Tyranny

Wide And Nerdy

Re: Tyranny

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:26 pm

Andrew wrote:Despicable. Even if I were still into the game (I'm not - that boat sailed a long time ago) - I wouldn't purchase any of this on principle alone.

Are you kidding me? Do you know how much I'd pay for Obsidian to finish any of their other games? Kotor 2? New Vegas? Basically just those two? I'd pay full price for either game over again if I could get the "version Obsidian would have done if they'd had time" version (I'd pay it for Pillars too but that game didn't seem to be missing anything crucial). I mean, how many rhetorical questions do I need to ask to make my point here?

Andrew (Working backwards Memento Style here) wrote:The second - Bastard's Wounds - is not actually for sale yet but will apparently include a new section of the world to be explored (centered around an illegal settlement of people fleeing the war), companion quests (sounds like it's only for Verse, Barik and Lantry) and this DLC will apparently arrive alongside a free update to Tyranny that adds new voice-acting, expanded content in the 3rd Act and an all new path to an unseen ending.

The only characters I liked. They must have been paying attention to their metrics. Also, how many things in Obsidian games are wounds? I thought for sure when Chris Avellone left we were done with some of the Crapsack World style writing.
Sannom

Postby Sannom » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:55 pm

Andrew wrote:The first - Tales from the Tiers - is a $7 USD DLC that adds new random travel encounters, an expanded story - interaction with the denizens of the tiers let players explore more of the world of Tyranny and its inhabitants - (Ok, so you've added more dialogue??) and more replay options (whatever that means). Sounds like a whole bunch of fluff to me.

If you've played The White March Part 2, this is pretty much the Stronghold content added in the 3.0 patch, so "fluff" is adequate. I'm going to buy that DLC when Bastard's Wound comes out, not before.

Andrew wrote:Sounds to me like they are basically finishing up the game and putting in all the stuff that really should have been there when the game was released on Day 1 (well, not all, because it doesn't seem like all companions have quests, only a few).

Verse, Lantry and Barik will be the ones with personal quests in this expansion. So basically the three who accompanies you in the first act. The expanded third act and the option to end the game as a Kyros loyalist feel like responses to some of the criticism the game has received.

Further firms my belief that the game was rushed and basically released in an unfinished condition (relative to what their plans were) and they are now charging players additional money to see the ending (but not the real ending because Kyros still hasn't been dealt with).

You said yourself that the new ending will be free.

Wide And Nerdy wrote:Are you kidding me? Do you know how much I'd pay for Obsidian to finish any of their other games? Kotor 2? New Vegas?

Since when do people consider New Vegas unfinished?

Wide And Nerdy wrote:(I'd pay it for Pillars too but that game didn't seem to be missing anything crucial).

Ah! Two huge patches and rather big gameplay changes seem to disagree with you there!

Wide And Nerdy wrote:The only characters I liked. They must have been paying attention to their metrics. Also, how many things in Obsidian games are wounds? I thought for sure when Chris Avellone left we were done with some of the Crapsack World style writing.

Well, The Bastard City is a thing in that universe, maybe we will visit a community which somehow found a safe heaven in one of the sinkholes Tunon created when he first entered the city?
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:52 pm

I'm referring to story/content in all three cases.

KOTOR 2 was obviously missing its ending and the HK-47 level both of which are restore by fan mods.

New Vegas was missing the fleshing out of Caesar's Legion. This isn't simply my opinion. They acknowledge and lament that they didn't have time to do that.

And though Pillars got major patches, the world, characters, story, and levels were all fully there in the initial release.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:00 pm

Yeah, Pillars was complete on release. There were a couple of bad bugs (I personally hit the immortal trolls or ogres or whatever), but that's just to be expected in games. The RPG's of yesteryear got bug and balancing patches too. Comparing it to New Vegas or KotoR 2 is apples and oranges.

Return to “Videogames”