Gushing/ranting about interesting games in development

4th Dimension

Re: Gushing/ranting about interesting games in development

Postby 4th Dimension » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:47 pm

Because one interpretation could be that Walker likes to cause contraversy ie. what sells news, which is why he openly attacked Molineux right from the start to generate buzz for his interview. If that is the case him slaming on Andromeda could be more of the same. I don't know if this is the case, but I too find it pretty tasteless to start off an interview with such a question establishing a confrontational attitude. Even if Walker is 100% innocent that opening stinks to me of not looking for the truth but trying to ram through your version of the truth.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:56 pm

Considering all the supporting opinions of other people and footage, it seems there's some really bad writing and voice acting in there.
Not all of it, just way more than you'd expect from a Bioware game, and sometimes incredibly stilted.
Then has also taken the Dragon Age Inquisition route to sidequest clutter, apparently.
It doesn't impress early on, that's for sure. Seen a bunch of people who were looking forward to it suddenly flip and get very cautious.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:08 pm

Ringwraith wrote:Seen a bunch of people who were looking forward to it suddenly flip and get very cautious.

Better late then never.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:24 pm

Well, what was significant was they were the kind of people who would wade through the mediocrity for the character writing you can expect from Bioware, and they weren't getting the impression that was actually there.
Ninety-Three

Postby Ninety-Three » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:39 pm

4th Dimension wrote:Even if Walker is 100% innocent that opening stinks to me of not looking for the truth but trying to ram through your version of the truth.

Did you read the interview or just stop at the first sentence? At one point Walker catches Molyneux telling him a falsehood about how long Godus' lead developer has been with them, and instead of declaring "You lied, I win!" he immediately accepts that it's just a mistake. The interview paints a compelling picture of Molyneux as not a liar but an optimist who can't help but to over-promise.

I've noticed a trend in criticisms of that interview: they all focus on tone-policing Walker without ever contesting that the interview was informative. I assert that the interview's question of "Does Molyneux keep lying on purpose?" was important, an answer was found (all the more convincing for not matching the interviewer's apparent biases), therefore it was a good interview.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:07 am

Ringwraith wrote:Considering all the supporting opinions of other people and footage, it seems there's some really bad writing and voice acting in there.
Not all of it, just way more than you'd expect from a Bioware game, and sometimes incredibly stilted.
Then has also taken the Dragon Age Inquisition route to sidequest clutter, apparently.
It doesn't impress early on, that's for sure. Seen a bunch of people who were looking forward to it suddenly flip and get very cautious.

It's funny that people mentioned earlier that people were bringing up Kotaku liking it as a defence against RPS. Because the Kotaku podcast is basically "This seems like a bad game, but it's Bioware so it might get good after 10 hours"
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:06 am

Ninety-Three wrote:
Retsam wrote:I do think it's the job of an interviewer to be somewhat diplomatic, if only for pragmatic reasons: someone's not going to be very open with you if you immediately attack them and throw them onto the defensive.

For the sake of the argument, let's grant that John Walker is a tactless jerk who sucks at doing interviews. Why are you using that to cast aspersions on his videogame reviews? Those things are completely unrelated.

As Thomas said, the sort of person who would call their interviewee a "pathological liar" to stir up some internet controversy seems like the sort of person who might also exaggerate some opinions on an upcoming release to stir up some internet controversy.

I don't think there's any denying that Mass Effect Andromeda is pretty clearly a pretty flawed game, I'm certainly not particularly interested in defending it (I'm not even a Mass Effect fan in the first place) but I do take a controversy inducing article from a journalist with a history of inducing controversy with a grain of salt or two.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:21 am

Ninety-Three wrote:Did you read the interview or just stop at the first sentence? At one point Walker catches Molyneux telling him a falsehood about how long Godus' lead developer has been with them, and instead of declaring "You lied, I win!" he immediately accepts that it's just a mistake. The interview paints a compelling picture of Molyneux as not a liar but an optimist who can't help but to over-promise.

I've noticed a trend in criticisms of that interview: they all focus on tone-policing Walker without ever contesting that the interview was informative. I assert that the interview's question of "Does Molyneux keep lying on purpose?" was important, an answer was found (all the more convincing for not matching the interviewer's apparent biases), therefore it was a good interview.

Retsam pretty much answered it for me. I don't remember the actual contents of the interview no longer and don't have particulary strong opinions on it, but it's actual contents past the intro aren't really relevant to my point. The point is that Walker seems to be the kind of person who likes to stir contraversy to get clicks on his stuff, and that intro with that question is an example of making sure the interview is clickbait. That is not exactly the kind of behavior I like from my balanced press.

And again I'm not saying Walker is wrong, that Andromeda for example is or isn't a terrible game, I'm just trying to show why somebody could quite reasonably take anything Walker writes (and he is free to write what he wants for that matter it's his right), especially if it causes controversy with a grain of salt.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:38 am

Retsam wrote: but I do take a controversy inducing article from a journalist with a history of inducing controversy with a grain of salt or two.

4th Dimension wrote:I'm just trying to show why somebody could quite reasonably take anything Walker writes (and he is free to write what he wants for that matter it's his right), especially if it causes controversy with a grain of salt.

Why?Did he lie in any of those instances?Using hyperbole and exaggeration for your articles does not mean you are going to obfuscate things or tell outright lies.In fact,its more often those who ARE polite towards publishers that lie than the ones who are blunt and tactless.

Ive been saying for a long time that in FICTIONAL stories how something is being said is more important than what is being said.So to me,its really disturbing when people expect journalists to adopt that.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:35 am

This has long since stopped being about Mass Effect really.
Especially considering the paid-for-demo has been out in the wild for non-reviewers, and "urk" seems to be a common reaction.
Ninety-Three

Postby Ninety-Three » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:47 pm

4th Dimension wrote:
Ninety-Three wrote:
4th Dimension wrote: Even if Walker is 100% innocent that opening stinks to me of not looking for the truth but trying to ram through your version of the truth.

Did you read the interview or just stop at the first sentence? At one point Walker catches Molyneux telling him a falsehood about how long Godus' lead developer has been with them, and instead of declaring "You lied, I win!" he immediately accepts that it's just a mistake. The interview paints a compelling picture of Molyneux as not a liar but an optimist who can't help but to over-promise.

I don't remember the actual contents of the interview no longer and don't have particulary strong opinions on it, but it's actual contents past the intro aren't really relevant to my point.

"The opening suggests A."
"If you read the actual interview you will find the opposite of that."
"The actual interview isn't really relevant to my point."

k then
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:59 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:Tangents?On this forum?

It's getting a bit needlessly picky and argumentative about some writing someone did that already has supporting opinions, regardless of the previous history.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:48 pm

Ringwraith wrote:
Daemian Lucifer wrote:Tangents?On this forum?

It's getting a bit needlessly picky and argumentative about some writing someone did that already has supporting opinions, regardless of the previous history.

We are nerds,thats what we do.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:02 am

Daemian Lucifer wrote:Why?Did he lie in any of those instances?Using hyperbole and exaggeration for your articles does not mean you are going to obfuscate things or tell outright lies.In fact,its more often those who ARE polite towards publishers that lie than the ones who are blunt and tactless.

Ive been saying for a long time that in FICTIONAL stories how something is being said is more important than what is being said.So to me,its really disturbing when people expect journalists to adopt that.

Eh, one should allways ascend above ones base instincts. Sure it's fun to slap somebody that is not telling truth with a blunt question like are you a liar, but a good interviewer would have produced the same content without such language.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:14 pm

Sounds like the fears about Mass Effect are true: ArsTechnica's headline

If you’ve ever said “You know what would be awesome? If they took Dragon Age: Inquisition and reskinned it into a Mass Effect game,” then boy are you going to love Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Despite everything, I was growing towards wanting to play Andromeda. Now I don't

https://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2017/0 ... da-review/
Jokerman

Postby Jokerman » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:14 pm

Eh, its a little like it... but less grindy, better combat...

But they have completely lost it when it comes to dialogue, it's like it was written by a 13 yr old.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:04 am

The new prey looks more like a remake of system shock than the original prey.Which has me excited.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Fri May 19, 2017 3:59 am

So here's one that completely slipped past me: Valkyria Revolution!

I've been hearing rumors of a Valkyria sequel for ages, although it was usually in the form of, "Could [over-eager industry haruspicy] mean a NEW VALKYRIA CHRONICLES?! No." But it looks like they've really gone and done it. Although, it's less a sequel than a spin-off; it's not Valkyria Chronicles' weird turn-based mish-mosh of mechanics, and it's (apparently?) not set in VC's faux-World War II time period. Maybe not even the same world. It looks more like a Dynasty Warriors knockoff, with mostly melee action but with bazookas and chainguns and mechs and shit thrown in for good measure. Also looks more fantasy-medieval than Valkyria Chronicles.

The game was developed by Media.Vision, of Wild Arms quasi-fame, who also developed Valkyria Chronicles III for the PSP... for whatever that's worth. No idea how that turned out, but Wild Arms 2— a game developed almost twenty years ago— was fairly competent and kinda cute, so I don't see how this could possibly misfire. And rather than Hitoshi Sakimoto, aka the composer for Final Fantasy XII, the score was composed by Yasunori Mitsuda, aka the composer for Chrono Trigger. I'm not familiar with any of Mitsuda's recent work, but I'll certainly take that as a lateral trade for a very talented predecessor.

The game's been out since January in Glorious Nippon, and releases in June everywhere else. I'll keep my eye on it. Unless I hear it's absolute garbage, I'll probably pick it up sooner or later, since I do eventually plan on getting a PS4... someday. Probably this year, maybe. No promises.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Fri May 19, 2017 10:06 am

Yeah, it's a weird more action-y spin-off of the same sort of ideas, but set in a different world apart from some of the same technology.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Fri May 19, 2017 4:50 pm

I didn't realise it wasn't WW2 themed.

It'll be weird if this does well, because it does basically none of the things that made the original famous. It doesn't have the cool combat system, it doesn't have the (specific) setting, it doesn't have the art style. I'm open to it being good, but I'm going to need to hear it's good because it's not doing any of the things I wanted a sequel for.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Fri May 19, 2017 5:05 pm

Well the name Valkyria is so incredibly non-descriptive that it could be applied to literally any game. And they've gone and done just that. :P
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Fri May 19, 2017 7:37 pm

It's got half the elements in some form or another, it's more like a spin-off game, set during an industrial revolution-type period instead.
Hence dropping Chronicles from the title.

Return to “Videogames”