Gushing/ranting about interesting games in development

Daemian Lucifer

Re: Gushing/ranting about interesting games in development

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:11 pm

I dont know if you guys have heard of this chap named Shamus Young,but he is making a puzzle game.
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:13 pm

There's was a huge controversy, actually: the entire development team has been taken off the project.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:26 am

Is Rutskarn drawing the scantily-clad anime babes?
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:43 am

Is anybody looking forward to the release of Horizon Zero Dawn like I am?

I have been watching a few early access gameplay vids and it basically reminds me of the Hinterlands in Dragon Age Inquisition. That is, a single player, open world RPG, with MMO-like quests/feel.

Granted, this is probably not the best way to entice players to buy a game...
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:29 am

Granted I haven't been looking for it, but other than fighting robo-dinosaurs with a spear I'm not seeing what the fundamental gameplay of this is meant to be. I had the same feeling about No Man's Sky, though without the outlandish promises.

Also I generated a bunch of three words sets, with a colon arbitrarily inserted (no words were discarded, I used every word as is):

Dispute: Lust General
Dot: Winter Bound
Herring Revolt: Pouring
Ancestor: Oil Chairman
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:37 am

Humanoid wrote:Granted I haven't been looking for it, but other than fighting robo-dinosaurs with a spear I'm not seeing what the fundamental gameplay of this is meant to be. I had the same feeling about No Man's Sky, though without the outlandish promises.

It is just basically an open world, single player, RPG from what I have seen.

There are fetch quests, kill 'x' of this guy quests, and general exploration quests, hence the general MMO feeling the game has.

There is also a story for the main character but I haven't paid any attention to what it's about (other than, I assume, survive).
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:23 am

Humanoid wrote:Granted I haven't been looking for it, but other than fighting robo-dinosaurs with a spear I'm not seeing what the fundamental gameplay of this is meant to be. I had the same feeling about No Man's Sky, though without the outlandish promises.

Also I generated a bunch of three words sets, with a colon arbitrarily inserted (no words were discarded, I used every word as is):

I love this. I got "Drunk: Emergency Inhabitant" when I tried it.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:39 am

I got "Wading town flush".That makes some sense.Also a better name than hzd.
Ninety-Three

Postby Ninety-Three » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:12 pm

Humanoid wrote:Granted I haven't been looking for it, but other than fighting robo-dinosaurs with a spear I'm not seeing what the fundamental gameplay of this is meant to be.

What do you mean other than fighting robo-dinosaurs? It's billed as an action-RPG, that's like saying "Other than stabbing skeletons I'm not seeing what the fundamental gameplay of Dark Souls is meant to be".
Sudanna

Postby Sudanna » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:36 pm

I've been assuming it's a Far Cry.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:52 pm

I had been guessing it was going to be structured like Tomb Raider, but previews suggested that want true
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:28 pm

Ninety-Three wrote: "Other than stabbing skeletons I'm not seeing what the fundamental gameplay of Dark Souls is meant to be".

Stabbing demons?Dying a lot?Fighting off jerk players?
Alchemist64

Postby Alchemist64 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:32 pm

I got:

Water: Market Vat
Proof: Noise Import
Deed: City Exchange
Whistle: Railway Transfer
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:41 pm

Wow, Horizon: Zero Dawn is getting some great reviews. Arstechnica name-checked Zelda, Monster Hunter, The Witcher 3, Mass Effect and Dark Souls.

Jim Sterling name-checked Far Cry, Mass Effect, The Witcher 3, Monster Hunter and Singularity (?)

Moreover Jim said, despite being sick of open world games, he adored this one.

(The list of games I want to buy. So the good list, not the bad one)
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:48 pm

Yeah, the impression I get it's the kind of thing Blizzard used to: take a bunch of unoriginal ideas then do them really well.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:55 pm

Oh their lead writer was the guy who wrote Fallout: New Vegas. That explains why everyone is going on about how good the multi-faction story is.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:32 pm

Dammit. Now I'm going to have to get it, aren't I?

And I'm just now finally getting Witcher 3 + DLC off my backlog. :(
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:42 pm

One of the favourite tidbits I'm hearing about Horizon: Zero Dawn is that the title is actually justified - and even a spoiler
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:11 pm

Even if the story for that tile is the best story in the last 100 years,its still a stupid title with no justification.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:16 pm

It very much sounds like a "we ran into copyright issues with the name so slapped a subtitle onto it" kind of title.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:07 pm

From the sound of it the 'Horizon' part is what would have been added later.

Also, I will buy this game. This because the protagonists name is Aloi and I thought oh 'alloy' because robots. And yes that is one reason for the name. However its also a reference to the primitive future race in The Time Machine - Eloi. Any game that names their protagonist with two thematic puns, one of them a reference to classic science fiction, is a game I'm interested in playing.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:45 pm

This is a great video by Super Bunnyhop for those who have and will never play Nier but want to be hyped for Nier: Automata.

It's made me realise, no matter how soulless the corporate videogame world seems, there's never really been a time when we've been lacking _weird_ in our games. Drakengard to Nier, Metal Gear Solid to The Phantom Pain, Killer7 to Let it Die, somehow crazy wonderful people find themselves at the helm of big studio projects and swiftly detach them from reality.

------------------------------------------------

On another note. I'm note the only one whose feeling like the marketing for Mass Effect: Andromeda, from both EA and Bioware, has a really desperate vibe, right? It seems like the ME3 scandal burned them _hard_ and they're really worried people aren't going to get back into the fold.

And - whilst it's a crazy good time for games right now - it does seem like the Andromeda hype is way more muted than it would be.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:11 am

Thomas wrote:On another note. I'm note the only one whose feeling like the marketing for Mass Effect: Andromeda, from both EA and Bioware, has a really desperate vibe, right? It seems like the ME3 scandal burned them _hard_ and they're really worried people aren't going to get back into the fold.

And - whilst it's a crazy good time for games right now - it does seem like the Andromeda hype is way more muted than it would be.
It's hard to blame them nor think the reaction is unwarranted - ME3's backlash was such a big thing that they must know it will affect player retention in future titles. They have to realize that they've an uphill climb to win back players' trust on this.

And I think the hype being limited is a good thing in some ways, since it means people aren't building up their expectations of the game too much only to get dashed later by the reality. There might be concern of it affecting sales, but I feel like if it's actually good it will end up selling fine long-term anyways, as word-of-mouth will help get the skeptics on board.

If it turns out to be not so good (or even bad), well... too bad.
Ninety-Three

Postby Ninety-Three » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:34 am

Trix2000 wrote:It's hard to blame them nor think the reaction is unwarranted - ME3's backlash was such a big thing that they must know it will affect player retention in future titles. They have to realize that they've an uphill climb to win back players' trust on this.

EA-Bioware has a history of learning the wrong lessons, so I'm more than a bit worried about that. ME3 deserved every bit of backlash it got, but I fear that it will result in Corporate telling the scripwriters that happy endings are mandatory. I also expect that from now on, they'll manage the plot so that they can produce endless sequels rather than doing something drastic like ME3 which forced them to relocate the series to an entire new galaxy (thus throwing out valuable brand assets like Quarrian waifus).

The more I reflect on ME4 though, the thing I'm most worried about isn't that the writing will suck like ME3 (I mean it probably will, but I've already gone through the five stages there) it's that the gameplay will suck like Dragon Age 3. I fear the game's shooting will be bland, badly-balanced, repetitious, and just barely engaging enough that the average gamer won't actively complain about it being those things. I've been getting that vibe from their promo materials, but since it's all trailers rather than raw gameplay footage it's pretty hard to tell for sure, is anyone else seeing that?
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:45 am

ME3 burnt me so badly that I've not even summoned the effort to press the play button on a single ME4 trailer, so it's a long, long way back for them to even start recapturing my interest. I'm aware of the demo being available so I guess that's a start, assuming it can be combined with the week-long free trial for Origin Access.

Return to “Videogames”