Pokemon Fire Red RTR: Team Invasive Species

SpammyV

Re: Pokemon Fire Red RTR: Team Invasive Species

Postby SpammyV » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:08 am

Thank you, I'll try to add more personality to things.

I am concerned about hearing the forum issues though. I'm feeling like this forum software wasn't made to handle lots of images at once, and I don't think there's a way to hide lots of text until the reader clicks a button like some flashier forums have. Would people click through if I hosted updates on an off-site blog or something?
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:13 am

Yeah, I'd been having problems with loading so many images at once, too. I started thinking that if I were doing a similar thing, I'd make each update its own post on imgur.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:04 am

I feel a little leery about Imgur, I don't know how well that would accomodate my writing. I tried loading the post onto my old blog, but that doesn't allow for side-by-side images. Which I'm sort of attached to for saving screen space and letting things flow a little more. I think one or two updates on a page wouldn't be too bad, but we don't generate that kind of posting volume. I could just go back to doing only play-by-plays of Gym Leader battles.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:12 am

What, specifically, don't you think it would accommodate? Your writing format for these posts is typically a picture followed by anywhere from a few words to a couple lines of text, which is pretty ideally suited to imgur's caption space. Although, captions can be any length, meaning you can just add a line break and take as much space as you need talking about strategy or future plans or whatever. The one thing it would lack is the typical text formatting tools of the forum: italics, spoilers, etc.

I'd be sad if you scaled things back basically just to gym leader battles, though. I've grown fond of the running play-by-play.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:23 am

Does Imgur allow you to mass rearrange the images in an album? I've messed around with it for like five minutes and it appears like new images are always pushed to the top. I always select the final images to use by giving them sequential numbering and it seems like for Imgur I'd have to upload in reverse order or manually reorder 80+ images.

And also, thank you. That's an incredibly kind thing to say.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:48 pm

SpammyV wrote:Does Imgur allow you to mass rearrange the images in an album?
Yes, I'm pretty sure. I don't use imgur much, usually just to upload stupid shit like screenshots of a horse in Skyrim, where it doesn't really matter what order images are in. I've seen allusions by posters to having messed with the order of images during and after posting, so I assumed it was sort of a standard feature.
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:04 pm

I looked into this, and what I found was help threads asking "where did the sort feature go"?

You can rearrange them manually, but that kind of... sucks... IMO.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:58 pm

I realized the best way to settle the question was just to test it, so I uploaded a random bunch of images into an album, and it seems like rearranging them is pretty simple. There's just a button on the right that says "Rearrange Images" that lets you drag and drop images wherever you need them in the album.

Now, if you're talking about an album of 80 images or more (are your posts really that image heavy? I wouldn't have guessed) that might be a big job, but as long as you upload them in roughly the order you need them in, it shouldn't need that much rejiggering.

EDIT: Although, looking at it now, it doesn't seem to have arranged the images after upload in nearly the same order as they were in when I dragged and dropped them from the folder they were in onto the web page. Maybe there's a way to force a stricter upload order— I'd hope so— but I'll have to keep fiddling with it.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:57 pm

Looks alright that way, though if I'm honest I didn't have too many issues before - just forum software not doing offsets properly. :P

The "Imgur thing" seems to work out alright anyways (also I never really thought about how creepy Bill actually was).
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:52 am

I mean, if you're not aware of what the plot of The Fly is and you haven't seen The Thing you'd probably assume that this is just a normal Clefairy suddenly talking. But if you have seen those things then you can't not see something terrible in your mind's eye.

And where did the Clefairy go?
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:08 am

I think the game majorly undersold the idea that Bill just happened to have a machine that could weld two organisms into one stable whole. He essentially has a real-life, functional version of the Pokemon Fusion widget.

Say someone brings this guy an Alakazam and a Machamp and says, "I want these two things to be one unstoppable thing," or brings this guy a Dragonite and says, "I wanna be a dragon." Or someone says, "Wire up a third pod; I wanna twist all three legendary birds together." What can this machine do?
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:39 pm

SpammyV wrote:And where did the Clefairy go?
NOTHING TO SEE HERE MOVE ALONG.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:58 pm

Oh and: Reminder that in Generation II, Bill invents a time machine to allow you to trade Pokemon between Gen I and Gen II. But you can't trade anything from Gen II back to Gen I because it didn't exist in the past. And the generations are only three years apart in-universe.

It's probably not profitable to ever think about timeline or technology in the Pokemon universe except in a very general sense.

so wait are Gen I, Gen III, and Gen VI all simultaneous???
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:58 am

I forget what I was trying to clear up for myself, but I ran across something a few months back that basically advanced the idea that there are multiple timelines with alternate pasts. It went something like I and II, III and IV, V and VI, and I don't think VII had started when the image was created. So, that, like FRLG aren't in the same timeline as RBY, just the same temporal position, or something.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:10 am

Now THIS is an update! Fantastic stuff.

Suggestion: put "Spammy's notes" in [brackets.] Brackets (with italics, not possible on imgur) are standard for setting apart comments by a third party, usually an editor. Nothing wrong with the current format, really, just something to consider.

On the Cerulean gym's sign, a mystery person wrote:LEADER: MISTY
The Tomboyish Mermaid!
Who writes these blurbs on the signs, anyway? Some of them, like this one, aren't necessarily flattering. Do the leaders make them themselves, or does that asshole that loiters in every gym's foyer just tag up the sign with his unsolicited opinion? On some faraway mountain someday, is there going to be a sign reading "LEADER: SPAMMY," and then underneath in black hobby paint, "The Shirtless Lance-Wannabe!"?

I remember that Starmie always being a wrecking machine. Checking Bulbapedia, I see that it has a serious base stat total of 520, which is just slightly below Gen I's starter's final forms' stat totals. Though not legitimately possible to have a level 21 Blastoise (base stat total 530), Misty's Starmie would theoretically be a near-even statistical match for one. If Misty actually had the brains to teach her Psychic-type Starmie a Psychic-type move (like, say, Psychic), it would make a brutal surprise for trainers expecting to walk over Cerulean gym with their Grass/Poison-type Ivysaur (stat total 405).

Not that this is how the game works, but I always kinda imagined that the Staryu gets beaten down, then hulks the fuck out and evolves, ready for Round 2 on the spot.
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:00 pm

SpammyV wrote:“Don't get water on me, jerk! This isn't a swimsuit!.”

I like to imagine that they just yelled "Splash!" as you walked past.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:47 pm

I remember the first time I encountered her in Blue, she must have kicked my butt a dozen times (I had Wartortle at the time). Granted, I was young and had no idea what I was doing besides smashing my strongest attack every turn, but...

That stat total for Starmie is more than a little impressive, as you won't find matches for anything but stronger evolutions (heck, the pseudo-legendaries and dragons were only around 600 or so, and they're crazy strong). At this point in the game, you've only just gotten the second starter evolution which is likely your strongest, and that still won't be anywhere near the level to match Starmie. This might be more manageable if Starmie wasn't also incredibly fast and packed Bubblebeam in the originals (though Water Pulse is arguably worse since it confuses and has similar damage). And if you picked Charmander, well...

Back in the day, I went through her twice. The first time I was on my brother's game and, after losing a bunch of times, ended up grinding a bunch and getting lucky to win. The second time, on my own version of Red, I ended up relying exclusively on Bulbasaur for everything so I was overleveled to begin with. Still was pretty scared of that encounter, and perhaps the one thing I most recall being a problem in those games (unless we count FINDING THE DAMN CARD KEY IN SYLPH which took me literally weeks, to the point where I ended up skipping Sabrina until I'd finished everything else).
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:24 pm

Also the thought occurred as I left the Gym that I wouldn't have been able to win if she saved her potion for the Starmie.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:46 am

Is it just me, or is poor Belinda spending most of her time getting her trunk kicked in? Often literally? I'm really hoping for the little slugger to come into her own one of these days; she's an elephant! Elephants are cool. You think they'd be pretty strong.

EDIT: Damn, checking Bulbapedia, Phanpy never learns a Ground-type move, and the only other move Belinda will learn before evolving is Takedown, and that's the same level that it evolves. Recoil moves suck. Once evolved, Donphan doesn't learn a Ground-type move for another five levels, and it's friggin' Magnitude, which has randomized damage, averaging 70. That's pretty dire.

Good thing you got Dig, which is a pretty great move and can be used right away. Unless you have other plans for your pachydermal ingenue.

EDIT EDIT: Scratch that; I was looking at Gen III moveset for Phanpy, but not Donphan; in Gen III, Donphan doesn't learn a Ground-type move until Earthquake at level 49.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: And it looks like Phanpy/Donphan can't learn Dig. The only Ground-type TM either can learn is Earthquake, which you win by defeating Giovanni.

Wow.

SpammyV wrote:actually I kinda wish I did the nido family has always been way up there in the "Looks cool and I've never trained one for some reason" list
I became a fan of the Nidoran♂ line in Gen VI, and I have a Nidoking in my core lineup.

I'm sorry to say that damn Nidoking is cursed. He's high level, has a robust moveset and is supertrained to full EV's. On paper, he's dynamite. I don't think he's ever participated in a major battle without getting his ass kicked.
Last edited by The Rocketeer on Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:07 pm

Yep those sure are a lot of true things that you said.

I mean, she'll probably come into her own. At level 49. Where I'll probably be done with Gyms and grinding for the E4. But you know, one day.

I've always been a little more partial to Nidoqueen, I had some good Nidoqueen cards when I played some casual Pokemon TCG. I also had a Nidoqueen when I was playing White, but nothing that happened in White actually counts because I didn't enjoy that game.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:51 pm

Nidoqueen looks too much like a Muppetsaurus, as opposed to Nidoking's "spiky rage monster" aesthetic. And don't get me started on the BOOB CHITIN.

Nidoqueen is also more defense-statted, and I tend to favor a powerful offense above everything else. Which, granted, might be why my Nidoking spends most of his time flat on his back after sucking down an Ice Beam.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:58 pm

The Rocketeer wrote:Nidoqueen looks too much like a Muppetsaurus, as opposed to Nidoking's "spiky rage monster" aesthetic. And don't get me started on the BOOB CHITIN.
This is pretty much my exact reaction.

Return to “Videogames”