Gushing/ranting about interesting games in development

4th Dimension

Gushing/ranting about interesting games in development

Postby 4th Dimension » Fri May 06, 2016 10:40 am

This is a thread for gushing/fanboying and ranting (they changed it and now it will suck) about games that you are interested in that have been announced but aren't available yet. Also many of the games we might be interested in might only be worth couple of posts and then the thread would die. So anything that is unlikely to spawn a long thread while it's being developed should be posted here.

An example of a rant/fanboying that should have went into this thread is my recen Stellaris post: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=492&p=36784#p36784
bitterpark

Re: Gushing/ranting about interesting games in development

Postby bitterpark » Fri May 06, 2016 11:43 am

So I never really got into Paradox games, simply because I felt I could have more fun playing less demanding games in the time it would take me to learn enough of a Paradox game to begin understanding what the hell I'm supposed to do.

But from what I've heard, Stellaris is more suitable to newcomers in that regard, because the game is divided into phases, so there's actually a more traditional, smooth learning curve.

I'm not sure how it works, exactly, but it already sounds better than the usual Paradox game approach of throwing you into the deep end of the pool right away, forcing you to figure out domestic policy, diplomacy, army management, trade and everything else all at once.
Vulture

Postby Vulture » Fri May 06, 2016 12:02 pm

Well I have four games I am looking forwards to in the next 12 month sort of timeframe.

1) I can't talk about the first one, due to NDA

2) Upcoming Combat Mission updates (mostly, for me, the final months of WW2 eastern front). Disclaimer: I am on the beta testing / scenario design team for these games, so I'm not entirely impartial.

3) Not officially announced, but widely expected later in 2016: Civ 6!

4) Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen MMO (by some of the people who worked on Everquest, and want to go back to making a more old-school Everquest/vanilla WoW era MMO) with much more group-based questing and social stuff, as opposed to the more recent trends towards streamlined, efficient stuff which is reaching its logical conclusion in games like Destiny, which are basically multiplayer lobbies for doing end-game raids and dungeons and little else. That 'modern WoW' mentality has more or less branched off into an entirely new genre from the MMOs of 10 years ago, which were actually about playing a character, rather than racing to max level to get to the 'real game'.

I notice that this is all basically new versions of stuff I used to play and have been playing for many years. A great sign of middle age: I don't want any of this new rubbish. I want a better version of things I'm already familiar with. And get off my lawn.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Fri May 06, 2016 12:59 pm

bitterpark wrote:So I never really got into Paradox games, simply because I felt I could have more fun playing less demanding games in the time it would take me to learn enough of a Paradox game to begin understanding what the hell I'm supposed to do.

But from what I've heard, Stellaris is more suitable to newcomers in that regard, because the game is divided into phases, so there's actually a more traditional, smooth learning curve.

I'm not sure how it works, exactly, but it already sounds better than the usual Paradox game approach of throwing you into the deep end of the pool right away, forcing you to figure out domestic policy, diplomacy, army management, trade and everything else all at once.

If you want to know more, there are Dev Diaries that go quite a bit into how they plan for Stellaris to work: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/in ... ve.882950/

And then there is a Paradox Let's Play Stream of a campaign. They got up to middle game. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 6B54nEP-os
Kelerak

Postby Kelerak » Sat May 07, 2016 2:28 am

I played the alpha for Indivisible, the next game by Lab Zero (who made Skullgirls), and it's pretty good. I have a rocky relationship with turn-based RPGs, especially with the active-time system, but Indivisible's combat system is very neat. It combines the active-time system with the input being more akin to fighting games, where attacks are chained by player input instead of selecting from the menu. In honesty, it's like if Paper Mario's combat got rid of the menu and instead was based around the button prompts. Hell, there's even a manual guard.

It also will have guest characters from other indie games, such as Annie of the Stars from Skullgirls, Shantae, and freaking Shovel Knight.

Lab Zero hasn't disappointed me yet, as I fell in love with Skullgirls, and I hope Indivisible will do the same.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE6zS6Z9FGQ
Ronixis

Postby Ronixis » Sat May 07, 2016 2:40 am

If you have a PSP or access to the original PS1 version, you might want to play Valkyrie Profile; its combat is quite similar (and I recall the Indivisible crowdfunding pages mentioning it also).
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Sat May 07, 2016 6:41 pm

Thomas wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKZtJmt85ns

Those masks...

I have been waiting entirely too long for this game. But I'll wait as long as it takes...

Trying not to get too excited or hyped up just in case it's somehow a disappointment, but I can't really imagine it being a bad game - mediocre at worst.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sat May 07, 2016 7:24 pm

I'm realising that 2d animated cutscenes work really well with games for reasons I don't quite understand. That combination alone is going to make me more receptive to a game in the future.
Kelerak

Postby Kelerak » Sun May 08, 2016 1:10 am

Just when I was ready to give up hope of any of the promised games coming out this year, this happens. I know that it isn't an American release date, but I'm still hopeful.

Thank you, Based Atlus.
Kelerak

Postby Kelerak » Tue May 17, 2016 2:26 am

Wii U Zelda is going to be shown at E3.

I've prepared my wallet for being thrown at the computer screen.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Tue May 17, 2016 2:30 am

Kelerak wrote:I've prepared my wallet for being thrown at the computer screen.

Turns out that's the new controller gimmick for the NX.

Anyway, Obsidian have confirmed that Pillars of Eternity is in the works, which I don't feel strongly about one way or the other. However the same interview also revealed they had a team involving Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky working on something "new". Combined with the prior news of Boyarsky's hiring (meaning two-thirds of Troika are now at Obsidian), the fact that the company is working on something using the Unreal engine, and that Paradox/White Wolf filing a trademark for Vampire Bloodlines, rampant and optimistic speculation has begun in earnest.
Last edited by Humanoid on Tue May 17, 2016 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kelerak

Postby Kelerak » Tue May 17, 2016 2:33 am

I heard it was powered by the splooge of fanboys during E3. Rumors must not have been true, I guess.
Ninety-Three

Postby Ninety-Three » Tue May 17, 2016 3:26 am

Humanoid wrote:Anyway, Obsidian have confirmed that Pillars of Eternity is in the works...

It took me a long time to figure out you dropped a "2", that was very confusing.
Jokerman

Postby Jokerman » Tue May 17, 2016 3:52 pm

Last edited by Jokerman on Wed May 18, 2016 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Tue May 17, 2016 11:55 pm

All vampires all day at the moment.

I'm very curious about Vampyr because it started development before Life is Strange was out (possibly before Life is Strange?). So this is going to be DONTNOD as they've been transitioning from Remember Me to LiS. So I don't even really know what the gameplay is going to be like, but since DONTNOD haven't failed to deliver an interesting game yet, its on the watch list. The only off putting thing for me is that they sound like they really going to embrace vampirism and that might get a little too dark.

---------------------

It's also interesting to see that Obsidian seem to have fully transitioned to the Double Fine model now of lots of slightly smaller scale games in development all the time. I'm a little disappointed in that I've found that I enjoy 3D modelled games quite a bit more than isometric games, and this probably means a lot of isometric games, but happy that it looks like Obsidian have found some stability at last.

It might not yet be time to fully declare the return of AA gaming, but Paradox as a publisher is making a strong case for it.

EDIT:
It's silly for me to be hyped by Hideo Kojima's new game, especially since even he doesn't really know what it is yet. But still
http://www.polygon.com/2016/5/17/116922 ... deo-kojima
'cos it's Hideo Kojima even an image like that fills my mind with speculation. Given his like of robots, I'm calling dibs on the suit being more in-control than the person inside it.
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Thu May 26, 2016 9:27 pm

Welp, Mighty No 9 (the kickstarted spiritual-successor to MegaMan) has a trailer. And, uhh, it's certainly something.

For one thing the trailer is trash: the jokes range from "that was supposed to be a joke, right?" to "insulting the target audience". I can only hope they intended it to be self-aware parody of video game ads from the 90s, but it doesn't come across as self-aware at all (at least not to me).

But more importantly... the game just doesn't look good. The fact that their headline features consist of "You can dash in midair!" and "You can get a high score!" and "You can get passive bonuses by dashing through enemies!" is really damning by faint praise.

If this game really is as bad as it's looking, it could be a moderately sized brouhaha: according to wikipediathis is the 5th highest crowdefunded video game, so a bomb here could have some kickback.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Thu May 26, 2016 9:50 pm

I've heard there was already some kickstarter unrest before the release of the trailer too.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Thu May 26, 2016 10:36 pm

That, and the game looks like a Steam release of a Dreamcast title with marginally upscaled textures.
Kelerak

Postby Kelerak » Fri May 27, 2016 12:16 am

Now, is it actually releasing this time?
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Fri May 27, 2016 12:41 am

Eh, there's been "unrest" over Kickstarter since Double Fine's fizzling on their adventure game. I think things have more or less settled into a status quo. Naturally fans are going to be disappointed by a poor release, and some will blame Kickstarter. The process has survived half a dozen "crises" by now, it isn't going anywhere.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Fri May 27, 2016 1:10 am

I didn't even remember that I'd backed it (for minimum amount) until I got an email last week to select which platform I want. And honestly, despite being a backer, I was never really interested in the game: it was more a sort of peer-pressure thing (though I don't mean that in a bad way).

I've never played a Megaman game, but I'm familiar with the gameplay. So with this new game, I mean, it's just a platformer and never promised anything but, did people expect some sort of genre revolution? Even Nintendo with all their resources is barely innovating anymore (see SMB Wii/U).
Kelerak

Postby Kelerak » Fri May 27, 2016 1:31 am

It was more so because the Kickstarter launched when Kickstarter was first launched, and there (allegedly) hasn't been a good Mega Man since 10, since Capcom refuses to do anything with the license.

Mighty No. 9 was supposed to be the pioneer of indie games made possible by fan contributions, but has screwed over the fans since the Kickstarter first launched. Hell, even Mighty Gunvolt came out before Mighty No. 9, and that was supposed to be the big crossover game with Azure Striker Gunvolt after both games built up their reputation.

So, yeah, I expect Mighty No. 9 to be nothing above mediocre.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Fri May 27, 2016 1:41 am

I don't get the feeling that it's one of the early Kickstarter games, I'm pretty sure it happened right at the peak of the "bubble"? As someone who's been in since the first Double Fine pitch, my memory is of having backed several other games (ones I was actually interested in) before putting in a token pledge to this one.

EDIT: According to my backer history, which appears to be in chronological order, these Kickstarters came before Mighty #9 (ones in bold have been released):

Double Fine Adventure
Wasteland 2
Shadowrun Returns
Pinkerton Road (Moebius)
Leisure Suit Larry
The Banner Saga
Tex Murphy

SpaceVenture
Dead State
Broken Sword 5
Expeditions: Conquistador
Pillars of Eternity

Hero-U
Star Citizen
Sui Generis
Dreamfall Chapters
Torment: Numenara
Shroud of the Avatar
Divinity: Original Sin
Worlds of Magic
Jagged Alliance Flashback
AR-K
Unrest
Massive Chalice
Satellite Reign

Project Phoenix
Nordicus

Postby Nordicus » Fri May 27, 2016 11:40 am

Retsam wrote:Welp, Mighty No 9 (the kickstarted spiritual-successor to MegaMan) has a trailer. And, uhh, it's certainly something.

For one thing the trailer is trash: the jokes range from "that was supposed to be a joke, right?" to "insulting the target audience". I can only hope they intended it to be self-aware parody of video game ads from the 90s, but it doesn't come across as self-aware at all (at least not to me).
I am almost betting on Deep Silver being behind that trailer because It'd take Inafune some balls to greenlight that when his Red Ash game kickstarter had an anime kickstarter running at the same time!

Return to “Videogames”