Pokemon Fire Red RTR: Team Invasive Species

SpammyV

Pokemon Fire Red RTR: Team Invasive Species

Postby SpammyV » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:59 am

I want to do another Random Team Run! My first RTR, featuring Team Don't Call Me Lance went pretty well. It gave me everything I wanted. I wanted to replay a Pokemon game and be forced a bit outside of my comfort zone. I'm not a strong enough person to try another Nuzlocke run again, nor am I out to prove how hardcore I am. When I thought about what I really wanted, I realized that even with catching restrictions I'd keep going back to favorites. Rapidash and Luxray in Platinum, for instance. I just wanted to use some new Pokemon, and a little RNG can fix that.

So, The Rule is this:
I can only use the RNG assigned team in battles. I can still catch other Pokemon and keep the HMs (besides Surf) off of my main team. And for a little added fun, this time around I'm thumbing my nose at Game Freak's design.

You see, you can't evolve Pokemon outside the original 150 in Fire Red/Leaf Green until you get the National Dex. But we've got the tools to get the National Dex at the start. So this time we've got Team Invasive Species, made up of all Johto and Hoenn native Pokemon.

Also I'm going to try keep to a style where I keep the main text (that's this size) for being in character and use subscript for any breaking kayfabe moments.

The updates might be a little less frequent than last time. I'm employed now and travelling for training and have work homework and things. But I'm still chopping away at this in my spare time. If screenshots look funny this update it's because it has been just long enough since Team Don't Call Me Lance to forget my process and have to resize things.

Also I have to say one thing as a reminder: The Random Number Generator assigned the possible starters to their position. This one fact you must remember, or else what comes to follow will look like major bullshit.
SpammyV

Re: Pokemon Fire Red RTR: Team Invasive Species

Postby SpammyV » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:00 am

My mom didn't really keep it a secret about the Professor down the road going wanting to give me a Pokemon. It's some kind of "For your own good" parent thing where kicking you out the door and telling you to get good at Pokemon is supposed to turn you into a responsible adult. And I think the Professor was also going for some kind of research thing? I'd ask if it's legal for him to pass off work to unpaid assistants like this, but he's the Pokemon Professor, I think he made those laws. But that aside he's alright. More normal than you'd expect a big celebrity scientist to be. That's the nice part of living here.

The worst part lives down the street. Oak is really cool for being a huge scientist known around the world. His grandson is the biggest jerk I know. I hate listening to his nasally voice going on about how cool he is. It's not like he's ever done anything in his life, he's just got a cool grandad and acts like that makes him awesome. "Oh Spamira he's just lonely" "He doesn't know how to make friends" "You should just try to spend more time with him" Yeah none of that is true he's just a huge jerk.

Except to his granddad, of course. No one actually said anything but I'm old enough to connect a few dots. I've known him long enough to see him make stupid challenges to prove how he's the coolest guy in the room. I just know he's going to get a Pokemon and then immediately challenge me to a stupid battle to show how great he is. And even if I won I can already hear him now if I pinch my nose closed and go "Well I guess even you Spamira could win with one of my grandfather's Pokemon..."

So, forget that. If I'm going to have to do this Pokemon thing (uggggggghh) I'm not doing with with one of Oak's Pokemon. I mean I like the Professor. And maybe if he didn't have a grandson or maybe just a grandson that I don't hate so much then sure I'd take one of his Pokemon. It'd be really cool. But I'm not gonna let that jerk have something to make fun of me over and be right about all of it.

It turns out there's some professor in another country that lets you buy Pokemon online. Some sorta thing where he's got too many young Pokemon that need a new home or something. I guess it's legit, apparently some reporter went out there and everything was alright. They just rush the Pokemon in their balls to you and you don't get to know what they are. It took almost all the money I had from my allowance to do it but it's all going to be worth it when I don't have to admit that Gary Oak is ever right about anything.

--

So did you know when you order things online they don't have to tell you how many packages they ship in? I get a box big enough to hold six Pokeballs and it turns out there's one Pokeball and the rest is packing peanuts. Well there was a receipt and note in there about how they had to make multiple shipments. At the bottom of the box beneath all the packing peanuts.

I still feel a little bad though. I pop the Pokeball open and out pops this little Spheal rolling around looking at me with that big doofy stare they've got and I'm still digging around in the box, not paying attention. I hope he understood when I told him I wasn't angry I just thought there'd be more Pokemon. I swear he got the smuggest look on his face after that though.

--

So... If Gary didn't like me before I think he hates me now.

Heheh.

Wait... That can't be right. Did I accidentally turn on random moves?

...Huh.

Image Image
Image Image

What was that? I couldn't hear you saying how awesome you were over the sound of this Speal being amazing.

See ya loser!

--

Oh hey! The other package arrived! Everyone's all here now!

Image Image Image=

Yeah he looks like someone who knows how great he is. And earned it.

(The Metal Coat is because I turned on an option that gives starters random hold items for a laff)

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Might as well change the name to Team Spheal With It.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:48 am

Oh my God, YES, yes, I want this so bad. I don't know if I made it clear enough how much I loved the last one of these. And I already like how it's started.

Just one thing: the universe lobbed "Spamela" right over the plate, nice and easy, and you whiffed it. I'll learn to forgive you in time, I guess.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:42 pm

This is already going to be the best though I was hoping for some of my favs to pop up...

That Aron in particular is going to be pretty interesting. I haven't actually used one on a main team (I think), but it's supposed to be crazy defensive.

I have used Spheal before in XD no shut up it's the best Pokemon game I will fight you, and "big ball of blubber" pretty much describes the thing to a T. It's pretty cool. OH GOD NO WHY DID I DO THAT PUN.

Don't have a lot to say about the rest yet, except maybe Chimecho since I don't think it can evolve... and I don't know what that means as far as it's strength over the game goes. Could be OP early on... provided it gets an attack that isn't Wrap.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:41 pm

Aron and Aggron are very defensive. Mega Aggron reaches Shuckle levels of defense. From what I remember, Aggron is actually a decent attacker as well and Aggron would be #1 on my list of "Pokemon I Assume are Pseudolegendary."

I have never used a Spheal before, the closest I've ever come to a Spheal is that the Spheal line is in some preconstructed decks on the Pokemon Trading Card Game Online. I actually went to look it up and I have never even been in the cave that wild Spheals can be found in Gen III. The "Never ever used this Pokemon before" is what pushed Spheal to the top over the other options (Larvitar and Treecko for trivia purposes). Chimeco Chimecho eventually will be flinging around Psychics. Eventually. This lineup will probably be a challenge. But that's what I'm here for!

Next update should be coming tonight. Seeing how much more full LP I can get with this. Spoiler: Bugs are gross.
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:01 am

As a person who largely focuses on type to the exclusion of stats (I despise the munchkin-level powergaming that competitive Pokemon is about), your type coverage is weird. I'm pretty sure that you've got the tools to resist almost anything (Rock/Steel will do that), but there aren't many things that you can hit super-effectively, and even fewer types that you have more than one super-effective option against.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:56 am

It is a weird set of types, but that's the point. You can't pick your friends. Well, you can probably pick your friends when you're playing Pokemon. I can't pick my friends for this run. random.org picked my friends for me.

----------------------------------------------------------

ImageImage

Fiiiiiine mom I'll go get a badge or something. Hopefully there's one next town over.

Image Image

Well at least I won't have to get an insurance plan or anything, I guess. Yay.

Image Image

Oh. So it's just empty? ...So I have to walk even further? Great. Well there's stuff to the west apparently so maybe I can-

Nuts.

Hi. Gary.

Image Image

Do you?

Image Image

Oh, we'll show you stronger.

Image Image

Bring it!

Image Image

...On second thought let's send in the Pokemon that's indestructible.

Like a year's worth of missed Tackles later...

Man that was a dodgy bird. For reference note that Pidgey couldn't do more than 1 point of damage to Noriko at a time. That's how long it took.

Image Image

Yeah actually I've got an idea.

Image Image

Alright now get out of there Ojou. Well what. Don't look at me like that. Your whole bottle up your indignation at being hit and lashing out thing wasn't going to work against that lizard anyway.

Image Image

...Dang that was a lot of water.

Image Image

don't break the fourth wall Gary thanks

Image Image

I'm not dawdling! If I'm dawdling it's because you're wasting my time!

But ugh. I guess I'm not going to go deal with strong trainers. So there's nothing for me out west apparently. So that leaves... north. Which is a forest. And I don't have hiking shoes.

Image Image

Well... that makes me excited.

Image Image

So there's some bug nerds in here too?

Image Image

...No? I mean I'm kinda new at this training thing but we don't have to-

Oh fine.

Image Image

...What is that? No no what exactly is your stabby bug shooting out of its mouth right now?

I'm sorry Ringo! Hit it with your tail a bunch until it stops!

Image Image

Eeeeew... Just bear it Tidehollow I'll help you get it out of your feathers later.

Image Image

No but seriously what are the bugs here shooting out of their mouths? It's really sticking to my hands.

Image Image

I can't?

Image Image

Uuuuuuuuuuugh it's like spiderwebs but it's also wet and it's sticking to everythinnnnnnnnng.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Alright... Let's scrub the gunk off.

Image Image

Catch some less gross ones.

Image Image

I'm going to go hard on you because your bug is spewing some gross gunk onto my Pokemon!

That's it Ojou channel your rage at getting bug spit on you!

I don't think the bugs can make Noriko any slower. But at least her hard shell should be easy to wipe off I guess.

Image Image

So what? Your plan wasn't to make my Pokemon need a bath?

Too bad~ you should've invested it into illegally importing Pokemon from other countries here.

Image Image

...Why does that mean we have to fight?

Image Image
Image Image

Man bugs are flimsy. Gross, but flimsy.

Image Image

Can they evolve into something that doesn't spray... stuff all over my Pokemon?

I'm trying to rush because I've got to walk through this forest full of disgusting bugs spitting goop onto my Pokemon and my feet are killing me because I do not have the right shoes for going through a forest!

Alright you had better not-

WHY?!?

Image Image

BETTER AT THIS THAN YOU ARE AND I DON'T RESORT TO BEING GROSS ON MY OPPONENT'S POKEMON!

Image Image

IF I SEE ANYTHING OF YOURS ON THE GROUND I'M KICKING IT FURTHER AWAY FROM YOU!

Welp. I never want to see a forest or a bug ever again. Let's find a Pokemon Center and clean you guys off.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:07 am

Yo Spammy, do you mind cluing in the peasantry on your team's name references? I've tried being clever and googling them, but I haven't come up with much.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:26 am

Yeah that might have produced some difficulty because they're not all references.

Ambrose is a nod to Ambrose E. Burnside, Civil War general and generally disliked politician, because Walrein is sporting a grand enough pair of muttonchops to serve in the Civil War. Don't worry though our Ambrose is way more awesome, you'll see next update.

Ringo isn't a reference. 'E's a bell. Bells ring. Ringo.

Tidehollow is named after the Magic card Tidehollow Strix, because that owl carried me through a lot of games back in the day.

Ojou is named such because I pictured Shifty with its fan hands and then a female Shiftry doing the anime noblewoman thing of covering her mouth with a fan and doing the "Oh-ho-ho-ho-ho" laugh. And Ojou is a title for young ladies who are or act like nobility and would do the laugh.

Noriko's inspiration is Noriko Takaya from Gunbuster, because it seemed a little fitting with Aron going from being a little thing whose only feature is toughness into "Are you sure you're not a pseduolegendary?" reminded me of Noriko going from timid girl with no confidence in herself to unstoppable juggernaut tearing through enemies. An Aggron doing the Gunbuster Pose would look sweet as hell.

Belinda's not a reference it just seemed like something fun to call a road raging elephant.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:11 pm

Well that's a real exciting color to name your city after. Hey Tidehollow, think if we go to the Pokemon center they'll let me use the com-pewter? Eh? Eh? Don't give me that look that was funny.

Image Image

...I wouldn't think there'd be mobsters out on a random mountain. That sounds pretty unbelievable sir, not gonna lie.

Image Image

Too bad~ You should've spent all your money on reputable professors in other countries with terribly translated commercials.

A Guy That's Completely Right About Pokemon wrote:Image Image

Well not yet I just arrived and-

Image Image

Would you let go of my hand?

Image Image

Jeez, what, are they paying you to try to get people in the door? Ugh. Guess it couldn't hurt to see it though.

Image Image

Huh... I guess as long as they're going to keep paying me for winning Pokemon battling isn't that bad.

Image Image

I'm glad those things are old and dead and I'm never gonna see one. I'm glad none of you guys have scythes for hands.

Image Image

Nah the meteorites hitting the place probably just disturbed their natural habitat. Pokemon from space? That's just ridiculous.

Image Image

Okay so I'm guessing he does Rock-type Pokemon? Here lemme get the guidebook out... let's see, type advantages... what? I'm studying, Tidehollow! You want me to be informed, right?

Okay so Rock is weak to Water, just like Fire is. Alright Ambrose you should get everything in this building easy.

Image Image

Gah!

Image Image

Not really I'm just-

And then this guy tells you about reordering your team and doesn't let you get a word in edgewise.

Uh... I thought Gyms were supposed to be like... challenging. And have like, trainees or whatever trying to stop me from getting to the Leader. I mean I could just walk on sand and get around you. I can see you right there Brock why do I have to... ugh nevermind I'll do this the slow way.

Image Image

No I'm not, here's right there.

You didn't study a lot, did you.

Oh no she's bottling it up again.

Image Image

Okay Ojou probably time for you to-

Image Image

...Note to self never forget to feed Ojou.

Image Image

Ha ha, more defense isn't going to help you.

Image Image

Love that Spheal.

Image Image

Yeah that's like the first thing people learn about light years.

Eeeeeeeeeeeew.

Hey I think your trainee kid has a really creepy th-

Yeah that's what your sign says.

Image Image

YES I GET IT I GET THE JOKE

Image Image

It's not about honor I just want the badge.

And I mean I can't just buy the badge so here I am.

Alright so the thing that's not getting shown is I'm doing the switch levelling here, because Ambrose can KO everything in one hit.

Image Image

Like that. Special defense isn't in abundance here and they're all 4x weak anyway. But since I'm switching around, everything's getting a chance to hit Ambrose.

This won't be so bad either. So let's spread the experience around and-

Image Image

WHAT?!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA I FORGOT ICE IS WEAK TO ROCK

Okay okay but it's like a giant snake there's no way it's faster than-

HOW IS IT FASTER THAN AMBROSE?!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

WHAT?!

Image Image

And then, as the Onix crumpled to the ground like so many boulders, Spamira stood in utter shock and Spammy sank into his computer chair, awed by the badass little Spheal before them.

Image Image

Don't you mean for granite?

Image Image

Yaaaaaaay.

I'm not sure he needs it, but thanks.

And then Brock goes on for a year about Flash and you gotta teach your Pokemon HMs and here's a TM and here's how TMs works because it's not Gen V yet gotta be careful about using them.

Image Image

Oh... well thank you.

Image Image

Uhm... I'll think about it.

...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Okay, okay, deep breaths though. Besides... me being overconfident and not that smart that went really well. I mean, we beat a Gym Leader! And I know that the next town is on the other side of the mountain, but there's paths and stuff. It's like the most walked on mountain in the region. People hike it all the time. So... I think we can do this.

I mean it's more hiking and my feet are gonna kill me but we can do this.

Uh...

Oh I thought you looked familiar.

Image Image

..These look nice.

These feel nice.

Image Image

...Wait how did you know my size? Oh there's a letter in the box.

Mom wrote:Dear Spamira,
Here is a pair of Running Shoes for my beloved challenger. Remember, I'll always cheer for you! Don't ever give up!
From Mom

...Huh. I guess I do have the right shoes for hiking then.

One down, seven to go.
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:42 pm

You're pretty hot. ...But not as hot as BROCK!

I take it the reason Camper Liam is in the gym is because he's rock hard.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:27 pm

SpammyV wrote:HOW IS IT FASTER THAN AMBROSE?!
...So it turns out Spheal is really slow. Who knew? :P

The level difference may have had something to do with it too.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:38 am

Y'know, for some reason, maybe some personal flaw in my thinking, I just expect a twenty six foot long snake made out of boulders not to be faster than anything. Also that was all basically unedited from my thought process at the time. "What? Shit shit shit but Ambrose should be faste- SHITSHITSHIT ONE HP?!" Should I shark in some Blackglasses for him anyway? Because so far he's done a lot to deserve having the cool shades and looking like a smug winner.

Also Retsam if you can't say something gneiss don't say anything at all.

(That was a pun not a dig at you)
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:37 pm

Uh... What?

Image Image

No I'm not!

I wasn't staring it's a public trail I was just- uggggggh nevermind deep breaths Spamira.

oh hey guys guess what
we're leaving pewter town
guess who's on this route

Image Image

SHORTS KID

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

SHORTS KID SHORTS KID SHORTS KID SHORTS KID

Image Image
Image Image

i can't believe how delightfully comfy and easy to wear shorts are i just slip them on and look i have a full range of motion and comfort to boot

Uh... My "Please don't start a Pokemon battle with me" look?

Didn't work I guess.

Image Image
Image Image

But... you were the one that challenged me!

But... this is a wide open trail how are you not going to see me?

by the way Belinda has Pick Up as an ability so after every battle she may randomly get an item
she's been pretty good at it so far, i've also gotten two rare candies off of her

I... Why didn't I wear my shorts for this?

hey look at what his bird does

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Uh... Your Spearow didn't do anything in that battle, it just tried to look intimidating while we hit it a bunch... I feel kinda bad for it now.

Image Image

Huh.

What? No!

Why do you want to fight me over this?!

Image Image

I... what? How did you think that was gonna turn out? What dumb romance books have you been reading?

Image Image

Well. Nothing to it but to do it I guess.

Yes, yes I did. And it was completely worry free and to plan.

Image Image

You've got a long way to go then.

But... Geodudes aren't that little. You didn't notice the rock with arms right in front of you?

Image Image

Well... They probably won't bother a kid. I hope.

*eye twitch*

Image Image

No, I already bought all my Pokemon, thank you very much.

Hah, yeah right, everybody knows about your awful fish.

But many, that didn't seem like it took a whole afternoon. I wonder where the time wen-

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Uggggggggh nevermind I want to forget agaaaaaaain.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:53 am

I've never been in a cave before!

I mean, I didn't want to go into a cave before today and I don't really want to go into a cave now...but experiences, I guess.

It contains Bullet Seed. This is actually a hugely important TM for me specifically to find. Because movesets sucked until Gen IV.

Wow... litter right next to the entrance. That's depressing.

I am definitely not a suspicious man.

Image Image

Definitely hate you though.

Image Image

Yeah but why though?

They don't mean that... literally, do they?

Image Image

What, in the cave? Are you sure your friends weren't just trying to get rid of you?

Image Image

So that's a Clefairy. Doesn't look like an alien. I'd figured a Pokemon from the moon would be gross and freaky.

Image Image

Oh, well. Go for your hobbies.

Image Image

How am I supposed to sneak up on you in this huge open room!?

So this was a little hairy. I didn't think that I had anything that would hit this Magnetite supereffectively. Because I mean look at the sprite. It's got to have Levitate, right?

Wrong. This was not the first and probably will not be the last time in my life I erroneously assume a Pokemon has Levitate based on how their sprite looks.

Image Image

I dunno your little magnet thing was tough.

Overseas imports~

Huh. I wonder why there's not another road the-

NOOOOOOO

Image Image

Oh no the mob.

Image Image

A Sandshrew, a Zubat, and a Rattata... You know I would have expected the mob to have stronger Pokemon.

“Here lies Spamira, she was too young to get killed by the mafia.”

Image Image

So let's fight over it!

Image Image

OWL SUPREMACY

Image Image

Oh there's a lot of you down here, huh?

Image Image

Good thing Noriko is basically indestructible.

Image Image

Why would I do that, exactly? Your Pokemon aren't exactly threatening in any way.

Image Image

Alright, now get your Pokemon out.

…Are we not going to fight?

...I think I've been spending too much time on the road.

Image Image

Sorry?

Oh good someone who wants to battle for no reason, my expectations are being met again.

Image Image

It's Ice-type Rollout. I think this was before they nerfed Rollout into the ground.

Image Image
Image Image

Like a little ice-covered pinball!

Image Image

...How are you actually creepier than the mob is?

Image Image

Oh come on, I've already beaten two of you idiots with no problem, what are YOU going to do differently?

Image Image

HOW HARD CAN IT BITE?!

Noriko I need you to be immune to damage again.

There, that's better.

Image Image

You don't miss with those things, do you?

Image Image

I mean I'm just a kid but I think that's how nature works.

Image Image

Oh, so that's your plan.

Wait how are you going to revive millions of years old fossils?

Image Image

OW

Image Image

What are you feeding your rats that the other grunts aren't!?

What the heck kind of service do you guys provide that I would ever care about being blacklisted from?

Okay... whatever. I think there's some sunlight over there. All I need to do is keep walking and-

Image Image

Nuts.

Of course.

Image Image
Image Image

So are your Pokemon a metaphor for your poor hygiene or something?

Image Image

Oh boy, now I can get rich selling dead monsters to people.

Image Image

This looks sorta nice in a rocky kinda way. I guess I can set this on a shelf or something for decoration, too.

Image Image

So we can add “caves” alongside “forests” on my new list of “Places that I don't want to go again.”
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:16 am

So you said above that you named your little Phanpy "Belinda" because it seemed like an unlikely name for an elephant. But I remembered there's already a game that did the same thing. Well, almost the same: Darling Linda, pachydermal starlet of Flotsam's traveling circus in Dark Cloud 2/Dark Chronicle.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:19 pm

SpammyV wrote:Wrong. This was not the first and probably will not be the last time in my life I erroneously assume a Pokemon has Levitate based on how their sprite looks.
The funny thing is that it actually has two possible abilities (not including hidden), and neither of them are Levitate.

I mean, Magnet Pull I get, but did it have to have Sturdy instead? That ability is just annoying.

SpammyV wrote:Good thing Noriko is basically indestructible.
In retrospect, I could have guessed that Aron would carry you through the earlygame. Rock/steel and high defense pretty much shuts down normal attacks.

Although one thing that does beg the question is how she can be 4x weak to punches (aka fighting). I mean, she's a steel rock.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:14 pm

Trix2000 wrote:In retrospect, I could have guessed that Aron would carry you through the earlygame. Rock/steel and high defense pretty much shuts down normal attacks.

Although one thing that does beg the question is how she can be 4x weak to punches (aka fighting). I mean, she's a steel rock.

She's got one immunity and nine resistances. She only has three weaknesses, but two of those are 4x weaknesses. But, the two 4x weaknesses are also going to be trying to batter through her considerable physical defense. I don't want to sound overconfident but I'm pretty sure she'll be able to tank an Earthquake or a strong Fighting move and not go past the yellow.

The Rocketeer wrote:So you said above that you named your little Phanpy "Belinda" because it seemed like an unlikely name for an elephant. But I remembered there's already a game that did the same thing. Well, almost the same: Darling Linda, pachydermal starlet of Flotsam's traveling circus in Dark Cloud 2/Dark Chronicle.

It was such a little thing, the idea that someone, somewhere else in the world thought that Linda would be a good name for an elephant. And yet, for the first time in all the years I've known him, I saw his gaze slowly lift up, and something like a light came into his eyes as he learned that just maybe there were other people he could connect with, that the life of loneliness that he had grown accustomed to did not have to be his future.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:58 am

Image Image

Blue town of mystery sounds like an old jazz song.

Image Image

internet.jpg

Image Image

Or you could have your cute elephant dig up old Rare Candies that people dropped in the grass.

Image Image

Yeah... Having to walk everywhere... strangers wanting to fight you because the sky is blue... annoying the mob... It's rough.

Image Image

Oh come on. If you're going to leave it at home where no one can see then why buy it at all?

Luckily for me, being a winner pays pretty well, so I think I'll get a bicycle.

Hello sir! I'll take one bicycle, please!

Image Image

I'm sorry can you repeat that? My mind went blank and for some reason all the air rushed out of my lungs at once.

More like I'm sort of working on it by taking pictures of random Pokemon I see for THE Pokemon Professor. I'm basically a lab assistant. Ought to get a jacket and everything.

Well thank you.

Image Image

It's not spying on me, is it?

Image Image

so the badges do different random things like give stat boosts that I never paid attention to or cared about and this guy will tell you about them.

in case Bulbapedia is down.

Image Image

They must have had the rats that know how to bite hard then.

Maybe you shouldn't tell an impressionable kid that the police can't be counted on.

Well, might as well see what's outside of town.

Oh, a huge jerk is outside of town. The answers to my questions all come to me.

Image Image

If you're going to ask someone a question you could at least pretend to wait for them to answer.

Also I'm glad that you finally found some strong Pokemon.

The same team that beat you before is going to beat you again!

ahhahaha I forgot this battle was here though

Your bird got bigger, I see.

Image Image

Yeah... the tail hugs aren't going to work here, Ringo. But you know what's good at grounding flights? Snow.

Image Image

…Your bird got tougher, I see.

Oh nuts TAG OUT TAG OUT

Image Image

Bop it, Belinda! The bird wants to be your friend! Run into it!

Attagirl.

Image Image

Taking no chances that you taught your rat how to bite.

Image Image

No chances.

Just try it.

Image Image

Ha... ha... okay that did way more than I thought it would.

special attacks her one weakness

Sorry Noriko! Take one for the team!

ONE HITPOINT

NOT BASICALLY INDESTRUCTIBLE JUST INDESTRUCTIBLE

Image Image

Look familiar, Gary?

That was some clutch mud you got in its eyes, Noriko.

Image Image

Ambrose 3 – 0 Gary Oak

Now what super strong thing do you have left? One of those pointy purple ones? Onix?

Image Image

Or... a little fox thinking as hard as it can that it doesn't want to be here.

Image Image

yeah it can't do anything so I spread out the EXP since no way Tidehollow doesn't level

Would you like to repeat that one more time?

Because it sounds like someone's making excuses because he can't keep up.

The sun was in your eyes the entire battle?

Oh right, the Pokedex.

Image Image

So he just has the Pokemon laying around then? Wait why can't Oak just come here to study them then?

Image Image

Uh... I'm not using it right now but I'll go say hi anyway.

That phrase is never going to catch on no matter how much you force it.

Image Image

Funny how your rushing ahead has never helped you beat me.

Image Image

For you information I do a lot more listening than talking. It's considerate. Of course it's never occurred to you.

Maybe that's why you have no friends!

Image Image

Hope I don't see you again!

Alright he's gone. Let's go patch up.

Image Image

Like... that? Or... what? Dangit now I'm thinking way too hard about this.

He ought to be happy to see some from other regions then!

I mean he's the only thing that anyone in this place talks about...

You know what? Actually I've never heard of Bill. Please, go on.

How fortunate that you can make a catchy nickname out of the word Pokemon for that.

Image Image

...I can't actually say that I wouldn't.

damn I can't believe that I've been found out so completely by a GBA game
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:03 am

Image Image Image

It sucks even more for Gary Oak that Thick Fat is cutting his Charmander's damage in half. Powder Snow vs. Ice Ball more or less comes down to a decision whether I need damage now or can wait a turn for Ice Ball to get stronger than Powder Snow. Although, using Defense Curl will double Ice Ball's damage (this trick works for Rollout too).

Image Image Image

Belinda could you learn another damaging attack please. If you could learn a Ground-type attack to go with your decent Attack and get STAB that would just be super. Otherwise keep on finding good stuff on the ground with Pickup.

Image Image Image

So uh... take a look at Tidehollow's stats. Where he is strong and where he is weak. Think about how his stats are interacting with his attacks.

The answer is that his Attack is very low when Normal and Flying type attacks have their damage based on Attack stat. At least in this generation. On the other hand his HP and his Special Defense are both high-ish (at least relative to this party) so maybe in the future he can tank some Special Attacker. I'm definitely keeping an eye out for any Special Attack TMs that I can feed to him. I believe eventually Noctowl learns God Brave Bird which will probably be strong enough to put on him anyway.

Image Image Image

Hello level 14! Ojou's gone from a haughty acorn to a more vocal forest imp. So far as Attack and Special Attack go she's doing pretty good right now. And she got the Bullet Seed TM.

You remember when I said that Bullet Seed was for me a very important TM to find? That wasn't because I have two Pokemon weak to the Water-type gym coming up. It's because the Seedot-Nuzleaf-Shiftry line doesn't actually learn any Grass type moves naturally in this generation. From TMs I believe they can only learn three damaging moves: Bullet Seed, Giga Drain, and Solar Beam. So, spoilers, now you know what her Grass type moves are going to be for the entirety of the game.

But uh... her stats are okay and I can Growth her Special Attack up before she starts shooting bullets so she has that going for her?

Image Image Image

You haven't had a chance to see it, but Ringo learning Confusion has done so much for him. It's a Special move that he gets STAB on, and now he can so much more than weakly try to wrap people up in his tail that according to the Pokedex probably isn't strong enough to do more than pull fruit off of trees.

I get the feeling that travelling with a Chimeco Chimecho would be pretty fun though. If you had a backpack or a messenger back they could stick themselves to the bottom and jingle along as you walk. And they look so happy! Like they're in a good mood all the time. Imagine a wind chime that actually liked you and not ringing at 3 AM in the morning.

Image Image Image

I don't know if I want to say that Noriko's been stealing everyone's damaging attacks, but... she sorta has. In addition to having nine resistances and one immunity she's got our only Ground-type attack (Not our actual Ground-type Pokemon), has a strong move in Headbutt, and a strong STAB attack in Metal Claw. But I mean, what claws? Her feet end in cute little nubs. My immersion, Gamefreak.

Noriko and Ambrose saving the day for me might be a recurring theme through this run.
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:40 am

I do seem to recall that Noctowl learns quite a few Psychic-type moves, although you don't really need that when Chimecho has much better Sp Atk and a STAB to play with.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:43 am

The most astute of readers may notice the lack of any updates last week. I want to assure you that I have no intent of abandoning this series. But I am doing a lot of travelling and training for my job, and with the constraints on my time I've ended up letting Team Invasive Species slide. But, I intend to use this week to build up a buffer of material. I hope to have an update this week and get back to being more regular next week.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:14 am

Huh. Lotta people on this bridge.

Image Image

Oh boy! What could the prize be?

IT’S THE BIG NUGGET BRIDGE THROWDOOOOOOOWN

Oh no what can I do against a bug catcher.

Image Image
Image Image

Besides get Tidehollow some free experience.

I guess if you know you’re going to be first in someone’s challenge you’ve got to have a chipper outlook on life.

Image Image

So serious that you can’t turn to face me?

Image Image

More free wisdom for Tidehollow until…

Image Image

Nice.

Image Image

Because your entire team was weak to owl-types, c’mon.

Oh. So it’s a script? Well whatever you gotta do to get paid I guess.

Image Image

All of you have just been really low ineffective speedbumps so far.

Image Image

Rolling into a ball won’t help you resist getting mind crushed! Even I know that!

Mind crushing is also extremely strong against snakes.

Image Image

My windchime just thought at your shrew and snake until they had mild headaches. You couldn’t possibly hope to beat me.

Good for you, kid.

Image Image

Not in the slightest! I hope that wasn’t your plan.

Image Image

Your adorable mated pair can’t stand up against mild headaches!

Wait, you’re allowed to go off script?

Image Image

None of you have come even close to stomping me!

Image Image

…ow.

Sorry Tide!

Image Image

Dang those monkeys.

Image Image

Yeah, I don’t think he had to keep hitting Tidehollow that hard.

If I push you off the bridge will you regret?

Image Image

Fabulous prize time~

Pretty fabulous prize.

Wait what?

This is all a recruitment drive?

No.

No.

Image Image

NO, JEEZ! What are you in sales or something?

Image Image

What? You’re gonna offer me a hundred nuggets?

Oh, you’re just gonna fight me. After I just (nearly) effortlessly stomped your little ‘gauntlet’?

Image Image

…Man.

Nah… but you should really just ask the kid with the monkey to join Team Rocket, because that was way more of a hassle than anything you had.

Image Image

Unless you’re gonna offer me like… tons of money and I don’t have to actually be evil then no, I’m not joining.

Wait… my… wait… why were you…

EEW!

Image Image

CRUSH HIM!

i have no idea what he’s talking about

Don’t be afraid of the people on the bridge, freak! Be afraid of me.

Or… wait… did he mean feat with an a?

…Eh, probably best to put the fear of Spamira into him anyway.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:16 am

So the next post coming up is a bit longer than usual, and I'd feel better about putting it up on a new page. So please, post a bit.

How's the format working for y'all? I'm trying something different and stretching more into full LP territory. Would you like to see fewer but more in depth trainer battles? More focus on people's dialog with a few highlight battles? Kicking Gary's face in more and more?
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:33 am

I think it could use a bit of spicing up, but it's otherwise interesting enough for me. I like the ways you inject your own personality into things, but I feel it could be a bit stronger.

Only major complaint I have is more with the forum itself - when I go to newest post it doesn't take into account images when deciding where to scroll to. So I have to scroll down manually anyways. :(

Return to “Videogames”