Gushing/ranting about interesting games in development

McNutcase

Re: Gushing/ranting about interesting games in development

Postby McNutcase » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:33 am

Well this looks... interesting. Sort of like Goat Simulator for car nerds. http://store.steampowered.com/app/516750
AileTheAlien

Postby AileTheAlien » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:22 pm

That reminds me of this old DOS game with glorious 16-color graphics! It was the best - you'd buy old beaters from the newspaper, fix them up, and drag-race them to win money vs other guys. Fun game. :)

EDIT:
Apparently some company bought the rights to these games, and re-released them for free!
Get yourself some car-racing!
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:26 pm

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/12/02/ ... uillermo-d

The idea of Kojoma Unleashed is giving me nerd chills.

I couldn't give a toss to whether Death Stranding will be a good game or not, we get half a dozen 'good' games a year. Death Stranding is going to be weird
TimothyXL

Postby TimothyXL » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:57 pm

For any and all Castlevania fans who haven't seen/heard of Bloodstained yet:
https://youtu.be/zov9o9Ka3ts
D-Frame

Postby D-Frame » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:32 pm

Sorry to bother you guys since this is pretty much off-topic (although it has to do with game concepts), but this is the only sane place on the internet I know and I didn't want to create a new thread for something so trivial.
I've had a game concept on my mind for quite some time, but the idea is so obviously good and simple that I'm sure it has been done before: You're alone in some creepy place (like a museum or ancient temple), equipped only with a flashlight, and your enemies are statues that only move when you don't look / don't shine your flashlight at them. Does something like this exist?
krellen

Postby krellen » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:44 pm

That has similarities with Fatal Frame, but it's not exactly that.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:59 pm

And Super Mario World. :D
krellen

Postby krellen » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:43 am

Oh! What about Luigi's Mansion?
Galad

Postby Galad » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:18 pm

Not gushing or ranting, but just wanted to say that I'm waiting for Torment: Tides of Numenera, and We Happy Few to a) get out of early access and/or b) have at least some sort of a sale - which is not likely before a) happens. Also, the Long Dark story mode, whenever it happens. It's not like I've exhausted its sandboxiness either.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:54 am

Long Dark story mode sounds quite far away still.

There was a developer's update a few weeks back and that (optimistically) put it at 2nd half of 2017. Seeing as they've missed every target so far (and the guy says Sandbox isn't even ready for Story Mode yet) I'm not holding my breath.

That said, Sandbox mode continuously has new features being added to it so you're right, no shortage of play time there. And they've just added a new zone as well!
McNutcase

Postby McNutcase » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:03 am

Andrew wrote:Long Dark story mode sounds quite far away still.

There was a developer's update a few weeks back and that (optimistically) put it at 2nd half of 2017. Seeing as they've missed every target so far (and the guy says Sandbox isn't even ready for Story Mode yet) I'm not holding my breath.

That said, Sandbox mode continuously has new features being added to it so you're right, no shortage of play time there. And they've just added a new zone as well!

Is it just me or does the new clothing system make early game significantly more brutal, and jeans even more worthless?
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:56 am

Wait,why are jeans worthless?Isnt the whole purpose of denim to resist the wind and water,otherwise known as things that will make you lose heat quickly in cold areas.
McNutcase

Postby McNutcase » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:08 am

Daemian Lucifer wrote:Wait,why are jeans worthless?Isnt the whole purpose of denim to resist the wind and water,otherwise known as things that will make you lose heat quickly in cold areas.

They resist abrasion pretty well, but wind goes through them like they aren't there, and getting them wet destroys what little insulating capability they had in the first place, along with causing them to chafe to the point that wet jeans can and will literally rub off significant amounts of skin. Which leads to infection, always fun. Jeans are CRAP for situations like "being lost in Northern Canada in the depths of winter". What you want for that is not cotton but wool and synthetics, to layer so the synthetics break the wind and the wool keeps you warm, even if it gets wet. Or you can go for hide, which is really good at both so long as you leave the fur on and sew it up so's the fur is on the inside.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:56 am

Plus being caught wearing denim-on-denim is a fate far worse than death.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:32 am

The thing that bothered me about watching Josh play that game was the lack of layering clothes. Did they fix that?

BTW Denim-on-denim is a fate more common than death in Northern Canada.
McNutcase

Postby McNutcase » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:02 am

Steve C wrote:The thing that bothered me about watching Josh play that game was the lack of layering clothes. Did they fix that?

BTW Denim-on-denim is a fate more common than death in Northern Canada.

Yup, that's what the new clothing system is about. You get two shirt slots, two jacket slots, two trouser slots, two long underwear slots, two sock slots, two hat/scarf slots... you can layer really well, but it affects your sprint meter and encumbrance. They've also added a bunch more clothing options to the game, plaid shirts for extra Canadianness, more kinds of sweater, more gradations of sock...
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:33 am

Wet jeans are just the worst of the worst, they're heavy, they rub your skin off and the don't dry out quickly. If you're going on a walking trip the first the tell you is not to wear jeans.

This conversation made me do some research because I'd always associated jeans with cowboys, but why since they're so awful compared to other materials? It seems like the practical advantage of jeans/denim was that it was cheap and didn't wear out quickly. So it was mostly used by labourers. People working in fields and factory workers. I guess because cotton gets ripped to shreds too easily. The cowboy association seems real so I guess it doesn't actually rain that often in traditional cowboy areas? Or the durability is more important than the comfort/survivability?
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:25 am

McNutcase wrote:
Andrew wrote:Long Dark story mode sounds quite far away still.

Is it just me or does the new clothing system make early game significantly more brutal, and jeans even more worthless?

I love the new clothing system but it absolutely makes the early game a lot harder. I suppose the flip side to that is it makes the mid game much easier. I started a new game over the weekend and by day 7 I've already got +18 degrees (celsius, cumulative) and I haven't even got all of my clothing slots full yet.

I think the only purpose jeans serves now is for realism. As in, it is realistic that a person flying over Canada would probably be wearing jeans in a world where he/she is not expecting a giant EMP bomb to take out the world's electricity. Aside from that, jeans are basically good for 1 cloth.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:26 am

What's with all the jeans hate? I go out in jeans in -20C and below all the time. (Well, on the days it is -20 and I have to go out at least.) The only other thing wear for my legs is a layer of pajama bottoms underneath.

Is it realistic that a random Canadian is wearing jeans outside in winter? Expecting a EMP or not, the answer is yes. Jeans are what we wear. They're fine in cold weather.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:59 pm

I think they were not complaining so much about the ability of jeans to retain warmth, allthough it's not great and probably your pajama bottoms are doing most work, but that they are a terrible choice for someone who will have to survive outdors for long periods of time without access to commodities such as running water, heating and great shelter. They will get wet and cause all sort of LONG term medical trouble.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:33 pm

They are making the third part of spellforce?Yaay!!

Oh yeah,also,since the last expansion was made in 2007,the same year that episode 2 was released,this means that in 2017 we will have half life 3!
Gorse

Postby Gorse » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:27 pm

Snake Pass is the kind of game I've been wanting to play for a long time. It looks like a spiritual successor to Chameleon Twist with a healthy dose of Banjo-Kazooie, and, man - I don't really need anything else. I've always had the sneaking suspicion that British developers were the best at making 3D platformers, and I'm confident that this game is going to prove me right.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:06 am

Long War Studios, rebranded as Pavonis Interactive, to release Long War 2 mod for XCOM 2. And that's about all the information there is on it at present, so you might as well not bother clicking the link. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

cc: Humanoid, Trix2000
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:53 am

XCOM 2 being built for moddability will ensure far fewer compromises on the Long War design and the resulting ugly hacks and various unintuitive mechanics that LW 1.0 has. On the other hand they'll have to reverse course on a lot of XCOM 2's design elements such as the tight timers, greater comparative offensive capability and extreme environmental destructibility, which wouldn't really mesh with the fundamental concept of Long War. The very first thing they'd need to do is swing the pendulum back from explosives (which are more damaging and more accurate than any alternatives and effectively invalidate them at higher difficulties).

I've still only got the 40-odd hours logged on XCOM 2 and haven't even had the slightest desire to fire it up again despite owning and never playing the DLC that's been released since I played it (which I have because I bought the Deluxe edition).
John

Postby John » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:10 pm

So, more Crypt of the Necrodancer! Check out the announcement and trailer at GOG or Rock, Paper, Shotgun. This is, strictly speaking, an expansion rather than a new game and appears to be a prequel. It's got a bunch of new items, new monsters, new music and such like, but the most significant addition is probably the new playable character. From the look of it, the new character makes the game different like, say, Eli rather than stupidly hard like Aria. She turns into a bat, you see. My guess is that doing so gives her access to an alternate attack mode, but it's hard to say what that could be from just the footage in the trailer. There's also new story, but the story of Crypt of the Necrodancer is the least important part of the game and so underdone that it's hard to be excited about that.

Despite my enthusiasm for all things Necrodancer--it's the very first game that I install when I switch to a new OS or build a new PC--I think I am going to hold off buying this until it is out of Early Access. In fact, I will probably wait for a sale. I need to reduce my backlog a little. Sigh.

Return to “Videogames”