Psst there's a good deal on the internet

Steve C

Re: Psst there's a good deal on the internet

Postby Steve C » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:22 am

Thanks John. That is a very good Humble Bundle. I had Hand of Fate and Armello on my list. Nothing in the middle tier interests me so I'm just going to pay $1 and not bother with Armello. The Warlock of Firetop Mountain looks more interesting than Hand of Fate. I will second Satellite Reign as being awesome. Well worth the $1 on it's own. (Bonus! The four I bought from tier 1 are all direct downloads. No Steam required. Hell ya.)

There's also a second Bundle: Humble Endless RPG Bundle. I've got half the games in it. Endless Legend is definitely worth the $5.40 they are currently asking.

As for the Stardock sale... It's not for me. It says "up to 75% off!" on that splash page and pretty much everything is regular price.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:54 am

In a move that will surprise absolutely no one- Sears is going bankrupt. There might be some deals there. Definitely not on games, but maybe household goods. "Maybe" being a key word. It is still Sears.

Sears, with your mail order distribution, showrooms, credit cards and infrastructure you were perfectly positioned 20yrs ago to be bigger than Amazon today. You idiots deserve to go out of business.
Charnel Mouse

Postby Charnel Mouse » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:57 pm

It also includes Hand of Fate on the lowest tier, if anyone missed that up 'til now.
John

Postby John » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:50 am

Yet another Humble Bundle. They're calling this one Jumble Bundle 10. No, I don't know why. Pay what you want for Grey Goo, Oddworld New 'N' Tasty, and, um, Epistory Typing Chronicles. Pay more than the average for Prototype 2, Kingdom: New Lands, and How To Survive 2 ( plus more games to be revealed in about a week). Pay $10 or more and get Wasteland 2, which normally goes for about $40. As far as I'm concerned this is not so much a Bundle as a really good sale on Wasteland 2. I've wanted Wasteland 2 for a long time and I'd be interested in Grey Goo if it only had a Linux version--it's been ages since I played a semi-contemporary RTS--but I neither know nor care about any of the other games.

I believe this is the first Bundle since Humble Bundle was acquired by IGN. Make of that what you will.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:48 pm

There is also a second Humble Bundle. There's always a second Bundle nowadays.

I used to really like Humble Bundles even if I didn't buy it. Now I'm ambivalent to them most of the time. Grey Goo is a perfect example of why. I used to be able to count on Humble Bundle giving a quick and accurate description of each of the games. In the ye olde days of yesteryear that included a voice over description. Now it's just a cutscene. I watched the advertisement video for Grey Goo and I have no idea what the gameplay of Grey Goo is like. Is it good? Is it bad? Is it a game I'd enjoy? I don't know. More importantly, I don't care anymore. The ad wasted my time.

More and more Humble Bundles are showing crap like Grey Goo instead of something with merit. It turns me off buying anything at all from them. Hopefully IGN will tune HB according to my tastes and actually have Humble advertise the products they are selling. I doubt it.
John

Postby John » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:41 am

I'll grant you the broader point--that Humble Bundle doesn't provide a lot of information about the games in bundles--but you may be being just a little unfair to poor Grey Goo there. As I understand things, it's a fairly competent old-school-ish RTS game by Petroglyph, "Makers of Fairly Competent Old-School-Ish RTS Games Since Whatever Year It Was That EA Closed Down Westwood".
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:33 am

I forgot to suspend my Humble Monthly sub (which I have done for a few months consecutively now) and so have accidentally ended up with a copy of TESO. Oh well, hope there's something decent in the rest of the games to be revealed shortly.

I'll probably buy the Full Throttle bundle because it's been over a decade since I last played it. The rest is just random extras.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:50 pm

I consider the Grey Goo "advertisement" to be the same kind of computer game ad from 80s. Ugh. It is literally a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury. Signifying nothing. The complete lack of useful advertising is the reason why I don't play AAA games. (Pretty much at all at this point.) I have no idea what they are about. I like my ads to be like the ads for Good Robot: 1)demonstrate the product, 2)show me why I'd want it, 3)inform me on how to get it.

It can be a computer game, it can be a TV, it can be a car, it can be soap, a shaver, whatever. If the ad is all flash and no substance, I ignore the flash and take the core message-- that the product has no substance.
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:10 pm

Steve C wrote:I like my ads to be like...

Is it really hard for you to imagine that not everyone looks for the same things in ads that you do? Yes, Grey Goo's trailer doesn't actually show off the mechanics of the game, but some people enjoy the world-building stuff: the story and setting and premise is a part of the game, as well, not just the mechanics.

It's not like this trailer exists in a vacuum and is your only source of information on which to base your decision about this game. There's a pretty good textual description of the game next to the trailer, and if that interests you enough that you want to see what the gameplay is like, the game's website is two clicks away, or there's always YouTube.

---

And, debate about the philosophy of game trailers aside, even supposing that there's one correct way to do game trailers and Grey Goo isn't it... I'm really not sure what part of this is Humble Bundle's fault. For better or worse, that's the trailer that the makers of Grey Goo chose to show.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:59 am

Is it really hard for you to imagine that not everyone looks for the same things in ads that you do?

Uhh is it really hard for you to phrase things in a way that isn't needlessly confrontational for no reason?

I didn't say Everyone Must Do X. I said if X is done, then I don't like it. Therefore I don't buy it.

Humble used to do Y. I miss the old Y. Humble was a store I liked because it catered to my preferences. Let me repeat: Humble used to show ads I liked. Now they show ads I do not like. That's on Humble. Humble did not used to show trailers because that's what the makers of that game wanted shown. That change is also on Humble.
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:28 am

Uhh is it really hard for you to phrase things in a way that isn't needlessly confrontational for no reason?

With you, apparently, yes. For some reason your particular way of stating your opinion frequently rubs me the wrong way, and I rolled a 1 on my self-restraint check this afternoon. Sorry for the hostile comment.
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:28 am

With you, apparently, yes. For some reason your particular way of stating your opinion frequently rubs me the wrong way, and I rolled a 1 on my self-restraint check this afternoon. Sorry for the hostile comment.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:22 am

You also rolled a 1 against double posting.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:22 am

Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:23 am

Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:28 pm

I once rolled a 1 to hit an enemy with a friend's character (friend was going to be late and entrusted their character to me until they arrived). DM had me roll again to see what would happen. I rolled another 1. DM had me roll again. Another 1.

My friend's character tripped and was impaled on her own halberd for instant death.

Friends don't let friends roll 1's.
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:57 pm

On the bright side, you successfully pre-rolled the ones out of that die.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:23 am

Sales is everywhere, y'all! GOG, Humble, Steam, etc.; digital storefronts are getting out ahead of Black Friday, so it would be easier to list places that aren't running some sort of special.

I just picked up Slime Rancher, Prey, and The Witness. I'm still interested in Resident Evil VII, but more for curiosity's sake than anything, so I'm holding off in that. We'll see if it rolls back further in the Winter Sale era.

So, since this time of year might be a good time to pick up what we've let slip, I put the question to you folks: what games of this past year (or whenever) do you think got passed over, mostly? What game would you just be overjoyed to find out that more people suddenly started taking an interest in? I guess it's never too late to find out if you, too, have the specific brain malfunctions that make me love NieR: Automata and Dragon's Dogma. The former still isn't going super cheap ($35), but DDDA is just over ten bucks from my vantage.
John

Postby John » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:07 am

The Rocketeer wrote:So, since this time of year might be a good time to pick up what we've let slip, I put the question to you folks: what games of this past year (or whenever) do you think got passed over, mostly? What game would you just be overjoyed to find out that more people suddenly started taking an interest in? I guess it's never too late to find out if you, too, have the specific brain malfunctions that make me love NieR: Automata and Dragon's Dogma. The former still isn't going super cheap ($35), but DDDA is just over ten bucks from my vantage.

Oh, man. I have issues with game sales at this time of year. I feel like I should be spending money on Christmas gifts for other people and not on games for myself. Also, I am generally too cheap to buy games in the year that they were released. So I am probably not the best person to answer this question. Maybe ask me again in a month.

. . . Ah, nevermind. I'll shoot my big mouth off anyway. There were three games released this year that more people should get and then talk about where I can hear them, the better to inform my eventual purchasing decisions. The first is Battle Brothers, because it sounds almost exactly like the game I would make if I were better at making games. It's sort of like Mount & Blade with turn-based tactical combat. The second is Kingdoms & Castles, a sort of base-building RTS thing. I've heard it's short and shallow, but I love turtling and reasonably brief play sessions so that's okay with me. Finally, there's Disgaea 2 (which was just released on PC--with a Linux port!--back in January, so it totally still counts). I binged hard on Disgaea DS about nine years ago. The grind eventually got to be too much for me, so I never unlocked all the challenges, alternate endings, or character classes--but I definitely got my money's worth from the game. Then my DS died. The idea that I can have more of that style and tone without needing to buy a new console is hard to resist.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:14 am

Yeah, I don't see much point in digital games buying this late in Autumn, just cuz everybody even slightly adjacent to the know, will know that the biggest sale of the year is only a month away. You're better off buying literally anything else, that won't be on sale leading up to Christmas.

As for your second question, I... actually have not played any games released this year? I've been real busy with Adult Business the past few months, which has actually for the first time in two decades pretty much displaced gaming from my life. I've bought Tyranny, which I think came out this year? My brother and I went halfsies on Divinity OS2 for his birthday this month. But I haven't played either of them.

I suppose in a more general take on the question, there's some games that I think have been overlooked in history that had merits. Usually games that have enough going for them that you can totally see them being classics, if only they actually had all of what they needed. Games like New Vegas, Valkyria Chronicles, and Jade Empire. None of those are really that obscure, but they're what I see in my library that fit this mold.

A game I do consider a full classic that I don't think made a big enough splash was Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. I believe it's been discussed here before.

I've got a game of Septerra Core started. It might fit into my "missed classic" category, only old enough and with enough similar releases at the same time that it's dropped into obscurity. Late 90's RPG. Western developed, but like Anachronox, basically a JRPG. It features a setting with a world made of layers, like an onion, only the layers are continents. I think that eventually you get to travel between them and it's kinda like Chronotrigger in that you're basically moving between different world maps, only the set dressing here is movement in space rather than movement in time. The starting layer though is very brown, post-apoc. Very Fallout, which was running around this same time too. So the beginning looks like Fallout, while the game played kind of like FF7, making this a middle child squashed between giants, and without the production values of either. It's really not any wonder that it fell between the cracks. Remains to be seen how good it is though. I'm only about an hour in.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:16 am

I won't fail to plug the Trails games if you like your long JRPGs at all, in terms of games that are relatively not talked about.
They're the best ones going I feel.
The caveat being of course, they are loooong, and frequently come in two parts with those cliffhanger endings. So you get into one and you're usually looking at 100+ hours across two games to see the plot actually conclude.
Last edited by Ringwraith on Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:28 am

^ For someone who found Trails 1 a bit too clunky and dated but who has learned it's only the sixth title of a series of thirteen so far, would it be worth jumping forward and trying a newer entry? Or is it just more of the same, but in 3D?
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:59 am

It's a bit less clunky, by not being ~12 years old, including having a native skip animation shortcut, though all PC versions of the games now have Turbo mode, so you can vastly accelerate anything you think it is taking too long (it was added to Sky after the PC Cold Steel came out with to begin with). Plus has a bit of a stronger start by virtue of a future action prologue.
Also voice acting! It has a lot of good voice acting, especially as the PC port has about 50% more lines than the original.
Generally a younger cast though by virtue of being set in a military academy.

(Though it still might spoil the odd thing from Sky if you think about certain things for any length of time, as it does take place a couple of years after the first Sky, so sometimes things are referenced, Cold Steel II casually drops even more spoilers as if they're not spoilers).
Still has a cliffhanger ending though.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:24 am

A stronger start would definitely have helped, given the unironic use of baby's first RPG trope of killing rats in a sewer previously.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:43 am

Yeah, it's apparently more a reference to one of their older games where sewer exploration was also the final test to passing a thing.
Though Sky's got a real problem of constantly pretending it's got nothing going on. It works better sometimes than others when you're clearly just entry-level, like when a plot becomes so important it gets kicked upstairs away from you and it just makes sense, as you're not the centre of the universe.

Whereas Cold Steel immediately jumps in with this.

Return to “Videogames”