Pokemon Fire Red RTR: Team Invasive Species

SpammyV

Re: Pokemon Fire Red RTR: Team Invasive Species

Postby SpammyV » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:34 pm

I guess I also like the idea of the big mama punching someone's lights out into next week. But I mean they're nearly the same Pokemon anyway.

Also Gamefreak still hasn't hardcoded in allowing the Nido line to breed like they actually should.

I hope you guys like Vermilion because just talking to people in town and doing the SS Anne is like three update's worth.

There's a lot of people on the SS Anne.
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:58 pm

Bulbapedia claims that as of Gen V the males can produce both kinds of egg with a Ditto. Or is there some other issue?
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:34 am

I would have thought that Nidoking line + Nidoqueen line would be 50/50 chance of producing a male or female Nidoran egg. Or they would have introduced a hold item (like what you need to get baby Pokemon) to allow the 50/50 split. And it's also

UPDATE 11! GOING FROM GETTING CREEPED OUT TO GETTING ON THE BOAT OF MY DREAMS!

Also I open up about Pokemon I want to train.
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:39 am

They could have just fixed it back in Gen II when all Pokemon got a gender and made the two Nidorans the same bloody species with different evolutionary lineages by gender, as was obviously intended...
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:24 am

I've got a Farfetch'd in my Gen VI team. Not a part of my core lineup, but rather I put it in the lead when I go hunting for wild Pokemon, since Farfetch'd happens to know False Swipe. Using it in that capacity led to it becoming rapidly overpowered, and it ballooned into the Level 80+ range while my core team was still in the fifties and low sixties.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:47 pm

PokeScientists have just discovered male and female Nidoran's can breed with each other! The world is stunned by this revelation!
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:59 pm

Thomas wrote:PokeScientists have just discovered male and female Nidoran's can breed with each other! The world is stunned by this revelation!

"Wow how did we miss this," said one scientist. "I mean the female eggs have to come from somewhere but we never saw one being laid and hatching before now."

"What the heck have we been doing with our lives," said another.

Also my warm fuzzy non-practical thought right now how stacked Farfetch'd can get its crit chance. If I'm understanding the formula right a Farfetch'd with a Stick and using a high-crit chance move gets +3 stages which will always crit after Gen VI. Just the stick itself gives Farfetch'd +2 stages so that's 50% crit chance on every move.

Damn now I'm all hyped up about Farfetch'd I think I might have to find a Platinum hack or something and do all Pokemon that are cool as hell that I've never really used.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:49 pm

It's time for Update 12! This was a nice cruise, and then YOU showed up.

Someone draw a Chimecho slamming into a Kadabra and knocking the wind out of it.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Nuzleaf's back sprite looks like it's holding its head, saying, "OH, HOW COULD I LET THIS HAPPEN?!"

So from my reader's perspective, posting updates on imgur has been a smashing success. How does it compare to posting them here? More of a headache? Less?
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:29 pm

It works, but I don't know that I'm especially enthusiastic about it. I'm still not extremely wild about having an off-site link for each update, even though I do recognize that Imgur does handle loading 80-100+ images better than these forums. And while it does work for how I do Pokemon games it wouldn't really work for some other games I'd want to one day LP for you folks (read: Super Robot Wars). But otherwise Imgur doesn't interfere with my process too much, although I wish that they would upload and sort by original filename and not randomly jerk images around. I basically have to trick Imgur into uploading the images in order by selecting them in order.

Also get used to that sprite because Ojou's staying that way for a long time.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:20 am

As effective as it is at building suspense, the very first picture is out of context. WHAT COULD THE MAIN COURSE BE?!

With the departure of the SS Anne, I always think about a legendary moment in a different Let's Play: HuskyStarcraft's total bypass of the SS Anne, a wonderful moment that will live in ignominy forever. In my heart, at least.

I wondered if you would read the captain's book before speaking to him or not. I thought the book mentioned that a back rub would help cure seasickness, but maybe it doesn't. Maybe it's common knowledge to some people, or in Japan, but I've never heard it anywhere outside of Pokémon, and it always seemed so bizarre that you'd walk up to someone puking into a bucket and start rubbing their back for no reason.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:39 am

Boy oh boy I love it when I get done reviewing a post and making sure all the images are in order and putting the link out there and finding out that IMGUR RANDOMLY DUPLICATED AN IMAGE AND STUCK IT IN THE FRONT FOR NO REASON.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:21 am

The Rocketeer wrote:Maybe it's common knowledge to some people, or in Japan, but I've never heard it anywhere outside of Pokémon, and it always seemed so bizarre that you'd walk up to someone puking into a bucket and start rubbing their back for no reason.
Don't know, but in my mind there really aren't any situations a person should be randomly rubbing the back of someone they don't know, sick or not. ESPECIALLY when the people involved are a teenage girl and an older man. At least the situation wasn't reversed...

Granted, back in the original versions you didn't have the option to be a girl... but I don't think that improves things much.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:37 pm

I'll be honest, there's two things in Vermillion that make me really agree that Game Freak had no idea that Pokemon would be the hit that it was, and I think at least until Gen III they were operating under an assumption that the world of Pokemon wasn't a world so much as it was a slightly different Japan. The Pokemon anime had regular real-world fish in it. The chef's line about beef probably fuel for the "Do people eat Pokemon" debate. And, since we're on this topic, Lt. Surge being explicitly American. Would he be Unovan now? Because I don't think they've ever referenced America since. I mean, it makes a certain amount of sense to me that, if in Gen I we were in Slightly Different Japan and not The Pokemon World, that Surge would be an American serviceman who used to be stationed on a base and chose to stay.

I'll be honest I'm a little bit of the opinion now that Gen I and II needed to be re-imagined to align them with the developments in the setting (so as also to avoid Oak saying there's 150 Pokemon [how does he know about Mewtwo?]) and back away from referencing real-world countries like that. But judging by some things that the lead translator said, Game Freak was extremely uptight about GAME TEXT IS GAME TEXT WE DO NOT ALTER THE ORIGINAL.
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:07 am

I think I've seen pictures which say that the coastlines of the first few Pokemon maps (I think up to Gen IV?) line up pretty well with segments of the Japanese coastline as well. I don't think that they map particularly well to the local towns or anything (considering that Japanese towns and highways don't align themselves to a square grid), but separating the Pokemon-verse from the real world was obviously a long and slow process.
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:43 pm

Yup, Gen I's Kanto is literally just the Kanto region of Japan, geographically speaking. Johto is based on the Kansai region apparently (this one looks the least like where it's based, to my eyes). Hoenn is based on Kyushu, the southernmost major island of Japan and Sinnoh is based on Hokkaido. Unova is the Pokemon equivalent of America, but the map doesn't look very similar at all, and Kalos is France, and the Alola is Hawaii.

They've always been doing the "loosely based on real places, geographically" thing, it seems like the main difference is that Gen I hadn't decided to rename everything yet. (And Unova and Kalos are sort of outliers, as they're based on areas that are too big to really be called a "region", and have been shrunk quite a bit.

I can't remember for sure how consistent the games have been about having non-Pokemon animals.

It's the "Yes, there's definitely only 150 Pokemon and we don't know where any new Pokemon come from" thing that's the most jarring about Gen I, in retrospect, personally.
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:46 pm

Unova is mostly kind of a remix of New York City, with random geographical changes.
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:12 pm

Okay, yeah, that makes sense. I guess it's just Kalos that's the outlier that's based on a much larger region than what the game reflects, then.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:07 pm

Did you know that Gamer was a trainer class in Gen I? You do now! And you also know to click on that image to get taken Update 14!
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:10 pm

Putting bold, underlined text that's not a hyperlink, next to a image, which is. Most mild April Fools prank ever.

SpammyV wrote:Did you know that Gamer was a trainer class in Gen I? You do now!

Technically not true; it was actually "Gambler" in Gen I, but they changed it to "Gamer" for the Gen III remakes. ("Gamer" didn't sound right to me, so I looked it up)
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:30 pm

Which is even stranger because to people outside the hobby, even moreso when the remakes were released, "gamer" still meant gambler and gambling has heavily negative connotations. But then I suppose that the gambling in the game hadn't caught up to them yet either.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:50 am

So the howling vacuum of meaning in my life kept bugging me, until I finally realized I hadn't read the latest update!

Kind of a D: update, though.

SpammyV wrote:[spammy note: i'm not sure anyone has made an off-road capable carbon fiber folding bike that wouldn't cost you an arm and a leg to have special made]
Well, I guess that explains the million-dollar price tag.

Spamira V. wrote:Cop Jerk: "In LAVENDER TOWN, there's a man who rates POKéMON nicknames. He can even help you rename your POKéMON, too.
Spamira: "But I don't think there's anything I want to change. Except myself. Because I want to get stronger."
Do you think he can rate the name "Spamira?"
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:42 pm

I'm making the call that there will only be a weekend update this week, I won't be able to work in a post tonight with the project I have to work on. But here's a preview of the next update for the Belinda fan(s) in the audience.

Her opponent fell, but Belinda stood tall. Panting, pained, but unbroken Belinda stared ahead, with a fire in her eyes that only raged harder the more challenge she faced. As her most recent opponent was withdrawn back into its Pokeball she lifted her head up, raising her trunk and releasing a trumpeting roar of challenge and defiance that echoed through the Gym.

Return to “Videogames”