, you had some annoying block-pushing puzzles that could easily get into a state that would make you reset (and also tended to reset really easily, similar to Cut but annoying), and Flash let you convert a terrible cave into a normal cave. Whoo-hoo...

(Teleport was fun, too.)
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:17 pm

I think I pretty often just blindly groped through Dark Cave. I played those games often enough that I could just remember the layout, mostly, and yeah, Flash was an awful enough move that I didn't want to teach it to any of my Pokemon, or make an HM slave.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:59 am

The weekend update wasn't in the cards with how busy this week turned out. But there'll be a Wednesday update. Hoo boy are there things to show.

It's like you're walking down the sidewalk of the neighborhood you grew up in but haven't been to since you were ten and you're thinking back to the cute girl who lived down the street from your house who was always short for her age but you got along very well but hadn't seen each other since, and you're wondering if she still lives here until you're shocked out of your nostalgia when this six foot two chick wearing sunglasses and a leather jacket rolls by you on a growling motorcycle, stops, turns back to you and pushes her glasses up to get a better look before addressing you by name and you had no idea that puberty could be so transforming.

It's gonna be like that.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:32 am

Okay, wow, we interrupt this regularly scheduled LP to bring you "Scenes from Spammy's March to Manhood."
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:13 am

Please The Rocketeer my new manga series My Childhood Friend is a Six Foot Tall Streetfighter?! is only semi autobiographical.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:57 am

...My fool of a brain decided that by 'semi' you meant the truck, and now I don't know what to think.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:00 am

Hey, now: promotion for your self-indulgent smut doesn't go here. It goes to my inbox at rocco.torrido@10daygetslimsecrets.cm. Now hurry up and get Vol. 4 out the door.

I suppose I brought it on myself, but I'll always find it odd when people include the definite article in terms of personal address; reminds me too much of another fine looking young man.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:55 am

Whatever you say Rocketeer, The.

GET YOUR MOURNING CLOTHES OUT IT'S UPDATE 17! ROCK TUNNEL: WHERE POKEMANIACS' REPUTATION WENT TO DIE!

But for real though is it just me or are Campers/Picknickers really freaking thirsty?
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:54 pm

[spammy note: heh heh the game said 420]

And with such convenient timing!

[spammy note: is this the only game with Pokemon Centers outside of towns?]

No, pretty sure they do in a few or perhaps even all of the games, though I'm having some trouble remembering specifics. I know the most recent games had a couple (like the one at the base of the mountain, and the top of the mountain).

"Woah... hold on you feel that? It feels like things just got... spookier."

2spooky4me
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:10 am

Although I checked and apparently I'm not the only one that finds the FR/LG version of Lavender Town to be less spooky. Maybe it's just the association with nine billion terrible Pokemon creepypastas but the very droning, artificial original is a little more spooky than the GBA version which can actually better simulate instruments. With the drumbeat going in the GBA version it makes it sound almost to me like something that could be played in-universe at a ceremony.

And the HG/SS version isn't Lavender Town it's Hyrule Castle Town with Lavender Town's intro.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:35 am

Gen I creepypastas have a severe handicap, even beyond the nigh-infallibly awful quality of video game creepypastas: they should be most effective on people who played the games as kids; however, that demographic is vehemently predisposed to regarding any unusual stories about the games as garbage fucking lies. You can't pierce the cynicism hard-earned by learning that Pokégods aren't real, you can't catch Yoshi, you can't battle Professor Oak, there is jack and shit under that unreachable truck, or any of a billion other lies we were told in grade school and then continued to spread for the sake of revenge.

Besides, the actual creepy shit in Gen I has to be seen to be believed.
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:05 am

I caught a Phanphy in Pokemon Go today! In your honour, I named it Bleminda.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:28 pm

"Look Belinda! You're an inspiration!"

UPDATE 18! "Bless your Pokemon-loving heart, girl."

Yeah I tried to make things a little spooky. But actually there's no way I can be spookier than Gen 1 glitches. If you ever want to imagine the infernal fluting and piping that surrounds Azathoth, Female Symbol's cry/song is probably as close as you're getting.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:06 pm

Tragically, the videos associated with that LP I linked died the death of Viddler, and with them, the recordings of the wretched glitch monsters' tortured wails. I'm sure they can be found elsewhere, but hearing them in situ is just superior. That LP is such a fantastic crawl through Blue Hell, and the loss of those resources is a cruel blow.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:09 am

It's okay, you can still listen to Female Symbols' masterpiece here.

Although I kinda want to smack the Internet a bit. Everyone besides one person in that glitch exhibition keeps trying to turn Female Symbol into some kind of horrible feminine siren made out of black and red blotches and scratch marks when THERE'S A FACE RIGHT THERE! THERE'S A FACE OF EVIL RIGHT THERE IN THE GLITCH! PUT DOWN YOUR SMUT ABOUT ELDER GODDESSES SHREDDING YOUR BRAIN WITH CACOPHONOUS MELODIES AND LOOK AT WHAT'S STARING RIGHT AT YOU!

I mean come on do me a favor next time you're going to sleep look at your closet door and imagine Female Symbol's face right there and tell me how well you sleep after that.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:59 am

A face? Oh, you mean this face?

Last edited by The Rocketeer on Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:03 pm

Why did I even check the thread before bed I should know what you're gonna post
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:16 pm

Sorry, sorry. That was inconsiderate. Tell you what: if you still can't sleep tonight, I'll sing you a lullaby. They tell me I've got pipes.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:35 am

I approve of this change.

Return to “Videogames”